Aboard the Magic 1/7/06!

Everyone:

Thanks so much for your live reports. Hope you had a good day in St. Maarten and another great day in St. Thomas today.

Could you please let me know how they handled the time change when coming into St. Maarten. My understanding from DCL is that the ship's clocks when in St. Maarten and St. Thomas will reflect island time (these islands are one hour ahead of Eastern Standard Time.) The ship is scheduled in St. Maarten for an 8:00am ashore time and 7:30pm departure time and DCL indicated this is actual island time. My guess is if the ship's clocks are pushed ahead by one hour in St. Maarten, DCL must just leave the clocks this way until after St. Thomas.

Is all this correct? Your help is greatly appreciated as I am trying to set up excursion pick up times in St. Maarten and St. Thomas and want to make sure we are in sync.

Thanks for your help. Enjoy your cruise.

maminnie

P.S. How was the weather in St. Maarten and St. Thomas? What excursions did everyone do? Thanks again for your reports.

Woa - did he get a discount on that massage???

I hope things are settling down now for you guys. Its wonderful news about what great service you are getting. I am sure that DCL reads the boards and is trying to improve any situations that are coming through in reports here.

Have a wonderful rest of your week!

If I remember correctly from when we did our last Eastern Cruise they turn the clocks for moving from Eastern to Atlantic time the second night. IF anyone has Eastern Navigators posted it would say in there. The Bahamas and almost all of the islands in the Eastern Caribean area are in the Atlantic Time Zone. This is not a big deal if you cruise in the summer because none of those countries use Daylight Savings Time.

Jenny...on our next to last cruise we had Sylvester as our server. His partner at that time was Ivan. On our last cruise, they were not together...but maybe Ivan is your Irvin?????? Ivan did magic tricks and I believe he was from Croatia or Bulgaria...some place like that. Maybe they are back together. We have never had bad servers on any of our cruises..but they were absolutely the best. We saw both of them on our last cruise and Sylvester brought our DD a HUGE banana split....that DH and I wound up eating of course.

And I can never say enough about the wonderful PJ...he's the best.

Hope the rest of your cruise is the best ever.....and if you remember please tell Sylvester that the Glass family...who cruised right after his baby was born...dd even bought the baby a little gift....send him our best.

Wish we were there with you.....

Phyllis :dog2: :dog:

Hi all,
We have had a lovely day today in St. Thomas. We changed the clocks the first night out and have stayed on Atlantic time all week.
Yesterday in St. Maarten we had a few downpours. Real drenching rain but brief. Last night we had heavy rain and the Pirates party was moved inside. No fireworks because of the rain. But they rescheduled them for this evening at 7:45 and they were great!!!
St. Thomas was lovely but very crowded. There were 3 ships at the Havensight pier-Us, the Costa Magica out of Ft. Lauderdale and the Mariner of the Seas. The MSC Opera which was docked next to us in St. Maarten was anchored in the bay and had to tender in. There were 3 more ships anchored on the other side of Charlotte Amalie! Cruise ship gridlock! :upsidedow
We met folks from the MSC Opera. It is a 19 day cruise out of Italy, formal or semi formal every night. :scared: Ballet and Opera on board and apparently no one speaks English crew or pasengers. The English couple that my friend met said that it was very strange and no too enjoyable because of the language barrier. Apparently they make no effort to see that all their passengers understand what is going on. (I find the Magic crew to be helpful in trying to find someone who can translate whenever necessary.)
There was some confusion and they originally tried to dock but were made to move by port authorities because the Magic, Mariner and Magica all were scheduled to dock today. And apparently their customs clearance did not go smoothly.
Our customs clearance was great. Smooth and efficient as I expected. ::yes::
Service has been wonderful. Every crew member that I meet says hello. They are helpful and very sincere. ::yes::
We had brunch and dinner at Palo and had Florencia both times. She is a doll.
Off to dinner and then a lovely day at sea tomorrow and then CC!!!!! :cool2:

NancyDVC said:
Hi all,
We have had a lovely day today in St. Thomas. We changed the clocks the first night out and have stayed on Atlantic time all week.
Yesterday in St. Maarten we had a few downpours. Real drenching rain but brief. Last night we had heavy rain and the Pirates party was moved inside. No fireworks because of the rain. But they rescheduled them for this evening at 7:45 and they were great!!!
St. Thomas was lovely but very crowded. There were 3 ships at the Havensight pier-Us, the Costa Magica out of Ft. Lauderdale and the Mariner of the Seas. The MSC Opera which was docked next to us in St. Maarten was anchored in the bay and had to tender in. There were 3 more ships anchored on the other side of Charlotte Amalie! Cruise ship gridlock! :upsidedow
We met folks from the MSC Opera. It is a 19 day cruise out of Italy, formal or semi formal every night. :scared: Ballet and Opera on board and apparently no one speaks English crew or pasengers. The English couple that my friend met said that it was very strange and no too enjoyable because of the language barrier. Apparently they make no effort to see that all their passengers understand what is going on. (I find the Magic crew to be helpful in trying to find someone who can translate whenever necessary.)
There was some confusion and they originally tried to dock but were made to move by port authorities because the Magic, Mariner and Magica all were scheduled to dock today. And apparently their customs clearance did not go smoothly.
Our customs clearance was great. Smooth and efficient as I expected. ::yes::
Service has been wonderful. Every crew member that I meet says hello. They are helpful and very sincere. ::yes::
We had brunch and dinner at Palo and had Florencia both times. She is a doll.
Off to dinner and then a lovely day at sea tomorrow and then CC!!!!! :cool2:
Enjoy the day at sea...Thanks for the report..

budwmn said:
I also wanted to make a point to say what wonderful service we've had on this cruise. It has been BY FAR the best we have ever experienced. Due to recent reports that service had declined, I was a little nervous about what to expect. Our room attendant is Austin -- very personable, always says hi in the halls and the cabin is immaculate whenever we return. :

Please tell Austin HELLO from the Graves family in 8004 last month. He was wonderful! He helped me deal with DS when he wasn't behaving himself too. LOL! William was going to help him vacuum. ;)

disneylover5 said:
Thanks so much for the info on the pins....I just can not wait!!

I hope your seas get calmer.....usually they are not too bad this time of the year. Keep having fun enjoy!!

Lisa

Be sure to look for Marina & Yolanda in the gift shops. They are WONDERFUL with kids who are trading pins. Please tell them that William & Kaitlyn say hello!

Thanks for the help with the time change.

Everyone on the 1/7/06 Magic, enjoy the rest of your week!! :sunny: :sunny:

maminnie

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply -- we've just been having too much fun!

First, I wrote down the names and will pass on your messages to the CMs.

It's just been a fantastic cruise. The seas have calmed down and we have breezy, but sunny skies. No my DH didn't get a discount for his massage, but that's okay -- we felt so sorry for the poor girl for having to work while she was so sick.

For those who haven't seen Twice Charmed, it's wonderful. I have a DS 9 who wasn't too excited about seeing a Cinderella show, but even he loved it. It seems much more polished than the other shows -- more like a true Broadway musical. The cast has been fantastic dealing with a few technical issues and the rough seas.

As far as ports go, St. Maarten was o.k.. We went to Orient Beach on our own. My DH was a little upset (hee hee) that there were no Bo Derek type beauties walking on the beach, instead he got to see 4 or 5 old men (we're talking age 70 plus) with big pot bellies walking around nude :scared1: . LOL! :rotfl: My DS didn't even notice them because he was too happy building sand castles. I thought the beach was nice, but nothing amazing. :confused3 It was a very windy day and we had a few strong storms (lasting about 10 minutes). The bathrooms were pretty nasty and I was kind of happy to get back to the ship. On the other hand, we LOVED St. Thomas. Funny, too, because it was the port I was least interested in visiting. We did some shopping (got a good deal on a watch for DH), and then took the tram to Paradise Point. What a great spot! We caught the 1:30 bird show and then had lunch at the restaurant overlooking the island. I'm a picky eater and the food was very good. We stayed up there for two hours while we ate and drank a couple of beers. I highly recommend it. I spoke to a woman who went to Trunk Bay and loved that as well (she was a very LUCKY person -- upgraded from a window view to a Cat. 3 -- DVC member).

I'm off to catch up with the rest of the family! :sunny:

Jenny..

Thanks for passing on the messages to the CM's. I know they like to be
remembered by their "old" cruisers. My DD still talks about Sylvester to this day......

Have a great rest of the week..............

Phyllis :dog2: :dog:

Hi all,
We are on our way to CC. A beautiful morning today. Slight breeze. Wondeful sunrise. I am in the Cove Cafe right now. Lots of folks up and around.
Had a lovely day at sea yesterday. Listened to Bob Holland's second talk on Imagineering. Took the galley tour. Lots of great info. Chef Steve was our 'tour guide'. He brought both ships over from Italy. All the food is ordered and inspected in WDW. Then delivered to the ship where it is inspected again. And anything not up to standards is retruned with the vendor having to not only replace it but get it to the next port at their own expense! For the 14 day Panama Canal they sent fresh supplies from WDW to Curacao to replenish. They never take on local food in any port. They follow USDA standards for all food handling. ::yes::
They also do constant training of crew. And they promote from within. He told us about some crew who started as cooks and were now assistant chefs. Nice. Also the preparation staff does the same job for months. Joe in the Lumiere's kitchen does the potatoes. So we all thanked Joe for the lovely potatoes.
Saw some wedding cakes being decorated in the pastry area. I guess there are a few weddings/vow renewals today. :bride: :groom:
Take care. Off to see us dock at CC. I'll soak up some sun for all of you. :sunny: :cool2:

Thanks DVC Nancy for the post before your day in CC.

So glad to hear you have great weather for the day. Enjoy!! Hopefully we will have the same in February. :sunny: :sunny:

Have fun.

Thank you again everyone for sharing your cruise with us.

maminnie

P.S. We had Sylvester in '04 on the Magic and he was really 'excellent'.

Time to go home already. I am up early since a boat was right outside our window this am pushing us to port-or at least that was my assumption.
Castaway Cay was absolutely gorgeous yesterday.. sunny with a few clouds, about 75 degrees. Fantastic weather.
DH and I checked the kids into the kids club on the island , then headed to yoga on the beach-over by serenity bay- a great way to start the morning. WE finished it off with a few frozen drinks afterwards to make it even better.
By the time we picked up the kids and headed to the family beach, it was a bit of a struggle to find a good spot to sit-very crowded on that beach compared to serenity bay.. but the kids still had fun. Lots of people swimming- I thought the water was quite cool-but something you could acclimate to.
Overall we all loved this stop and I was thrilled to have such fab weather.
Now we are just docked at Port Canaveral and it is cool and windy on deck..sob..
later

can you tell me if the had the movie glory road on the ship? it opened here friday and i noticed it was a disney movie. sounds like you had a great trip.

tricia

It wasn't on this cruise, but maybe it will be on the next one.

Here I am back home again, wishing that I was boarding the Magic today. It was a great cruise. We adored Serenity Bay. Quiet, peaceful and warm. The water was cool at first but we got used to it. We saw lots of fish, starfish, sand dollars etc. and that was just walking in the water, no snorkel gear. The water was very clear. Next time we plan to rent floats.
When we got uo on Saturday we were pulling into port. It was cool and windy again just like when we left the week before. We had 8:30 dinner all week so our breakfast was at 8:15.
When we finished we strolled off as I tried not to cry. Flights were delaye dat the airport because of strong cross winds. When we checke dour luggage at the port we were asked if we wanted an earlier flight and we jumped at it. The flight was delayed leaving because of the wind but we still got home earlier thanour original flight. :sunny:
We reboked onboard for a Western next January 13. I may have to change the dates because of work but we are booked! Hurray! :cloud9:

We decided to add our trip report to NancyDVC's thread. We spent several days at WDW after the cruise and just got home a few days ago. I hope she doesn't mind, but then we did buy her a cappucino in the Cove Cafe Sunday. Nancy and her friend are two really nice people and we very much enjoyed meeting them on the trip.

We (DW, DD~4, and me) left on Friday the 6th and flew direct from on Southwest from Islip to Orlando. After much research, we decided to rent from Budget and do a drop off at the port. After getting our car, we drove a short distance to the Embassy Suites at the airport. It was a very nice hotel, but it was too cool and windy to use the outdoor pool. During the manager's happy hour (which is free), we met four other families who were also going on the cruise. Several were DD's age and they all had a great time while the adults sipped our free drinks. I did a quick store run for last minute items like sunscreen and lots of wine and liquor. We did room service for dinner, which was really quite nice.

The next morning we slept in before having breakfast in the hotel (also free). One of the families we met the night before were taking the DCL coaches to the port, but were able to get the hotel shuttle to stop at the liquor store before being dropped at the airport. We did some last minute shopping for pirate garb at the local Target and then left for the port around 11:45. We arrived at around 1230, just when the first people were boarding. We had no trouble dropping the luggage off with a porter. DW and DD then went into the terminal to check in while I dropped off the car.

The drop off at Budget was so easy I couldn't believe it. There is also a gas station between the port and the office, so it was easy to gas up. Once at the office, I waited about five minutes for a return shuttle with another Magic passenger. The driver said it was now starting to slow down a little because the other cruise ship which sails on Saturday was going into drydock that day so there were no return passengers for that ship only the Magic. Earlier in the day though, they had done over 80 trips to the ships and back and the wait for the shuttle had been longer.

Once back at the terminal, I had no trouble getting through security (the no alcohol sign is a little intimidating) and relieved DW in the line. Total time in line was about 45 minutes, but it could have been longer if we had arrived a little later since the busses from WDW arrived shortly after we got there.

We had time for a picture of DD with Minnie Mouse. This was our first experience with how nice our cruise was going to be. She was actually waiting in line for a photo with Goofy, but he had to take a break just when she was about to have her picture taken. She was in tears, but a CM named Adam, who we later learned is a dancer in the shows, played with her till Minnie showed up for pictures a few mintues later.
After that, it was through the ears, having our names announced, and since it was after 1:30, straight to our stateroom to drop off our day bags. We had picked a stateroom midships (first time cruisers) with an outside verandah. It was very nice for the three of us, with plenty of space to store luggage. Never did learn to open the verandah correctly the first time however
After lunch at the buffet, we went back to our room to unpack our luggage which had been delivered while we were eating. After that it was time for the lifeboat drill.

We went to the sailaway party and looked for other DISers on deck 10, portside, but didn't see any green or Love4Disney's special shirts. The party was fun, but definitely uncrowded ( The 59 F weather probably had something to do with that). Our departure was delayed because of some late arriving flights.

We were at the 5:30 seating on the APL rotation. The first night show was very entertating in AP and our serving team, Erasmo from Chile, and Shawna form the USA!! were just perfect. The food was very good and we did not mind that we were kind of placed in a table over in a corner. We had no table mates that night, or for most nights of our cruise. We actually set sail during dinner, so we did not see the ship leaving the harbor.
After dinner, we went to the Oceaneer's Club to check DD in and pick up our beeper. It has been stated on these boards that you can pick up the beepers at a special desk during checkin, but that wasn't the case for us. We had filled out the forms on line before boarding so check in was probably about a 10 minute process. The club is actually not fully operational on Saturday night. The time is reserved for parents to visit with their children to help the kids become use to the counselors and the setting. Our DD has been in day care since six weeks, so she had no trouble acclimating, as did most of the kids. In fact, my daughter had so much fun in the club, we had a hard time getting her out that night and for most of the rest of the trip.

We were all very tired, so after a quick tour of the ship, we skipped the show that night and went to bed. The crossing was very gentle, but I admit I did need to look at the windows a few time to see the horizon and settle myself.

Sunday started out as a very nice day. It was about 75 degrees and the seas were calm We had coffee on the verandah and watched the Bahamas go by in the dark. Our character breakfast was that morning and it was good, but not nearly as nice as the Pooh one at the Crystal Palace in the MK. After that, we took DD to the Oceaneer's club, which she loved. It's hard to predict if the children are going to enjoy being in the club, but if they do, it's wonderful. We then went down to the DVC meet in Diversions where we met our first DISer, NancyDVC, who started this thread. We picked up some lanyards and hats, along with a nice beach bag at the meeting. After that finished, we took DD out of the club for some time at the Mickey Pool, which was nice and warm. In fact, according to the tv, all the pools were heated to about 84 degrees throughout the trip. DW got some laps in the adult pool while I watched us pull into Nassau. As NancyDVC mentioned, we had to turn back to drop off an ill passenger. I did get to see the Atlantis complex in the distance.

We had originally planned to go to the matinee show of the Golden Mickey's, but DD insisted on going back to the club, but not before telling us that we needed to go the adult club. Taking her advice, we went up to the Cove Cafe for a cappucino and irish whiskey. We ran into NancyDVC and her friend there. Jerry, one of the people we had met at the Embassy Suites also stopped by and raved about the massage he had just had at the spa. Turned out his wife had given it to him as a present and he was very happy she did.

Sunday being formal night, we took DD out of the club and changed into our formal clothes. We then went down for the Captain's reception, where they do serve some very nice free drinks. Captain Tom was very gracious and assured us that our detour to Nassau would not delay our arrival in St. Martin. For those of you reading this from our cruise meet thread, you should also know I made one last plea for a whisky tasting to be scheduled with the cruise director and assistant cruise director. Unfortunately, they could not arrange it.

Sunday was also our night to do Palo. We had originally booked a late seating since we did not know our rotation before we boarded and did not want to miss AP. However, it turned out we had the APL rotation, so we were able to switch to an earlier seating. It turns out that the 3-4 year olds were just starting dinner at topsiders at that time, so we were able to take DD to the buffet, check her in there (very easy and nice), then just walk up one flight to Palo.

There has been some discussion on the boards as to whether or not Palo is worth the extra $20. I can definitely say that it is. The seas were starting to get a little rough now and Palo was only about half full for the early seating ( People could definitely have got in that night without reservations). The food was very good (We both had the beef tenderloin) and definitely on a higher level than that served in the dining room. The service was good, but not outstanding and we felt not as good as we received from our service team in the main dining rooms. The Palo manager, PJ, however, was wonderful and we enjoyed talking with him about his growing up in Australia.
The chocolate souffle was good, but we actually preferred the pistachio torte that was offered that night.

After that, we took DD to the Golden Mickeys. We arrived too late to be interviewed, but definitely enjoyed the show. DD just stared with a broad smile on her face throughout and could not stop applauding. She also enjoyed the dancing at the family party in Studio Sea after the show. We closed the evening with Mickey Bars (that made three desserts that night) in our cabin.
:teacher:

Our second day at sea was made very interesting by heavy seas and high winds. According to the tv display, we were in 14-22 seas and gale force winds most of the day. After eating breakfast in Topsiders, we walked out on deck 9 to see most of the pools spraying like the fountains at Disney World. I have a short JPEG movie which I will send to the forum moderator for posting later. It was quite impressive watching the water shoot up about 10-20 feet. The captain had posted a crew member at each pool for the pupose of draining the pools if needed. Fortunately, they only had to drain the family pool, and all the pools except the adult pool were closed (along with port side deck 4 promenade) for the entire day.

The highlight of the day for DD was the Princess signing in the atrium. It is really quite impressive to see all the young girls, many in their princess dresses, (along with a lot of boys) waiting in line for autographs and photos with all the princesses on board. Even though they keep the line moving, each princess talks (staying in character) with each child for awhile, before signing and posing for photos. Since our DD had her Snow White dress on, Snow White spent a little extra time with her.

After dropping DD back at the club (It is really a great cruise if your child loves the clubs), DW and I braved the adult pool with a few other hearty souls. It was true wave pool (think Typhoon Lagoon) with even the hot tubs spraying everywhere. It was fun though and we had Signals bar to ourselves. By late afternoon, the sun had come out even if the wind was still blowing and the ship rocking.

That night we tried to have dinner in Lumiere's. Unfortunately, the seas were starting to get to DD and she was very cranky (and most people judging by how empty we were). Rather than disturb our table mates (who were without their kids that night), I took DD back to the room after ordering dinner. She settled down once we go to the room, so I ordered some room service for her. There was a 45 minute wait, since so many people were dining in because of the seas. I was a little surprised then when a room steward knocked on my door about 5 minutes later and brought in my entire dinner from Lumiere's, including my wine and a selection of all the deserts on the menu. I was so pleased that our server team, Erasmo and Shawna, had been thoughtful enough to do that without asking. We finished the evening watching Twice Charmed, which turned out to be our favorite show, but no Mickey Bars because of the rough seas and my three deserts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter