Actual Car Rental Experiences at MCO

Wanted to chime in bc I was nervous. Booked Hertz last month through AAA. Arrived today at 3:45 to the Hertz counter and waited maybe 10 min. Got our car assignment and when we got to the lot, Hertz had PUHLENTY of cars.

We usually take DME and use Disney transportation, but for this trip (our first since January 2020) we decided to rent so we woukd have a car while we evaluated the bus situation.

We had no problem getting a car from Avis as we bypassed a pretty long looking line and picked up the assigned car from the Preferred aisle. I had reserved full size and was assigned an SUV.

So, picking up the car went smoothly, but it went downhill from there. About a mile from the Boardwalk an alarm went off that the engine was overheated. I continued on to the Boardwalk and, after a lot of time on hold trying to reach Avis, I drove the car to the Avis location at the Hilton on Resorts Boulevard. The person there was very helpful, and I was able to exchange the “hot” SUV for an intermediate, which was all they had. So, I wasted about the first 3 hours of my time in Florida trying to get a functioning car.

I‘m probably more irritated that my complaints to Avis have been met with “sorry for the inconvenience”, but so far no willingness to give me any credit for the inconvenience. I would think something like one free day off the rental would be reasonable.

Next trip it will be back to DME, and when that ends we’ll evaluate our other options.

ETA: Avis did eventually agree to a $100 credit to compensate me for my time and inconvenience.

Last edited:
So when I look at National's site, it lists Midsize or larger as Emerald Aisle. However my confirmation says to proceed to the counter and I really want to avoid that if possible. Did you need to do anything special to bypass the line?
I'm a member so maybe that is the difference. We just go to the "Emerald Aisle" pick our car and head to the checkout in the garage.

Just to update with Hertz: my first rental email confirmation and an email the day of pick up both listed “standard counter” as service level. But in the body of the email it said to proceed to the garage. My “name was in lights” on the board but showed “see agent”. The gold kiosk was empty and two reps were there. A quick swipe of the CC I had associated with the new gold account was all that was needed. I was then directed to the gold aisle to “take whatever you like”. We had a ”large sedan” booked but chose a Mazda CX-5 small SUV. The exit attendant scanned the car ID and issued a new contract with the vehicle specific info and identical estimated charges.

Good to see some actual reports of how it is currently working. Clearly, the world is not ending as it relates to renting cars with an existing reservation.

Good to see some actual reports of how it is currently working. Clearly, the world is not ending as it relates to renting cars with an existing reservation.
I was concerned based on things I had read here. Plus with a corporate discount my 9 day rental was about 2/3 the going rate so I figured I was an easy target 😳😳. But alas not so.

Typically online you get the people with the horror stories first and then it blows up like the world in ending. Generally, when someone doesn't have an issue, they don't bother posting their 'experience' on social media..................LOL. Likely as the covid situation gets resolved, there will be challenges aligning supply with demand for things like rental cars or airline flights. However, cars are still available and airplanes continue to fly.

I have four reservations for our fall two week trip. Two are AAA and two are BJ's. All are big name agencies. I need to make sure I have memberships with all agencies or create one if I don't. They will always treat you better if you are a "member".

I bought DVC travel insurance ($99) as CYA just due to the uncertainties this year. They will compensate you for a variety of travel mishaps including travel delays. 24-Hour Travel Assistance & Concierge Services included. I hope everything goes smoothly, but this is the year to have a back up!

Typically online you get the people with the horror stories first and then it blows up like the world in ending. Generally, when someone doesn't have an issue, they don't bother posting their 'experience' on social media..................LOL. Likely as the covid situation gets resolved, there will be challenges aligning supply with demand for things like rental cars or airline flights. However, cars are still available and airplanes continue to fly.
We have experienced slim pickings though! (and I don't really do social media - unless the DIS counts). In January we were stuck with a Soul at MCO that just barely fit our suitcases and everyone had to hold their backpacks with them.

DH was given a HUGE jeep or something instead of his compact/economy car in December in Tampa. The company at MCO once tried to give us a pickup truck at some point during the pandemic until we insisted on a regular car and they did find one for us but there were very few in the row.

I'm relieved to hear some better stories though :). We have a June reservation and for the first time I booked through UT with a movie ticket purchase, so way cheaper price for the minivan than Costco which is normally who we rent through.

Not super recent but we rented from alamo at MCO the last week in January and everything went perfectly. If you choose alamo, fill out the info in advance and skip the counter. we were in and out of the garage in 15 minutes.

I'm also a member. Still, my booking says proceed to the counter.
That's strange. I just double checked my July reservation and it definitely says to proceed to the Emerald Aisle. You selected the "Emerald Aisle" booking when you made your reservation? If so, I am not sure unless you are a brand new member maybe. I would maybe give them a call.

I have a reservation with Avis with the 50% off UCT rate for the first week of June. Not gonna lie - I'm nervous. I've called Avis to add my member number to bypass the desk and have been told that's not possible with my rate (which seems to jive with what people are saying here). I'm nervous about both an hour plus wait at the desk and/or there not being a car available. My flight is scheduled to land at 9am and is usually a bit early. It's just me, so I don't need a specific size car.

I have actually considered canceling the UCT reservation and just paying the higher rates so I can walk right out to the car (usually book with Alamo).

Thoughts, experiences, and advice welcome!

I have a reservation with Avis with the 50% off UCT rate for the first week of June. Not gonna lie - I'm nervous. I've called Avis to add my member number to bypass the desk and have been told that's not possible with my rate (which seems to jive with what people are saying here). I'm nervous about both an hour plus wait at the desk and/or there not being a car available. My flight is scheduled to land at 9am and is usually a bit early. It's just me, so I don't need a specific size car.

I have actually considered canceling the UCT reservation and just paying the higher rates so I can walk right out to the car (usually book with Alamo).

No advice, but wanted to post I share your worries and understand how you're feeling. I just did the same thing for the first time.

Pulled the trigger a few days ago and got a great rate with UT through Budget (I also try to mostly book Alamo but they were a few hundred dollars more even with UT). We normally don't care what small car we get, but this time have 6 people so need the larger vehicle. I'm not sure what we'll do if nothing is available since we're staying at a rental house for half the week.

If I could find an Alamo rate non-UT that isn't $500 more I'd book it in a heartbeat!

Arrived Friday at MCO at 10 am. Walked past counters in terminal A. Lines nothing like what we saw in March. Busy but not out of ordinary.

used Avis preferred, out of midsize, full-size & premium. I had booked Midsize, asthey typically have an upgrade of some sort in our assigned spot. This time around found this monster. There were multiple ones on their aisles. Looked relatively new

View attachment 572026

I refused & wound up with a tiny Ford eco sport (17K) miles) with little trunk space, as in we had to fold down back seat to get 2suitcases & carryon loaded

Only accepted as just 2of this trip. Did appear to be stocked with vehicles, just mostly subcompacts, trucks & suvs

OMG haha I do not think I could drive a truck this big. I would be hitting every telephone pole from the airport to the resort.

I cancelled my UCT reservation and booked directly through Avis for the same reason. I am using a corporate discount code it's only $10 more and worth it for peace of mind.

No advice, but wanted to post I share your worries and understand how you're feeling. I just did the same thing for the first time.
I really love Alamo. I've always had excellent service with them. They're just SOOO pricey this trip. It's a little painful to think about but I haven't ruled out switching.

I cancelled my UCT reservation and booked directly through Avis for the same reason. I am using a corporate discount code it's only $10 more and worth it for peace of mind.
I've considered doing that. It's considerably more for me, but still less than Alamo. I can't seem to confirm anywhere that with Avis you can go directly to your car at MCO. Can you? I'm still seeing something online about having to use a kiosk in the garage even as a preferred member.

So no issues canceling? I was worried it was one of those "sounds too good to be true" deals when I saw free cancelation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter