A Ghostly, Incredible, Totally Wicked Couple of Runs(Plus DATW with DISsers) Marathon Weekend Report

And thanks for helping out so I didn't have to drink all of that nasty sake by myself!
Bahahahahahaha.

Hey, I was only trying to help and make sure we checked off Japan, okay?! ;)

I love that y'all spent part of your anniversary with us! You both are the sweetest! Can't wait to do it all over again at W&D! <3

great recap. And Happy Anniversay. I don't remember if we wished you guys a happy anniversary that day or not. It really was a super fun day, and I want to thank you and all the others for making it fun and not uncomfortable at all. Personally, I had only met a couple of Disers prior to that day, but everyone was really great.

It was great to spend time with you. It was such a fun day!

Lol that FEA photo is pretty funny. You are wide eyed at something!

DATW was so much fun! I don't think it took much coercing for me to share pizza with you. You were definitely the smart one for writing everything down. I don't remember everything I had. Thanks for sharing with me! It really was a great time with great people. If you do make it to wine and dine I owe you a few drinks.

There are times my anal-retentive nature and desire for checklists pays off. Because otherwise I would never remember everything I drank. It's looking pretty good for wine and dine right now, so start saving up! ;)

Love the recap. Brings back great memories. It was awesome to meet you. Sharing the drinks saved me because I had to fly home that night and I had to make sure I wasn't going to be denied boarding. And thanks for helping out so I didn't have to drink all of that nasty sake by myself!

I don't have strong memories about the sake although I remember saying that "it's really not THAT bad" about some of them. LOL

Bahahahahahaha.

Hey, I was only trying to help and make sure we checked off Japan, okay?! ;)

I love that y'all spent part of your anniversary with us! You both are the sweetest! Can't wait to do it all over again at W&D! <3

I appreciate your sacrifice in Japan. I was getting a little befuddled by that point and I might well have missed drinking something there if not for that sake flight!

Can't wait to see you at W&D.

It was great to spend time with you. It was such a fun day!

There are times my anal-retentive nature and desire for checklists pays off. Because otherwise I would never remember everything I drank. It's looking pretty good for wine and dine right now, so start saving up! ;)

I don't have strong memories about the sake although I remember saying that "it's really not THAT bad" about some of them. LOL

I appreciate your sacrifice in Japan. I was getting a little befuddled by that point and I might well have missed drinking something there if not for that sake flight!

Can't wait to see you at W&D.
In my DATW notes I wrote “hot & approachable sake”. I do remember the hot sake was :crazy2: and the “approachable” sake was the cloudy one @jennamfeo bought.

Great photos to finish your lap around World Showcase.

We ate at Skipper Canteen after the marathon at like 4:40. I actually ate almost my whole meal which was not typical after a marathon for me much like you.

You guys looked like you had a ton of fun at DATW. Congrats on your 30th Anniversary, way to top it off with the Mouse Challenge!

I'm very glad you posted the lanyard, because we needed to see the full description of the Moroccan beer, and I don't know if the DIS would have allowed it. That was just a funny moment.

Was great spending some time with you guys at DATW!

Just getting caught up!

Congrats on the big finish! I love that you guys get a photo together in every country. That is the best last mile of any marathon anywhere!

I actually love Skipper Canteen - it's one of my favorite restaurants on property! I always get the falafel and the crew stew - I like that they have some "different" things that aren't typical of most WDW restaurants. I was sorry to miss HEA this trip - we went to MK on Friday and I had the half Saturday morning so I was responsible and went to bed early. Such a great show though! I was never a big Wishes fan (GASP) and I think HEA is a step up for sure!

DATW looks like so much fun! I love that you guys got medals for your endeavor! I can't handle mixing different types of alcohol, and I'm a lightweight anyways, but that looks like a great time was had by all!

I love reading about your DATW adventure -- and the notes on the back of the lanyard were hilarious and surprisingly legible, even 12 countries in. I am tempted to steal this lanyard idea, but I'm only with a group of 3 at Star Wars. Hmmm.

FTR, unfiltered sake is where it’s at.
Based on my small sample, I would completely agree.

Great photos to finish your lap around World Showcase.

We ate at Skipper Canteen after the marathon at like 4:40. I actually ate almost my whole meal which was not typical after a marathon for me much like you.

You guys looked like you had a ton of fun at DATW. Congrats on your 30th Anniversary, way to top it off with the Mouse Challenge!

Thank you! It was a great day at DATW.

I'm very glad you posted the lanyard, because we needed to see the full description of the Moroccan beer, and I don't know if the DIS would have allowed it. That was just a funny moment.

Was great spending some time with you guys at DATW!

I don't know why I was so hyped about that beer. Also, I can't spell Morocco clearly. We'll blame it on the booze. So glad we got to spend more time with you as well.

Just getting caught up!

Congrats on the big finish! I love that you guys get a photo together in every country. That is the best last mile of any marathon anywhere!

I actually love Skipper Canteen - it's one of my favorite restaurants on property! I always get the falafel and the crew stew - I like that they have some "different" things that aren't typical of most WDW restaurants. I was sorry to miss HEA this trip - we went to MK on Friday and I had the half Saturday morning so I was responsible and went to bed early. Such a great show though! I was never a big Wishes fan (GASP) and I think HEA is a step up for sure!

DATW looks like so much fun! I love that you guys got medals for your endeavor! I can't handle mixing different types of alcohol, and I'm a lightweight anyways, but that looks like a great time was had by all!

I loved Wishes, but have found HEA to be a good replacement. We may give Skipper Canteen another try and just order some different items.

I love reading about your DATW adventure -- and the notes on the back of the lanyard were hilarious and surprisingly legible, even 12 countries in. I am tempted to steal this lanyard idea, but I'm only with a group of 3 at Star Wars. Hmmm.

I thought the lanyard was brilliant.

Flying (Flopping) Fish

giphy.gif

This will be a short one. :D

After leaving the crew at the end of DATW, we headed out the International Gateway for the short walk to our room. Have I mentioned how awesome our room location was? ;) We got gussied up a bit (not a lot but a bit) and headed out to walk over to our dinner reservation at Flying Fish.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about this restaurant and I was looking forward to trying it out. I didn’t do a good job of taking pictures in here, so thus, the short report.

I will say that I thought the restaurant was very pretty and it was relatively quiet with an upscale atmosphere. Once seated, we each ordered a glass of wine and settled in to review the menu. I thought the silverware was a nice touch.

]

I’m sure Ariel would really love these dinglehoppers.

We’d had a bit of a late lunch at Via Napoli and between that and the alcohol, neither of us had a huge appetite. We split this salad? Appetizer? I don’t remember what this was. LOL

]

It was good.

I was admiring myself and my new pearl earrings. :D

]

Chris ordered this chicken dish.

]

It was really pretty the way it was plated and I know from watching Top Chef that the way they presented the chicken leg (with the leg exposed) is apparently a difficult technique. Sadly, Chris wasn’t a fan of the flavor. They used some kind of unusual spice on the chicken (he thought it tasted like cinnamon??) that he didn’t like much. I tasted it and thought it was okay, but not very special.

I ordered the Sea Bass.

]

The sea bass itself was delicious as was the sauce, but the vegetables underneath were limp and not very flavorful.

We didn’t have dessert as both of us were pretty much without an appetite at this point but we did enjoy some pressed coffee that was some of the best coffee I’ve had at any restaurant on property.

Overall I was left a bit disappointed. I probably had my expectations set a bit too high after hearing a lot of good reviews, and then maybe just not the best ordering choices left us unimpressed. :(

After dinner, we took a nice easy stroll along the boardwalk and back to our room. We had one more full day at Disney and we’d had a lovely day with friends to celebrate.

I have heard very good things about Flying Fish as well and am a bit surprised but like you said could have had too high of expectations. I do hope to try it someday. Looks like a nice meal overall though!

I have heard very good things about Flying Fish as well and am a bit surprised but like you said could have had too high of expectations. I do hope to try it someday. Looks like a nice meal overall though!

It really was a nice evening and a good, if not great, meal. I definitely think this was about expectations.

Your new earrings are lovely!

I have also heard good things about Flying Fish, but sometimes restaurants have off nights and other times I just don't agree with others' rave reviews ;) But then again... we actually really enjoyed our burgers at Sci-Fi this trip, so most people wouldn't agree with me!

I've never been to Flying Fish, but I've heard good things -- I'm more impressed that y'all were able to go to dinner and remain upright.

Also good job Chris - the earrings are beautiful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter