A vegetarian and Pescetarian do WDW dining-updated 2/15-1900 Park Fare

The ravioli sounds and looks delicious! Definitely something I will want to try on our next visit to LeCellier. Thanks for keeping the reviews coming! :thumbsup2

It's my review, and I can threadjack if I want to.

So, I don't know if any of you listen to WDW today, but I was sorely disappointed in their vegetarian episode (#362). I'm not a huge fan of WDW Today to begin with (they've said some things that have gotten my goat previously), but as DISUnplugged comes once a week, what can you do. It bothered me that their vegetarian seemed so focused on how hard it is for vegetarians at WDW. Frankly, WDW is about as easy as dining out gets for me-like I said when talking about Cosmic Rays, I can't go into a local fast food joint and get a veggie burger. And I can know ahead of time what's in it, and if I can eat it.
So vegetqarians, fear not, you don't have to starve at WDW.

So, I don't know if any of you listen to WDW today, but I was sorely disappointed in their vegetarian episode (#362). I'm not a huge fan of WDW Today to begin with (they've said some things that have gotten my goat previously), but as DISUnplugged comes once a week, what can you do. It bothered me that their vegetarian seemed so focused on how hard it is for vegetarians at WDW. Frankly, WDW is about as easy as dining out gets for me-like I said when talking about Cosmic Rays, I can't go into a local fast food joint and get a veggie burger. And I can know ahead of time what's in it, and if I can eat it.

Sometimes it's more enjoyable for people to makes things seem more difficut then they are. I'm a meat eater, but I have found many appealing veggie foods in Disney that are very good.

Actually the food brings us back to WDW as much as the entertainment and rides (Not to mention the availability of adult beverages.:) )! Since DH is the Compleat Carnivore and I'm vegetarian (ovo-lacto), I can find more choices at WDW than I can in my city (even though I live in a fairly vegetarian-friendly town).

Mushroom hating pescatarian here- loving your reviews! And pics!! I am planning a December 2008 trip and while reading your reviews I am working on my PassPorter restaurant section. Thank you!:goodvibes

We had lunch at CHH-my mom was set as soon as she heard vegetarian chili. Actually, I believe our actual conversation was:
Heather: "I was thinking Columbia Harbor House for lunch-it's near the HM, and has vegetarian chili, a hummus sandwhich, they are famous for their tuna sandwich, there's a salad you could have without chicken...."
Mom: "You had me at vegetarian chili."
She got vegetarian chili, and liked it a lot. It does have mushrooms in it, however, which is why I didn't get it. I had another hummus sandwich. We were sharing a table with a couple,, so no food pictures.
However, I realized I forgot to mention in my other CHH review-they have laminated menus you can pass around. Very helpful.

Oh, Boma, sweet Boma. I was surprised at how much more quiet it was at Boma this time than my trip in 06. We checked in, and were seated. When the waitress came over, she asked if we had any special dietary needs. I mentioned I am vegetarian, she listed the vegetarian options on the buffet. This is solely noteworthy because when YoungestBrother at al. went to Boma in October, they were accompanied by friends of DSIL who were vegan and vegetarian. The chef prepared a special dish for them. I adore Boma and didn’t care that I didn’t get a special dish, but I thought it was interesting. I think it's a good lesson to remember that anything extra is just that-extra, not to be expected. We both picked out drinks-I remember not liking a wine in my red wine flight in 06, so I went with a hard cider. Mom got goat wine. We headed up for our first course.

I started off with the Butternut Squash soup, which was excellent. And Butternut Squash soup is like ravioli-I’ve had a lot of it. I also liked the avocado, tomato and grapefruit salad, although I was once again under whelmed by the tomato quality. I also liked the corn and fried plantain salad. I also had hummus and flatbread-IMO Boma has the best hummus on property.
wdwdec07269.jpg

Mom, meanwhile, started off with a coconut curry stew-I think there might have been some seafood in it as well-she liked it. She also liked the salmon salad she had, saying that the sauce was nice.
I then moved onto pap, fufu, falafel, mealie (corn) bread and rice. I loved the pap, fufu and falafel; however, the rice was dry, and the mealie bread was just ok. I had more falafel and pap and fufu. I also had some black-eyed peas and vegetables.
wdwdec07271.jpg
I apparently didn’t take notes on what Mom had (sorry pescetarians! This is what I get for telling her she could eat her food, that she didn’t need to pose it first.) but she liked it.
wdwdec07270.jpg

wdwdec07273.jpg

We went into the restroom in between entrees and dessert. In things only overheard in WDW, I could hear a mother cajoling her kid “C’mon sweetie, poo for Mickey!” I managed to make it back to our table without laughing, at which point I told my mother. We were dying.

For dessert, I had banana bread pudding (ok, I looked Tusker House’s better), peach crumble (yum!) and cookie and zebra domes (which I have since learned is not vegetarian :-( Dang gelatin. We vegetarians are well versed in the evils of gelatin, keeping us from Mickey Rice Krispy treats, S'mores, gummy bears, and Starbursts.). Mom had some sort of pineapple upside down cheesecake, which she was not a fan of, and zebra domes.
wdwdec07273.jpg

wdwdec07274.jpg

We went into the restroom in between entrees and dessert. In things only overheard in WDW, I could hear a mother cajoling her kid “C’mon sweetie, poo for Mickey!” I managed to make it back to our table without laughing, at which point I told my mother. We were dying.

:rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl2: Hilarious. What are they going to do? Gift wrap it for Mickey. Kudos for not laughing in the bathroom. I don't think I could have contained myself.

:rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl2: Hilarious. What are they going to do? Gift wrap it for Mickey. Kudos for not laughing in the bathroom. I don't think I could have contained myself.

To be fair, my guess is (we saw little one and Mommy going into the restroom, and they were sitting near us) little one was young enough to be not a fan of pooing away from his home potty. But I still found it amusing.

To be fair, my guess is (we saw little one and Mommy going into the restroom, and they were sitting near us) little one was young enough to be not a fan of pooing away from his home potty. But I still found it amusing.

Well, I'm 30+ yrs past potty training and I'm still not a fan of pooing away from my home potty. ;) :rotfl:

I love the reviews!

Well, I'm 30+ yrs past potty training and I'm still not a fan of pooing away from my home potty. ;) :rotfl:

I love the reviews!

:rotfl2: Oh, where is the Tag Fairy when we need her?

I'm shocked to learn that Zebra Domes are not vegetarian! And my first thought was, "They're really made from zebras???" :rotfl:

Great reviews! I'm not a big meat eater so I love hearing about all the other options at Disney.

Thanks for the reviews. My best friend is coming with us on our next trip and even though she never complains and will eat anything (and in fact, may have survived one of our roadtrips through the upper mid-west on fries and bread), I want her to eat as well as possible.

Will Liberty Tree Tavern have anything? We're having lunch there one day.

I'm also a vegetarian who hates mushrooms, so I'm looking forward to reading your reviews!

DH and I ate at the Main Street Bakery today and I had their tomato-mozzarella-pesto sandwich. It was good, but wasn't out in the display--there were only meat vegetables on display (i knew to ask for it though).

The Lighthouse sandwich at Columbia Harbor House is actually my favorite counter service meal in all the parks. I was craving a pecan pie torte, though, which is why we ate at Main Street Bakery instead. :cloud9:

Thank you for that little tidbit! A tomato-mozzarella-pesto sandwich sounds like a PEFECT lunch to me! I'll be sure to ask for this next time! I'm not a vegetarian, but I like to pick healthy options which are usually more vegetarian oriented! Knowing there are more options for counter service other than burgers, hotdogs, and rotting salads is a big bonus for me! Thanks so much! :cheer2:

Side note: I've found that most CS salads leave A LOT to be desired! Usually just old wilted lettuce with over ripe tomatoes and some dry carrot shreds....

It surprised me how much more a cab to the GF ($16) was than a cab to/from Epcot ($10 or less), but it was on par with what I spent on a cab to CR in 06. We entered the GF and admired the decorations-I got to talk about the things I learned on my tour and sound all smart. We then made our way up to the podium. 1900 Park Fare opened around 8:05 (I think it’s supposed to open at 8).
wdwdec07279.jpg

We were able to be seated right away. As the hostess was walking us to our seats and giving us the spiel about food, blah blah blah, she said “And the characters love seeing adults, too, and they’ll be around.” We hadn’t even sat down yet, but I knew this was going to be better than the my time at Chef Mickey's in 06. We got up to get food. I regret to inform you that I believe I tried to make notes for this meal on the plane, so they include such deep thoughts as “potatoes….yay Mickey waffle…” but I’ll try. I started with the strawberry soup, which lived up to its rep (we’re thinking we may serve the AllEars recipe at Easter), potatoes and a pastry
wdwdec07282.jpg
. All were very good. Mom had an egg dish, potatoes, a croissant and a muffin, all of which she said were good.
wdwdec07281.jpg
I also had some Mickey waffles, a chocolate croissant and sticky bun.
wdwdec07283.jpg
All were good, but I was kind of bummed-I wanted my Mickey waffle a la mode, but couldn’t get the ice cream machine to work. Oh well. As I returned to my seat, I did a bit of a double-take-the Mad Hatter was sitting on a high chair. Somewhat amusing. The characters started coming. We first met with Pooh and Tigger.
wdwdec07287.jpg
Both signed my autograph book and took pictures, and hugged Mom. We amused ourselves looking at a family of six seated across from us. The three older kids were all somewhere between four and seven, and character shy. Baby in the high chair, however was watching the characters very intently. Mary Poppins came over and was very good. Mary tried to socialize with the family. Baby was far too busy staring at Pooh-Mary said something very polite like “Oh, well, I can’t compete with Pooh.” We chatted with Alice, and then the Mad Hatter came around.
wdwdec07291.jpg
wdwdec07292.jpg
He walked up to us, turned to Mom, and said “I think she likes me, she was staring at me earlier.” (Meaning me) LOL. He also insisted on a picture with Mom. Meanwhile, Pooh had reached our neighbor’s table, and Baby was practically climbing out of her highchair while the other kids in the family were hiding behind the parents. Mom commented that baby would be running the family in another year. We finished, and got our check. I have to say the only negative was the lag in getting our check.

Thank you for that little tidbit! A tomato-mozzarella-pesto sandwich sounds like a PEFECT lunch to me! I'll be sure to ask for this next time! I'm not a vegetarian, but I like to pick healthy options which are usually more vegetarian oriented! Knowing there are more options for counter service other than burgers, hotdogs, and rotting salads is a big bonus for me! Thanks so much! :cheer2:

Side note: I've found that most CS salads leave A LOT to be desired! Usually just old wilted lettuce with over ripe tomatoes and some dry carrot shreds....
Agreed.

Thanks for the reviews. My best friend is coming with us on our next trip and even though she never complains and will eat anything (and in fact, may have survived one of our roadtrips through the upper mid-west on fries and bread), I want her to eat as well as possible.

Will Liberty Tree Tavern have anything? We're having lunch there one day.
They have a grain and vegetable dish, but I've never had it.
Great reviews! I'm not a big meat eater so I love hearing about all the other options at Disney.
Thanks!
:rotfl2: Oh, where is the Tag Fairy when we need her?

I'm shocked to learn that Zebra Domes are not vegetarian! And my first thought was, "They're really made from zebras???" :rotfl:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
great review!! :banana:
Thanks!

You're welcome! :goodvibes I agree that the CS salads leave a lot to be desired--they remind me of the salads at Wendy's, which always taste 3 days old and preserved in wax to me. :rolleyes:

WDW actually has a lot of healthy options, relatively speaking (relative to restaurants in my town, anyway, which is a college town and presumably has more healthy food choices than a typical town). If I'm desperate, I'll get a veggie burger at counter service--with lettuce and tomato, I figure it couldn't be too awful for me! (I have to admit I do get fries, though, since WDW is the only place I've ever heard of that keeps the fry oil for the potatoes separate from the fry oil for chicken nuggets etc.).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter