A Pink Pixie Princess...FINALLY! A 2017 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend Trip Report!

Just catching up - "Death Wheel" made me LOL! I 100% agree with that statement! No characters is no bueno! I would have been p***ed too! But you are nicer than me as I would not have been polite, lol! Apparently when I think I have been wronged am embarrassingly vocal (just ask my kids :rolleyes2)! I will also be making a note about the Secret Menu drinks! :drinking:

Glad the 10k was better! And OOOMMMMGGGG, Chip & Dale in pirate costume??? That is the most perfect thing ever!

Can't wait to read about the half! :hyper:

Ack! I got behind.

So random things from the last few posts...

That purse!! LOVE. :lovestruc

Now your pictures are making me regret not planning for Cove Bar. Especially that Neverland Tea. YUM.

I love that picture with Goofy in that costume (zoot suit?). I thought the outfits the characters wore at DCA were super cute.

Dang. I totally forgot about trying to get a Dole Whip with Rum. Oh well, another reason to go back to DLR.

You got some fantastic race photos and I agree you look super speedy in that one. So glad we got the chance to see so much of each other during the races. It made it extra special.

Enjoying the report so far! I am planning to do Tink next year for the first time, and I do hope they keep the Main Street starting line. It does sound like a logistical nightmare, but the idea of just waiting around near the castle sounds awesome! Way better than Disneyland Drive!

I agree that the Disneyland 10k courses are the best. They FLY by because of all the park time! So glad they put the characters back out for you.

I'm glad you finally got to try a Dole Whip! I love them, especially the floats, but I rarely buy one in Disney now. The local ice cream place by me serves it so it has lost some of it's appeal to me because I can get it all of the time (just had it Friday!).

I agree with you that the 5K just seems blech! Glad the 10K went better. Characters, even if you don't stop at them, are part of the experience that you pay for!

I get the music issue! Even at Star Wars, you end up having to just tune out the music as its repeatable.

Have you seen the mouseplanet article yet? The temp/volunteer thing seemed horrible!

Just catching up - "Death Wheel" made me LOL! I 100% agree with that statement! No characters is no bueno! I would have been p***ed too! But you are nicer than me as I would not have been polite, lol! Apparently when I think I have been wronged am embarrassingly vocal (just ask my kids :rolleyes2)! I will also be making a note about the Secret Menu drinks! :drinking:
I don't do ferris wheels at all, but add in swinging gondolas - NOPE NOPE NOPE

No characters is no beuno - AGREED!!!

Part of why I left the booth so quickly is because I could feel myself getting angry...I am not good when it comes to confrontation, I either cry or get really, really mad! And yes, do make a note of the secret menu - this was the 3rd secret menu drink I've had, and I liked 2 of the 3 (the Melrose is also good - wasn't a fan of the Fun Wheel).
Glad the 10k was better! And OOOMMMMGGGG, Chip & Dale in pirate costume??? That is the most perfect thing ever!
Right? Right???
Can't wait to read about the half! :hyper:
It was good, but not as good as the 10K!
Ack! I got behind.

So random things from the last few posts...

That purse!! LOVE. :lovestruc
Isn't it so cute??
Now your pictures are making me regret not planning for Cove Bar. Especially that Neverland Tea. YUM.
For next trip!! ::yes:: Cove Bar is solid.
I love that picture with Goofy in that costume (zoot suit?). I thought the outfits the characters wore at DCA were super cute.
that's exactly what the character handler called it! During a switchout he said Goofy had to go get a matching zoot suit for Max but would be right back. :)
Dang. I totally forgot about trying to get a Dole Whip with Rum. Oh well, another reason to go back to DLR.
Secret menu, Dole Whip with rum...boozy trip you've got planned! (I'm one to talk though...)
You got some fantastic race photos and I agree you look super speedy in that one. So glad we got the chance to see so much of each other during the races. It made it extra special.
Me too! The 10K was so fun!! :yay:
I agree with you that the 5K just seems blech! Glad the 10K went better. Characters, even if you don't stop at them, are part of the experience that you pay for!
I'm right there with you!! :mad:
I get the music issue! Even at Star Wars, you end up having to just tune out the music as its repeatable.
Yep, although the Star Wars music is so pretty and...powerful, I guess? Seems really good for running!
Have you seen the mouseplanet article yet? The temp/volunteer thing seemed horrible!
I DID!! :eek: I started a thread about it in the runDisney section because I thought it was so nuts! I agreed with a LOT of it, but most of it was new to me - I guess I got lucky in a lot of ways! Seems like some people really had a disaster of a weekend. :(

Tee dum, tee dee, A teedle deelde deeay Oh, a teedle ee dum, A teedle ee do tee day, Oh, a teedle ee dum, A teedle ee do tee day.

Loving your trip reports. I just discovered them last week, and they're amazing. I am determined to do a runDisney event one day now!

Tee dum, tee dee, A teedle deelde deeay Oh, a teedle ee dum, A teedle ee do tee day, Oh, a teedle ee dum, A teedle ee do tee day.
SSHHHHHHH!!!! :rotfl:
Loving your trip reports. I just discovered them last week, and they're amazing. I am determined to do a runDisney event one day now!
Thank you so much!! I forgive you for singing...THAT SONG. :rotfl2:

I have an email to them in the works as well...I'm letting that one sit for a bit because I don't want to come off like a total lunatic
As long as you provide reasonable suggestions for ways they can improve on the issues you are bringing up, you never sound crazy! You are actually providing "constructive" feedback, which clearly they need ;)

How awesome to have found friends to chat with in the corral!!

we leap-frogged each other for most of this race
That is very cool! I enjoy the comradere of that, even if it's strangers on the same race course, even cooler when you know the people :)

A classic character in an outfit themed to the race...that's the dream, people.
:love: Yes! Donald and the chipmunks in cute attire!!!

As long as you provide reasonable suggestions for ways they can improve on the issues you are bringing up, you never sound crazy! You are actually providing "constructive" feedback, which clearly they need ;)
I just sort of feel like I *have* to say something. I can complain all I want on the boards (and I have! :teeth:) but it doesn't do any good unless runDisney actually reads it.
How awesome to have found friends to chat with in the corral!!
It was!! Made the wait fly by!
That is very cool! I enjoy the comradere of that, even if it's strangers on the same race course, even cooler when you know the people :)
It was fun and hilarious to see that they stopped for all of the same things I did!
:love: Yes! Donald and the chipmunks in cute attire!!!
Right?? I was so excited!

DIS-meet-up!

I didn’t waste much time in heading back to the room to shower and change. I got all of my stuff together for the half marathon! Hopefully this time tomorrow I would just be a few miles away from my pink C2C medal!
34330819280_7db779a470_z.jpg

I headed out at about 9AM...the kids races were about to start. It looked both adorable and crowded!

33905604263_9b7b92188d_z.jpg

I had a breakfast reservation at Steakhouse 55! Add breakfast food to the list of things I love.

34584177291_ef1ea3dd34_z.jpg

YAASSSS coffee

34674804346_cb689463c4_z.jpg

I love love love the vibe of this place - really of the Disneyland Hotel in general. So many cool old photos.

I decided to try something I’d never had before - steak and eggs (just like Dexter!)! Even better, it came with garlic parmesan fries. It’s okay to have fries for breakfast, right? I’m gonna say yes.

34714957465_daa0cc51ed_z.jpg

33872709534_5bed8df396_z.jpg

Pretty good! I am not sure I’d get steak again for breakfast but I’m glad I tried it!

I took a quick stroll through the gift shop before heading back to Paradise Pier...I’m currently kicking myself for not buying the monorail and Haunted Mansion socks. Kicking myself in my boring, plain white socks.

34553307582_0ec1cbec18_z.jpg

I took a short snooze (45 minutes or so) and then spent a bit of time acting on a Facebook tip I found - new Garmin screen (temporary for this weekend only!)!

34584175001_2e77200776_z.jpg

Once I was all ready, I made my way to the Disneyland Hotel.

34553307262_3875e7a05a_z.jpg

To Trader Sam’s for a DIS-meet! I wasn’t sure if anyone would show up...then I started reading the Tink thread and found that people were indeed planning on coming. :yay: Yay! But eek...I get nervous around new people. Also, the patio was crowded and I didn’t have a plan B for a meet-up spot.

I headed inside to get a drink! @ZellyB and @Chris-Mo came in shortly after!

33905600653_756ab06150_z.jpg

34330815690_09951cec4e_z.jpg

I ordered a Hippomato Mai Tai with the souvenir glass (which they gave to me clean and in a box). And then I headed out to find a table, where I ran into @VickiHD.

Forgot to take a pic of my drink!

34584174441_70d815a875_z.jpg

People started showing up - yay! @bellanotte10, @singastory, @roxymama, Vicki, Chris, Gisele, @RunningPrince, @TeresaMRoberts...I’m sure I’m forgetting some people. It was SO fun!! We ended up staying for 2 hours!

Against my better judgement, I ordered a second drink...the Shrunken Zombie Head. VERY strong cinnamon flavor, but good. Ugliest mug ever, currently sitting on my kitchen shelf. Haha!

34714956465_035d7a5acc_z.jpg

Both mugs:

34553305792_2044386331_z.jpg

The mai tai one is WAY cuter.

Sneaky Judy

I left the meet-up a bit after 4 and headed to Haagen-Dasz for...lunch, I guess!
34674802906_efb1a4bf80_z.jpg

And back to California Adventure for medal pictures!

Hey girl heyyyy!

33908956503_cbe55c73cd_z.jpg

34587274241_5407d6271c_z.jpg

I like the oval shape of this medal.

34584174751_947fef7a3e_z.jpg

Pluto, my love!

34587268161_02ab12369c_z.jpg

And the main mouse again...this is probably my favorite outfit he meets in, so anytime I saw him out in California Adventure, I couldn’t resist stopping (ditto to Flapper Minnie!).

34556542802_6edcacca48_z.jpg

The big disappointment of the day was sneaky Judy Hopps - one of my “goals” for this trip was to meet her, and when I went to her designated spot (per the Disneyland app), she just wasn’t there. Wahhh! I didn’t ask any CMs what was going on, so I guess I wasn’t too broken up about it.

34553299432_07380ff10e_z.jpg

I hadn’t made a dinner reservation for this evening and wasn’t really sure what to do - since I’d liked the turkey sandwich from Pacific Wharf Cafe so much, I just went ahead and grabbed another one to take back to the room for dinner.

I headed back to the room to sit in bed and eat my sandwich (a nightly ritual that I really enjoyed for this race weekend). Still on East Coast time, I was in bed by 8:45 with a 4AM wake-up call set. This was definitely the most well-rested I have been for a runDisney race weekend, and I felt pretty stupendous as a result!

Up next: the 2017 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, but first...a very rude awakening! :mad:
34714954655_4f171e8b3e_z.jpg

I'm so glad the 10K was better! Yas, steak and eggs....breakfast food always for this gal! Dis meet how fun! Pictures are great. I love your InB style and those shades (which I always mean to compliment). Nothing better than good sleep! Looking forward to reading about the half! Woo hoo!

It’s okay to have fries for breakfast, right? I’m gonna say yes.
Especially if you've just run 10K ;) And especially if you have steak!!

(which they gave to me clean and in a box)
NIce! That is a really clever "policy", but I don't understand why they did it with one drink but not the other:confused3

(a nightly ritual that I really enjoyed for this race weekend)
OMG! This is exactly what I did all through W&D race weekend.

I also really like the unique shape/design of the 10K medal...but hte 5K is hands down still my favourite...odd, best medal-worse race!!

Fries for breakfast is totally acceptable. Especially if they're garlic parmesean fries.

Yay DIS-meet! Sounds like you had a really good crowd - I'm glad it was fun!

Lots of awesome medal pictures! It's always fun to get medal pictures with the classic characters.

Almost time for the half ... yay! (Although I'm a little nervous about what your rude awakening was...)

Catching up.
First the 10k: so happy this race was more of what everyone expected! Others have already said it, but you really looked like you were flying out there! As hook would say "Nice Form Jack!"

That medal is so cool! I also bought that MU hat you are wearing for hubby cause I saw it everywhere around the parks.

Second: I see myself in the meet up pic!!! Well, my shirt at least. Proof I was there!

Third: omg I'm so excited to read your half recap because I can compare our experiences. My goal is to do mine tonight while I watch the bachelorette premier...if my brain cells don't all die.

Ps: omg Oreo shake...gimme that!

So glad the 10K was much better. runDisney learned their lesson from taking things away for now. Also awesome that you got to meet up with Gisele and Chris.

The rest of your day sounds great with the Dis meet and pictures in the parks.

Glad your Dismeet went well! I just love Trader Sam's! Glad you had two fun drinks and what great souvenirs those are!

Fries are totally breakfast ;)

I find it funny that you think 8:45PM is early for bed on race weekends! My husband and I try to be in bed before 8PM, sometimes even 7! But having read your reports, you did go to bed a lot earlier than you usually do!

Who is Judy Hopps?

I need to get an MU cap... I've picked it up so many times and not bought it but I still think about it which means I need to get it right??!

Mickey looks so dapper! I love it!

I will be SO ANNOYED if they change the theme of the Tower of Terror in WDW or DLP... This is NOT a good change...

Sounds like you had a nice evening in the parks... how do you find exploring by yourself? I was surprised at how much I like it in Paris, I felt so relaxed and I wasn't fussed about getting on rides and stuff just enjoyed the atmosphere.

OMG I NEED THIS IS MY LIFE!!!! HOW?? WHEN??? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

The 5K sounds so poor! The coral situation is so badly organised and it's horrible having to deal with running traffic right from the start, imagine the backlog that caused further done the line!

What where they thinking with so few stops! We had the same issue in Paris with the 'selfie only' for some photos, it doesn't even make the line go any quicker!!! But at least in Paris there were so many character stops so I didn't stay mad for long.

I am totally with you on not knowing how to pose for pictures, it's a bit easier when there is more than one of you we would try and pose the same for some photos which made it a bit less awkward...

Worth the wait! It's so lovely :love:

They handled your complaint so badly and I think it's so odd that they thought removing characters wouldn't cause a massive backlash??

You got some great character pictures around the parks though!

Your 10k looks like a lot more fun! Those on course photos are great!

AND CHARACTERS!!!! lol
Donald looks adorable! Chip and Dale too!
Aw you look so happy in all the photos :D

THOSE SOCKS!! :eek:

The meet up sounds great, I always feel nervous with these sorts of things that nobody will come!

Even more character pics too... guessing the wait was short??

Also as I'm writing this I can see your lovely face down the bottom with the adverts! So funny!

Shannon.JPG

Finally getting a chance to get caught up!

I was really interested to read your take on the whole 5K debacle. I was following the whole thing on facebook and just couldn't believe it. I have since read quite a bit about what happened, and the reasons they happened, and I'm still just shaking my head at how a company like Disney can mess something up so badly. :sad2: It sounds like it was the end result of many things, including changing from volunteers (who get some nice swag for helping) to using outside companies to pay people to work the race. And of course their lack of character meets was just the nail in the 5K coffin. That whole thing really made me worry that some major changes were happening with rD and not in a good way. I am SO relieved that they got their *stuff* together in time for the 10K! And kudos to you for registering your complaints with a rD person - it is too easy to just go on social media and rant.
The 10K looked like fun! That is always the best course of the weekend in any race, and thank goodness for characters. I love your reaction to seeing Donald!
OH. EM. SQUEEEE. It’s Donald! A classic character in an outfit themed to the race...that's the dream, people.
:rotfl2:

The Dis meet sounds fun! I would be pretty anxious meeting new people but it looks like it was a good time! I love the classic characters in their Hollywood outfits - you look stunning in the lotus top with those mermaid capris! Great pics.

Can't believe we are already to half marathon day! Wondering what woke you up in the middle of the night??:scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter