• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A vegetarian and Pescetarian do WDW dining-updated 2/15-1900 Park Fare

Hedy

<font color=blue>I'm <s>22</s> 27 and I still kind
These food reviews are by me, Heather-I'm a 23 year old vegetarian who hates mushrooms and does not like eggs. Some meals I was joined by my mother, who is a pescetarian (eats fish). I was not on the DDP.

First day:

Dinner was at Columbia Harbor House at the Magic Kingdom. I had the Lighthouse Sandwich - hummus with tomato & broccoli slaw $6.49. It came with a bag of chips. It was very good, and fairly high-quality for theme park fare. The only downer was that finding a table was a pain-I wish more CS restaurants would have a bar like the Main Street Bakery-that's great for solos.
2115388868_3758433e42.jpg

Off to a great start, can't wait to read more !:thumbsup2

< < < The only downer was that finding a table was a pain > > >

Did you look upstairs ? I can usually find a table up there, even when its packed downstairs !

I'm anxious to hear more as well, i'm a soon-to-be 24 yr. old vegetarian with a Disney trip coming up next month! I haven't been there in a few years and am hoping the options are improving.

I'm really looking forward to trying out the California Grill, but i'm having problems purchasing our dining plan (that's a whole other thread...) so we'll see if that will still be an option.

Can't wait to hear more! :)

Off to a great start, can't wait to read more !:thumbsup2

< < < The only downer was that finding a table was a pain > > >

Did you look upstairs ? I can usually find a table up there, even when its packed downstairs !

Yepp. That even took a few circles around to get.

I'm also a vegetarian who hates mushrooms, so I'm looking forward to reading your reviews!

DH and I ate at the Main Street Bakery today and I had their tomato-mozzarella-pesto sandwich. It was good, but wasn't out in the display--there were only meat vegetables on display (i knew to ask for it though).

The Lighthouse sandwich at Columbia Harbor House is actually my favorite counter service meal in all the parks. I was craving a pecan pie torte, though, which is why we ate at Main Street Bakery instead. :cloud9:

Did you look upstairs at CHH for a table? In September(free dining) downstairs was a zoo. We went upstairs and there were only 3 occupied tables.

For dessert, I had a Dole Whip float. I'd had my first Dole Whip last year-mixed with vanilla in case I didn't like it. This year, I decided to try the float. It was very good, i recommend it highly.
2115388986_920df09d26.jpg

For breakfast I had Beignets at my resort, POFQ. They were very good-lighter than the ones I had at the Big E in September.
2115389264_538ac2c683.jpg

Lunch was the Vegetarian platter at Sunshine Seasons at Epcot. I'd heard about Sunshine Seasons on the Food Network (I have a Food Network problem...it's one of my charms...:rolleyes1) and figured it was worth a try. It was very good. There was a fried vegetable part (I picked the mushrooms out), a lo mein part (very good), a rice part and a broccoli part. They were all very good. I was most impressed, oddly enough, by the broccoli-I think because of their heating pods, the broccoli was fresh rather than limp. But it was all very good and I recommend it highly. :)
2121060071_54f76a144c_m.jpg

For dessert I had the famous Schoolbread. I liked it, but I don't think I'll get it again (I'm not that much of a coconut fan). The schoolbread was kind of dry and too sweet. It was; however, better than the lefse last year.
2121061183_091c756f94.jpg

My second snack of the day was a Grand Marnier Orange Slush in France. Yum! It was very good, but WDW does not skimp out on the booze.
2121837922_50352fe275.jpg

For dinner, I went to Beaches and Cream. I had heard their burgers and fries were good, and I a)figured I like fries and b)I wanted a No Way Jose. I had a Boca burger and a coke with chocolate syrup (and no ice). Both wereexcellent-the Boca burger was on their fresh baked roll, the fries were good, and the syrup made the coke better. The prices were very reasonable, I thought, for WDW table service. However, there was no way I was going to be able to finish a No Way Jose. So no No Way Jose this time. :(
2121838254_4d042abf95.jpg

Up next...Tusker House Buffet for lunch.....

I got to Tusker House a little before my 11:55 ADR. There were some drummers playing while I was waiting. There was this little girl in those sparkly mouse ears who was just dancing her little heart out-it was adorable. When my buzzer went off, I went up to see a guy throwing a fit that he had to wait for his ADR.

Before I get to my play-by-play, review, I’d like to summarize my thoughts. I liked Tusker House for lunch, I liked it a lot, in fact. However, I don’t think I’ll ever eat there again. It’s too pricey for lunch, imo, especially when for $5 more you can have Boma in its entire splendor. But I did like it, a lot. It might be better than Boma for some crowds, as it has more "normal" food-like roast chicken and potatoes. It also has a make your own pbj bar, which might help keep your wee ones occupied while you eat. However, I’m thinking next time for lunch I may actually bus myself over to AKL and have a falafel sandwich and zebra domes.

Anyway, my waiter’s name was Chris, and he was excellent. I had a lousy server experience at CM’s last year, so I was wary about solo buffeting it up this time, nut Chris was great-my dirty plates were always gone by the time I returned, and he kept my cokewithnoiceplease filled and ice-free at all times.

Now, onto the chow:
wdwdec07092.jpg

Bread course: there’s “corn bread,” which was VERY good-it was like a peasant loaf studded with sweet corn. There was also chocolate mango bread, which was good, but I prefer a savory bread. The flatbread and hummus was also excellent.

wdwdec07093.jpg

Salad course: tomato cucumber salad, which was good, but I was slightly disappointed in the tomato-it wasn’t as fresh as I would have liked. There’s also an apple, blue cheese, and endive salad-I really liked it, and I’m generally not an endive person. The couscous salad was ok, but nothing spectacular. The golden raisin and rice salad was good, though.

wdwdec07094.jpg

Food itself. Chris said the samosas were a favorite among the staff. I thought they were good (I’m a big samosa fan) but nothing you couldn’t get at your local Indian restaurant, imo. The tandoori tofu was excellent-perfectly prepared and tasty. The couscous was good, better than the salad couscous, but the vegetables in it were slightly cold. The pearl couscous was ok, but slightly slimy.

wdwdec07095.jpg

More food. I had more samosas with chutney, and cornbread. I also had basmati rice (good), orzo with spinach, tomato and feta (ok), and root veggies with saffron (good).

wdwdec07096.jpg

Dessert! Chris had recommended the chocolate cake, which was good. I’d heard about the banana bread pudding from both Chris and Kevin on the podcast, and it lived up to its reputation. The chocolate lava cake was ok, as was the passion fruit tart.

Thanks so much for this great review of the Tusker House lunch! We have an ADR there for lunch in just a few weeks. :cool1:

I think I read that there are sliced cheeses? Did you have any? Any comment?

Thanks!

Thanks so much for this great review of the Tusker House lunch! We have an ADR there for lunch in just a few weeks. :cool1:

I think I read that there are sliced cheeses? Did you have any? Any comment?

Thanks!

You know, I don't remember. Sorry. :(

Is it wrong that I'm trying to dig a spoon into your pictures of the food at Tusker House?

My computer monitor seems to think so.

Looks great, and such helpful info for us veggie/pescies!

Wow, I'm a 'pescetarian' as well, but didn't realise there was a name for it until I read your post :rotfl: Amazing what you can learn on DIS !!!!

P.S. the photos of your food are really good - mine always come out 'whitewashed' - too much flash or something..

Thanks for sharing :)

Wow, I'm a 'pescetarian' as well, but didn't realise there was a name for it until I read your post :rotfl: Amazing what you can learn on DIS !!!!

P.S. the photos of your food are really good - mine always come out 'whitewashed' - too much flash or something..

Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks! I actually posted on the photo board on how to take good food pictures. Yes, I'm a dork. If your camera has a macro mode, try that, no zoom, on white foods (there's some mashed potatoes at leCellier which will come up later that i used this on to avoid white blob of food).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter