Actual Car Rental Experiences at MCO

If you have Avis Preferred I understand that you can skip the counter. Where should I go then if I arrive to terminal B. (I'm not familiar with the MCO airport)

When we did an Avis rental last July (as a Preferred member) I got a car assignment in the Avis app. Went diretly to the aisle and spot the app indicated and my car was waiting with keys in it. Hopped in and drove to the booth at the exit for them to scan me out.

We booked our car through Enterprise using Chase Ultimate Rewards. I don't see anywhere on the reservation to check in early to avoid the lines at the counter after we land at MCO. Am I missing something or is this option not available because I booked with points. TIA

We booked our car through Enterprise using Chase Ultimate Rewards. I don't see anywhere on the reservation to check in early to avoid the lines at the counter after we land at MCO. Am I missing something or is this option not available because I booked with points. TIA
I've never used Enterprise at an airport location. By Googling, I found this on the autoslash website- While Enterprise doesn’t have a true line-skipping service, membership in the free Enterprise Plus program lets you enjoy members-only expedited check-in at participating airport locations. In addition, Enterprise offers online check-in, which can help you bypass the line when you pick up your car.

I am reading about all the horrible car rental experiences around the country and am hoping to hear of some actual recent experiences at MCO. In particular, was the car you reserved actually available and/or was your reservation rate honored?

Thank you.

It has more to do with what time of the year you travel. If you go during a high travel season (Spring Break or summer) then you can expect chaos at most airport locations. MCO is no exception. We have always gone in October and have never even had to wait on one person in a line. No chaos at all at any rental agency we used.

We flew to MCO on 4/11/21, arrived around 7:30pm. We had a reservation with Hertz, and don't belong to their club. We were in line for about 90 minutes. The entire rental area was packed, and it took another 30 mins to get a car and get out of the garage. The rental desks in the garage were packed with frustrated customers, and there were very few cars in the garage for any of the companies (except Enterprise). Return was a breeze.

I just messaged with DH, who arrived at MCO tonight around 6:30pm. He had a very similar experience with a Budget rental; in line in the terminal over an hour, took enough 30 mins to get the car and get out of the garage. He was Not Happy. I am going to sign us both up for every rental car agency club program known to man (although I hate to leave my cc number on accounts).

In order to use any of the loyalty program services from any of the companies you have to have the member number associated with the reservation. Some third parties there is a place to do this, some there are not. If there was not a place to enter that number or you forgot, you can try calling the rental company directly and see if they can add it for you. Sometimes they can/will, sometimes they can't/won't. Right now many of those benefits just aren't happening. There aren't enough cars for Hertz to assign one to a Gold Club member in the morning and let it sit there all day.
It has more to do with what time of the year you travel. If you go during a high travel season (Spring Break or summer) then you can expect chaos at most airport locations. MCO is no exception. We have always gone in October and have never even had to wait on one person in a line. No chaos at all at any rental agency we used.
In the before times you are correct, have you rented in the last three months? Even in places where there is rarely an issue, there's been issues. It doesn't help that many people are making two or three reservations with different companies and no showing on them. That might very well be the next change to come to rental cars, Cancellation fees.

Wow- and here I thought renting a car would be easier with littles than navigating the dis transportation right now!

Any recent news for rental car experiences inside the terminal at MCO? Specifically Budget? I rented through a 3rd party for a discount and cannot add my husband's member # to our reservation so we have to wait on line in the terminal.

Any recent news for rental car experiences inside the terminal at MCO? Specifically Budget? I rented through a 3rd party for a discount and cannot add my husband's member # to our reservation so we have to wait on line in the terminal.
We had a very smooth experience this past weekend with Budget. Also booked through a third party and couldn't add DH's # to the reservation. We arrived at the counter at around 10 a.m. We waited maybe 15 minutes (but the line did build up quickly by the time we checked in and headed to the garage). It wasn't crazy long yet though, they had a car with a specific parking spot for our vehicle.

ETA we were super worried since we didn't book through Costco this time since it was such a huge price difference. But they did have a car for us ready.

We had a car reserved with Budget through a 3rd party and arrived at 11 am on 5/30. Two days before we arrived, prices came down quite a bit through Costco and I booked a "back-up" reservation with Avis for about $60 more. Upon arrival, the budget line was very long. I would guess it was at least 90-120 minutes. I am a Fastbreak member but was unable to use it since it was through a 3rd party. I cancelled the Budget reservation and used my Avis one instead. Since you can add your preferred number via Costco, I was able to go directly to the garage for Avis. There were 3 people in line ahead of me and I had my car in about 15 minutes. I had booked a full-size and they gave me a small SUV (Ford Escape). It was fairly smooth and my quoted rate is what I was charged.

We are going back for a short trip at the end of July and as of now I am using Disney transportation because rates are very high for rentals (Over $500 for 4 days).

We had a very smooth experience this past weekend with Budget. Also booked through a third party and couldn't add DH's # to the reservation. We arrived at the counter at around 10 a.m. We waited maybe 15 minutes (but the line did build up quickly by the time we checked in and headed to the garage). It wasn't crazy long yet though, they had a car with a specific parking spot for our vehicle.

ETA we were super worried since we didn't book through Costco this time since it was such a huge price difference. But they did have a car for us ready.
Thank you for the reply!

Friday 6/25: Approximately 600 people in the counter area at 2 am, after 8 delayed SwA flights landed. Every single chair filled and kids crashed out all over the floor in the seating area. We had had to change our flight from Sat morning at the last minute due to flight cancellation, and there were no cars available when I tried to change the reservation to one day sooner, so we shuttled to an airport hotel for the night.

Returned to MCO Saturday 6/26 at 9 am for my National reservation. There were at least 40 people in each company's line, but the kiosks were operational and wide-open. I used a kiosk and was out of the garage with my Emerald aisle rental in 10 minutes from the time I walked up.

PS: B side is closed right now. Hotel shuttle driver warned me that he had driven several families recently who had to stay another night near MCO because they missed an evening flight while waiting to return a car to the garage. He recommended arriving at MCO at least 3.5 hours before boarding time, because on busy evenings the line of cars often wraps completely around the outside of entire A parking structure.

PPS: When we arrived at MCO for a flight this past Wednesday night, there was no return line in the garage to speak of. I think perhaps it might be an issue on Sunday nites, but probably not the rest of the week.

Last edited:
Can anyone share their recent experience with Emerald Isle at MCO? How was the car selection options?

Can anyone share their recent experience with Emerald Isle at MCO? How was the car selection options?
It doesn’t disappoint. I’m not sure how much the “emerald” differs from the “executive isle” but out of all the National locations I’ve used on previous trips, the executive isle at MCO is consistently the best. Usually a large variety to choose from, and their premium upgrades aren’t middle of the road Infiniti’s either… they’re usually the latest and top tier BMW, Audi, Range Rover, Maserati, etc.

It doesn’t disappoint. I’m not sure how much the “emerald” differs from the “executive isle” but out of all the National locations I’ve used on previous trips, the executive isle at MCO is consistently the best. Usually a large variety to choose from, and their premium upgrades aren’t middle of the road Infiniti’s either… they’re usually the latest and top tier BMW, Audi, Range Rover, Maserati, etc.
The executive aisle is completely different from the emerald aisle. The executive is where you go if you have higher status, emerald aisle is available to all members of their program that book a midsize or above.

What I've been seeing posted on other forums for MCO is a lot of pick up trucks, Toyota Camrys and Hyundai Sonatas. A few minivans but those go quick.

I signed up for budgets program,does that allow me to bypass the counter?

I signed up for budgets program,does that allow me to bypass the counter?
Did you rent directly with Budget? We rented through a third party so we weren't able to go that route (I tried by signing up and then calling both companies before arrival).

We have done it with Alamo booking through Costco since they allow you to add a # during the booking. I'd imagine if you'd booked direct (or I think with Costco) you should be able to.

Maybe someone who has used Budget's program can chime in :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter