A Vacation From My Problems (A Sept. 2010 Trip Report) - COMPLETED 12/14

Oddly enough, my DS calls it "EPCOT". The ball that is. I'm not sure what he calls the park.:confused3

The Big Golf Ball Park?

Oh yeah, nothing will induce a spouse to create an account and start commenting quite like name calling. :love:
Is she reading along? Julie? Are you there?

I'm pulling out all the stops! After all, our friends enjoy our fake Facebook fights, so I thought I could get her going here, too. For the record, she has read every installment. I just haven't found the right bait to get her commenting.

Does referencing a character count for points? (Seinfeld - even though I rarely watched the show, my boss talks about it constantly. Growing up on a farm in Wisconsin, a show about "nothing" set in New York never really appealed to me.:confused3)

It counts when it's intentional!

+1 :thumbsup2

I actually had the same experience. I was never into Seinfeld much (found the characters too unlikeable), but my friends talked about it all the time, so I felt like I had seen every episode anyway. I've always thought of Patrick Warburton as Puddy since, so my mind goes there whenever he pops up (including at Soarin').

Me too. Awesome ride. We watched the "Legends of Flight" IMAX show at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry this weekend. Part way though, I leaned over to DW and said "its nice, but it's not Soarin'"

I hope Disney didn't ruin the rest of the museum as well. I was only there once as a kid, but I remember thinking it was really cool. I'll have to quiz you on more Chicago details later.

By the way, you never finished your Wisconsin TR! How will I ever know if Dillinger haunted you at Little Bohemia?

Why do you think it takes me so long to comment on trip report entries?

And here I thought it was because you were at your office doing "work". :sad2:

:sad2:
Yup, if calling her names won't get her on here, vague references to you being a cross dresser surely will.

Even that didn't work. I give up.

Gladiator. :thumbsup2 Was that cast member wearing a toga?

No, but I'm sure she would have agreed that Gladiator is awesome anyway.

DW asks the kids all the time why they keep growing. They have learned the appropriate response "Because you keep feeding us!"

So that's the secret...

When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room. It's for fun.

Nacho Libre! (Never seen it: I cheated and looked it up. Sorry.)

:thumbsup2 nice update captain! i have a pic in a book of the golf ball while it was being built, its amamzing what is holding that up and how the weight is transfered down to the legs. tell dave not to feel bad, my dw (age i wont mention) has to be drug on that ride every trip. she always looks like shes talking the last walk going into that ride.:lmao:

I read the Imagineer's Guide before coming down. Apparently it's designed with the legs acting as a table, so 3/4 of the ride is sitting on the table and 1/4 of the ride is hanging down underneath. Those pictures sound cool! You'll have to post them!

You can post pictures of DW terrified of TT, too. :thumbsup2

Great update!! I noticed EPCOT's music didn't seem quite right in September, actually I dont really remembering hearing much at all when we entered the park...boooo:mad:

I LOVE ECPOT as well, I think next time it needs to be a 2 day adventure for us...because we just didnt have time to do much. I used to work on Living with the Land and I swear kids were always freaked out, because the first part of the ride you can see is dark and looks like thunderstorms...not very enticing to a small child :rotfl:

I didn't realize you were a former CM! Was it cool working there?

We planned 1 day at Future World and 1 day at World Showcase, and it worked out really well.

Homer J. Simpson

I'll give that one to you!

Out Cold and Gladiator

I was going for Gladiator here. Barry got that one.

The immature cheese on the cheez-it commercial maybe??? :confused3

You know, I wasn't going for anything with this quote, either. But I'm going to award a bonus point to Marv for sheer encyclopedic knowledge of esoteric Cheez-It commercials.

sorry off topic but dw loves when this one comes on.:lmao:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuZRWt5yYUc&feature=related :lmao:

:lmao:

Loving the EPCOT update! I'm like you and really enjoy the tech and travel. Unfortunately DW doesn't feel the same way. Luckily, there is Soarin and Test Track to get her interested. :thumbsup2

Barry, you know that nothing in New York and nothing in Wisconsin are two completely different things. :rotfl:

Glad to see there are more EPCOT geeks like me. How was your trip?

I wonder why there hasn't been a show about nothing in Wisconsin yet? :confused3 Or Delaware, for that matter. I mean, our state kind of personifies nothing-ness. I remember renting a car at an airport once and having the agent say, "Dela-where? Oh, I didn't think there was a state that started with D." :sad2:

Goldsmith

Jerry Goldsmith is correct! Famously composed the music to Star Trek, Hoosiers and Rudy among many, many others. Sadly, he passed away a few years ago.

+1 bonus point :thumbsup2

Current Standings After 10 Entries

Glennbo123 12
Trennr 10
FreezinRafiki 7
MissLiz 5
That's Nice 5
Mom3sonstt 4
Melk 3
Middlepat 3
Belle_princess 2
Marvali 2
Afwdwfan 2
LegoMan3 1
jedijill 1
sara98629 1*

Ah, didn't see that he'd already called it. It's hard to look back at posts and still answer quickly...

Yeah, I hear ya. I never imagined how cutthroat-y the competition would be. :laughing:

There will be a bonus point opportunity in the next post, though. It won't depend on movie knowledge or speed, either. Just your sense of humor.

Barry, you know that nothing in New York and nothing in Wisconsin are two completely different things. :rotfl:
New York and Wisconsin are actually very similar. They have big buildings, we have silos. Ummm...yeah, I think that's about it.

I hope Disney didn't ruin the rest of the museum as well. I was only there once as a kid, but I remember thinking it was really cool. I'll have to quiz you on more Chicago details later.
You know where to reach me. Are you going to do the Ledge? Wait, let me rephrase that - you are going to do the Ledge.
IMG_2161.JPG

By the way, you never finished your Wisconsin TR! How will I ever know if Dillinger haunted you at Little Bohemia?
I feel shame. :sad2:
Every time I see Stopher put up another entry, I'm reminded that I left my hanging. Following Man Rule protocol, it will be finished before my December trip to WDW.
And here I thought it was because you were at your office doing "work". :sad2:
:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl::rotfl::lmao::rotfl2:

I wonder why there hasn't been a show about nothing in Wisconsin yet? :confused3 Or Delaware, for that matter. I mean, our state kind of personifies nothing-ness. I remember renting a car at an airport once and having the agent say, "Dela-where? Oh, I didn't think there was a state that started with D." :sad2:
Wisconsin has had several shows set here.
Happy Days, Lavern & Shirley (Milwaukee)
Step by Step (Port Washington)
That 70's Show (fictional Point Place, WI)
Picket Fences (fictional Rome, WI)
The Young and the Restless (fictional Genoa City, WI. There is an actual Genoa City, WI, but I'm told it is nothing like the one on TV. I wouldn't know, I've never seen either.)

The problem is that Wisconsin just has too much going on to be able to support a show about nothing.

I looked, but could not find any shows set in Delaware. But Dead Poets Society was filmed there. :thumbsup2 Unfortunately, so was Failure to Launch. :sad2:

Nerd humor rocks! :rockband:

(always looking for excuses to use different smileys)

You too huh? I had a hunch that was the case.

smiliehunchback.gif

Missed it by THAT much...

Get Smart!

Nacho Libre! (Never seen it: I cheated and looked it up. Sorry.)

Kudos for even knowing to look it up. I was afraid you'd reply with a "Ooookaaaaay" :scared:

You know where to reach me. Are you going to do the Ledge? Wait, let me rephrase that - you are going to do the Ledge.
IMG_2161.JPG

Those kids are making it look easy. I did something like this at the CN Tower in Toronto where they have a glass floor you can walk on. You'd think it'd be easy, but.....it's just so freaky.

IMG_2161.JPG

You know, I think I could give that a shot. Being an engineer, it doesn't say much about me if I'm not willing to trust their work, right? What did you think of it?

I think the only obstacle is that we were thinking of going up to the top of the Hancock Tower instead. We thought it might actually have a better view of the skyline.

I feel shame. :sad2:
Every time I see Stopher put up another entry, I'm reminded that I left my hanging. Following Man Rule protocol, it will be finished before my December trip to WDW.

popcorn::

Wisconsin has had several shows set here.
Happy Days, Lavern & Shirley (Milwaukee)
Step by Step (Port Washington)
That 70's Show (fictional Point Place, WI)
Picket Fences (fictional Rome, WI)
The Young and the Restless (fictional Genoa City, WI. There is an actual Genoa City, WI, but I'm told it is nothing like the one on TV. I wouldn't know, I've never seen either.)

The problem is that Wisconsin just has too much going on to be able to support a show about nothing.

I looked, but could not find any shows set in Delaware. But Dead Poets Society was filmed there. :thumbsup2 Unfortunately, so was Failure to Launch. :sad2:

Don't forget the quality non-fiction shows such as Man V. Food and Bert the Conqueror that showed up in Wisconsin as well (although they might not want to draw attention to the Bert episode).

Maybe I'll have to use a Dead Poets Society quote to honor Delaware at some point. The other film...well, we don't talk about that much. In fact, I've never heard of it. Yeah, that's it. :confused3

You too huh? I had a hunch that was the case.

smiliehunchback.gif

I admit it, your smileys are better than mine! :worship:

Get Smart!

Kudos for even knowing to look it up. I was afraid you'd reply with a "Ooookaaaaay" :scared:

I was tempted to reply that way anyway! The specificity of "stretchy-pants" tipped me off that it might be a quote.

Those kids are making it look easy. I did something like this at the CN Tower in Toronto where they have a glass floor you can walk on. You'd think it'd be easy, but.....it's just so freaky.

:scared1:

PEANUT BUTTER NO!!!

I'm getting vertigo just looking at that.

I don't usually have a problem looking down over a great height. It's actually falling that I don't like. :scared1: Good thing Disney doesn't have any rides that make you do that! :rolleyes1

When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room. It's for fun.
First speedos at Kidani, now stretchy pants??? :eek:
:welcome:

+1 :thumbsup2 for Spaceballs! Glad to have you here, Marvin, and look at that! You're already earning points. Anyway, I'm always happy to have the DIS Dads hanging around here. It definitely ups the "cool" factor. :cool2:
:woohoo: Accruing points with my very first post!!!! :banana:
A hidden Mikey! Now I'm just blown away by your powers of observation. You even know the kid's name! :rotfl2:
:rotfl2:
You know, I wasn't going for anything with this quote, either. But I'm going to award a bonus point to Marv for sheer encyclopedic knowledge of esoteric Cheez-It commercials.

:yay: I love a game where the rules committee isn't biased against me! This is my new favorite TR!!!!
Current Standings After 10 Entries

Glennbo123 12
Trennr 10
FreezinRafiki 7
MissLiz 5
That's Nice 5
Mom3sonstt 4
Melk 3
Middlepat 3
Belle_princess 2
Marvali 2
Afwdwfan 2
LegoMan3 1
jedijill 1
sara98629 1*
Since we have been talking about golf balls, I'm guessing the scoring here has me near the TOP of the leaderboard...... :rolleyes1

:yay: I love a game where the rules committee isn't biased against me! This is my new favorite TR!!!!

Your favorite? Aw, I'm touched. Glad to see you like me temporarily! :thumbsup2

Since we have been talking about golf balls, I'm guessing the scoring here has me near the TOP of the leaderboard...... :rolleyes1[/QUOTE]

Uh...about being your favorite TR...well...

You had me at POR! Im in!

Glad to have you aboard Mark! DIS Dads always welcome!

You know, I think I could give that a shot. Being an engineer, it doesn't say much about me if I'm not willing to trust their work, right? What did you think of it?

I think the only obstacle is that we were thinking of going up to the top of the Hancock Tower instead. We thought it might actually have a better view of the skyline.
It was awesome! The elevator takes you up 1353 feet in about 60 seconds. But unlike Tower of Terror, it then lets you out.
I'm a pretty logical person. I know that teams of engineers (and lawyers) worked on this design and thousands of people go out on them every day, so it's safe. But my heart still skipped about half a beat when I took that first step out.
There were, however, a lot of people that were to scared to out on the ledge. My Father in Law and I did convince one lady that it was perfectly safe to join us out there. She didn't last long after we started jumping up and down, however. :confused3:rotfl2:

I've never been up in the Hancock tower, so I can't say if it has a better view or not. If you get the CityPass, it includes admission to the Field Museum, Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, Museum of Science and Industry and either the Sears tower or Hancock tower. Both towers include FastPass entry - which probably saved us 30 minutes or more inline. I believe Hancock's observation deck is open-air.

Maybe I'll have to use a Dead Poets Society quote to honor Delaware at some point. The other film...well, we don't talk about that much. In fact, I've never heard of it. Yeah, that's it. :confused3
:sad2:

I don't usually have a problem looking down over a great height. It's actually falling that I don't like. :scared1:
It's not the falling you need to be concerned with. It's that sudden stop at the end.

Up-to-Date Comprehensive List of Movie and TV Quotes/References in this TR

What About Bob?
Star Wars
Spaceballs
My Cousin Vinny
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
The Fugitive
Jaws
Cars
The Hunt for Red October
WarGames
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Forrest Gump
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Airplane!
This is Spinal Tap
Saturday Night Live
Kingdom of Heaven
Rocky
Monsters, Inc.
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
Finding Nemo
The Simpsons
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
Oliver & Co.
Coming to America
Get Smart
The Untouchables
Toy Story
Caddyshack
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Dumb and Dumber
Good Morning Vietnam
The Shawshank Redemption
Die Hard
Field of Dreams
Sky High
The Princess Bride
Braveheart
Seinfeld
Gladiator
Random Cheez-It commercials

Count me in...I'm following along. Loving your report!! popcorn::popcorn::

IMG_2161.JPG

This is freaky....I live outside Toronto where they have the glass floor in the CN Tower - yeah - that's not happening either. You couldn't pay me enough to do this!! Kids have no fear whatsoever. I'm scared for those kids just looking at that picture...:scared1:

It was awesome! The elevator takes you up 1353 feet in about 60 seconds. But unlike Tower of Terror, it then lets you out.
I'm a pretty logical person. I know that teams of engineers (and lawyers) worked on this design and thousands of people go out on them every day, so it's safe. But my heart still skipped about half a beat when I took that first step out.
There were, however, a lot of people that were to scared to out on the ledge. My Father in Law and I did convince one lady that it was perfectly safe to join us out there. She didn't last long after we started jumping up and down, however. :confused3:rotfl2:

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

That's just cruel and sadistic. I love it. :thumbsup2

I'd probably feel the same way. It would be cool to try it out, though. Julie was looking at your pictures on Facebook and said we'd never get her out on the Ledge in a million years. So I guess that's a no.

I've never been up in the Hancock tower, so I can't say if it has a better view or not. If you get the CityPass, it includes admission to the Field Museum, Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, Museum of Science and Industry and either the Sears tower or Hancock tower. Both towers include FastPass entry - which probably saved us 30 minutes or more inline. I believe Hancock's observation deck is open-air.

I'll have to check out the City Pass--sounds like a good deal. As far as the view goes, I'm just going by the pictures I've found online. One positive for the Hancock Tower is that they have a Cheesecake Factory on the bottom floor. :thumbsup2

It's not the falling you need to be concerned with. It's that sudden stop at the end.

Yeah, that sounds...inconvenient.

Count me in...I'm following along. Loving your report!! popcorn::popcorn::

This is freaky....I live outside Toronto where they have the glass floor in the CN Tower - yeah - that's not happening either. You couldn't pay me enough to do this!! Kids have no fear whatsoever. I'm scared for those kids just looking at that picture...:scared1:

Thanks for joining in! What FreezinRafiki didn't mention is that he sent his kids out first, to test the safety of the Ledge. :rotfl2:

Did I miss something???? Are you coming to my hometown?

Possibly. Since this year's trip is over :-)sad1:), I've already starting planning the next vacation. We're thinking of a Mid-west road trip, doing a loop through Chicago. FreezinRafiki has tried out several places/activities we were interested in lately, so I've been gathering intel from him.

Possibly. Since this year's trip is over :-)sad1:), I've already starting planning the next vacation. We're thinking of a Mid-west road trip, doing a loop through Chicago. FreezinRafiki has tried out several places/activities we were interested in lately, so I've been gathering intel from him.

Well, I work in Downtown Chicago and we'll just have to meet up!!!! Seriously, if you need any info, let me know and I'll try to find out or let you know if we've done.

I was a CM for a brief time in the summer of 2007, it was a lot of fun!! I am not sure how people do it for much longer than a month or so, it wore me out!!

Next time we visit I think we need to split Future World and World Showcase up like that...Im already trying to convince DBF to return next year :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter