• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A thread for DVC resort ownership with points at each resorts

Aug 2020 - 250 PVB Resale
Aug 2020 - 100 SSR Direct

As a new member I find my self back and forth between “did I get to many to quickly?” and “it would be nice to add a little more on”. So far I’m mostly happy with where I’m at, but not being able to buy an annual pass for the 4 of us means every time I think about booking another trip I think “ugh, another $2000+ for tickets“. If it wasn’t for the need to keep buying tickets I would probably be doing more trips this year. I would need to spend around $10K to get tickets for 4 people for the 4 trips we had planned on doing over a 1 year period.

The sample size in this thread is pretty small so far, but the people with massive numbers of points seem to have accumulated them quickly and recently. I do wonder if this gets addicting, then reality of paying huge maintenance fees year after year causes people to quickly scale back. I find myself watching room tours on YouTube often for no reason. It could also be people this board having a bias where new members have a tendency to be the ones reading it. After a few years of being a member maybe it gets to be so routine these forums get repetitive so longer term members don’t tend to read it?

This is an interesting thread. I am curious the makeup of other members points, and how they end up using them over the years
@TheEpcotForEver, you and I are very similar. I did the same thing in July/August 100 SSR direct, then added 120 PVB resale. I have not yet been able to take a welcome home trip and have planned for 3 trips for my family of 3 in 2021. Hoping we are able to take them. The ability to get an annual pass discount with DVC was a large reason to become a member. Forget discount, they are not even selling the passes. So that is a bummer. Hoping things will change soon.

Its most interesting to me that I am continuously stalking to see what next I should purchase. When I started wanting to book with my points, it was a revelation in terms of availability at 7 months. Its not as great as what I had anticipated with the SSR points. So now I anticipating the need to buy and trying to figure out where I need to buy because I want to make use of the best deals in points at the resorts I would love to stay at.

About new and veteran members on these boards, I agree about longer term members being not as excited about getting new points. But their insights, help and support of knowledge is excellent.

Thank you veteran members. Please be there to pull new members like me off the ledges :)

The sample size in this thread is pretty small so far, but the people with massive numbers of points seem to have accumulated them quickly and recently. I do wonder if this gets addicting, then reality of paying huge maintenance fees year after year causes people to quickly scale back. I find myself watching room tours on YouTube often for no reason. It could also be people this board having a bias where new members have a tendency to be the ones reading it. After a few years of being a member maybe it gets to be so routine these forums get repetitive so longer term members don’t tend to read it?

This is an interesting thread. I am curious the makeup of other members points, and how they end up using them over the years
We are soon to have over 1k points and have had over 700 for the past few years. We live in SoFla so we use our points for mainly long weekends 3-4 day trips. We have never stayed a week on property. That’s why we own so many different resorts with only a few hundred points each because it’s enough to get a big room for a long weekend and I can easily book at the 11moth window because we own our own business so we don’t have to worry about getting the time off. I hate having to hunt a room at the 7 month window. We tend to get annual passes in December every other year so we can always see the Christmas decorations and then we will go up once a month for a long weekend when we have the passes. In the off year we will go to DL and use our VGC points instead and a few resort only stays.

BWV - Sept - 150 + 150 (purchased direct and at the same time)

We are hoping to outlive our contracts, so that we can find out for certain "what will happen in 2042?"!
Carolyn, BWV is a fun resort, hoping DVD will give an extension like they did for OKW and I also wonder if they do, would that have any baggage around it about direct vs resale

Carolyn, BWV is a fun resort, hoping DVD will give an extension like they did for OKW and I also wonder if they do, would that have any baggage around it about direct vs resale
Lol, the question of extensions for other 2042 resorts has been debated ad infinitum (and ad nauseum for some) here on these boards! One of the more recent is here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/what-does-dvc-look-like-in-2042.3823364/.

I am in the camp that believes there will not be any more extensions and that (assuming timeshares are still viable in 2042) DVD will remodel/refurbish BWV to meet the standards for timeshares in 2042 and re-sell it with a much higher points chart and for as many $ per point as the market in 2042 will bear. At best, they might offer then-current BWV owners (whether they bought into BWV via direct or resale) a discount on purchasing points at BWV 2.0. We will be way too old by then to be interested in an extension or a new contract - as I said in my earlier post, we just hope to live long enough to find out what they actually do, not just in terms of reselling it but also in terms of borrowing/banking restrictions as 2042 approaches.

Lol, the question of extensions for other 2042 resorts has been debated ad infinitum (and ad nauseum for some) here on these boards! One of the more recent is here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/what-does-dvc-look-like-in-2042.3823364/.

I am in the camp that believes there will not be any more extensions and that (assuming timeshares are still viable in 2042) DVD will remodel/refurbish BWV to meet the standards for timeshares in 2042 and re-sell it with a much higher points chart and for as many $ per point as the market in 2042 will bear. At best, they might offer then-current BWV owners (whether they bought into BWV via direct or resale) a discount on purchasing points at BWV 2.0. We will be way too old by then to be interested in an extension or a new contract - as I said in my earlier post, we just hope to live long enough to find out what they actually do, not just in terms of reselling it but also in terms of borrowing/banking restrictions as 2042 approaches.
Carolyn, Indeed, my naivete and newness shows.
Thank you for linking to the threads with previous discussions on this topic. I am going to read through and try and understand the theories and nuances.
There is so much to it than simplicity of hoping for an extension. It would indeed be interesting to see actually what happens. I hope by then everyone that owns at these resorts that expire in 2042 have thoroughly enjoyed their ownership and stays.
I wish I had owned sooner, but my first trip to WDW was in 2015 and first time I started looking into DVC was 2019.

@TheEpcotForEver, you and I are very similar. I did the same thing in July/August 100 SSR direct, then added 120 PVB resale. I have not yet been able to take a welcome home trip and have planned for 3 trips for my family of 3 in 2021. Hoping we are able to take them. The ability to get an annual pass discount with DVC was a large reason to become a member. Forget discount, they are not even selling the passes. So that is a bummer. Hoping things will change soon.

Its most interesting to me that I am continuously stalking to see what next I should purchase. When I started wanting to book with my points, it was a revelation in terms of availability at 7 months. Its not as great as what I had anticipated with the SSR points. So now I anticipating the need to buy and trying to figure out where I need to buy because I want to make use of the best deals in points at the resorts I would love to stay at.

About new and veteran members on these boards, I agree about longer term members being not as excited about getting new points. But their insights, help and support of knowledge is excellent.

Thank you veteran members. Please be there to pull new members like me off the ledges :)
We have only seen availability during covid too. Then there’s going to be a time period where everyone will have a ton of extra points to burn post covid. So we probably won’t be able to start getting a feel for “normal” availability for at least 2 years. Probably closer to 3.

First was SS - 160 - June Resale then
OKW 85 and 70 - Oct - resale
HH - 150 - Dec - resale
BC - 109 and 17 and 15 - June - direct
BLT - 59 and 55 and 67 - June - direct
WLV/BRV - 87 and 54 and 83 - mix resale and direct
VGF - 103 and 51 - April - direct
Along the way I sold a small VGF contract and a small OKW contract to fund my latest VWL/BRV contract.
Currently 4UY, 15 contracts and 1165 points total...

252 BCV in ‘14 resale
168 PVB in ‘15 direct fixed week #44
100 AKV in ‘19 resale

So far as use, when we aren’t bogged down with other things, we go 2-3/yr and have annual passes.

Otherwise we have a few renters on the “if you don’t use them, we will” system. Definitely repeat “offenders”.

But. For example. I found SW airlines flights for $49 each way, and with a place to stay and annual passes, We can take a trip including flights for under a grand (all other costs being fixed). Of course the real costs are higher but since they are fixed costs (part of our monthly budget regardless), they take the per trip cost down to “spur of the moment” level expenses.

We were sold on DVC “changes the way you do Disney.” And it does. 19 days and counting down.

All October use year:
150 VWL 2008 $79 pp Resale
120 BWV 2008 $104 pp Direct
30 BWV 2009 $104 pp Direct
50 VGC 2009 $112 pp Direct
125 SSR 2015 $75 pp Resale
35 VGC 2017 $185 pp Direct

510 points total

Generally stay in 1BRs, WDW 3x/year, DL every 3 years (with VGC points).

I have:

300 AKV- resale- Dec 2020- Feb use year
450 Riv- direct- Feb 2021- Feb use year

The Riviera points aren't all "mine" though. I bought with some family members and I'm paying for 150 of those points myself. So really 450 points are mine even though I'm on contracts for 750 points.

I still want a small HHI contract and maybe a couple of other small add-ons (BLT/BWV).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter