Additional Virtual Queues coming?

toonaspie

Just a poser
So..."that one site" suggested not too long ago that the use of virtual queues could be expanded due to a "my queues" feature that's been showing up on the My Disney app recently.

Yes, I'm taking it with a grain of salt for now but I'm trying to wrap my head around how this could work, particularly if you have more than one attraction in the same park that could possibly use this feature. Imagine if both ROTR and MMRR were to both do boarding groups/virtual queues. Would this mean you would only be able to pick one for the entire day? Would it be possible to get more than one after you use the first (provided that it's still available)? How would this work alongside FP+?

Also, what attractions do you think desperately need to implement the use of VQ or do you think it should replace FP? I could see FOP and SDMT as the biggest contenders for possibly using this feature but there could be even more attractions that could use this.

Of do you think FP+ is still the superior approach?

Share your thoughts and hopefully I'm not opening a can of worms with this thread. :duck:

I don't think you'd do the BG type setup for many but I could see virtual queues that work like the old fastpass system where you go to the ride tap in, and get a return time. I could see rides with long waits go to that vs the standby line. Then the question is how do you handle FP+ and I think it would be in addition to FP+. Basically replace standby with old fastpass style system (minus the paper) similar to how DLR does fastpasses.

I think if it's implemented right now (as in when the parks open back up) it's probably in an attempt to keep up some semblance of social distancing in the parks, so I think it would probably be in their best interest to allow people to stand in more than one virtual queue at a time. Maybe it looks like FP-, where you could get a new one, or join a new line in this case after the length of the line or a predetermined amount of time, whatever comes first.

I think it would run alongside FP+, allowing the highest amount of people to spend their time spacing out more in the park (theoretically) rather than in lines.

I think if it's implemented right now (as in when the parks open back up) it's probably in an attempt to keep up some semblance of social distancing in the parks, so I think it would probably be in their best interest to allow people to stand in more than one virtual queue at a time. Maybe it looks like FP-, where you could get a new one, or join a new line in this case after the length of the line or a predetermined amount of time, whatever comes first.

And IIRC the old fastpass system was like that. You could get a new pass after you used one or after 2 hours or something like that.

Of course with social distancing you have to wonder if you'll have people join a virtual queue for FOP then have a bunch of people all sitting in the cantina waiting for their time which creates the same poblem just at a different location.

accepting that WDW's tech implementations are often a little glitchie, I think this may be one of the rare silver linings to the current situation. Certainly technically pretty easy to do assuming all guest have smart phones and magic bands. Imagine being able to essentially walk on to rides and walk in to other reservations. This would be a major improvement to the park experience, Of course all those not in lines will need other activities/spaces

Boarding Groups is essentially Maxpass at Disneyland but uses groups instead of times to return which prevents backups from downtime.

if we switched to this to keep the queues empty it would be the same way. You can get more than one in a day, just not more than one at a time. You have wait 2 hours or however long they decide or until you ride the first one.

So everyone would still probably go to rise first and it would sell out But then anyone that didn’t get it would start booking for Mickey in the morning. Then the first wave of people who rode rise would move on to Mickey and slinky.

I am purely speculating but I think all rides/shows/attractions will go to Boarding groups or FP+ only while we practice social distancing.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. If the goal is to have the queaus only hold, let's say, 10%-20% of the current holding capacity to maintain social distancing, where would people wait for their rides? Because walkways are already pretty congested during the day *with* people in the queaus, so I am having difficulty visualizing how they could spread everyone out, even using virtual boarding.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. If the goal is to have the queaus only hold, let's say, 10%-20% of the current holding capacity to maintain social distancing, where would people wait for their rides? Because walkways are already pretty congested during the day *with* people in the queaus, so I am having difficulty visualizing how they could spread everyone out, even using virtual boarding.

yes social distancing simply can not work at historic attendance levels. maybe at 20 to 30% with the higher end assuming that park hours will not be reduced

If I were to guess, I would bet each park will reopen with just 1000 people allowed per day (possibly split into 2 entry times to accommodate 2000 people) and with staggered entry and exits for those guests (with colored bands distinguishing who needs to leave, ala trampoline parks) and with a prescheduled meal hour. I'd expect about 10/12 attractions/shows, 2 restaurants open and no stores...and I'd expect they'd give the arriving guests ride passes and a set show schedule for their bands...

There'd be no hopping, no arriving early, no leaving late...your time frame is your time frame.

I'd also expect this would be "drive in by personal auto" only, with guests walking in and no trams. Not sure how they could make MK work that way since you still have to head in from the drive...it might be the boat method only running with 200 people (100 each deck)/hour...

As for price - who knows - it's Disney - and this would be exclusive and yet limited...so pick any number you want...

If I were to guess, I would bet each park will reopen with just 1000 people allowed per day (possibly split into 2 entry times to accommodate 2000 people) and with staggered entry and exits for those guests (with colored bands distinguishing who needs to leave, ala trampoline parks) and with a prescheduled meal hour. I'd expect about 10/12 attractions/shows, 2 restaurants open and no stores...and I'd expect they'd give the arriving guests ride passes and a set show schedule for their bands...

There'd be no hopping, no arriving early, no leaving late...your time frame is your time frame.

I'd also expect this would be "drive in by personal auto" only, with guests walking in and no trams. Not sure how they could make MK work that way since you still have to head in from the drive...it might be the boat method only running with 200 people (100 each deck)/hour...

As for price - who knows - it's Disney - and this would be exclusive and yet limited...so pick any number you want...
I don't think it would be worth Disney's time to operate the parks for that level of revenue. Daily average attendance at MK is about 56,000. I would imagine they could open at half capacity, or open only to WDW resort guests or something.

I don't think it would be worth Disney's time to operate the parks for that level of revenue. Daily average attendance at MK is about 56,000. I would imagine they could open at half capacity, or open only to WDW resort guests or something.

No way would they be allowed to open with that many people...no way to social distance and keep sanitized. If they have any hope of opening in the midterm, they need to think like Discovery Cove boutique and not Disney...they could close 1/2 the park and only open portions for the day. I wasn't kidding about 10-12 attractions, either...

I'm kinda expecting WDW to use this time to get the 'Genie' up and running before re-opening and replacing at least some of MDE. If they add more VQs to aid in social distancing, more power to them.

I don't understand how "social distancing" procedures would work if the people are all getting onto rides and touching the same things, which are not disinfected between riders.

The staying away from other people thing is rendered useless if we're all touching the same surfaces, anyway.

Agreed. For Rise we arrived at 6:30 AM for the eventual 8AM random draw. Got called in line at 6:30 PM.

Then waited for the average 45 minutes (turned out to be an hour as a ride stop happened) in the packed que-so no it didn't help in that respect.

I don't see them using boarding groups. In no way will that help with the distancing, because everyone will just crowd the park at opening in order to get a BG. But I *can* see them using virtual queues for popular rides - go up to the attraction, get signed into the line with a flexible return time, and I can see them only allowing a certain amount of people into a queue at a time (either a VQ or a real standby queue). I agree with another poster that I also think in order for this to work, you'd have to be able to be in multiple VQs at once, to spread it out, though I could see imposing a max (maybe 3 VQs at one time?)

The fly in the ointment is this: while waiting for your FP return time (or BG to be called), people typically get in line for other attractions while they wait, or shop, or eat at a restaurant. All of those things still have you in close contact with thousands of other people.

If you can only hold one VQ+ pass (patent pending?) at a time, people are still going to be congregating in other places while waiting to be called for that ride.

If all attractions are virtual queue (and you can only virtually hold your place in one line at a time), that eliminates the possibility of going on other rides while waiting to be called. So you would only be able to eat, shop, or "hang around waiting." That doesn't fix the problem and results in most guests only getting to ride a few things the entire day.

Granted, we've all seen disgruntled reports of only being able to ride 3 rides in the past because of crowds, but this could be true for virtually (no pun intended) everyone.

I don't see them using boarding groups. In no way will that help with the distancing, because everyone will just crowd the park at opening in order to get a BG. But I *can* see them using virtual queues for popular rides - go up to the attraction, get signed into the line with a flexible return time, and I can see them only allowing a certain amount of people into a queue at a time (either a VQ or a real standby queue).

Yea to me a line is a line. If your contagious, what's the difference if the line is 25 people deep or 25,000?

Seems like you will/could infect the 6 foot area of people around you (plus residuals) as you make your way into the ride.

Unless the que is limited to one person moving along at 6 foot intervals with disinfecting going on between them, I see no difference.

I'm inclined to agree. I think I'd really enjoy this kind of system.

That is what the basic level of flash pass at six flags is (which you have to pay for). Line wait time is the same but you enter a queue on a device with you and then the device tells you when you can go to the ride and basically walk on. (they do have higher levels that reduce the time). Having something like that is the only way I go to six flags in the middle of the summer. Join a queue, go get something to eat or go to the bar and relax and then walk over to ride when it's time. I'm not standing in an hour and a half line, but I'll join a queue and go sit at the bar for an hour and a half.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter