Advantage to owning multiple DVC contracts at different Resorts

Got it. So I really need to make sure I have enough HHI points for a one bedroom every other year.

I think I'm following, but I'm still a little confused. Currently we own 200 resale points at AKL. We love Hilton Head! I am hoping to purchase 75 direct points (because of closing costs, it's actually the better way) at HHI. My UY is June. Let's say I want to stay in a one bedroom at HHI for a week in August, and I book at the 11 month mark with my brand new HHI points. Would I be able to bank my AKL points and combine them with my HHI points at the 7 month mark? I thought as long as you had enough points in your account by your check-in date you were good.
You need the points when you book and they must be good for the days you are booking. You cannot use your AKV points at HHI until seven months out. You cannot change the HHI points to AKV points at seven months out unless there was availability. It would be a cancel and rebook, not a substitution. That would defeat the home resort advantage. At 11 months out, if you are booking HHI at 11 months out, you must have all the HHI points you need in your account. You can bank and borrow your HHI points so you have 150 every other year or 225 every third year.

My short term plan is to get 2 100 point contracts at both Polynesian and Copper Creek with the intention to stay at each resort every two years. Just closed on Poly; will start looking for CC soon.

What are the specifics with "cancel and rebook" in practice?... At say, 2 AM PST? Would the room show up immediately in the system for re-booking?
No one really knows how DVC is running the waitlist process. Some who have reported checking after a cancellation, say sometimes the released nights show up right away, and sometimes not. It's a risk. FWIW, you'd be surprised how many Midwestern and Eastern time zone folks are up at that hour, LOL. If you try that strategy, my advice is to back your timing up an hour or so. Also, DVC tends to do software maintenance around that time and you wouldn't want to be in the middle of something when they decide to take the system down.

Prior to the implementation of the modify feature, I contemplated using this strategy for 7 month bookings, but never actually did as I really didn't care enough to chance ending up with nothing. If I ever "needed" to do it, I would definitely try that strategy, though.

Good luck to you if you give it a try.

I am a Socal resident and have a single night reservation at VGC I want to try it on. It won’t be too bad if I lost it.

FWIW, you'd be surprised how many Midwestern and Eastern time zone folks are up at that hour, LOL
Hahaha! I will definitely do as u suggest.

Having the same use year on all contracts is much easier, but not essential in using multiple contracts for the same reservation

I would also say three additional advantages that have not been discussed are... 1) smaller contracts are easier to sell and usually sell for a premium over larger contracts, 2) multiple contracts allow you to wait list each of your contracts, thereby providing multiple wait list opportunities beyond just the two, 3) if you need to use one time use points, you are entitled to 24 one time use points per contract that can be used each year. Hope that helps.

We bought our 75 point Direct AKL first - while our Poly was pending ROFR.

We decided on our 200 point Poly because it was good value first and foremost. The $/pt was less than $130 at a time when BLT was $150 and SSR was $110. The annual dues were low. With the two bathrooms, it was a place we didn't mind staying - in case there was no availability.

While that was in ROFR, we decided we wanted a direct 75 point for member perks. Last minute, I blurted out AKL. Why? Not sure but we did. Since then, it's been our most used contract. We don't regret the PVB as it was still a great deal and a great fallback. But we find ourselves booking PVB at 11 months to have something, then using those points at 7 months to book AKL in most cases.

I would also say three additional advantages that have not been discussed are... 1) smaller contracts are easier to sell and usually sell for a premium over larger contracts, 2) multiple contracts allow you to wait list each of your contracts, thereby providing multiple wait list opportunities beyond just the two, 3) if you need to use one time use points, you are entitled to 24 one time use points per contract that can be used each year. Hope that helps.

This is not correct. You only get more waitlists or OTU points if you have more than one membership..ie: different UY..not for having more than one contract.

If all your contracts are part of the same membership, you can not have more than 2 waitlists per UY. I have both RIV and SSR in my August UY and I am limited to only 2.

Now, I also have June UY and Dec UY contracts. I get additional wait lists for reservations booked on those memberships, but what I can’t do is set a waitlist up on one of them to replace a reservation that was booked on the other.

I like doing split stays between a MK and Epcot resort, so I have one contract in each area for 11-month booking privileges. I do sometimes switch at 7-months and both contracts are the same UY, making it easy to combine points.

I own three contracts. Boardwalk, Polynesian, Riviera and I split them up for the advantage. Boardwalk for food and wine, specifically so I can stay the race weekend, Poly for 4th of July/NYE fireworks and Riviera for more points near Epcot. I kept my same use year to make it easy though, all September.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter