A Year of Disney (and Universal) Trips- Universal Christmas Photos- updated 12/23

You guys got a lot done in one day! :thumbsup2

It will be interesting to see what they put in the Town Square Theater. I like your idea of an actual theater with cartoons. Be a nice respite from the heat!

So sad for Disney days to be over. :sad1:

You guys got a lot done in one day! :thumbsup2

It will be interesting to see what they put in the Town Square Theater. I like your idea of an actual theater with cartoons. Be a nice respite from the heat!

So sad for Disney days to be over. :sad1:

It would be a fantastic respite from the heat, wouldn't it? I miss the old Main Street Cinema and the Expo Hall after that which were both perfect for a break like that.

The end of a day can be sad, but it's hard to get too sad when I knew there would be at least 2 more trips in the next 6 months. :laughing:

40 years ago today, Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom first opened to guests, so it seems fitting today to reflect on our most recent visit to the “Most Magical Place on Earth”.

Weather:
mayweather.jpg

As to be expected in Florida, the weather was pretty warm. Since it was still early in May, the humidity wasn’t as high as it is later in the summer, so it wasn’t as dreadfully uncomfortable. We also had another rain-free day filled with some of the most beautiful skies I can remember seeing at Disney.

Crowds and Wait Times:
maycrowds2.jpg

While the park certainly wasn’t empty, we didn’t have many issues with crowds. The park neverfelt that busy, and I can’t remember seeing any wait times listed at an hour or more. With exception of a 30 minute wait at Dumbo the Flying Elephant and a 20 minute wait at The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, we never had to wait more than 10 minutes for any attraction. The longest lines of the day turned out to be character meet-and-greets (45 minutes for the Tangled Play-and-Greet at rope drop and 35 minutes for The Princess and the Frog meet-and-greet later in the day). I’m still having trouble wrapping my head around that meet-and-greets are getting so popular that you have to go to some at rope drop to avoid waits of over an hour while E-Tickets like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad are practically walk-ons mid-day. It’s almost like the old fashioned touring plans are being turned upside-down.

Attraction Highlights:
mayattractions.jpg

Even though the Magic Kingdom didn’t have any new attractions this year, there were still a number of new elements at existing attractions for us to discover. Both The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and the Haunted Mansion had new interactive queue which looked wonderful and had a great amount of details and theming. Of the two, Haunted Mansion’s queue was my favorite. For the most part, it had the same wit and sense of storytelling that its attraction does. I did like Pooh’s queue, especially the new entrance and 100 Acre Woods-themed setting, but I’m sure that it would be an even bigger hit with my 4-year-old self than my adult self. Another new addition since out last visit was the new “Starry-O-Phonic” soundtrack at Space Mountain. It’s great to finally have some sort of soundtrack on this ride, and it really improves the entire Space Mountain experience. Also worth noting was my first time seeing the fun Frontierland Hoedown, the unadvertised flash mob show near the Country Bear Jamboree, and revisiting Dumbo the Flying Elephant and the Swiss Family Treehouse, two attractions that we hadn’t experienced for a number of years.

Dining:
maydining2.jpg

Our only meal of the day at the park was at the rarely-opened and recently-renamed Tortuga Tavern in Adventureland. We thought our taco salads were pretty good and a nice break from the normal burgers and nuggets a lot of Disney counter service restaurants offer. The atmosphere was also wonderful with a very classic Disney feel. The only thing I wasn’t thrilled with about the restaurant is its very limited amount of indoor seating, but since it wasn’t too hot, it wasn’t uncomfortable. If it’s open, I’d recommend giving it a try.

Characters:
maycharacters.jpg

Even with some of the lines for the characters were among the longest of the day, I still managed to get photos of 19 meet-and-greet characters. Three of which, Rapunzel and Flynn Rider from Tangled and Angelica from Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, were new character for me. All of them were fun to meet, but unfortunately out of the three, only Rapunzel is still making regular appearances in the park. Beyond the new ones, I didn’t really meet any out-of-the-ordinary characters around for greets (although a bunch of rarely-seen characters like Clarabelle Cow, Brer Rabbit, Brer Bear and the Country Bears were dancing in the aforementioned Frontierland Hoedown), but the ones that were out were still a lot of fun to meet. Of these, some of my favorites of the day included Princess Tiana and Prince Naveen in Liberty Square and, of course, Mickey and Minnie Mouse who gave us a private tour of their great new digs at the Town Square Theater.

Fantasyland Construction:
mayconstruction.jpg

None the new areas of Fantasyland are scheduled to premiere until at least 2012, but getting to see what’s already beginning to pop up on the other side of the construction wall was a nice treat. Of course, the Beast’s Castle that will one day have the Be Our Guest restaurant under it was the portion that looked most finished at this point. It looked amazing, and I can only imagine that it will look phenomenal once the rest of the area around it is completed.

So, was this really our “Best Day (Trip) Ever”? It’s hard to say. Still, as much as I’ve loved all the other day trips we’ve taken lately, this one was my favorite so far. It was a wonderful day in our favorite theme park, and we certainly left with some great memories. I can at least say this my the best day trip so far. Who knows what the future will bring though.

This wraps up another portion of the report. Thank you for reading, and I hope that you all enjoyed it. I’ll be switching gears again and going back to Universal for my first-ever solo visit to Universal Studios. Hopefully part one of that report will be up sometime next week.

What a fabulous day. And the temps looked great. You got some great move it shake it pictures. That can be tricky depending on where the sun is at that time and where you stand.

I always love your trip recaps, they are so nice to read.

I'm looking forward to your Universal solo day trip!

What a fabulous day. And the temps looked great. You got some great move it shake it pictures. That can be tricky depending on where the sun is at that time and where you stand.

It was a great day. It was hot, but not the it's-so-hot-I'm-melting you get especially in July or August. With enough air conditioning and water, the heat wasn't too big of an issue.

I'm glad you liked the Move It! Shake It! pictures. I guess we were standing in the right place at the right time. The lighting was great.

I always love your trip recaps, they are so nice to read.

I'm looking forward to your Universal solo day trip!

Thanks LL. :) Hopefully, I'll have the first chapter for the Universal report ready to be posted by tomorrow.

“Alone in Universal”-June 2011 Day Trip
junetr.jpg

A little over a month after our visit to the Magic Kingdom, I was returning to Orlando. I had enjoyed my first couple of visits to Universal Studios so much that I was anxious to return. This time, however, Buzz was not interested in another trip to Universal, so I decided to go for a solo day trip. This was actually my first time spending an entire day in any Orlando theme park by myself, so it was a new, experience. I hope that you’ll enjoy reading about my day “Alone in Universal”.

I arrived at Universal Orlando a little less than an hour before the park was scheduled to open. Already there was quite a crowd. Even though I knew it would be more crowded in June than when we visited in February or October, I was still a bit worried about the crowds. Once the crowds made it through bag check and into City Walk, I realized I didn’t have to worry after all. As the masses reached the crossroads between Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios, about 80% of the guests marched on to Islands of Adventure. I definitely wouldn’t have wanted to be in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter that day.

usfentrance1-600.jpg

Over at the Studios, things seemed much more peaceful.

usfentrance2-600.jpg

15 minutes before the scheduled opening, they did a little ceremony and opened the park. After a walk through Production Central, my first stop for the day was…

hrrr-600.jpg

The Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket. It had, unfortunately, been closed last October when Buzz and I first visited the park, so it was one of my main priorities of the day. I quickly stowed my stuff in one of the required (but free!) Universal lockers and joined the queue. Since this was a solo trip, I had anticipated being able to use the single rider line on many of the attractions at the park, but since the line wasn’t that long yet, they didn’t have it open. Oh well. The ride itself was great. The shtick with the Rip Ride Rocket is that each seat had its own build in sound system and you get to pick the music that you hear. For my first ride, I went with “Bring Me To Life” by Evanscence, which I thought made a great soundtrack for a roller coaster. The song choices aren’t as synchronized with the ride as the Aerosmith songs at the Rock ‘n’ Rollercoaster, but the definitely give the ride a fun atmosphere. Plus, as a roller coaster, it was great- maybe my favorite of all the coasters at the Studios and Islands of Adventure (with the possible exception of the Hulk). By the time I got off the ride and retrieved my things from the locker, it was only 9am.

newyorkmorning1-600.jpg

Next, I headed to the New York area of the park. There, I spotted the Priscilla Hotel For Single Young Ladies, which was the home of the characters played by Julie Andrews and Mary Tyler Moore in Universal’s movie musical Thoroughly Modern Millie. Obviously, Disney isn’t the only one who hides sometime-obscure references to films in theme parks.

mummy-6003.jpg

My real reason for heading to New York was to ride Revenge of the Mummy. Crowds were ridiculously low at this point (note: the above photo was taken much later in the day since I didn’t manage to rake one in the morning) and even though the single rider line was open, it wasn’t needed. The line was a complete walk-on, and the coaster train I rode in had a grand total of four guests in it. The ride was fun. It really has some really impressive show scenes, some good roller coaster segments and a bit of humor thrown in for good measure.

newyorkmorning2-600.jpg

Outside, New York still looked deserted. Where were all the crowds?

newyorkmorning3-600.jpg

I love the theming of the New York Streets. It’s much more early 20th century than Disney’s more contemporary New York as opposed to the more modern feel at Disney’s Hollywoood Studios.

simpsonsride1-600.jpg

While the crowds were still low, I wanted to see as many of the parks headliners as possible, so I made my way to one of my favorite rides in the park- The Simpsons Ride.

simpsonsride2-600.jpg

The line wasn’t long at all, but I had just enough time to see Doc Brown in Simpson form make his cameo in the pre-show movie. Originally, the Simpsons building was home to the Back to the Future Ride, and the pre-show explains how Doc’s old institute became Krusty the Klown’s Krustyland theme park. Of course, as both a Simpsons fan and a theme park fan, I enjoyed the ride. It has plenty of jabs at theme parks in general along with some of Orlando’s other parks along with fun cameos from many of Springfield’s most colorful characters. It’s definitely a must-see.

mibshop-6003.jpg

Next, I headed off to Men in Black Alien Attack. The architecture is great here, but for some reason the only photo around MIB I took on this trip was the gift shop sign. I’ll have to remember to take more on our next trip. Like everything else so far, the wait was minimal, and the ride was enjoyable. For those unfamiliar with Universal, this ride has a game play element similar to Toy Story Mania or Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, but the ride itself is a lot more elaborate than either of them. It's a great ride, even if (like me) you're only moderatly good at best at racking up points.

simpsonsride3-600.jpg

By now, it was almost 10am, so I decided to hang around the Simpsons area to see if any characters would pop up by near the Kwik-E-Mart like they did when we were there in October. While I waited, I took some photos around the area.

simpsonsride4-600.jpg

simpsonsride5-600.jpg

Oh, Bart, will you ever stay out of trouble?

simpsonsride6-600.jpg

If you ever visit Universal and hear this phone outside the Kwik-E-Mart ring, be sure to answer it. When I did, I got a bizarre non sequitur from Ralph Wiggum followed by a prank call from Bart.

simpsonsride7-600.jpg

I took a peek inside the Kwik-E-Mart.

simpsonsride8-600.jpg

jaws1-600.jpg

Since no Simpsons character ever came out, I decided to head on to Amity and go on my favorite ride in the park, Jaws. When I got there, he was already causing terror by devouring an entire photo booth, or at least that’s what it looks like in this unintentional silly picture.

jaws5-600.jpg

The wait was less than 5 minutes here as well. In no time, I was boarding a boat for a tour of Amity Harbor.

jaws3-600.jpg

The set pieces and themeing of this ride really is wonderful, especially the town at the beginning of the ride. Of course, once you’re past that, the shark itself and all the special effects are the star of the show. It’s a little silly at times, but it’s a whole lot of fun.

jaws4-600.jpg

Outside the ride, there are some props from Jaws movies.

disaster-6002.jpg

After Jaws, I made the short trip from Amity to San Francisco to try Disaster: A Major Motion Picture Ride Staring You, another attraction that Buzz and I missed when we went in October. I lucked out by getting to walk right into the pre-show just before the cut-off. As for the attraction itself, I suppose you could best compare it to the Backlot Tour at Hollywood Studios. There are some special effects demonstrations with audience participation and a finale of you riding a tram-like vehicle through an earthquake scene. Still, in a whole, I think Disaster is more fun and entertaining than what Disney’s Backlot Tour had become. The astonishing scene in which a live performer, through some sort of special effect I can’t quite figure out, appears to be on stage and interacting with a director character played by Christopher Walken was alone worth a visit to the attraction. And, of course, the actual ride through the earthquake is fantastic as well.

simpsonslagoon-6002.jpg

It was not even 11am, and I had already gotten through 6 of the park’s headliner attractions and practically my entire “must-see” list for the day. Getting there at rope drop and doing the attractions in the order I did really worked out since, especially in the second hour, I seemed to be one step ahead of the crowds (not to mention the large tour groups). By now though, I was ready to switch out of commando mode and enjoy the park at a more leisurely pace.

Next chapter: Meeting some of Universal's stars

Wow I can't believe how much you got to see that morning! :thumbsup2

It sounds like your day is off to a wonderful start! You really know your movie trivia! I never would have known the "Priscilla Hotel".

Wow I can't believe how much you got to see that morning! :thumbsup2

It sounds like your day is off to a wonderful start! You really know your movie trivia! I never would have known the "Priscilla Hotel".

I was really surprise how quickly I was able to see all of those attractions. I was sure that I was going to be battling the crowds all day to see that much.

A few months before the trip, I had just seen Thoroughly Modern Millie for the first time, so the name was still in my head when I went to Universal. Later, I went back to watch a bit of the movie to make sure I was remembering correctly. It was a fun discovery to make.

There are two major reasons I want to go to Univeral...The Simpsons Ride and Harry Potter. Your pictures and reports are making me want to go even more. :goodvibes

You had great luck with crowds, you had gotten a lot done in a very short amount of time!

There are two major reasons I want to go to Univeral...The Simpsons Ride and Harry Potter. Your pictures and reports are making me want to go even more. :goodvibes

You had great luck with crowds, you had gotten a lot done in a very short amount of time!

I hope that someday you finally get to go back to Universal. I think you'd really love the Simpsons and Harry Potter areas.

Your pictures really make me want to give Universal another try. Crowds really can change your experience. Your trip looks lovely!

Your pictures really make me want to give Universal another try. Crowds really can change your experience. Your trip looks lovely!

It really was great. I was shocked at how the crowd levels never felt too bad since it was the middle of June. I'm sure if you came back to Universal at just about any time except Christmas week or other similarly busy days that you would enjoy it a lot more.

Having already ridden all six of my “must-see” rides in the first two hours, I decided to take the time meeting some of the many characters that appear around the Studios. The first performance of the Star Toons Summer Jamz character show/ meet-and-greet was scheduled to begin in a few minutes, so I headed off to Woody Woodpecker’s Kidzone to catch it.

kidzone2-600.jpg

While I waited for show time, I decided to get some air conditioning and look through the Cartoon Store.

kidzone1-600.jpg

Outside, a number of Woody Woodpeckers decorate the area.

summerjam1-600.jpg

When the Star Toons appeared, they gathered onstage for a brief song and dance. Yes, it’s incredibly cheesy, but it’s kind of fun to see all the characters dancing around in their special costumes. Scooby-Doo really shocked the crowd by doing a split during his routine.

summerjam2-600.jpg

I’m not exactly sure what’s going on here, but it looks like Winnie Woodpecker is flirting with the Man in the Yellow Hat.

summerjam3-600.jpg

In the end, Winnie’s heart belongs to Woody.

summerjam4-600.jpg

After the show, the characters all came out for a meet-and-greet. Woody and Winnie got creative with their poses. I think either he’s about to carry her away or they’re trying out for the Toontown edition of Dancing with the Stars.

summerjam5-600.jpg

Curious George was being very well behaved with the Man in the Yellow Hat nearby.

summerjam6-600.jpg

Last but definitely not least was Scooby-Doo and Shaggy in their beachwear. If you intend to visit the characters here, I’d recommend getting in line for these two right after the show. Since they are the most popular characters of the group and both are very interactive with visitors, their line was longest and slowest. Still, even though I went to see them last, I only waited 5 minutes. It was a fairly long wait as far as Universal meet-and-greets are concerned, but, compared to the meets at Disney, it wasn’t bad at all.

madagascarmorning-600.jpg

Next, I headed off towards Hollywood and found Alex the lion and some of the Penguins of Madagascar. The penguin on the right (Rico, I believe) was not out with the group when I met them the first time, so it was cool to be able to see a “new” penguin this time around.

hollywoodcharacters1-600.jpg

After the Madagascar meet-and-greet, I spotted the Toon Trolley coming down the street with none other than Bullwinkle J. Moose onboard. Rocky and Bullwinke was one of my favorite cartoons growing up, and I was hoping to someday find any of those characters at Universal. Unfortunately, the Trolley characters were done with their set and heading backstage. Figuring that they would be back out eventually, I decided to spend some time exploring Hollywood and the Production Central until they did.

hollywoodcharacters2-600.jpg

A little farther down the street, Betty Boop was greeting fans. I was a bit surprised to see her out since I didn’t think she usually made appearances outside of Toon Lagoon at Islands of Adventure.

hollywoodcharacters3-600.jpg

Dora the Explorer was standing over by the Studios Store. I hadn’t met her on any previous trips, so I got her photo and autograph (stamp) this time around.

lucyband-6002.jpg

One of the best things about visiting Universal Studios at a busier time of year is all the extra entertainment, especially the acts around Hollywood Boulevard. These guys played a lot of classic TV theme songs like “I Love Lucy” and “I Dream of Jeannie”, but they really had the crowd going when they got audience members to rap the “Fresh Prince” theme along with them.

gingy-800.jpg

After not really enjoying Shrek 4-D when we did it last year, I had no desire to try it again. I did take this picture as I passed by though.

monstercafe1-600.jpg

After seeing some cool photos of the usually-closed Classic Monster Café online, I was hoping it would be open for the more crowded summer season. Fortunately, it was so I decided look around. It’s sort of a mini-Planet Hollywood with props from Universal monster movies decorating a number of themed dining rooms. Among the props was this mask from The Phantom of the Opera.

monstercafe2-600.jpg

Does this address look familiar to anyone? 1313 Mockingbird Lane was the home to Herman, Lilly and the rest of the Munsters.

monstercafe3-600.jpg

The Frankenstein mansion appears to have received a bit of redecorating sometime during the pop art craze.

hollywoodcharacters4-600.jpg

After exploring the Monster Café, I spotted Back to the Future’s Doc Brown hanging around his time traveling DeLorean and got a photo of him with his most famous invention.

hop1-600.jpg

Nearby, a small crowd was beginning to gather for the first appearance of the day for the characters from Universal’s Easter-themed comedy Hop. I never saw this movie in the theaters since it looked so terrible from the trailers (after all, if rabbits pooping jelly beans was the best material they had to put in the trailer, it couldn’t have been that good). Still, the theme park characters were fun to see, but nothing convinced me to actually see the movie. After a brief song-and-dance to “I Want Candy”, they came down to do some meet-and-greets.

hop2-600.jpg

Carlos the chick is apparently the villain of the film, which might explain why few people seemed interested in seeing him. He is a little nasty-looking.

hop4-600.jpg

The star of the film is E.B., the Easter-Bunny-to-be.

hop3-600.jpg

Another chick, Phil, seemed much friendlier than Carlos.

hop5-600.jpg

Roaming the area were the Pink Berets who, I suppose, are the Easter Bunny’s Special Forces.

hop6-600.jpg

For a movie (particularly a movie so linked with a particular season) that came and went without a whole lot of fanfare, it was interesting to see so many characters from a single release all out together like this. It’s definitely something that I haven’t seen in any of the Disney parks in a long time, even for their biggest releases. These days, you’re lucky if Disney has one or two characters from a recent film. After getting pictures of all the character, I headed back to Hollywood to see if the Toon Trolley characters were back yet.

Next chapter: I still love Lucy

Great character pictures! You really saw a lot of them. Doc Brown really looks like Christopher Lloyd, I had to look at the picture twice because at first I thought it really was him. :rotfl:

You always have the best luck finding the characters :)

I never saw Hop but those pink beret bunnies sure are cute!

Fun update :)

Great character pictures! You really saw a lot of them. Doc Brown really looks like Christopher Lloyd, I had to look at the picture twice because at first I thought it really was him. :rotfl:

Doc was quite convincing. All of the face characters/ celebrity impersonators at Universal are really wonderful.

You always have the best luck finding the characters :)

I never saw Hop but those pink beret bunnies sure are cute!

Fun update :)

I thought all the bunnies from Hop were pretty cute. I'm not too sure about those chicks though. :laughing:

I loved Disaster the many years ago that i rode it. I loved the smi that cam slamiing down at you. Freaked my kids right out...ok maybe me too. :rolleyes1

I was going to say that Doc Brown looked really "real" as well. That is my all time favorite movie series. I loved the Back to the Future ride many years ago. I was sad to hear it was gone, but I'm sure the Simpsons is great as well.

I loved Disaster the many years ago that i rode it. I loved the smi that cam slamiing down at you. Freaked my kids right out...ok maybe me too. :rolleyes1

I was going to say that Doc Brown looked really "real" as well. That is my all time favorite movie series. I loved the Back to the Future ride many years ago. I was sad to hear it was gone, but I'm sure the Simpsons is great as well.

Disaster really exceeded my expectations. I thought it was so well done and a lot of fun.

Buzz and I are back from our latest Disney day trip. We had a wonderful time at EPCOT and enjoyed our International Food and Wine Festival. Here’s a look at some of the photos and a few points of interest from the day:

octobertr2.jpg

• Our first time seeing Captain EO
  • Kim Possible Missions in the United Kingdom and Mexico
  • Snacking our way around World Showcase at our first International Food and Wine Festival

This will likely be our last Disney trip of the year. It seems so strange not to be going there for Christmas, but I’m sure Christmas at Universal will be fun though- and definitely something new and different for us. I’ve added a little bit about our first Universal vacation in the post on the front page, and as we get closer to December, I’ll probably be posting more about the planning.

As far as the October day trip, it will a while before I get to the report (after all, I still have to finish June and then get through July, August, and September first), but I hope that it will be worth the wait. I know we enjoyed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter