ABD China 2017

Where did you buy your adapters? The places I've checked lately have these big, bulky Universal adapters, and I've not had luck with those. I have UK style ones for Hong Kong, but I'm not positive what to bring for China. Stuff I read is conflicting.

Sayhello

I bought a world-wide set of adapters at Brookstone years ago that comes with a nice storage case. It has worked well for me to date. This way I never have to go out and buy one for each trip and they store nice and neatly in one place :)

Here is the link:
http://www.brookstone.com/pd/7-Piec...ch&bkeid=compare|mercent|googlebaseads|search

We had a set of adapters that came with a converter we bought years ago, but I also bought an additional adapter set since we were going to be in two rooms so each room could have an adapter. I bought the set off of Amazon, but I can't remember the exact one I bought. Here's a link to something on Amazon that is a 3-pack of the type of adapter needed for China. You probably don't want 3, but it will show you the correct shape/style. It's a 3-prong, but they are slanted.

https://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-Chin...347205&sr=8-1&keywords=plug+adapter+for+china
Thanks for the recommendation! Ordered these adaptors and they just arrived from Amazon!

Finalizing our post-tour Shanghai days. We are going back to Shanghai Disneyland and then dinner at the Royal Banquet Hall on Thursday the 6th. Friday the 7th Tongli Water Town tour with Miki. That leaves us with one post day left in Shanghai. Anniversary dinner at Mr. and Mrs. B, but still deciding on day plans. Any input on the essential Shanghai sites to see that the tour leaves out?

Our farewell dinner is at Shanghai Disneyland before the fireworks. I am wondering if that dinner will be at the Royal Banquet Hall as that is the only table service restaurant in Shanghai Disneyland. The other two table service restaurants (Lumiere's Kitchen and Aurora) are in the Shanghai Disneyland Hotel.

I have heard that both Barbossa's Bounty and Wandering Moon are both must do's in Shanghai Disneyland but they are both counter service.

We have booked Capital M in Beijing and then were looking at Country Kitchen, Red Bowl (both in the Rosewood) or Baoyuan Dumpling Restaurant for the second night. It is just hard to know how tired or full from lunch we might be.

Are you on the June 25th trip, CaliKris? I thought I saw that date in another post. We are on for that date as well!

Are you on the June 25th trip, CaliKris? I thought I saw that date in another post. We are on for that date as well!
Yes, we are! We are super excited for this trip. It will be our first ABD and I am glad there is someone on the boards that is also going on our dates:). It is just going to be my husband and I since our kids are in their 20's and just couldn't take the time off work.

We are gong to the Tongli Water Town on Thursday, July 6th and then Shanghai Disneyland on Friday, July 7th. We are leaving the 8th. Did you make reservations already at the Royal Banquet Hall? I wasn't sure if we could since we are not staying at the Shanghai Disneyland hotel.

The observation deck at the Shanghai World Financial Tower is supposed to provide a spectacular view if it is a clear day. I also hear good things about the Shanghai museum. I will let you know if I run across any other ideas for Shanghai.

Yes, we are! We are super excited for this trip. It will be our first ABD and I am glad there is someone on the boards that is also going on our dates:). It is just going to be my husband and I since our kids are in their 20's and just couldn't take the time off work.

We are gong to the Tongli Water Town on Thursday, July 6th and then Shanghai Disneyland on Friday, July 7th. We are leaving the 8th. Did you make reservations already at the Royal Banquet Hall? I wasn't sure if we could since we are not staying at the Shanghai Disneyland hotel.

The observation deck at the Shanghai World Financial Tower is supposed to provide a spectacular view if it is a clear day. I also hear good things about the Shanghai museum. I will let you know if I run across any other ideas for Shanghai.
So exciting to have a fellow dis-er on the trip! We are just three of us, my husband, myself and our 9-year old daughter. I travel agent told us the group is full and shapes us as 35 total people with 20 adults and 15 kids.

To funny that we are basically swapping our post day itineraries! It's all that great info on these boards! LOL. I was thoroughly confused by what can be booked and when at Shanghai Disneyland, so last night my husband just called and they booked us for the Royal Banquet Hall with no questions about where we were saying or anything. Still cannot book premium tours until 45 days out. My husband said the call was very easy and conducted in excellent English.

Thank you for the Shanghai suggestions, I will look into those!
Jen

So exciting to have a fellow dis-er on the trip! We are just three of us, my husband, myself and our 9-year old daughter. I travel agent told us the group is full and shapes us as 35 total people with 20 adults and 15 kids.

To funny that we are basically swapping our post day itineraries! It's all that great info on these boards! LOL. I was thoroughly confused by what can be booked and when at Shanghai Disneyland, so last night my husband just called and they booked us for the Royal Banquet Hall with no questions about where we were saying or anything. Still cannot book premium tours until 45 days out. My husband said the call was very easy and conducted in excellent English.

Thank you for the Shanghai suggestions, I will look into those!
Jen
I was wondering what the makeup of our group was. Thanks for the info!

My husband just called and got our Royal Banquet Hall reservations. They did ask if we were staying at the hotel, but it was not a problem that we weren't. She tried to sell us park admission tickets, but it is too early. She said to call back when we have them so she can link them to our dining reservation. I am not sure why. Also, she wanted my husband's passport number. I have heard that you need your passports when entering the park.

Also, she wanted my husband's passport number. I have heard that you need your passports when entering the park.
I've read that, too. I'm not sure why. I'm not thrilled with the idea of carrying my passport around with me at a crowded Disney park...

Sayhello

I did not have a smooth experience reserving through Shanghai. Called three times and could not find person who could speak English. Promised e-mail confirmation but nothing came through. Charged for Shanghai Disney resort ($600) two weeks ago and still can't get refund when I changed to add-on Peninsula. Definitely some growing pains there.

I am wondering if anyone got their "box" yet? Part of the magic on previous ABDs was getting the magical box with goodies and things like 30-day countdown. Are they getting skimpy on these extras now?

I did not have a smooth experience reserving through Shanghai. Called three times and could not find person who could speak English. Promised e-mail confirmation but nothing came through. Charged for Shanghai Disney resort ($600) two weeks ago and still can't get refund when I changed to add-on Peninsula. Definitely some growing pains there.

I am wondering if anyone got their "box" yet? Part of the magic on previous ABDs was getting the magical box with goodies and things like 30-day countdown. Are they getting skimpy on these extras now?
No box here. I called ABD on Friday, and apparently they've been sent, because she was trying to get a tracking number, but said she probably wouldn't be able to get it until Monday, and hopefully I'd have it by then. 2 1/2 weeks is cutting it a bit close!

I was *SO SAD* when they stopped doing the 30-day countdown calendars. I loved those!!

Sayhello

Ugh ... so sorry to hear this. I think it's definitely evolving and I hope the refund issue get settled. No box on our end, but we aren't quite 30 days out yet. This is our first ABD and I have to say it's one area that I think needs some work. I expected to hear more about trip details at this point in the process and we really have heard almost nothing. That said, they have been very responsive to any phone inquiries, somfi gers crossed.

Ugh ... so sorry to hear this. I think it's definitely evolving and I hope the refund issue get settled. No box on our end, but we aren't quite 30 days out yet. This is our first ABD and I have to say it's one area that I think needs some work. I expected to hear more about trip details at this point in the process and we really have heard almost nothing. That said, they have been very responsive to any phone inquiries, somfi gers crossed.

Re: Shanghai - my travel agent tried to cancel my reservation through e-mail, but learned that the resort doesn't check e-mails?? So we're trying now by phone. If I can't straighten it out, I may have to stay at Shabghai and cancel add-on Peninsula.

Because I'm in Canada, we historically got our box a week or two after everyone, or not at all, because of customs. I even enlisted a US travel agent to collect it for me on our last ABD so I wouldn't miss out. This is cutting it too close. Disney, of all companies, should appreciate how important the anticipation element is. The welcome box is an essential part of the experience! How expensive could a count-down calendar possibly be?!

I was wondering what the makeup of our group was. Thanks for the info!

My husband just called and got our Royal Banquet Hall reservations. They did ask if we were staying at the hotel, but it was not a problem that we weren't. She tried to sell us park admission tickets, but it is too early. She said to call back when we have them so she can link them to our dining reservation. I am not sure why. Also, she wanted my husband's passport number. I have heard that you need your passports when entering the park.

I'm so glad the reservation worked out. I haven't contemplated buying our tickets yet, but I guess I should definitely get on it. The person who took our Royal Banquet Hall also mentioned the passport issue, as did the person giving us info on tours, so it seems correct that we need it to enter the park.

This is our first ABD as well and I am a bit surprised by the lack of communication on ABD's part. They asked for our flight details for airport transfers, but we never heard anything after we sent them. It does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that anyone will be at the airport to pick us up!

For those of you who have traveled with ABD before, will there be information about the transfers in our box? If not, I will call to confirm. I don't want to be stranded in the airport tired and weary after a long flight.

Disney was supposed to call me back today with a tracking number for the elusive box, but no word. On previous trips, we were greeted at the airport, but this excursion doesn't seem nearly as organized. I would have expected a lot more preparation given the investment we've made to journey to the other side of the world! I can't figure out why Disney would do away with its pre-trip program. Hope we hear something soon. I'm leaving for L.A. in two days and would have loved to have had some welcome stuff to share with my son. I'm doing my own 30-day countdown but it's not the same.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one disappointed by the pre-trip communication from Disney. Our trip stars in 18 days and no box yet. Like you Calkris I've heard squat from Disney after sending our info about transfers. When I think of the amount of money this trip is costing for the 4 of us, it makes me wonder what I'm paying for :(

Disney was supposed to call me back today with a tracking number for the elusive box, but no word. On previous trips, we were greeted at the airport, but this excursion doesn't seem nearly as organized. I would have expected a lot more preparation given the investment we've made to journey to the other side of the world! I can't figure out why Disney would do away with its pre-trip program. Hope we hear something soon. I'm leaving for L.A. in two days and would have loved to have had some welcome stuff to share with my son. I'm doing my own 30-day countdown but it's not the same.
They were supposed to call me back with a tracking number, also. Still no box, and no tracking number. :(

I'm so glad I'm not the only one disappointed by the pre-trip communication from Disney. Our trip stars in 18 days and no box yet. Like you Calkris I've heard squat from Disney after sending our info about transfers. When I think of the amount of money this trip is costing for the 4 of us, it makes me wonder what I'm paying for :(
Well, I'm also disappointed with the lack of communication. But I'm paying for the Adventure Guides, and the actual trip. Hopefully those are still fabulous!

Sayhello

Disney explained this morning there was a problem with its vendors and they are now shipping out the pre-trip packages. You all can get your tracking numbers today, but mine (coming to Canada) is still in progress:( Do share the excitement with me once you receive your boxes so I can experience the joy vicariously. This trip going to be SO MUCH FUN!!!!! (if I can survive my present anxious state of too much to do - Michael still doesn't have his Visa application in yet, for example, and I'm still waiting for mine)

Disney explained this morning there was a problem with its vendors and they are now shipping out the pre-trip packages. You all can get your tracking numbers today, but mine (coming to Canada) is still in progress:( Do share the excitement with me once you receive your boxes so I can experience the joy vicariously. This trip going to be SO MUCH FUN!!!!! (if I can survive my present anxious state of too much to do - Michael still doesn't have his Visa application in yet, for example, and I'm still waiting for mine)
:scared1: He does realize it can take over 2 weeks unless you physically go to a consulate or embassy, right???

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter