A vegetarian and Pescetarian do WDW dining-updated 2/15-1900 Park Fare

I went back to POFQ and had dinner there, which was a pizza and beignets. I don’t think Disney pizza is as bad as everyone says (and unlike my pizza at POR last year, it was sliced well); however, my mom pointed out later in the week that they used to have slices, which would seem to me to be easier and more economical.
wdwdec07109.jpg

Just to let you know, Boma is not open for lunch, but unfortunately, only for breakfast and dinner. We're trying Tusker House for breakfast, but I sure am hoping for a chance to try the lunch buffet too!

Just to let you know, Boma is not open for lunch, but unfortunately, only for breakfast and dinner. We're trying Tusker House for breakfast, but I sure am hoping for a chance to try the lunch buffet too!

Yepp, hence my Mara plans. :)

wdwdec07094.jpg

Food itself. Chris said the samosas were a favorite among the staff. I thought they were good (I’m a big samosa fan) but nothing you couldn’t get at your local Indian restaurant, imo. The tandoori tofu was excellent-perfectly prepared and tasty. The couscous was good, better than the salad couscous, but the vegetables in it were slightly cold. The pearl couscous was ok, but slightly slimy.

Yea, that's Israeli couscous, it is more "slimy" when cooked. Not quite oatmeal or risotto but it's not well defined and "dry" like rice or pasta.

(I love it though! :goodvibes )

Oh! I thought you were talking about lunch for Boma! Waaaaait a second there...... Mara has FALAFEL?!? :woohoo: Yummmm...
So says All Ears. :)
Yea, that's Israeli couscous, it is more "slimy" when cooked. Not quite oatmeal or risotto but it's not well defined and "dry" like rice or pasta.

(I love it though! :goodvibes )

Hmm...this seemed slimier than the stuff I made for myself, or from Whole Foods, but maybe I'm just wrong.

Oh, Tonga Toast. How I have heard your virtues since..hmm...I think it was listed in my guidebook I read when I saw nine. However, breakfast ADR's are not my bag if characters are not involved. So I was thrilled to read in AG Princess' TR that Tonga Toast could be beheld at the Poly's CS. I found it there for a mere $5.09 sans meat (at Kona it's $10.99 with meat, I don;t know what it is without meat). It was as good as it was reputed to be-crispy, tasty, and flavorful.

wdwdec07119.jpg

I can verify that the Mara has Falafel! It's a pita sandwich, and I was very tasty. It was also so large that I couldn't finish it. Very nice change of pace from burgers and chicken tenders!

I got to Tusker House a little before my 11:55 ADR. There were some drummers playing while I was waiting. There was this little girl in those sparkly mouse ears who was just dancing her little heart out-it was adorable. When my buzzer went off, I went up to see a guy throwing a fit that he had to wait for his ADR.

Before I get to my play-by-play, review, I’d like to summarize my thoughts. I liked Tusker House for lunch, I liked it a lot, in fact. However, I don’t think I’ll ever eat there again. It’s too pricey for lunch, imo, especially when for $5 more you can have Boma in its entire splendor. But I did like it, a lot. It might be better than Boma for some crowds, as it has more "normal" food-like roast chicken and potatoes. It also has a make your own pbj bar, which might help keep your wee ones occupied while you eat. However, I’m thinking next time for lunch I may actually bus myself over to AKL and have a falafel sandwich and zebra domes.

First, thanks SO much for the reviews. I'm headed out to WDW in just a few days and you're really building my anticipation. I also appreciate all your tips, particularly about Tusker House as I was considering lunch there. The pbj bar sounds like quite a bit of fun, too.

Your review also mentions zebra domes, so I'd like to pass along a bit of additional info to other vegetarians out there. Depending on how strict a vegetarian you are, you may not want to eat them. I believe one of the ingredients in a zebra dome is gelatin, which isn't vegetarian of course. (Too bad for me, because they sound tasty. And double too bad for me, because that means I can't eat the decadent s'mores at Prime Time because of the marshmallows. :sad1:)

First, thanks SO much for the reviews. I'm headed out to WDW in just a few days and you're really building my anticipation. I also appreciate all your tips, particularly about Tusker House as I was considering lunch there. The pbj bar sounds like quite a bit of fun, too.

Your review also mentions zebra domes, so I'd like to pass along a bit of additional info to other vegetarians out there. Depending on how strict a vegetarian you are, you may not want to eat them. I believe one of the ingredients in a zebra dome is gelatin, which isn't vegetarian of course. (Too bad for me, because they sound tasty. And double too bad for me, because that means I can't eat the decadent s'mores at Prime Time because of the marshmallows. :sad1:)

I'm confused about zebra domes, honestly. The All Ears recipe lists gelatin, but it wasn't mentioned as a warning in the Vegetarian guidebook that I recall. Ergo, I thought it might be just one of things that comes up when making them at home. IDK. :confused3 :confused3

Just subscribing because my sister's a picky vegetarian, and this thread is really inspiring me. Nice pics and info! :thumbsup2

I'm not a vegetarian, but I am thoroughly enjoying your report. Sometimes its nice to try something different and you are definitely opening my eyes to all the choices that Disney offers. ;)

I'm confused about zebra domes, honestly. The All Ears recipe lists gelatin, but it wasn't mentioned as a warning in the Vegetarian guidebook that I recall. Ergo, I thought it might be just one of things that comes up when making them at home. IDK. :confused3 :confused3

I'm going to be at Boma this Friday, pre-marathon. I'll ask and see what folks say. Cross your fingers for me, because I'd certainly love to give them a try!!!

Great reviews! I like vegetarian food a lot. I'm not currently a vegetarian, but I was in 2005 on our 1st "grown-up" trip to WDW, so I understand the challenge of not subsisting solely on veggie burgers for a week straight. Surprisingly, a veggiesaurus can eat pretty well at WDW.

I had the Vegetarian Platter. (Shocker, I know). My notes don't indicate I *dislike* it, but I don't find myself drifting off about it like I do, say, Tonga Toast.
Couscous, lentil salad, hummous, and Olive salad. And a roll. The couscous was good, both fresh and flavorful. The lentil salad was a bust. It was lentils plus mayonnaise. Bleh. Not good or gud. The tabboleh was fresh, though, the hummus was also good. The hummus was heavier on the chickpea flavor, as opposed to the garlic at Tusker House. Both were good though. The olive salad was also good, the roll was kind of a non-sequitor but was eatable. It was ok with this meal, I feel like there are other CS’ in Epcot that would be better (or one could just snack around the world). The restroom in Morrocco have flush handles, rather than being automatic-I feel like I hear enough stories of wee ones too scared to wee in the automatic ones that that info ought to be useful to someone.
wdwdec07139.jpg

The bad about Pecos Bill's was the good about this trip, I guess. It was my only dining disappointment this trip.
I had really liked their Chicken salad without the Chicken last trip-it was a garden salad with jicama and cheese. I ordered it at their touch screen stands, and found it to be renamed the “Vegetarian salad.” Good enough, if less comic-sounding. The re-named salad was horrible. It was an el cheapo garden salad with some cheese. First dining disappointment of the trip. It tasted like those old McDonald’s salads.
wdwdec07144.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter