Adventures By Disney Taking A Beating

lugnut33

DIS Veteran
I stumbled upon a thread over in the Adventures By Disney (ABD) area of the Dis forums and wow ABD is getting raked over the coals.

Two days ago ABD released their new tours and pricing which ended up being met with a cold shoulder by many. Those people taking ABD tours are dropping some serious money and they expected a little love in return. However, same as Disney has done for the last several years in many realms of their business, they are jacking the pricing up to find that ceiling and to obtain absolute maximum profits from those willing to pay. Yeah, it might be the American way, but they have really upset a lot of loyal customers.

Matter of fact, ABD was getting pounded so heavily that a ABD representitive posted in the thread trying to put out the fire.

Check out the controversy:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2253556

For me, it's sad to see Disney get more associated with greed than magic and pixie dust. Maybe they need to have a new meet and greet character, Gordon Gecko.

I'll check the thread out after I finish typing this, but the ABD are absurdly expensive. I can't get over how much they charge. It's ridiculous. I checked out a few for the summer/fall. I was disgusted by the prices! For the destinations that are very close to me the cost was that of a WDW trip! :scared1:

I just read through quite a few of the posts including the supposed ABD CM's. At first, I was very skeptical that this was really a CM posting on the DIS. In the past, I've only seen CMs on the lower lines post officially (CRO, dining, etc.), but this person seems to be a higher up. I'm kind of surprised by this. Does this mean that Disney is paying more attention to sites like the DIS for guest feedback? We've always assumed (some have "known") that they look here when doing "a little research," but this sounds like they are monitoring it more closely. If so, why aren't they concentrating on the big complaints so many DISers have?

DU has recently begun promoting the ABD products and has the group ABD tour scheduled for April - which is already sold out. That may be why Disney is watching the DIS closely or more closely as related to ABD - since DU was able to sell out an entire tour very quickly.

ABD is marketed in the luxury travel category, so I'm not surprised if the pricing reflected it.

The Backstage Magic one at DL is one of the more affordable ones (compared to the Europe/Asia/Austrailia tours), and I thought I got what I paid for.

I always think it is interesting when I hear that Disney reads forums- which they should! It is good feedback for them. I think Dodie is right.

Unless we win the lottery I know we will never be able to afford an Adventures by Disney trip. Tours are out of our price range anyway and the prices of ABD tours are :scared1:! My parents just did a huge tour of Ireland with another company and had a wonderful time for much less. I am sure ABD is amazing for those who can afford it.

ABD is very expensive, but it is marketed as a luxury vacation. From reading many ABD trip reports, I saw you could definitely do cheaper, but there are so many things you wouldn't be able to see or do. Like Kevin or John said after their trip....Disney opens doors. They got to see things regular tourists wouldn't. I know on the Hollywood trip you get into the Muppets Creature Shop. It is not open to the public at all, so you wouldn't get to go there any other way. Same with other things on the intineraries. I don't know how much prices went up, but when I was looking into ABD a couple months ago, I agree that it was expensive, but it also seemed worth it.

I read their thread this afternoon, and I can understand the frustration.

To me, it boils down to what Pete in particular has said before - there really is no loyalty program to the existing and return travelers! From what they were posting, quite a few of them had this day marked in their planners to call so they could get their early booking discount, and apparently that is no longer available.

I think this is an issue that Disney needs to address, and I don't just see it in the ABD area. As has been talked about before, there is no loyalty program for returning guests - unlike other hotel and travel chains, Disney doesn't give you "credits" towards future stays, merchandise, etc like other businesses do. DVC members are spending $$$ to buy into DVC, but they are not allowed to participate with their points in the 4/3 deals, the free dining, etc. And now it seems the ABD folks are experiencing this as well.

I love Disney and it continues to be my #1 travel destination (just look at my signature :lmao:) but it does burn me that if you're a returning guest who spends beaucoup dollars over years with them, you don't get any more perks. In the past, I don't think they felt they had to since they didn't have any trouble getting guests in the parks and hotels - when you're the #1 family vacation destination in the US (and perhaps the world), you don't always need to do "gimmies" and deals to attract people and bring them in, which frankly is why these other companies do those loyalty programs. They don't have the draw of Disney and so they have to get people in the door by dangling a variety of carrots in front of them. But now with the current economy, and Disney seeing its numbers get lower and lower, you would think the LAST people they would want to tick off are those returning guests.

Just my 2 cents.

ABD is so far out of our range that I didn't read much of the thread that you linked to. I did search for the ABD cast member's post, though. I was really quite shocked when I found it. I have never known a Disney rep to respond to a thread. Very cool!

Thanks for sharing.

I'll check the thread out after I finish typing this, but the ABD are absurdly expensive. I can't get over how much they charge. It's ridiculous. I checked out a few for the summer/fall. I was disgusted by the prices! For the destinations that are very close to me the cost was that of a WDW trip! :scared1:

I just read through quite a few of the posts including the supposed ABD CM's. At first, I was very skeptical that this was really a CM posting on the DIS. In the past, I've only seen CMs on the lower lines post officially (CRO, dining, etc.), but this person seems to be a higher up. I'm kind of surprised by this. Does this mean that Disney is paying more attention to sites like the DIS for guest feedback? We've always assumed (some have "known") that they look here when doing "a little research," but this sounds like they are monitoring it more closely. If so, why aren't they concentrating on the big complaints so many DISers have?

Which is a shame too because there are some really cool sounding ones... I just don't think I could stomach dropping 8-9K on ABD, plus air. Honestly if I am going to spend that much to go to France or London, I'd rather make my own plans... schedule some 3 Michelin Star restaurants... Head to the Fat Duck in England or El Bulli in Spain.

DU has recently begun promoting the ABD products and has the group ABD tour scheduled for April - which is already sold out. That may be why Disney is watching the DIS closely or more closely as related to ABD - since DU was able to sell out an entire tour very quickly.

Well there goes my shot at the prizematron!!

I was just skimming that thread and one person said the trip they wanted to book has gone up $1,200 from last year! :scared1: I was thinking they went up a couple hundred dollars. Wow. :sad2:

Which is a shame too because there are some really cool sounding ones... I just don't think I could stomach dropping 8-9K on ABD, plus air. Honestly if I am going to spend that much to go to France or London, I'd rather make my own plans... schedule some 3 Michelin Star restaurants... Head to the Fat Duck in England or El Bulli in Spain.

I love what Heston Blumenthal does :lovestruc my area of work is science and to link it with food and all the techniques he uses - amazing :thumbsup2

Have you seen his TV shows? He does one about getting the perfect dish (such as fish and chips, chilli con carne, black forest gateaux) and another where he recreated a period feast - Roman, Tudor, Victorian etc. (some bits were a little gross and it's not for kids but I thoroughly enjoyed it :goodvibes).
For example in the Victorian one he themed it on Alice In Wonderland and did a 'drink me' course, he extracted flavours like burnt toast (I can't remember the others but they are from the book) and layered them so when you drank it you would get one flavour after another :eek: If I wasn't at work I would see if I could find a Youtube link.

Sorry to go OT, but I would love to go to the Fat Duck (if I ate seafood I probably would) he also has a pub which serves his food (bit easier on the wallet)

ABD - seems very expensive for what you get, I'm sure it would be a lovely experience but these days it doesn't take much to custom your own itinerary and do it independantly. I think the only original and exclusive tour they offer is the Backstage Disney one in DL. Maybe if we come into some money but I wouldn't save up to do that (it would take too long and I could have multiple DVC stays in the meantime and just have to pay for airfare and park tickets)

To me, it boils down to what Pete in particular has said before - there really is no loyalty program to the existing and return travelers! From what they were posting, quite a few of them had this day marked in their planners to call so they could get their early booking discount, and apparently that is no longer available.

I think this is an issue that Disney needs to address, and I don't just see it in the ABD area. As has been talked about before, there is no loyalty program for returning guests - unlike other hotel and travel chains, Disney doesn't give you "credits" towards future stays, merchandise, etc like other businesses do. DVC members are spending $$$ to buy into DVC, but they are not allowed to participate with their points in the 4/3 deals, the free dining, etc. And now it seems the ABD folks are experiencing this as well.

I agree.

What I don't understand is that since Disney reps read the boards, and in the ABD case, post as Disney reps - shouldn't Disney have known the reaction that was coming from their customers. Why on earth would you want to annoy your customers who have their calendar and clocks set to call you to book $10,000 trips! (One posted mentioned that he and their friends were calling that morning to book 2 trips for four, because he had been an ABD trip and talked their friend into going.)

What is going on at Disney?

I've always wanted to take an ABD trip, but it looks like I'm scratching that one off my bucket list.

I love what Heston Blumenthal does :lovestruc my area of work is science and to link it with food and all the techniques he uses - amazing :thumbsup2

Have you seen his TV shows? He does one about getting the perfect dish (such as fish and chips, chilli con carne, black forest gateaux) and another where he recreated a period feast - Roman, Tudor, Victorian etc. (some bits were a little gross and it's not for kids but I thoroughly enjoyed it :goodvibes).
For example in the Victorian one he themed it on Alice In Wonderland and did a 'drink me' course, he extracted flavours like burnt toast (I can't remember the others but they are from the book) and layered them so when you drank it you would get one flavour after another :eek: If I wasn't at work I would see if I could find a Youtube link.

Sorry to go OT, but I would love to go to the Fat Duck (if I ate seafood I probably would) he also has a pub which serves his food (bit easier on the wallet)

ABD - seems very expensive for what you get, I'm sure it would be a lovely experience but these days it doesn't take much to custom your own itinerary and do it independantly. I think the only original and exclusive tour they offer is the Backstage Disney one in DL. Maybe if we come into some money but I wouldn't save up to do that (it would take too long and I could have multiple DVC stays in the meantime and just have to pay for airfare and park tickets)

Can't say I have seen his show... I'll have to check BBC America and see if its on there... The only british show I have watched is the UK version of Kitchen Nightmares.

El Bulli and The Fat Duck are two of the top in the world... I believe they have been 1-2 for the last 4-5 years. I look for the list yearly to see how Alinea does, which is located here in Chicago. I am DYING to go there... The stuff he does is amazing... It's as if Willy Wonka opened a restaurant. Check out his site sometime and you can see.

Can't say I have seen his show... I'll have to check BBC America and see if its on there... The only british show I have watched is the UK version of Kitchen Nightmares.

El Bulli and The Fat Duck are two of the top in the world... I believe they have been 1-2 for the last 4-5 years. I look for the list yearly to see how Alinea does, which is located here in Chicago. I am DYING to go there... The stuff he does is amazing... It's as if Willy Wonka opened a restaurant. Check out his site sometime and you can see.

Here is a clip of him making the drink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nyVrGFFkLY&feature=fvw

There are more clips from the same channel (which is actually Channel 4 - one of the main stations here) so you should be able to find a few more bits.

I will check out Alinea - I wish I could afford to go to places like this, maybe for a treat at some point. I'd love to hear about it if you go.

We also love Ramseys Kitchen Nightmares :rotfl: both the UK and US episodes :lmao:

I really want to go on an ABD tour but I just can't see spending that much money, especially for 4.

Dumb question. I know what ABD is (Adventures By Disney), but what EBD. I can't read the rest of the thread til I know. HA! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!