ABD Backstage Magic 4/17 - 4/22/11

I was at the Freehold Mall last week and saw the "Coming Soon" sign on the Disney store! I can't wait for it to open. I go to the outlets more than the mall though, but once it opens again maybe I'll visit there more :)

I can't take off that Monday bc I work in a school and we aren't allowed to take off the day after a break. I would love to add 2 days on though and leave on Sunday. If I'm tired at work that Monday - I don't care haha! I haven't really looked into where just yet. I'd love to stay at GCV. I wonder if there will be any DVC or AP discounts at that time for rooms there? We'll have to check as it gets closer. :thumbsup2 Were you looking for a roommate? Did you check out the thread for solo travelers looking? My roommate and I met up on one of the threads - so it should be a lot of fun!! :woohoo: Let's def set something up for December.

I love AKV! I stayed in a Jambo House studio for my b-day in '08. It was awesome! I haven't packed yet - but that will be my focus of the weekend. :scared1: Excited to stay at VWL as I've never stayed there. This is the 4th trip to BCV and that's my favorite! :goodvibes 4 more days.....:dance3:

I was wondering if you had to work Monday. We always get the Monday after spring break off. Another reason why I like my schedule. Although, it is hard starting back so early. My second week will be over tomorrow though! Only 3 more weeks until I go to DL again! :lmao:

A List of Who's Going....

SusanWasHere - Susan
JWren1234 - Jason
deann - DeAnn
Webmaster Pete - Pete
AKA Scar - Walter
safetymom - Kathy
Newmouse2008 - Teresa

If you'd like to be added to the list....just let me know.

Yeah! I'm on the list! :cool1:

I was wondering if you had to work Monday. We always get the Monday after spring break off. Another reason why I like my schedule. Although, it is hard starting back so early. My second week will be over tomorrow though! Only 3 more weeks until I go to DL again! :lmao:

We normally do have that day off - but we don't this year. Hmmm, isn't that the day after Easter? I just quadruple-checked the calendar and we don't have it off. Thank you for all the info about staying near Disneyland - I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on! I wouldn't mind staying offsite and close by. Esp for the much cheaper rate.

And yeah! I'm on the list too!!!! :banana:

I was at the Freehold Mall last week and saw the "Coming Soon" sign on the Disney store! I can't wait for it to open. I go to the outlets more than the mall though, but once it opens again maybe I'll visit there more :)

I can't take off that Monday bc I work in a school and we aren't allowed to take off the day after a break. I would love to add 2 days on though and leave on Sunday. If I'm tired at work that Monday - I don't care haha! I haven't really looked into where just yet. I'd love to stay at GCV. I wonder if there will be any DVC or AP discounts at that time for rooms there? We'll have to check as it gets closer. :thumbsup2 Were you looking for a roommate? Did you check out the thread for solo travelers looking? My roommate and I met up on one of the threads - so it should be a lot of fun!! :woohoo: Let's def set something up for December.

I love AKV! I stayed in a Jambo House studio for my b-day in '08. It was awesome! I haven't packed yet - but that will be my focus of the weekend. :scared1: Excited to stay at VWL as I've never stayed there. This is the 4th trip to BCV and that's my favorite! :goodvibes 4 more days.....:dance3:

I'm still contemplating where to stay after the trip. I know I really just want to stay at the Grand Californian, but we'll have to see. Maybe there will be some discounts, you never know :goodvibes I actually never looked for a roommate, just signed up. So I never checked any of the threads.

If you are thinking of coming back on Sunday, Continental has a bunch of earlier flights as well as the red eye. I was just thinking of doing the red eye so as to maximize my time that last day. But you could always take an earlier one -- you'd definitely be tired at work the next day but you'd have an extra day in Disney!

I love AKV too! It's probably my favorite place on property. I'm afraid I'll miss it in October. But I am excited to stay at BCV and be within walking distance to Epcot. Definitely a huge plus!

I'm staying at Jambo in a value studio in December. Hoping for a savannah view -- last time I got lucky so hopefully I will this time too! We'll definitely have to meet up in December! Looking forward to it!

Hope you're packing is going well and you're getting excited for your trip. How long are you going for?

:yay: Another ABDer! :banana:

Hello! I'm going on the trip and will be sharing a room with Susan. I will also be at WDW in Dec. I am going on the Podcast Cruise Dec. 12-16 and then staying at Pop until the 23rd. There is a unofficial podcast cruise event on Dec. 17 at Epcot. I don't know if you would want to stay another day for that. If not then maybe we can all meet up on the 16th?

I'm not really sure how crowded DL will be after the ABD trip. But I do know that Friday and Saturday are blockout days for all AP holders except premiums. So there won't be as many passholders those days.

I thought I would share some information about DL as I am not sure how much everyone knows about the differences between DL and WDW. I have a premium AP (well actually a premier pass since I also have a WDW AP). I go to DL quite often. This year I have probably been 7 or 8 times.

As you probably know DL is a lot smaller than WDW. It only takes maybe a minute to walk from DL's entrance to DCA's entrance. It is only a 5 minute walk to the onsite hotels. It can also be a 5 or 10 minute walk to an offsite hotel. I always stay offsite as it is much cheaper. I use Priceline and usually get a 3 1/2 star hotel for $50-$60 a night with all taxes and fees included. Some hotels may charge a resort fee or parking so it could add another $15-20 to the price. I usually get the Hyatt, Sheraton, Marriot, Crown Plaza, or Hilton for that price. If you want to be within walking distance to DL, I would not take a chance with Priceline. Most hotels have ART (Anaheim Resort Transit) or free shuttles. I don't remember how much ART is, but it usually leaves about every 30 min. A lot of people on the Disneyland boards love Hojos and I have also read that the Candy Cane Inn is a good hotel. I've never stayed there as Priceline is usually cheaper and I always drive down to DL, so being close to the parks isn't a big deal for me.

There is a huge price difference in staying onsite vs. offsite. For example, currently the price for 2 nights after the trip at DL Paradise Pier is $725, the Grand Californian is over $1,000 and Hojos is $320. If you took a gamble on Priceline, you might be paying $100-120 for two nights. Of course there is always the possibility of discounts, but I am not sure how often DL offers discounts. I know you wrote that you wanted to stay at the Grand Californian, but I thought I would give you some information just in case. Also, hopefully it will help out any other ABDers who are thinking about staying pre or post ABD.

I hope that helps out a bit. If anyone else has questions about DL or hotels, feel free to ask. I would also recommend checking out the Disneyland board as there is tons of information there about hotels, the differences between WDW, Fastpass info, how to plan your day, etc...

I can't wait for the trip! Hopefully we can meet up at WDW in December. :thumbsup2

Hi DeAnn! Thanks so much for all of the Disneyland info. I know WDW like the back of my hand, but I feel so lost about Disneyland. I knew that it was a lot smaller so staying off site should not be as big of a deal as it is in WDW. But I am still leaning towards staying at the Grand Californian -- I know it will be a lot more expensive though so I am still thinking about it!

And thanks for the tip about the Disneyland board. I will definitely check it out. There's probably some good info over there!

For December, my flight is already booked, so I leave on the 17th. My flight is not until later that evening, but it might be better if we plan to meet up on the 16th. We'll figure something out -- looking forward to meeting both you and Susan!

Whoohoo we just booked this adventure :banana::banana:

We already have booked our airfare.
We booked all our flights with award miles from United.

Our trips starts at April 15th then we leave Amsterdam in the morning (our time) and arrive in Chicago early afternoon (US time).
We fly from Chicago to LAX and arrive late afternoon in LA.

We are going to use the time before the ABD trip to spend some time in Westwood and at the UCLA campus. I want to show Emiel where i spend my 6 weeks study in 2006.

After the ABD trip we stay an extra day we are going to stay off property for 1 night and we leave California on April 23 to spend the rest of our vacation at WDW.

Emiel has visit DL twice:
1990 with his parents and sister
2000 together with me

I visited DL also twice:
2000 with Emiel
2006 during my 6 weeks English Language course at UCLA i spend a weekend at DL totally alone and loved loved loved it!! I bought a Californian resident Annual Pass. This trip i also did the walk in Walt's footsteps tour.

We both visited WDW many many times.

Our next trip is this December, we arrive December 10th and leave December 27th ofcourse we will be on PCC2.0!!

We are soooo looking forward going on this ABD adventure with all of you!!

Hello Robin! Let's def set something with DeAnn up for the 16th! And maybe Yvet and Emiel since they'll be there the same time! We can do a mini-ABD meet before our trip! Jason - will you be at WDW in December by any chance??:confused3

I leave tomorrow for a 12 day trip and haven't started packing yet. :scared1: I really should get moving since I have to leave my house around 2 am. I guess I'm waiting to feel the pressure LOL. I was just there for 9 days in July and left all my stuff in one general area after getting back. So really I just have to organize it into suitcases. See.... I'll say anything to procrastinate!!

I look forward to meeting you Yvet! And Emiel! I've heard you on the Podcast and you always having me cracking up while I'm walking. People probably think I'm crazy laughing while walking by myself :rotfl: I wonder if our ABD trip will stay small bc of the holiday. I really wouldn't mind, I think it would be fun to have a smaller group. We'll def get to know each other by the end, that's for sure. :hug:

I also signed up for the DATW at Epcot on the 17th of December, so I'll see a few of you then. This is really making me excited for the upcoming trips! April is going to be a blast :dance3:

And lastly, I'll be seeing Teresa tomorrow at the Echol's meet and believe Kathy will be there as well. So I'll meet 2 of our other ABDers! Can't wait!

Our trips starts at April 15th then we leave Amsterdam in the morning (our time) and arrive in Chicago early afternoon (US time).

We are going to use the time before the ABD trip to spend some time in Westwood and at the UCLA campus. I want to show Emiel where i spend my 6 weeks study in 2006.

After the ABD trip we stay an extra day we are going to stay off property for 1 night and we leave California on April 23 to spend the rest of our vacation at WDW.

2000 together with me

I visited DL also twice:
2000 with Emiel
2006 during my 6 weeks English Language course at UCLA i spend a weekend at DL totally alone and loved loved loved it!! I bought a Californian resident Annual Pass. This trip i also did the walk in Walt's footsteps tour.

Our next trip is this December, we arrive December 10th and leave December 27th ofcourse we will be on PCC2.0!!

:cool1::yay::banana: Welcome Yvet and Emiel!

My niece wants to go to UCLA. We visited the campus about a month ago. It is beautiful.

I will also be on PCC2.0! It's my first Disney cruise. I am real excited. ABDers Robin and Susan will also be at WDW in December. We are planning on having a ABD mini-meet Dec. 16th, before Robin leaves. We haven't worked out any details yet. Susan and I are signed up to do the DATW event on the 17th.

I have two good friends from university who live in Amsterdam. I have visited about 3 times. One time I was there for Queen's Day! :thumbsup2 Wow! It was crazy, but so much fun! :goodvibes

Susan, we must have been typing our post at the same time!:lmao: Hope you have a great trip! I am so jealous, except for the hot weather at WDW! :lmao: It is going to be in the 100s this week here but we have a very dry heat. I am a wimp when it comes to the humidity and heat. One year I was at WDW in October and I thought it was hot!

Now, go pack! :rotfl: Have fun and say hello to Mickey for me!

2000 together with me

I visited DL also twice:
2000 with Emiel

Hi Yvet! Looking forward to meeting you and Emiel on the trip...I've heard you on the podcast and can't wait to meet you in person!

Jason:goodvibes

Hello Robin! Let's def set something with DeAnn up for the 16th! And maybe Yvet and Emiel since they'll be there the same time! We can do a mini-ABD meet before our trip! Jason - will you be at WDW in December by any chance??:confused3

I leave tomorrow for a 12 day trip and haven't started packing yet. :scared1: I really should get moving since I have to leave my house around 2 am. I guess I'm waiting to feel the pressure LOL. I was just there for 9 days in July and left all my stuff in one general area after getting back. So really I just have to organize it into suitcases. See.... I'll say anything to procrastinate!!

I look forward to meeting you Yvet! And Emiel! I've heard you on the Podcast and you always having me cracking up while I'm walking. People probably think I'm crazy laughing while walking by myself :rotfl: I wonder if our ABD trip will stay small bc of the holiday. I really wouldn't mind, I think it would be fun to have a smaller group. We'll def get to know each other by the end, that's for sure. :hug:

I also signed up for the DATW at Epcot on the 17th of December, so I'll see a few of you then. This is really making me excited for the upcoming trips! April is going to be a blast :dance3:

And lastly, I'll be seeing Teresa tomorrow at the Echol's meet and believe Kathy will be there as well. So I'll meet 2 of our other ABDers! Can't wait!

Hi Susan,
I'm not going to be at WDW in December (not enough vacation time:sad1:). I was wondering the same thing this morning about the size of our group, I'm interested to see how many people sign up!

Have a nice time at Teresa's meet tomorrow!

Jason:goodvibes

Hi folks...

Just so everyone knows....we have limited the Dis ABD Adventures to 30 people including the Podcast Crew.

The July trip actually has 31 signed on.

Kevin

Hello everyone,

Louise & I are from suburbs of St. Louis (Go Cardinals) and first went to WDW in 2002 along with my brother’s family and my father. I have to stay I was stunned on how much I enjoyed this trip. I did not know really what to expect... as it turned out it was all good.

The first time I went down Main Street I had chills running up and down my spine. I kept thinking… hey you’re in your mid-40’s what the heck is this all about… Are you nuts? Well maybe so, but it’s a good nuts.

While watching Fantasmic one of my nieces was yelling to Mickey... "Run Mickey Run" while the dragon was chasing Mickey... what a great memory.

We have been going back most years since. We love the fall & Christmas time feel at WDW.

This will be our first trip to Disneyland and what away to see it... with a bunch of Fantastic fellow Disers and some of the Podcast team:mic:.:thumbsup2

We are leaning towards adding on 1 day prior (probably Renaissance Hollywood Hotel) and 1 day post tour to take in what we may have missed at Disneyland / California Adventure (not sure where). Sort of would like to stay at the Disneyland Resort for one day to get its flavor.

We can't wait to meet you all. We will be on POD2.0 (12/9 - 12/18) and I'm sure we will run into many of you there. DATW, Post MVMCP along with all the Cruise activities.

See you all real soon:wave2:

Mark

2000 together with me

I visited DL also twice:
2000 with Emiel

Hi Yvette! Looking forward to meeting you and Emiel on our adventure! As DeAnn mentioned, we are trying to set up a meet for Dec 16 so hopefully you can join us too. It will be nice to meet whoever will be in WDW in Dec before the ABD trip next year!

How great that you are combining Disneyland and WDW into one trip! And your pre-trip plans sound great too!

Susan, hope you're having a blast! Very envious of your 12 day trip!

I was wondering too if our ABD group would be on the smaller side -- but I agree that it will be a lot of fun to have a smaller group!

We'll definitely plan something for Dec 16th -- sounds like quite a few of us will be around during that week.

Hello everyone,

Louise & I are from suburbs of St. Louis (Go Cardinals) and first went to WDW in 2002 along with my brother’s family and my father. I have to stay I was stunned on how much I enjoyed this trip. I did not know really what to expect... as it turned out it was all good.

The first time I went down Main Street I had chills running up and down my spine. I kept thinking… hey you’re in your mid-40’s what the heck is this all about… Are you nuts? Well maybe so, but it’s a good nuts.

While watching Fantasmic one of my nieces was yelling to Mickey... "Run Mickey Run" while the dragon was chasing Mickey... what a great memory.

We have been going back most years since. We love the fall & Christmas time feel at WDW.

This will be our first trip to Disneyland and what away to see it... with a bunch of Fantastic fellow Disers and some of the Podcast team:mic:.:thumbsup2

We are leaning towards adding on 1 day prior (probably Renaissance Hollywood Hotel) and 1 day post tour to take in what we may have missed at Disneyland / California Adventure (not sure where). Sort of would like to stay at the Disneyland Resort for one day to get its flavor.

We can't wait to meet you all. We will be on POD2.0 (12/9 - 12/18) and I'm sure we will run into many of you there. DATW, Post MVMCP along with all the Cruise activities.

See you all real soon:wave2:

Mark

Hi Mark and Louise!:wave2: Looking forward to meeting you both! Looks like you will also be at WDW in Dec so maybe you'd also like to join us for a pre-ABD meet on the 16th -- specific details to be discussed!

I visited St. Louis once about 10 years ago. Of course the thing I remember the most is going to the top of the Arch!

The thing I love about Disney is that it does not matter how old you are! I've had many great trips with my nephews and friend's kids along as well as equally enjoyable adult only trips. I love the fall in Disney too -- Food and Wine is probably my favorite time to visit. This will be my first time visiting during the Christmas season!

Looking forward to sharing this wonderful experience with all of you!!:goodvibes

Hello,

We would love to meet each other during PCC2.0 so the 16th sounds right.
Just tell us when and where and we will be there.

And we are for sure doing DATW on the 17th....

Hi all,

The afternoon of the 16th would work for us too:thumbsup2. We need to be over at MK around 4:00PM to meet up with a group for MCMCP.

We are planning on Chefs de France / Candlelight Processional on the 10th with my parents and a few other Disers.

As Yvet mentioned DATW is on the 17th.

We are staying at the Swan pre/post POD2.0.

Let us know when & where and we will make every effort to be there:banana:

Another day closer to both trips:thumbsup2

Mark

Hello,

We would love to meet each other during PCC2.0 so the 16th sounds right.
Just tell us when and where and we will be there.

And we are for sure doing DATW on the 17th....

Hi all,

The afternoon of the 16th would work for us too:thumbsup2. We need to be over at MK around 4:00PM to meet up with a group for MCMCP.

We are planning on Chefs de France / Candlelight Processional on the 10th with my parents and a few other Disers.

As Yvet mentioned DATW is on the 17th.

We are staying at the Swan pre/post POD2.0.

Let us know when & where and we will make every effort to be there:banana:

Another day closer to both trips:thumbsup2

Mark

I won't be on the cruise but I'm sure you will all have loads of fun! I'll be at AKV from 12/11-12/17. Wish I could do DATW but I leave on the 17th. We'll definitely have to get something set up for the 16th. It will be great to meet before our trip next year!:thumbsup2

So has anyone else made any decisions on if they are coming in early before the ABD portion starts and/or staying later. I'm still leaning towards adding 2 night to the end. I haven't booked airfare yet since it seems pretty far away but I guess I should start looking around.

When you arrive a few days early or stay a few days after (and you don't book the extra stay thru ABD) then you need a other way of transportation to and from the airport.

Here is some information about shuttle companies.
It's cheap!!!!

I have used them myself when i was at UCLA and i have used them a few times.
From LAX to UCLA
From DL to LAX to UCLA
http://www.supershuttle.com/Default.aspx

and there is also this one but i never used these.
http://www.primetimeshuttle.com/

I hope this info helps!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter