A Week by the Lake (Addendum added 7/19----page 43...........)

Horsey,
My DH has wanted to visit Maine for years now and I've never been to gung-ho about it because he wants to drive (and I dis-like long car trips) and he wants to eat tons of lobster (I don't do lobster). We sat down together and looked at your pictures today. I do believe you might have changed my mind. :)
I grew up 5 minutes from a huge lake and we often went out on the 4th to watch fireworks from a boat. It is such a blast.
What a sweet family and what a sweet and beautiful vacation. Thank you for sharing it with us and since there is enough room for 16 and you only have 10, we'll be joining you next year! (party of 4) :teeth:

Ashclan and Frickles...what a compliment that this lil' trippie might sway you to come north. You know how to find me if you need more info.... :teeth:

Truly, the best time to go is late July, August, or early September....The lake was a little too chilly this early in July...Especially for you Georgia peaches, Frick....

And JVL1018, Oh do I know about the amazing shrinking thing when returning to childhood stomping grounds....I really, really do.

Horsey, thank you. Loved it! Your kids are beautiful, but you knew that, didn't you?! (Love Jack's haircut, btw!) :teeth:

When I was a teenager, I read a book about a camp in Maine... you know, all the counselors falling in and out of love. I've wanted to visit ever since. But, as you said... us GA Peaches and our delicate southern skin... I don't actually have to get IN the water, do I?? :smooth:

Rhonda! Thanks. You could swim in August baby, but pick a lake a little further south. Rangeley is big, and deep and cold! Never gets much above 70 or 72. BTW, I only went in once this trip. It hovered around 64. Even too cold for this artic dweller....so no, you don't have to go in. But I have to tell you, going swimming in the lake, sans suit, is really something very special.... :teeth:

I loved those campy romancy books too, even like Trixie Beldon and Nancy Drew did the summer camp romancy thing...

So sorry to hear about little Wes' rash. :scared1: Eeek!

Lovely trip report and everyone looks so happy (at least prior to dunking the camera)

makes me happy we live near a lake!!

My sweet littlehorseyponybabygirl -

Your report was . . .mesmerizing. I read it and felt the lake breezes, heard the loons, saw the kids jumping in and out of the lake and hunched down, as only kids can hunch down, over a small pool with tadpoles in it. In short, I loved it. Your trip sounds beautiful, as does the lake, the cabin, the mountains, and your family.

So sorry about Grammy J and the nasty bugs. What a hassle.

My parents at one point thought about buying a lodge in Maine. I remember that they left us kids behind (I was very young) and drove up to Maine to check the place out. For whatever reason, they decided not to. It was after that trip that my dad went to Veterinary College. I reflect on the different path my life could have taken based on the actions of my parents. Would I still work in the same field if I had grown up in Maine, rather than as a child of the armed services? I would certainly have gone to a different college, married a different man, had different children. It all seems so strange to think about.

I think I need to add Maine to my list of places I would like to visit someday. It's a very long list at this point, and just keeps growing!

Welcome home horsegirl . . .you were missed!

Amy

Sweet Horsey -

I went to bed a couple of hours ago. After watching a few DVD episodes of Lost. Obviously that show got into my head and caused a most disturbing nightmare. I awoke with that horrible, fearful feeling and thought about what I could do to get my mind back to a happy place. So I came to the computer and read your report. And my mind is definitely back to a happy place.

What a beautiful report. Your vacation sounds wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. We too enjoyed fireworks over the lake on July 4th (not 3rd :) ). And while we might have had a few more rednecks than "Maniacs", it was a community feeling all the same. Boats of all types, families enjoying one another, firework "preshows" all around the lake, music, just all around good times. A true celebration of our country and the freedom we enjoy here.

Thanks again for the lovely report. Your writing is good reading. :sunny:

offwegotoneverland. Can I go to? I really, really want to escape and not grow up. Thank you... :teeth:

GeorgiaAristocat. Your post was charming. Your thoughts are ones I have had so many times. What if somehow a different turn had been taken in life. Where would I be, how would my life be different. I had forgotten your dad was a vet. He is my hero....Put Maine on your list. Not only are there lots of wonderful lakes, but there is a good friend here, who wants to see you. And believe it or not, Atlanta is on my list of places I want to go.....

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply Liamaunt... :wave:

NicoleMarie. I so understand the not being able to sleep thing. I am truly flattered that you wandered to my short story to try to put your mind at ease....Thank you so very much for your kind words...and insightful thoughts.

I hadn't really thought about all the neat anectodes that this would ellicit from others. I truly have enjoyed all the replies....keep them coming.

when we go to Reid State Park and the surf temp is usually in the 50s.....then I know when my legs go numb it is for a reason.....that is always so darn cold......Moosehead lake is another cold temp lake though...

Wow horsegirl - you are truly amazing!! What a gift of writing you have. My imagination was wrapped around the wonderful week you had in Maine. It was as if I was there. I felt bad for Grammys allergic reaction and felt the breeze and water spray as the kids tubed behind the boat!

Thank you for giving me the sense of reality. I live on a beautiful lake here in Vermont. With life passing me by everyday you tend to forget the true things that matter. Reading your thread is what life is like for me.

Funny thing is that we were in Maine last week as well. However we were in Southern Maine visiting the ocean since we live on the lake. :) After a week of running around to the beach, hotel pool, shopping, eating tons of seafood my DH and I returned home to say "we should have just stayed home and enjoyed the lake" :rotfl:

I would love more info. on where you stayed. Can anyone rent the cabin you were in? If so, please post or PM me the info.

Thanks again, wonderful thread!!!

As beautiful as the photos were, they did not come close to your words...what a talent you have!
I've never had a lake vacation, but now I feel as if I had...... thanks for bringing me a smile this morning :sunny:

WOW! What an awesome report. Thanks for the "Calgon" moment.

perdidobay said:
As beautiful as the photos were, they did not come close to your words...what a talent you have!
I've never had a lake vacation, but now I feel as if I had...... thanks for bringing me a smile this morning :sunny:

Gosh, thank you perdidobay. I am honored by the compliments...
You should go to a lake one day. It is truly special....

Pumba, you are a real mainiac. Water in the 50s does not touch my toes....I am a transplant after all, and therein lies the difference...no numbing for this gal... :teeth:

Holy Mackeral!, Holy Cow! Thank you!

Credit Man, I too like Calgon to take me away...I just joined a fabulous spa near me, and the pool, whirlpool, suana and steam room after I work my buns, is as close to "getting away from it all' as it gets! So if there isn't a lake near you, do you have a great spa! I go in the evenings, work off dinner, and sweat instead of eat chips at home. I am all warm and fuzzy and relaxed when I get home...highly recommend it!

Trish Bessette- I again appreciate the kind words! I do love the maine coast, but darn that cold water! I love Vermont. Zoning got implemented there properly when all those out of staters moved up in the 70s! I will try to find out the info. My MIL does have the woman's email...there are not many weeks available. But I will try to locate it and pm you.

Thanks Horsegirl!

Just bumping this so everyone can have a change to read this wonderful trip report!

Horsegirl, Wow this TR blew me away and brought back so many memories. My grandparents live in Northern , MN, They used to own a lodge and cabins on a lake ( sold it when the kids all got married and moved away) We only got to see them every few years as we were always overseas but what time we spent with them was amazing swimming, fishing, canoeing. One of my favorite things to do was to lay on the dock with my eyes closed listening to the loons, their haunting call always gets me to my soul ( my husband thinks I am nuts cause I like to listen to them on cd :rotfl: ) 2 years ago while DH was on a med cruise, my dad and I drove up there with my children and it was a great experience, they had a great time and I got to hear my loons again, seeing the sun set and rise each day over the lake just made everything better. Thank you for you wonderful description that helped evoke so many memories. You truly have a gift. :wizard:

Wickedmom75 said:
Horsegirl, Wow this TR blew me away and brought back so many memories. My grandparents live in Northern , MN, They used to own a lodge and cabins on a lake ( sold it when the kids all got married and moved away) We only got to see them every few years as we were always overseas but what time we spent with them was amazing swimming, fishing, canoeing. One of my favorite things to do was to lay on the dock with my eyes closed listening to the loons, their haunting call always gets me to my soul ( my husband thinks I am nuts cause I like to listen to them on cd :rotfl: ) 2 years ago while DH was on a med cruise, my dad and I drove up there with my children and it was a great experience, they had a great time and I got to hear my loons again, seeing the sun set and rise each day over the lake just made everything better. Thank you for you wonderful description that helped evoke so many memories. You truly have a gift. :wizard:

Wickedmom! First of all after this post there is no way you are wicked or 42% evil! Thanks for reading! How did you find this? It appears the northern lakes are very similar to the Maine lake region, but a whole lot bigger. Okay, I have a loon cd too! My DH is a rather mellow chap....he bought it! It is the most hypnotic and mesmerizing sound, isn't it?

I am so glad you enjoyed this little report...I took your test some time ago and was 14% evil. I may go take it again. Bye! :yay:

Wickedmom75 said:
how did you find this?
Someone on your trip report thread mentioned this TR so I looked for it , and it was worth the search :Pinkbounc

Really? That is so sweet. I had put a link in my siggie for a day or two, but took it down. Guess I will put it back up. Gosh, that is such a compliment. Thanks NotWickedMom... :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!