Adult Only Trip

Fryan08

Mouseketeer
So next fall my husband and I will be taking our first kidless, adult only vacation!! We are very excited about this. So my question to all of you is this. What are some must do things for us to do?

DH and I took a trip during the F&W festival last Oct and had a blast! It was great being able to leisurely walk thru the world showcase and check out the shops without a "bored" 3yo. It was nice trying the different countries cocktails too!

I really didn't do anything different than I will on our trip in November with DD, it was just nice to enjoy things for yourself instead of focusing on your kids enjoyment and needs. We were also able to do rope drop to close, which will NOT happen with a 4yo!

When we first went without the kids we really enjoyed Epcot WS, as our younger kids didn’t enjoy stopping at every country on previous trips. I would absolutely participate in F&W.

Jellyrolls for sure!

We take a kid free trip each year - just having less of a plan to stick to is so wonderful. We also use Lyft to get everywhere instead of busses when it's just us. Don't forget to work in some quiet relaxation by the pool!

Yay for y’all! My DH & I took the keys to the kingdom the first time we visited alone. Now (our children don’t want want to go any longer) we try to take a different tour or eat at a different place each time we go. It’s fun & we’ve learned a lot. The best part is when you take the tours with age limits you don’t have to deal with other people’s children (no flames plz), you can listen & enjoy the tour. It’s really relaxing & fun.

My husband and I are going back next year for our 25th wedding anniversary. It will be the first time it's just the two of us since we honeymooned there. Although our anniversary is at the end of May, we are going in September because our youngest graduates high school a few days before or actual anniversary. Plus this way it can double as a birthday trip for me since we will be there on my birthday :) I'll be following along on this post to see some suggestions. My husband nor I drink (personal choice) so I'm hoping there will be some other suggestions. I will say I am looking forward to being able to enjoy each country in WS without everyone else being ready to move on so quickly.

We JUST did this with a couple that we're close friends with. it was AMAZING and I really hope we can make it a regular thing.

Rule #1 - GIVE YOURSELF PERMISSION TO ENJOY YOURSELF WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE'S EXPERIENCE. It took me about a day and a half to stop being in MOM mode and pointing out things to look at, thinking about everyone else;s good time. Once I let that go and just allowed myself to soak it all in for my OWN sake, I relaxed and had a lot more fun.

Rule #2 - It's 100% ok to indulge, you are not responsible for kids and Mickey is your Designated Driver. Have that extra drink, and bring your food baby back to the hotel. Totally worth it.

Rule #3 - Time to wander isn't a bad thing. I always feel like on our family vacations I have to pack in MAXIMUM BANG for my buck. We are going from wake up to sleep every day. On this adults only trip, we pre-planned a couple of specific things we wanted to accomplish each day, but then kind of let the wind take us for the rest of the days. My friend that came along and I were both marveling at how much fun we had with no plan. Want to stop and browse in a shop for a while? Great! Lines are short at one of our favorite rides? Hop on a couple of times! We just let the day play out as we went along and it was AMAZING.

If budget allows, some of the specialty tours are incredible. We don't have a ton of cash to throw at those kinds of things, but just being there and being able to enjoy Disney for ME was priceless.

Do at least one "fancy" dinner as a date night! And I agree with above posters, Epcot is likely going to be your best friend lol

Thank you everyone for your ideas!!! The number one thing my husband wants to do is slow down and relax a little. A few more late nights and a few less rope drops!!! Just can't wait!!

Trust me when I tell you that you have not experianced Walt Disney World until you do it sans children. I have been with my kids and my grandkids (I'm 65, wife is 64) multiple times. Starting 5 years ago my wife and I decided to do it alone, no kids. Halfway through the week my wife exclaimed that this was the best time she had ever had here and couldn't understand why. I too was thinking the same thing. Then it came to me, no kids. What I would suggest is this, pick a park for the morning, enjoy yourself, have lunch, take your time. Go back to the resort for some pool and rest time. Slow down. Enjoy yourself. Have fun. Then, head back to the park (I always get the park hopper so we do 2 parks every day) have dinner and enoy the night time festivities. Here is the best advice I can give you. You are so used to bypassing what the kids didn't want to see, standing in line for what the kids wanted to see, rushing back and forth with your fast passes, you never really took the time to look at things. Slow down and really look around you. We have been going alone now for 6 visits and we still find things we have never seen or done. You will just have to get used to the fact that you are enjoying these parks like never before. 137 more days and we're back.

My wife and I became Dis People as adults... We do this often..
Our last trip we took a giant bag of change and collected as many squished coins as we could find.
We booked a wonderful dinner at a 4.5 star steak house.
We had Dole Whips w/ Rum.

We can skip most of the lines because we dont really ride many rides..

Have a great time!

I've been many times with my extended family and especially as a kid, I was NOT a fan of Epcot. When my husband and I went for our honeymoon, I was shocked at how much I loved it! We made fast friends with every person we sat near/ hid from rain storms with. I'd also say the best perk was going at a non-peak time because we weren't trying to work around school schedules. We were giggling like kids when we were able to use a fast pass for almost every ride in the park, multiple times!

We are going down without kids soon - F&W will still be going on so we are going to take advantage of it. We are rope-dropping AK to try to get on FoP, and I will RD MK while he sleeps in. But other than that we have very few plans. Yes, we have some FP (couldn't get the top ones because we aren't arriving until later in the week) but being on the rides is not our top priority. We have 1 ADR but only to try something new while we are in MK. We just want to take in the sites and not have to worry about anyone else but ourselves. Can.not.wait.

Trust me when I tell you that you have not experianced Walt Disney World until you do it sans children. I have been with my kids and my grandkids (I'm 65, wife is 64) multiple times. Starting 5 years ago my wife and I decided to do it alone, no kids. Halfway through the week my wife exclaimed that this was the best time she had ever had here and couldn't understand why. I too was thinking the same thing. Then it came to me, no kids. What I would suggest is this, pick a park for the morning, enjoy yourself, have lunch, take your time. Go back to the resort for some pool and rest time. Slow down. Enjoy yourself. Have fun. Then, head back to the park (I always get the park hopper so we do 2 parks every day) have dinner and enoy the night time festivities. Here is the best advice I can give you. You are so used to bypassing what the kids didn't want to see, standing in line for what the kids wanted to see, rushing back and forth with your fast passes, you never really took the time to look at things. Slow down and really look around you. We have been going alone now for 6 visits and we still find things we have never seen or done. You will just have to get used to the fact that you are enjoying these parks like never before. 137 more days and we're back.

This makes me really happy to hear. My hubby and I have just recently started going on trips without the kids the past couple of years (none to Disney though). Of course ours are older now (23,21,and 17) so we can go and not really worry about how they are. Shoot, when we go next September one of ours will be married, one a senior in college and one just starting college, so it's about time we took time for ourselves. We barely see them anymore anyways between school, work and their social lives HaHa. I am one that will be rope dropping in the mornings but I am also planning to take it slower than we normally would with the kiddos with us. I love to people watch and I also want to show hubby we can relax while at Disney.

So next fall my husband and I will be taking our first kidless, adult only vacation!! We are very excited about this. So my question to all of you is this. What are some must do things for us to do?

Wonderful! I'll agree with previous posters, plan a relaxing Disney vacation. Don't plan to rush around all day into the night. Take afternoon breaks. Plan for just a few "must do's", whether they are attractions, meals, or activities, and let the rest of the time just be more spur of the moment. Stop in to an attraction you haven't done recently. Stop for a snack. Pause and people watch. Take time to absorb the details that make Disney special.

Take a behind the scenes tour in your favorite park. Tour the resorts. The GF and the AKL are worth a visit.

If you can splurge, I'll suggest staying at one of the Epcot resorts. DW and I are partial to the Boardwalk but all of the resorts are nice. For adults the proximity to Epcot is very appealing. Especially if you are there during one of the festivals.

Neither DW or I are foodies so I don't have specific recommendations but there are plenty of places to enjoy a leisurely adult meal at WDW.

After a nice afternoon break head back to a park for the evening entertainment, shows or fireworks.

Plan for a "do nothing day" in the middle of the visit. Sleep in. Late brunch. Relax by the pool. Or decide to head to a park. Do whatever you want to do.

Finally, what made our adult vacations to WDW more relaxing was the recognition that we would be back. No need do everything in one visit.

My wife and I became Dis People as adults... We do this often..

DW and I also came to Disney later in life. We made many vacation visits before becoming Disney snowbirds. We now call our visits to WDW "winter walks enhanced by Disney". A day or two ahead we pick a park and I get a couple of FP's. We wander around, doing our FP's along the way.
Wishing all adults a pixiedust: visit!

Exactly!
I board a Dis cruise this Sat... No Kids .... we go pixie dusting cabins.

My husband and I go regularly to Disney World without children. We love the ability to take things slow. Here are some of the things we always love to do:
1. We take advantage of reservations for Fastpasses (we always stay on property, so can make them 60 days in advance), so that we can sleep in a little and still have Fastpasses for just the rides we really want to do.
2. Our absolute must-do is a Monorail Drink-a-Thon. It is super fun to visit the various resorts on the monorail line (and we also add Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge, since they are accessible by boat from the monorail line). We ALWAYS meet people and have fun talking. Part of that is because we wear personalized Monorail Drink-a-Thon passports we found online from FUNatics (google them, or PM me for info) - they are great conversation starters.
3. My FAVORITE new activity is the Savor, Sip, and Sparkle - Celebration at the Top at California Grill - For $99 a person, you get all-you-can-eat appetizers, desserts, and beer, wine, sparkling, and even some bar drinks. I think it is the best value at Disney World. It is only on Sunday nights.
4. As suggested previously, we love Jellyrolls on the Boardwalk.
5. We also do a Drink Around the World Showcase (with passports from the same company above) - we usually run into several people wearing the same passports, and also other memorabilia, so there are tons of people to talk to!
6. Not sure of your budget, but our splurges are nice dinners (love Narcoossee's, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Tiffins) and a fireworks cruise.
7. We take lots of time at our hotel pool just to relax.
8. We actually really enjoy putt-putt golf (especially at Winter Summerland) - kinda fun and relaxing.
9. Check out the seminars for the Food and Wine Festival - and if you can afford it, do Party for the Senses - amazing array of food/wine stations and great entertainment. (BTW: They also serve beer and some mixed drinks.)
10. We like to take some time to just sit on a bench and people-watch. We pick funny topics to look for (like fanny packs - which, by the way, I always wear!) and giggle a lot.

Most of all, just do all the things you can't do when the kids are there - take it slow, and enjoy each other!

I've been on about 10 adult/solo trips and just got back from one yesterday. Here is what I recommend though your mileage may vary.
  1. IF you go the 'one park per day' route, plan each day around Extra Magic Hours to optimize time.
  2. Food and Wine festival. If you'll be there in the fall, you're bound to hit the F&W fest. Take your time getting up in the morning, world showcase doesn't open until 11. Grab breakfast and start your fast passes for around 10:45. I'd suggest hitting the fast pass around 11:40 so that way by the time you get off, you'll be in the middle of your second and when done by that, you can hit your third. Go enjoy the sips and bites around the world and be sure to have a sit down somewhere in between.
  3. Have a nice sit down dinner. Since there are no kids, you don't have to opt for quick service chicken tenders or casey's corner. Go for something like Sanaa or California Grill.
  4. Pick a tour to go on. There are SO many. Some popular ones are Keys to the Kingdom, Starlight Safari and Behind the Seeds. It's a nice way to deviate from the park going way of vacation
  5. Explore some of the resorts. It's easy to hop on and off for the monorail resorts. You can walk to the swan, dolphin, Board walk and yacht/beach club from either Epcot or DHS. Art of Animation and Pop Century connected by a bridge over hourglass lake and you can walk To Saratoga from Disney Springs.
  6. Take your time. You don't need to rope drop every morning if you know what you're willing to forgo. Take those midday resort breaks, sleep that extra hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts