A very humble request for some pixie dust....

First off... :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

I was in the same situation... I had dated my bf back in college and all while he went thorough law school. We were at a place in our lives where things were going to change and I wondered how I was going to fit into his life from then on. I found out I didn't.

I made the mistake of grieving for this relationship for years beyond I should have. It took someone coming into my life who treated me with the respect and love to help me grow into the woman I am. It took time... but I am much better off for it.

Take the time to grieve. Take some time for yourself. It's ok not to date for a while (but don't give up on the idea entirely or let the wrong person into your life just to have someone there. )

You need time to heal and the key is time...

(and btw... going to WDW alone is a pretty cool thing. Love it!!! Do things YOU'VE always wanted to do... (I suggest the Spa at the GF...)

Sorry to hear of your loss, for that's what this is. I know it sounds trite, but I have always found (with 20/20 hind sight) that then hardest, most painful experiences alwaysbring the happiest, or most rewarding changes in life. Prayers and pixie dust coming your way!

I don't know what your musical tastes are, but I found that Mandy Moore's "Wild Hope" CD was really therapeutic for me, especially "Looking Forward to Looking Back", "Extraordinary" and "Nothing That You Are"....

I also particularly found lots of help in a little book called "How to Survive the Loss of a Love" by Peter McWilliams, Harold H. Bloomfield and Melba Colgrove. It's got good advice and ideas and information in little bits when you can't quite tolerate reading bigger things...

Miss Cathie,

Sorry to hear about HIS loss! I'm in Denver if you would ever like to get out and relax, have lunch, shop, whatever makes you smile! We definitely know we have something in common! ;)

First :grouphug:pixiedust:

I'll share my story too. I met my ex bf right before I graduated from hs and dated him all thru college and into grad school. There were definitely things I missed doing in college because I spent so much of my energy/focus on him. But I didn't see that until later. While in grad school, I was sure we were headed towards getting engaged. He came to ny from fl for 2 family weddings and I was sure it would happen then - instead he dumped me. I was really devastated but started doing all the things I didn't bother with when I was with him - and I had fun! Later I found out he had started dating my best friend, and shed been keeping it from me the whole time, so in the end I lost my bf of 4+ years and may best friend of 2 years. It was really hard but I focused on me(finishing grad school and starting a new life) and now I really am so glad I didn't end up with him and just sorry I lost so much time with him!

In the end you will be better off. Don't rush yourself thru the hurt and anger, but don't let yourself get lost in it either. Maybe plan a trip like disapalooza? Plan something for you a ways out and use that as a positive to look forward to when things feel dark!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:Many hugs to you. 8 years is a huge amount of your life. Grieve in any way that works for you, but please don't make any major decisions until you have a few months to think about your life.
Wishing you the very best as you work through this difficult time.

First of all.....thank you THANK YOU THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for everyone's comfort and support. It means more to me than you can possibly understand. I haven't really been a part of this community for quite a while, I sort of morphed back into a lurker, but to have so much support from all of you....honestly....it brought tears to my eyes. There have been so many people in my life pushing me to do one thing or another, go in one direction or another, so many people that think I need to just "let myself be happy" and "get over it" but it was so nice that so many people here understand-I am grieving. It truly feels like someone has died. My best friend is gone. And my home is gone. And because my parents have a not-very-nice-to-kitties-dog, my cats, my furbabies, my children are at the apartment with him until I find something else. I really am in mourning. No one in my life seems to understand that, so it means SO much to me that all of you do.

I have talked to him a little since it happened, and explained to him that you don't just give up and walk out on 8 years, you keep at it, because relationships will ALWAYS have problems and will never be "fixed", they will always have something teaching you to be a better person and mate. He said he is a little willing to work on it, but he doesn't want me to get my hopes up.....and I'm not. I really don't think anything is going to come out of it...not if he's not willing to have faith that things can be changed. I am going to the apartment this evening for the weekend so I can see my furbabies, and I guess we are going to talk.....but I am really dreading it. I may tell him to stay somewhere else for the weekend so I can see my kids but not him. This week has really been very emotional for me, it's really started to sink it just what has happened and how drastically my life is going to change.

Anyway...I am blubbering again :) If anyone wants to add me on facebook, please feel free, I am on the list of disers on facebook, or you can find me by name, Cathie Buschman

Again....thank you sooooooooooo much for your comfort and support :):):) :grouphug:

I like this quote from Elmer Laydon - it applies to a lot of things in life:

There are times that it's hard to see past this very moment. so take it one moment at a time: ask God for the next moment, then the next hour, then the next day...before you know it you will be beyond the storm.

As others have said, let yourself mourn the loss of the relationship and be kind to yourself - you need time to adjust to the "new normal".

I like this alot too...because that's really what I'm having to do...sometimes it seems impossible to get through the day...so I focus on each moment as I can...

Sending lots of pixie dust and positive thoughts your way!
This is, of course, a very difficult time for you. I'm glad you've reached out here for some support. I think this would be a good time for a new hobby or getting back to one you've neglected for a while. Maybe cooking, dance class, crafts...
As for Disney, maybe this is the year you go to Disneyland? I wasn't sure I would like a solo trip, but I did one last year, and it was a really different and positive experience.
HUGS!

I have started doing a few things, I am taking a belly dancing class, and am thinking about buying a house on my own...that's going to take a while though, because I'm not really ready to think about leaving our home together.

Dear Cathie,

When I first started reading your post, I thought this would be another request for PD due to a medical scare. As I continued reading, I honestly felt as if I wrote this, and we were sitting here a year ago. I am stunned at the similarities.

Just over a year ago, my boyfriend/future fiance of eight years left me for another woman. It was sudden and totally unexpected. Looking back, I guess there were a few signs. It took me quite a bit of time to come to grips with what happened. I am still processing things, but have moved forward and in the right direction.

Last summer, I decided that it was absolutely necessary to visit WDW even though this was a place we would frequently visit together. It was a celebration of who I was and who I was to become and so needed. I think you should go if you are able to.

I also want to pass along two books that I wish I had early after our break-up. I think they might be insightful to you:

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (the book is so much better than the movie)
Peace from Broken Pieces by Iyanla Vanzant

Remember that you are not alone. This will be difficult, and you will cry. However, with support and love from your friends you will get through it. I'm still adjusting. Sometimes I dream of the future I planned out for me just with another man. Other times I think it's hopeless. I am sure you will experience similar moments. You may adjust quicker or slower than I did, but know that you can move on and life is so good. :grouphug:

If you need an ear, let me know. My PM box isn't working, but I am on FB and friends with many DISers.

Nikki-thank you so so so much. It is amazing that there are so many similarities....and I admire you for your strength to share with me what you've gone through. Right now....I'm mostly going through the hopeless stage. There are small glimmers here and there, but everything is still pretty dark.

Miss Cathie,

Sorry to hear about HIS loss! I'm in Denver if you would ever like to get out and relax, have lunch, shop, whatever makes you smile! We definitely know we have something in common! ;)

That would be wonderful! I'll PM you and maybe we can set something up :)

First :grouphug:pixiedust:

I'll share my story too. I met my ex bf right before I graduated from hs and dated him all thru college and into grad school. There were definitely things I missed doing in college because I spent so much of my energy/focus on him. But I didn't see that until later. While in grad school, I was sure we were headed towards getting engaged. He came to ny from fl for 2 family weddings and I was sure it would happen then - instead he dumped me. I was really devastated but started doing all the things I didn't bother with when I was with him - and I had fun! Later I found out he had started dating my best friend, and shed been keeping it from me the whole time, so in the end I lost my bf of 4+ years and may best friend of 2 years. It was really hard but I focused on me(finishing grad school and starting a new life) and now I really am so glad I didn't end up with him and just sorry I lost so much time with him!

In the end you will be better off. Don't rush yourself thru the hurt and anger, but don't let yourself get lost in it either. Maybe plan a trip like disapalooza? Plan something for you a ways out and use that as a positive to look forward to when things feel dark!

I think that part of what frustrates me is that I DID do so many things in my life differently because I planned on he and I being together forever, getting married, doing all the the things together that we planned....I finally went back to college a couple of years ago because I wanted an art degree, but the reason I didn't go right after high school was because I was too wrapped up in him...now I'll be well over 30 before I graduate from college. It's very frustrating...but I guess if everything happens for a reason, maybe there is a reason I am going to college now instead of then.

Miss Cathie,

I was going to say the same exact thing! I am in Arvada and would love to get together with both of you to help spread some Pixie Dust into Cathie's life! :lovestruc I just sent you a friend request on FB.

I don't know you at all but I say drop him like a bad habit which it sounds like he was! I know I don't know the whole story but from the pieces you include like how you did things differently and that it is how your life will change (not necessarily life without HIM) makes me think you just need to ride out the storm. I know you had to love him but I think you'll be better off without him after you find an apartment and get your cats back. The advice I came to leave after reading the first post is to go to the meet in December which includes Universal if that's where you want to go. You would have some time alone but would be part of a group too. If I had the money and time I'd go on an ABD trip with the team - Paris if you can save your money! It would also give you something to look forward to and plan for. :) Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter