Adventurers in Septemberer -- Food & Wine, MNSSHP, and Adventurer's Club!

I recently got back from my October trip (this past Friday.) It has been so refreshing to relive some of my trip through your detailed reporting.....the smell of AKL......Jiko---ate there for the first time and :love: it. I had the pistachio creme brulee too :thumbsup2 At first I thought like I was cheating on Boma but that quickly passed, after all I did have breakfast there earlier in the week!

You are so right! What happened to Stacy? With her weird swagger and strange pants :confused3

So happy you liked the AKL....that is my home resort and I love it there.

Tracy

Manntra, thanks for chiming in! I totally understand why you love the AKL -- now we do too -- and I'm glad the TR is bringing back happy memories of your trip. It's starting to seem like a long time ago to me -- I'd better get busy working on new installments! Here's a short one, for now

Day Two (Thursday, Sept. 24): OMG STILL

The alarm rings at 6:30, just like it usually does at home. Of course, I usually ignore it at home, but we’re not at home today, are we? Nope – we’re in DISNEY WORLD. Time to get up and get out there!

On our planning spreadsheet, today was to be spent at either Typhoon Lagoon or the Studios. We’d made ADRs at the Studios for today, thinking we’d cancel them if we decided to hit the Lagoon instead, but it looks like we’ll be using them – we’re meeting Circusgirl at rope drop! :banana:

First, a peek out the window at the vultures in the trees:

vultureTR.jpg

("Don't mind us, we're just out here, waiting for something to die so we can eat it." :rolleyes1)

Then it’s downstairs through the lobby, past Jiko and Boma, outdoors and around the bend to the Mara, for a grab-and-go breakfast of yogurt, fruit, and granola, with a muffin for Bill, which we eat at a very pleasant outdoor table. The sparrows and magpies at the AKL are some pushy little birdies, all hopping around and cocking their heads at us like, “You gonna give us some crumbs? Snow White would totally give us some crumbs.” We don’t feed them any of our sugary human foods, so they hop over to another table, looking hopefully at the diners there. It’s delightful to be here in the warm morning air, enjoying the peaceful vibe of the place.

There’s no bus to the Studios at the bus stop (and it’s only 7:45, when the park doesn’t open until 9, so why would we expect one?), so we grab a cab, and make it to the Studios lot by 8:10. The guy at bag check greets me as “Princess” – how did he know? He must have seen us disembark from the cab. All he forgot was the “Jewish American” part. princess:

We are first in line at our turnstile:

ropedropTR.jpg

Oh, the very first-ness of it all! Maybe being first at the turnstile is overkill, but in general, I would rather wait 45 minutes in the morning for rope drop than wait hours later in the day for rides.

Of course, some families are getting early entry to the park for their breakfasts at Hollywood and Vine, and I ask the CM at that turnstile if they have any walk-up tables available, which they do. But my question is purely academic, for curiosity’s sake – we just ate, and we have a date with Circusgirl!

She arrives shortly after we do, and we greet each other with great joy. Hooray for the DIS boards; hooray for making friends online and then getting to see them in person! :disrocks:

Speaking of meeting famous online folks in person, Chuck and Lynn (nts4wdw) are also here for rope drop, and I walk over to their line to say hello. They’re lovely people with big, friendly smiles, and we look forward to hanging out with them some more tonight at the Adventurers’ Club.

As soon as the turnstiles open, Circusgirl and Bill and I hustle to the rope and watch the opening ceremonies – “Hollywood, here we come!” We walk quickly with the rest of the very eager crowd over to Toy Story, where we grab some FPs and then enter the standby line.

Happy people in line for Toy Story:

handbTR.JPG

It’s wonderful to catch up with Circusgirl in person as we walk through the short line; we talk about life in general, and she also gives us some tips for high scores on the ride. We follow them as best we can, and at the end of the ride, both Bill and Circusgirl are awarded places on the honor roll of high scores for the day! Of course, the day has just begun…

We decide to get back in line for another ride, even though the standby line is now all the way out the door. But wait times are posted at 20 minutes, so maybe this long line will move faster than advertised. While we’re waiting, a cute little desk lamp comes out of a nearby window and hops around:

lampTR.JPG

Almost diverts us from the fact that the line is not moving at all.

We start to strategize. It’s 9:30, and almost time for us to get another Fast Pass to go with the 9:45 FPs we’re already holding. Should we stay on this long, unmoving line, or should we do something else nearby, and get the FPs as soon as they become available to us? As we’re waiting, still outside the ride building, we see the posted wait time jump from 20 to 50 minutes. That makes our decision for us – we’re leaving the line and going to One Man’s Dream.

Though Bill and Circusgirl and I are all well-versed in Walt Disney history, it’s still a must-do to walk through One Man’s Dream. We’re as interested in talking with each other as we are in looking at the exhibits, but we definitely give Walt his due, in between our chatty chat. At exactly 9:44, I grab everyone’s park passes, and hit the Toy Story FP machines for another set (I think they were for 1 p.m.); then I meet them back at One Man’s Dream in time for a showing of the film.

“I hope we never lose sight of the fact that it was all started by a mouse.” How many times have I heard this famous saying of Walt’s? And yet it strikes me anew today – what did he mean by this? Was he talking about himself? A man of humble beginnings, without any great advantages besides talent and determination – is he the mouse he’s referring to here? To me, this saying has always meant that big achievements start with small ideas; it’s not like he said, at the beginning of his career, “I know – I’ll create the world’s largest tourist destination, based on the principles of imagination, family fun, and education. It’ll cover 30,000 acres in Orlando, Florida, it’ll have 22 resorts and four parks and two water parks and a shopping and entertainment area, and monorails, and giant stuffed animals that hug you. Also, we’ll make films, acquire a TV network, expand the parks to other continents, and put our brand’s icons on everything from t-shirts to ice cube trays.” (Note: Bill and I own a set of Mickey-head ice cube trays. They make every drink happier.)

No – what he said was, “Here’s a drawing of a mouse. I’ll tell stories about this mouse using the medium of animation. People will enjoy that, and so will I.” Everything else came out of this first idea: to use animation to tell a story about a likeable character.

But it’s also true that everything came from this one man – his personality, his spirit, his imagination. In reality, Walt was the “mouse” who started it all, not Mickey. Is that what he meant, in that famous quote? I wonder…

With new food for thought, and with two Toy Story FPs in our pocket, we make a unanimous decision to hop over to the Tower of Terror to see what wait times are like. The sign says 30 minutes, but it’s more like a 10 minute wait before we’re in the boiler room, loading into a creaky, dingy, old elevator. We rise, the doors open, and we witness a spooky scene, a deserted hotel hallway which turns into a pitch black field with bright pinpoint stars; then it’s up a few more floors, where our elevator mysteriously moves forward (are elevators supposed to do that?) through dreamlike images of dolls, eyes, and equations. A sparkling cluster of blue-white lights resolves itself into two bright, thin lines, which part, and then we’re really in for it…

AAAAAAHHHHHH! :scared1:

The elevator plunges without warning! Fortunately, some mechanism seems to catch it before we’re dashed to the ground at a terrifying speed, and the car rises again…

Only to fall once more! And then rise! And a window opens, and we can see how high above the park we are, but only briefly, because it’s time for another…

Plummet, rise, plummet, rise – you can’t tell what this elevator will do next, you just have to hope and pray that it will eventually return you safely to the ground floor, where you’ll hear a warning before you’re released; something about stepping into an elevator, and winding up in the Twilight Zone.

Yeah. Heather and Bill and I, we don’t really pay any attention to the warning. We skip right around to the front of the building, and we get on the barely existent line again. And what do you know – we load into an elevator, and it does the same crazy thing as last time!

After a quick pit stop at the nearby Toilet of Terror, we head to the Rock N’ Roller Coaster Starring What’s Their Faces for some single rider action (“All the single riders, all the single riders, all the single riders, all the single riders…now put your hands up…”). Bill and Heather are quickly dispatched into other lines; I am paired with a girl of about eight whose dad and brother are in the seat behind her. And I feel a little badly for this girl, because when we take off from the limo garage at a very sudden 60 miles per hour? I screeeeeeeeeam! And when that loop is over and I’ve almost stopped screaming, we hit that corkscrew, and I screeeeeeam some more! And then we pull into the VIP entrance to the club, and we disembark. All that fun is hard on the throat.

So I don’t know if Bill or Circusgirl is sacrificing any of their wants or desires in order to make the whole group happy, or if we’re all just in perfect accord today, but it seems pretty easy for all of us to decide what we want to do and when, and it seems that everyone’s as happy about the resulting plan as I am. Our merry band heads back to Toy Story to use our first FP, bypassing a 50 minute standby line, and once again I am fixated on getting a high score. Bill clobbers me in the scoring, though I’m making sure to aim at high-value targets, and I’m firing as fast as I can – I think, in future rides, I’m going to have to calm down and try not to be so competitive, as it distracts me from the sights, sounds, smells, and feelings of the overall experience. All I want to do is ride it again and again until I get the score I feel I deserve!

Bill and I have about a half hour before our noon ADR at the 50s Prime Time Café, and Circusgirl suggests we take a ride on Star Tours before we split up for the day (sniffle). We’ve heard that this iteration of the ride is due to change soon – George Lucas is already filming the new Star Tours movie. So we enjoy an old favorite while we can.

Unfortunately, there’s no time to browse the gift shop on the way out (one of our favorite places to browse), or to watch a few minutes of the Jedi Academy taking place nearby (Bill notes that they seem to have done away with the stage, which is odd), as it’s time to make our way over to the 50s Prime Time. We say a warm “goodbye for now” to Circusgirl, who we’ll be seeing in a few hours at tonight’s Adventurer’s Club event. But first, time for lunch!

(More soon, I hope -- thanks for reading! :flower3:)

I'm grinning as big a super happy grin reading about our day as I was on the real day enjoying your utterly fantastic company! :goodvibes
It is starting to feel like a long time ago now, although this trip stayed close and familiar and recent for longer than average after I got home, which I thoroughly enjoyed!

What a great day so far! :) I really love HS...well I love any park that I am in at that moment but HS is always fun with the street performers and my favorite TOT (not toilet of terror!!) We had one of the last rides of the night on our last night there and I swear it went up/down so many more times! I like when your first drop is actually going up instead because you aren't expecting it. :thumbsup2
Ughhh we had vultures over at Kidani too....Why? I know one kept looking at me on the balcony! An ostrich was making me a bit nervous once too eyeing me up! They can be quite mean too.
Hope you had a good meal at Primetime...I ate there last year and my nephews got in a lot of trouble! Nose against the wall, setting another family's table, etc! Have it all on tape for future humiliation! :yay:
Did you have any zebra domes while at Mara? We ate there once this trip and I saw them but then forgot about them! :scared1: We were going to take them back to our room for later consumption...oops!

Tracy

HOW did I miss this?! I am so bummed that I never noticed. EEEK! Bad DISer!!

Well anyways, I am here. I am caught up and I can't wait for more!

I'm grinning as big a super happy grin reading about our day as I was on the real day enjoying your utterly fantastic company! :goodvibes
It is starting to feel like a long time ago now, although this trip stayed close and familiar and recent for longer than average after I got home, which I thoroughly enjoyed!

Circusgirl, I was so sad to read that you (and most everyone else) got shut out of the D23 event! I hope you've still got a plan in mind for your next trip, though (earlyDecemberearlyDecemberearlyDecember).

What a great day so far! :) I really love HS...well I love any park that I am in at that moment but HS is always fun with the street performers and my favorite TOT (not toilet of terror!!) We had one of the last rides of the night on our last night there and I swear it went up/down so many more times! I like when your first drop is actually going up instead because you aren't expecting it. :thumbsup2
Ughhh we had vultures over at Kidani too....Why? I know one kept looking at me on the balcony! An ostrich was making me a bit nervous once too eyeing me up! They can be quite mean too.
Hope you had a good meal at Primetime...I ate there last year and my nephews got in a lot of trouble! Nose against the wall, setting another family's table, etc! Have it all on tape for future humiliation! :yay:
Did you have any zebra domes while at Mara? We ate there once this trip and I saw them but then forgot about them! :scared1: We were going to take them back to our room for later consumption...oops!

Tracy

Manntra, we totally missed out on getting zebra domes this year! We usually get them when we eat at Boma, but this trip we did Jiko instead. And I know there were right there at the Mara -- Bill even pointed to them in the display case -- but we had soooooo many sweets on this trip. (So then what would a few more zebra domes have hurt, right? Hard to believe we passed 'em by...)

HOW did I miss this?! I am so bummed that I never noticed. EEEK! Bad DISer!!

Well anyways, I am here. I am caught up and I can't wait for more!

Lady Lallie, you we missed on this trip! Did your ears burn when we all said we wished you had been able to join us? I'm glad you're joining us virtually. though -- hope all's very well with you! :goodvibes

Posting the next installment as soon as I can get these pictures up... Thanks for hanging in here with me! :3dglasses

Day Two, Part Two: Running the Studios Like Hollywood Execs

When we left off, we two happy Adventurers were checking in to the 50s Prime Time Café for lunch. We ate here for the first time last year, and enjoyed the atmosphere very much – unfortunately, I was so exhausted that I could barely keep my face out of the food.

Exhibit A: Sleeping Foodie

50sTR.jpg

Today, I am a little peppier – though we’ve been running around all morning, I’m still full of enthusiasm. But I sure don’t mind being quickly seated at a nice formica table, with a black and white TV to divert us, and resting my butt for a few minutes while we eat.

Bill orders the meatloaf, I get the fish sandwich, and they’re both perfectly serviceable, if not outstanding. The service is fine – we’re never waiting too long for anything, but we’re not rushed, either. Our “Cousin Stacy” doesn’t have a lot of time to shoot the bull with us, so the cousin act is pretty thin, but at least we get our food in a timely fashion. Last year, we had “Aunt Cindy,” who we will still quote on occasion – she asked Bill if he needed more soda, and he said, “No thanks, I’m fine,” to which she muttered, “That’s an opinion.” To this day, “That’s an opinion” is a mandatory response to “I’m fine.”

Cousin Stacy doesn’t leave us with any quotables, but she does deliver delicious desserts: cupcake for Bill, smores for me. Right now, cupcakes are very trendy in our circle of friends :rolleyes:, so we’ve had more than our share lately, and this one is above average – fluffy and sweet and cakey. The smores are worth the calories, too, with the marshmallows slightly caramelized.

Meanwhile, the birthday song keeps breaking out around us. After two rounds of singing to strangers, we let the third stranger go unserenaded. It’s nice that everyone’s celebrating – we’re still wearing our Happy Anniversary pins, as we just celebrated our fourth wedding anniversary last weekend – but after a while, the celebrating starts to get a little prosaic. By tomorrow, tired of responding to cast members’ rote “Happy Anniversary”s, we will abandon our pins.

We leave the 50s PTC well fed, and decide we could use some more time to sit and digest before we do anything active (“No Tower for an hour,” warned Cousin Stacy, after our meal). So we head into a showing of the American Idol experience, due to start in just a few minutes. Bill and I take a very active interest in Idol every season; I will often vote ten times in a night for my favorite contestant. We’re curious to see how the experience will play out here at Disney World.

idolTR.jpg

And it’s a fun show! It’s not a must-do, by any means, but we enjoy our time there, and don’t feel it’s wasted in the least. The warm-up entertainer is diverting, the set is properly dazzling, and the three contestants who come out and sing are all interesting to watch – there’s a professionally trained woman who does a lovely “Colors of the Wind,” a Southern firefighter who has fun with “Sweet Home Alabama,” and a heavyset female truck driver, who sings the pants off some song I don’t recognize. She’s a big, happy surprise to everyone, especially the judges, who are all like, “Lady, you can sang,” and she is the elected winner. I had entertained notions of auditioning myself during our December trip, but after seeing the caliber of talent on stage today, I think I’ll confine my singing aspirations to the shower, where they belong. :rolleyes1

After American Idol, we decide to head back to the Tower of Terror to see if the morning’s short wait times are still holding. The wait is posted at 20 minutes, but it’s a walk on – actually, it’s three walk ons in a row, woohoo! The third time, there are so few people waiting in line in the boiler room that the bellhop tells us, “Sit wherever you want.” She even takes a picture of us in the near-empty car, to wit:

emptyTOTTR.jpg

Then, just before the doors are ready to close, some more guests join us, and she mutters, “It’s rude when people don’t move all the way over.” Uh, I guess she means that Bill and I are rude, since we are already seat-buckled into seats in the center of the bottom row, since she said we could sit anywhere we wanted. Oops.

I could ride the Tower of Terror all day, but after three trips, the line is actually starting to stack up a bit, so we take a short detour over to the Rock N Roller Coaster, and hit the single rider line for some upside down looping action. As a multiple repeat rider of many Disney World rides, I go through phases with the pre-shows – sometimes I’m weary of them and wish I could skip them, other times I enjoy hearing the same old spiel. Today, I’m enjoying the pre-show in the recording studio – “What the hey hey hey?” – and noticing how many lava lamps there are in there. Who knew that lava lamps were so crucial to the creative process? Perhaps I need a few more for my workspace…

Once again, I scream into the ear of a stranger (sorry, stranger) as we loop around the California highways, and am happily reunited with Bill in the gift shop. We are in great moods – hot, in the blazing sunshine of the 90 degree afternoon, but happy, as we walk over the chipped cobblestone with the trolley rails peeking out beneath, past the food court and the sweet shop and the Fantasia topiaries, heading towards Toy Story to use our second set of Fast Passes for our third ride of the day. We’ve had a ton of fun so far today, and we have so much to look forward to this evening, with the Adventurers’ Club event ahead of us. We spend months and months, planning and dreaming and waiting for these trips, and even when things don't go as we planned, the reality of being here never disappoints. :cloud9:

Unfortunately, when we get to Toy Story, the Fast Pass line is backed up into the courtyard – eek! Luckily, we still have a few hours to spend here before it’s time to head to Downtown Disney for the AC event, so we decide to skip it for now and use our FP later. The Muppet Movie is always an excellent way to spend some time, so we troop over in that direction, and enjoy the full pre-show (my favorite pre-show of all time, and one I never want to skip) before we head in for seats.

Good thing I’ve seen this movie a few times, and good thing I’ll be seeing it again in December, because my eyes are drooping so heavily that I miss most of the second half. I guess the heat and the pace are getting to me after all; this always happens to me, and yet I refuse to tour at anything less than commando speed. I am a glutton for fun!

On our way back to Toy Story, I note that we’re not the only ones dragging butt today. It’s almost 3pm, the sun is glaring down on us, it’s humid, and people are slack-jawed and zombified as they shuffle past us. We make a “quick” stop for a bottle of water, which seems to be the most highly prized commodity in the park all of a sudden. The water disappears before we make it back to Toy Story, where the Fast Pass line is back to a minimal, manageable wait.

Once again, I am consumed with my quest for a high score; once again, I am completely kicked in the butt by Bill, who shoots faster than me. “But I’m more accurate!” I complain, noting my 33 percent accuracy on the display. Accurate, shmaccurate – he gets a kitty for a prize, and I get a lowly beaver. Next time, I promise, I’m finding a nice, uncoordinated five-year-old to ride with…

Next on our list of must-do’s: Streetmosphere. We stop at the information booth near the wait times board and ask when Streetmosphere will be appearing next, and the CMs tell us they should be coming out soon. So we grab a patch of curb, and soon we see two cars – the Public Works car, and a spiffy vintage model – coming our way. The impresario Jack Diamond gets out of the spiffy vintage car right by Hollywood and Vine and sets up a small folding table with some cards on it; we waste no time in going over to see what he’s up to.

He greets us – we seem to be the only ones who notice him, which is odd, but cool – and he banters with us for a few minutes, doing some impressive card and coin tricks.

diamondTR.jpg

He’s really fun to interact with, staying in character while chatting about magic clubs around the US (apparently, according to Bill’s online research, JD is a well-respected magician, as well as a hilarious improv performer). But soon we see a family with kids take notice of our little group, and we surrender his attention to them. Around the corner, the Public Works guys have started their skit, so we sidle up to watch them at work.

pworksTR.jpg

Man, those Public Works guys! They’re trying to wash their car, according to their chief’s instructions, but they mostly wind up throwing buckets of water at each other, and at the crowd. None of us mind much, as it’s tar-boiling hot right now, and we’re laughing too hard to protest anyway. They drive off, and since we’re already wet, we decide to track down the elusive Singing in the Rain umbrella we’ve read about here on the Dis.

So it’s back to the Streets of America, where we find the umbrella, right across from the Lights, Motors, Action arena. Now, how do we get it to work? Grab the handle? Pull the handle? Manhandle the handle?

umbrellaTR.jpg

Anything?

We finally figure out that you have to kind of stomp on the metal grate that’s right there, and then a satisfying shower rains down upon the umbrella. A family passing by sees us frolicking, and they step up to get in on the action; we teach them the secret of the grate, and they have a good time getting rained upon.

One more errand before we hop to Downtown Disney: I must procure a carrot cake cookie at The Writer’s Stop. Fortunately, this place is usually uncrowded; most people seem to pass it by, not knowing about the yummy snacks inside. Unfortunately, today it is plagued by people with unusual requests. There are two countergirls– one is sidelined by a couple with a baby who want her to look up all the gluten-free dining options in the parks for them, and the other is serving two young Japanese cast members, who take forever deciding what they want, and then take forever trying to pay for it with their employee discount. I succumb to a moment of greedy gimme exasperation – the cookie’s right there! Just reach under the counter and let me pay for it and I’ll be out of here in two seconds! – then I decide it’s not worth getting aggravated about. I’ll be back for you in December, cookie!

But right now, it’s time to head over to Downtown Disney, to check in for the super-special, sorry-you-weren’t-there Adventurers’ Club event! Kungaloosh!

:banana:

I'm still so very sad that I had to miss out on all the fun. :sad2: I will get to Disney when there is a big group again, I just will make it work. :laughing: I've heard rumblings about sometime next fall, later in October so I've get that penciled in. ;)

I just adore Hollywood Studios. I don't get overwhelmed by that park like I do Epcot and Animal Kingdom. I love reading about it.

Carrot Cake Cookie? Yum! I must investigate!

I want to see American Idol too, just to see what it's all about it. I go through phases of watching the show.

Circusgirl, I was so sad to read that you (and most everyone else) got shut out of the D23 event! I hope you've still got a plan in mind for your next trip, though (earlyDecemberearlyDecemberearlyDecember).

I've got a frequent flyer ticket and 9 nights at the Poly booked for earlyDecember! You made me laugh out loud.

I had some sad moments about missing out on the Magic and Merriment event. Their server was so busy with the bombardment of requests that I didn't even get a ticket link until it was sold out. I was afraid that the disappointment over not doing all the extra cool exclusive stuff was going to make the trip seem less fantastic, but I am almost completely recovered. After all, I will get to see you and Bill :-)cloud9:), the TSM event and the seminar with Marty Sklar :-)worship:) and Lee Cockerell (popcorn:: ) will be supremely fun and who needs a stinkin' Castle tour anyway :thumbsup2.

I'm still so very sad that I had to miss out on all the fun. :sad2: I will get to Disney when there is a big group again, I just will make it work. :laughing: I've heard rumblings about sometime next fall, later in October so I've get that penciled in. ;)

I just adore Hollywood Studios. I don't get overwhelmed by that park like I do Epcot and Animal Kingdom. I love reading about it.

Carrot Cake Cookie? Yum! I must investigate!

I want to see American Idol too, just to see what it's all about it. I go through phases of watching the show.

Lady Lallie, I'm glad you're within your 90 day window of upcoming fun, and I look forward to your review of Idol (and the cookie). :)

I've got a frequent flyer ticket and 9 nights at the Poly booked for earlyDecember! You made me laugh out loud.

I had some sad moments about missing out on the Magic and Merriment event. Their server was so busy with the bombardment of requests that I didn't even get a ticket link until it was sold out. I was afraid that the disappointment over not doing all the extra cool exclusive stuff was going to make the trip seem less fantastic, but I am almost completely recovered. After all, I will get to see you and Bill :-)cloud9:), the TSM event and the seminar with Marty Sklar :-)worship:) and Lee Cockerell (popcorn:: ) will be supremely fun and who needs a stinkin' Castle tour anyway :thumbsup2.

AUGH, a castle tour would be the greatest thing ever! We were totally counting on living it vicariously through you. But the opportunity will come again, I know it...at least, I hope it...

And now for Day Two, Part Three: Party of the First Part!

Well, Thursday, Sept. 24 was an awesome day at the Studios – a terrific morning with Circusgirl, a nourishing lunch at 50s Prime Time, and a little post-lunch merriment. We managed to get in three rides on Toy Story, five trips on the Tower of Terror, two Rock N’ Roller Coasters, a tour on Star Tours, a trip through One Man’s Dream, a showing of the American Idol Experience, and some Streetmosphere – phew! Lots of backtracking, not enough snacking. And we’re ready for more!

So we depart from the Studios – it’s weird, to only spend one day in a park and know that we won’t be coming back this trip, but better one day than no days. We grab a cab in the parking lot and zoom over to Downtown Disney. Traffic cooperates, so we have a few minutes to browse before it’s time to check-in to the Adventurers’ Club event – not enough time to do justice to World of Disney, but just enough time to nearly knock over about twelve thousand dollars worth of glassware at some other shop whose name I can’t recall (not Arribas Brothers – we’ll be making a stop there later).

Almost eaten by a Lego shark!

sharkieTR.jpg

The Characters in Flight balloon rising above us:

cinfTR.jpg

At the appointed time, we wander over to the fountain, where the good folks at MEI Travel check us in for the Adventurers’ Club event. I take a minute to profusely thank our agent, Coleen, for helping to spot and fix the last-minute glitch in our reservation; she is as lovely and gracious in person as she is over the phone. Chuck, Lynn, and CircusHeather are already here and checked in, looking distinctly more classy and cleaned up than we are, and we gab a little before our group heads over to the club.

ACenterTR.jpg

Oh man, am I psyched to be going back to the Adventurers’ Club! I can’t BELIEVE they closed this place down – it’s so spectacularly designed, and so uniquely Disney, with its wholly immersive and interactive environment. I hear it may be moving to the park in Hong Kong – WHY? It’s so perfect right here, where it is! Oh well; at least we get this chance to experience it once more, and say a proper goodbye.

ACtopTR.jpg

ACaboveTR.jpg

Upon entry, we make our way down the stairs and into the main room, where there’s a lovely buffet waiting for us. We’re told that we’ll have some time to eat and explore; then there will be a show in the library. Bill and I grab some plates, fill them with good stuff, and take a seat in one of the side rooms, soaking up the atmosphere and eavesdropping on the lively conversations around us. Characters like Sugar Snap and Pamelia Perkins are wandering through, chatting up the crowd – it must be so difficult for them to re-inhabit these roles after such a long hiatus, and I imagine they might be feeling both nostalgic and sad tonight, but they do an awesome job and stay perfectly in character.

Sugar Snap, having a nice li’l ole chat with a guest:

sugarsnapTR.jpg

Pamelia Perkins and Fletcher Hodges:

pandfTR.jpg

Pamelia and Fletcher get the group’s attention, and lead us all through the initiation ceremony. We recite the AC pledge, and sing the AC song, and the Colonel gets a few words in there, as does the butler, Graves. I wish I could remember every bit of dialogue, so I could record it here, but I could never do the experience justice – the performers are so flexible and so committed to their characters; they just do an exceptional job.

Also in the house are luminaries like Disney World trivia master Lou Mongello, and Justin, the Chief Magic Official. And our party has been joined by Christine (2xcited2sleep) – here’s a picture of me imparting some kind of secret information to the ladies.

ACsecretTR.jpg

I think I’m saying, “Let’s hover by the library, so we get good seats as soon as the show starts.” But I might also be saying, “Check out the glutes on that statue.”

Sure enough, as soon as we hear that it’s time to move into the library, we MOVE. Bill and I swoop down on a table right in the front, and the rest of the gang is right behind us. Score!

Sugar Snap starts us off with “Little Grey Squirrel.” Tonight’s version of Emil (who I’ve never seen here at the AC before, but who is familiar as one of the World Showcase Players) sings a (somewhat forgettable) ditty. And then it’s time for my favorite AC player, Hathaway Browne. Oh, brave and dashing Hathaway, slayer of the ladies wherever he goes! How lucky I am to be seated front and center – he chooses me for a special serenade!

hathawayTR.jpg

Eeeeeeeeeeee!

It’s a quick show, but a rousing and fun and wonderful one. And then it’s time to step out onto the patio behind the club, where several kinds of dessert are being served. Our table full of adventurers enjoys the setting sun and the tasty treats; then we’re escorted back inside for mini-shows in the Mask room and the Treasure room. These mini-shows are crowded, but still enjoyable, even as they’re tinged with a little sadness, because it’s the last time they’re being performed here.

Those impertinent talking masks:

ACmasksTR.jpg

The guy playing Fletcher Hodges breaks character as we’re leaving the Treasure room, pointing out where enthusiastic patrons have stolen artifacts right off the walls.

A little more mixing and mingling, and then Bill and I decide to rip off the band-aid quickly and just depart. We bid our friends a fond adieu, accept our lovely gift bags from the MEI folks, and say a final goodbye to the Adventurers’ Club.

POUT.

But hey, we’re grateful that we got to experience the AC twice on our December 2007 trip, and especially to have had this unexpected chance to see it once more. We gawked, we sang, we laughed, and I was lucky enough to have held the hand of one Hathaway Browne. We really couldn’t ask for more.

We walk back over towards the World of Disney store, where I’d like to do some damage. But first we stop in at Arribas Brothers, to get a little something-something for a special friend of ours; then we head into Basin, to get some of those yummy-smelling soaps they carry. We get a “Fall Mickey” soap that smells like pumpkins and spice, a Gingerbread soap, and a hot fudge sundae soap for my beloved stepmom, who never says no to a hot fudge sundae (and still stays amazingly svelte). Then it’s on to WOD, which is overwhelming – so much so that we exit twenty minutes later with nothing in hand, though I picked up at least four items, thinking I’d buy them, before putting them back.

One last cab back to the Animal Kingdom Lodge, one weary but happy trek through the magnificent lobby towards our room, and two happy travelers collapse on the bed for a badly-needed night of sleep. Tomorrow is the opening of the Food and Wine Festival – we may skip rope drop at Epcot, but we’ll definitely be there at 11 when World Showcase opens, forks in hand and napkins around our necks, ready and raring to go!

(More coming on Monday. Thanks for reading! :flower3:)

Oh your Adventurer's Club event sounds like so much fun! I'm really sad that I never made it over there while it was still open. :sad2:

How wonderful to meet more DISers. :cloud9:

Oh your Adventurer's Club event sounds like so much fun! I'm really sad that I never made it over there while it was still open. :sad2:

How wonderful to meet more DISers. :cloud9:

Lady Lallie, it IS wonderful to meet DISers, as you well know! I look forward to our eventual meeting, too. :goodvibes

And now, only four days late, it's:

Day Three: The Food and More Food and a Whole Bunch More Food Festival

It’s Friday, September 25, and another beautiful (hot, sunny) morning dawns on Disney World. But we sleep right through the “dawn” part, for a change – we didn’t set the alarm, because we want to conserve our energy for the big day ahead. First up: the opening of the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot today; then it’s on to the Halloween Party tonight!

But as much as I’d hoped to sleep in, we’re too excited to stay in bed when there’s DISNEY WORLD right outside the room. We’re up by 8:15, and out the door by 9 – no breakfast for us today, as we’re still fairly full from last night’s gluttony at the Adventurers’ Club, and we’re saving ourselves for the Food and Wine Festival.

We cab it over to Epcot, only missing rope drop by fifteen minutes or so. Of course, we head straight to Soarin’, possibly the best ride in the universe, and there’s only a fifteen minute standby wait. We grab some Fast Passes (return time at 9:20 is 10:10, not bad at all), then hop on the line, where the interactive game screens keep everyone entertained. Everyone but us, that is, as we keep winding up between screens when the line moves – oh well. The line moves quickly, and by asking politely, we end up in row B1 for our first flight of this September trip. Woohoo! :woohoo:

I may have been on Soarin’ thirty times by now, but it will never cease to amaze me. This first flight of the trip feels brand new; when my feet leave the floor, I say an audible “wow,” and am awestruck as we break through the clouds. I remember that my fear of flying was in full force when we first rode this ride in 2005; I gripped the armrests and had to breathe deeply to relax and enjoy it. Today, I am still bowled over by the verisimilitude of the flying experience, but a lot less frightened – I know this ride will let me soar safely, and return me to the ground in one delighted piece.

One good trip deserves another, so we head back to the standby line, wait the twenty minutes and get seats in B3. The second half of the queue may be boring and sterile, but I still enjoy the feeling of being there in that corridor, waiting for our next flight, and I love when we’re lined up on our gliders waiting to board and hearing the “ding!” that announces the start of the pre-show. We file into the theater, take our seats, and again we fly over bridges, streams, craggy surf, canyons, ski slopes, orange groves, golf courses, aircraft carriers, Malibu sunset, LA traffic, and the holy land (a.k.a. Disneyland), air rushing against our faces, gently swaying with the winds, inhaling big breaths of the fragrant breezes, until we’re deposited back down on the ground, where a symphony of “clicks” releases us all from our safety belts and back out into the Land. Time to grab another Fast Pass, and make our way over to Test Track.

It is another brain-boilingly hot day, but today I am wearing the cooling neck wrap that Circusgirl included in our gift bag, and it’s saving my bacon (well, I don’t eat meat, so it’s saving my vegetarian bacon). We cruise past the Jammitors, rocking out between the Innoventions pavilions, and onto the single rider line for Test Track. Since this is such a comparatively short trip for us, we’re pursuing our goals with a sort of determined single-mindedness – not much stopping to smell the roses; we’ve got rides to ride!

Today’s trip through Test Track reveals a few new details since last year, or details I never noticed – an ice cube tray in the cold room, a Goofy hat perched on the head of one of the crash test dummies. The exhilarating outdoor loop remains the same, but I wonder if we’re cheating ourselves by always riding single rider – I think the innermost seat gives you a more thrilling ride than the outermost one (which is the one you wind up with, as a single rider), because the innermost seat is at a greater angle. Or this may just be my hyperactive imagination, determined to explore every nuance of every ride to find the best possible experience. :rolleyes1

After Test Track, it’s about 10:30, and we start walking towards the World Showcase for opening. On the way, we see a Kim Possible kiosk – ooh, we have to stop and get a ticket for a mission or two. We’re not entirely sure how this works, but the young man at the kiosk explains it – we take our ticket to the KP kiosk in Italy at the appointed time (11:15), where we’ll receive our communicator, and the rest will be explained then and there. Cool!

As we approach the lagoon, Bill announces his intent to make a quick survey of all the Food and Wine booths before he jumps on any lines and starts chowing down, as he wants to maximize his experience, and not fill up before he hits the really good stuff. So while all the booths are still closed, we take note of what’s on the visible menus as we make our way around Canada and England, to the rope on the bridge to France.

There’s a small cluster of people waiting at the rope, including one Lou Mongello, who appears to be touring solo today. I leave a message for Circusgirl, and hope we’ll catch up with her sometime this morning, then the rope drops, and we walk towards France. I’d like to stop for snails, but they’re not available yet, so it’s onto the next booth. We pass a group of people getting ready for an outdoor wine tasting by the lagoon, and all I can think of is how little I’d want to drink wine in the searing heat today.

Our first stop is at the Austria booth, where I get the mushroom soup with chive dumplings (rich and delish, but way too hot for a day this warm), and Bill gets the paprika beef stew with bacon dumplings (also reported as delicious). From the stand in front of the American pavilion, I get a very tasty lobster roll:

lobsterTR.jpg

Then in Italy, it’s cannelloni for me (definitely yummy but not super special), and veal meatballs for Bill (thumbs up). Poland brings Bill some pierogi and kielbasa (to his hearty approval), and Argentina bring him a tender and tasty beef skewer. Because we started our tour in France, and didn’t buy anything until we were almost at the US pavilion, we’re way ahead of the lines, so we don’t wait more than a minute for anything – I definitely recommend “starting in the middle” as a strategy to any prospective Food and Winers out there.

By this point, we’re almost at the Outpost, and we decide to head back towards Italy to check in for the Kim Possible Adventure. Bill stops at the Munich booth for a Neurenberger (I wrote this down in my notes, but have no idea what this is. A beer, maybe?), then we check in at the Kim Possible kiosk. The CM there takes our ticket, gives us our communicator (a cell phone), and explains how the game works: Basically, you get instructions from your phone, and you follow them. Easy enough, right?

Our phone greets us with a short video, and tells us that our first mission is in Germany, so we head to that pavilion and start following instructions. I don’t want to give away too much about the experience, so I won’t tell you where it takes us or what we see, but within ten minutes or so, we are rewarded for a successful mission with a very cute surprise, built into the pavilion itself. I’m a little frustrated by the long-windedness of the instructional videos, but I guess it’s necessary to make them that way so that kids can follow the directions easily. I’m also finding that spending so much time listening to the phone and watching the videos is interrupting my usual looking around. And I’m busy checking my own phone to see if Circusgirl has called back – we had planned to do some KP adventures together, and I don’t want to do them all without her!

But there’s no message, and Bill’s game for another adventure, so we select the Japan mission. Again, it doesn’t take us too long to get to the ending, and it does make us take note of some details we might have otherwise overlooked. But…I don’t know. Maybe I’m just a very impatient person (maybe? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!), but I’m a little frustrated by the slow pace of the game. Bill disagrees; he finds it fun. But he’s more than willing to let the rest of the missions go for now so that we can get back to the all-important eating of the foods.

Our very handy itemized bill tells me that there was a stop at the Octoberfest booth, and one at the Beers of the World booth. (I’ll assume that both of those stops were purchases made by Bill, since I don’t drink a lot of beer.) I keep dunking my cooling neck wrap into the bins of ice cooling bottles of water; the bursts of coolness are the only things keeping me from running, whimpering, into an air conditioned store and staying there. There is a merciless lack of shade here in World Showcase, and I’m feeling it, so much so that my appetite is pretty well shot.

We’re walking back towards England, when we spot a Circusgirl coming towards us, a lamb slider from the New Zealand booth in her hand! Hooray! Apparently, she called me back, but my phone is insisting it has no new messages for me – I’ve heard that AT&T is not the most reliable carrier for in-parks service, and I guess this is my proof. But here we are, reunited at last! We rehash last night’s festivities as Bill picks up a lamb slider in New Zealand, and then some chicken sausage and polenta in Montreal, on our way to ride Spaceship Earth as a trio.

searth3TR.jpg

A fun fact I picked up from Lou Mongello’s Disney World Trivia book: Did you know that Spaceship Earth is the most visited attraction in the parks? I didn’t. But I can see why – it’s great for guests of all ages, stimulating and relaxing at the same time, and just plain fun; as with all the other old favorites of ours, there’s always something new to notice in the scenes we pass (today I see that the family watching the moon landing is playing a half-finished game of Mousetrap). We descend through the brilliant blue lights, choose our futures, and then watch as cartoons versions of ourselves go scuba diving while a robot takes care of our cats.

We disembark, and the three of us head towards the monitors to send pictures from our future home to loved ones. Then we decide to swing by Club Cool, as it is extremely Club Hot out there today. We will wind up spending no time at all in Innoventions on this trip, but we’ll never neglect Club Cool! Five or six cups of watermelon soda later, I’m ready to slosh on back to Soarin’ and use our Fast Passes from earlier.

Have you noticed this strange set of contraptions near Club Cool? What do you think they are? We’re guessing they’re condos for butterflies. :hippie:

bgardenTR.jpg

Circusgirl has bid us adieu for now – she’s headed back to her resort to rest up and change for the Halloween party tonight. We have plans to meet her and Christine and Chuck and Lynn at Liberty Tree for a 5:40 dinner, so it won’t be too long before we’ll be reunited. In the meantime, it’s off to soar twice more!

(More soon. Thanks for reading! :flower3:)

Thanks for the update! :goodvibes
I think Food and Wine might just be my favorite time to go....well actually anytime is my favorite time to go :laughing: I really loved all of the extra food selections and drinks available in Epcot. If I didn't have my 13 year old niece with me I could things would have been a lot different.
Ohhh those lobster rolls...my niece eats A LOT--she is very active and is slim --but man can she put it away! I am pretty sure she touched upon every country :laughing: The Neurenberger was a sausage in a pretzel roll (the same rolls from Biergarten.) Of course I know this because my niece ate one. :rotfl:
Club Cool is such a great intermission for refueling. This last trip a small boy came up to me with a very serious face and told me that I should try Beverly that it is very good! :lmao: He was cute but I had to let him down and tell him I knew better ;)
Not sure what that picture is but I am going to agree with you on the butterfly condos :thumbsup2

Tracy

As I look out the window over cold, dark, rainy Seattle, it is hard to believe we were on the verge of completely melting from the heat not so very long ago!

I'm just back from a trip to California to help my bestest oldest friend celebrate her wedding, so now I have the great pleasure catching up on your TR. I don't have the time tonight to do justice to all the things I've loved in these last installments, but wanted to say Hi! and gloat a tiny bit that we get to go back soon.

I'm delighted you figured out the secret to the Singing in the Rain umbrella because now I know what it is too! You totally packed in the fun on your Studios day. I agree that the institutional emphasis on celebrations has somehow cheapened the whole celebration thing. The CMs used to feel more genuine in their wishes and it was fun to get lots of little surprises. Now it feels like work for the CMs, and there isn't as much fun in it. I know I mentioned your anniversary at our dinner at LTT, and there wasn't so much as a speck of confetti or even an anniversary wish, let alone free dessert.

Ah, the Adventurer's Club and the incredibly talented adventurers themselves! It was fantastic to enjoy the incredible setting and the energy of the cast and show one last time. I can't believe that Disney broke up the act. You were the best at getting us fabulous seats in the library!!!!

F&W was terrific, but the heat did make it an endurance run. I know some people accord the AK the title of hottest park, but for me it was the vast expanses of paved walkway at Epcot that were the biggest challenge. The icing of the cooling neck wrap was my best defense against collapse and heat tantrums. That is a cool factoid about Spaceship Earth!

I can't wait to hear about your LTT meal! Yummmmmm!

I think I've read somewhere those weird looking doohickeys are some sort of special bird house. I dunno. They look very futuristic so maybe that is what they were going for. :confused3 :rotfl2:

Love the picture of you and your lobster roll. Makes me giggle.

I’m a little frustrated by the long-windedness of the instructional videos, but I guess it’s necessary to make them that way so that kids can follow the directions easily. I’m also finding that spending so much time listening to the phone and watching the videos is interrupting my usual looking around.

Maybe I’m just a very impatient person (maybe? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!), but I’m a little frustrated by the slow pace of the game.

Hi girlbomb! Just followed you over from my TR, and I'm really enjoying yours! I wish I'd made it to the Adventurer's Club before it closed; it sounds right up my alley.

I totally agree with you about Kim Possible. I did that same mission, in Germany, and I was very impatient with it. I kept wishing that (a) I could turn the volume down; and (b) I could press a button and skip to the end of the sentence. I can see how it'd be great for kids, but it was a little too basic for grownups, I thought. It'd be nice (and not too complicated, I'd imagine) if you could choose an age level or a skill level or something, so you'd have the option of figuring things out more on your own, instead of just being told exactly where to go and what to do!

Woohoo, feedback!

Club Cool is such a great intermission for refueling. This last trip a small boy came up to me with a very serious face and told me that I should try Beverly that it is very good! :lmao: He was cute but I had to let him down and tell him I knew better ;)

Manntra, I can't believe some small person tried to huckster you into drinking Beverly! You must be at least this tall to try to con people into it.

As I look out the window over cold, dark, rainy Seattle, it is hard to believe we were on the verge of completely melting from the heat not so very long ago!

I'm just back from a trip to California to help my bestest oldest friend celebrate her wedding, so now I have the great pleasure catching up on your TR. I don't have the time tonight to do justice to all the things I've loved in these last installments, but wanted to say Hi! and gloat a tiny bit that we get to go back soon.

I'm delighted you figured out the secret to the Singing in the Rain umbrella because now I know what it is too! You totally packed in the fun on your Studios day. I agree that the institutional emphasis on celebrations has somehow cheapened the whole celebration thing. The CMs used to feel more genuine in their wishes and it was fun to get lots of little surprises. Now it feels like work for the CMs, and there isn't as much fun in it. I know I mentioned your anniversary at our dinner at LTT, and there wasn't so much as a speck of confetti or even an anniversary wish, let alone free dessert.

Ah, the Adventurer's Club and the incredibly talented adventurers themselves! It was fantastic to enjoy the incredible setting and the energy of the cast and show one last time. I can't believe that Disney broke up the act. You were the best at getting us fabulous seats in the library!!!!

F&W was terrific, but the heat did make it an endurance run. I know some people accord the AK the title of hottest park, but for me it was the vast expanses of paved walkway at Epcot that were the biggest challenge. The icing of the cooling neck wrap was my best defense against collapse and heat tantrums. That is a cool factoid about Spaceship Earth!

Circusgirl, I'm so thrilled that we're so close to our epic return! But I'm so bummed that the new version of your last December's TR is locked! Want more!

I can't wait to hear about your LTT meal! Yummmmmm!

I think this was one of the times your name was invoked, LL. ;)

I totally agree with you about Kim Possible. I did that same mission, in Germany, and I was very impatient with it. I kept wishing that (a) I could turn the volume down; and (b) I could press a button and skip to the end of the sentence. I can see how it'd be great for kids, but it was a little too basic for grownups, I thought. It'd be nice (and not too complicated, I'd imagine) if you could choose an age level or a skill level or something, so you'd have the option of figuring things out more on your own, instead of just being told exactly where to go and what to do!

Norybell, an age or skill level would be great! In the meantime, I definitely thought it was a cool kind of attraction for Disney to introduce; I hope they'll follow up with others like it.

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I'm reading along and loving your report!

Praisehisname, welcome! Thank you so much! :goodvibes

I'm here! So sorry - I just found you. It was SO nice to meet you and Bill at WDW! Your intro cracked me up, "two thirty-somethings acting like we're eight." No wonder we got along so well! :laughing:

You guys sure are packing a lot of fun into your trip! I am loving your report. I can't wait to go back and catch up on the previous two. I'd say you're a great writer but I suppose that's kind of obvious given you're the mom to two books and all. :worship:

Did I read in the midst of some of the chatter that you're going back in Dec? Will you be there for the TSM party and the "Marty Sklar seminar?" I'm toying with the idea of going... :rolleyes1

Hope all is well and if not in Dec hope to see you and Bill back in the World sometime soon!! :goodvibes

I'm here! So sorry - I just found you. It was SO nice to meet you and Bill at WDW! Your intro cracked me up, "two thirty-somethings acting like we're eight." No wonder we got along so well! :laughing:

You guys sure are packing a lot of fun into your trip! I am loving your report. I can't wait to go back and catch up on the previous two. I'd say you're a great writer but I suppose that's kind of obvious given you're the mom to two books and all. :worship:

Did I read in the midst of some of the chatter that you're going back in Dec? Will you be there for the TSM party and the "Marty Sklar seminar?" I'm toying with the idea of going... :rolleyes1

Hope all is well and if not in Dec hope to see you and Bill back in the World sometime soon!! :goodvibes

Christine, we are indeed going to the TSM party -- will you be joining us? If you can't make it in person, I know you will be there in spirit! :thumbsup2

I'm loving reading your TR. Hoping to update this one later today or tomorrow...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter