A free dining, steak-filled Sept. food extravaganza! Final post, 10/25!

It was a Mexican food kinda day it looks like!! I love that La Hacienda offers indoor seating - especially welcome during those hot months. I'm a corn tortilla lover but I could see eating the guts out of the taco with a little squirt of lime juice. Your lunches look great.

I'm not into florally flavored drinks either so that margarita may not have fit my tastes either. I like the chips/salsa at La Hacienda. I know what you mean about the red salsa being smoky. I liked it but I preferred the green salsa.

Ohhhh nutella flavored ice cream.... sounds good. :)

Well, that review just totally confirmed my desire to try La Hacienda! YUMMY!!!!
It was SO good-- food, atmosphere, everything!

Great write ups!

On a side note Zach reminds of Syler from the show Heros. :rotfl:

sylar.png
Thank you! And hahaha-- he gets that a lot!!

Me too! And his name is Zach. Funny!

I'm enjoying the dining reviews very much. Thanks a lot for all the details and great photos.
It is such a coincidence lol. Many people have told him that Zachary Quinto is his celebrity doppelganger!
Thank you!!

It was a Mexican food kinda day it looks like!! I love that La Hacienda offers indoor seating - especially welcome during those hot months. I'm a corn tortilla lover but I could see eating the guts out of the taco with a little squirt of lime juice. Your lunches look great.

I'm not into florally flavored drinks either so that margarita may not have fit my tastes either. I like the chips/salsa at La Hacienda. I know what you mean about the red salsa being smoky. I liked it but I preferred the green salsa.

Ohhhh nutella flavored ice cream.... sounds good. :)
Haha, it was! I didn't even mind eating so much Mexican because dinner and lunch were so different. Equally tasty, though!
Yeah, I think you have to realllly like floral drinks to like the Rosita. The green salsa was good, too.
That ice cream was perfect!

I really need to try La Hacienda!!
I agree, so many good place to eat in Epcot, it's hard to try all of them in one trip!! Haha

Those menus look adorable and like they are sturdy!
Meals sound yummy! I'm not a huge fan of spicy food, but I'm sure I'd find somethin good there.
Desert looked yummy too!

I really need to try La Hacienda!!
I agree, so many good place to eat in Epcot, it's hard to try all of them in one trip!! Haha

Those menus look adorable and like they are sturdy!
Meals sound yummy! I'm not a huge fan of spicy food, but I'm sure I'd find somethin good there.
Desert looked yummy too!
First world problems-- too many good restaurants in Epcot!!! :lmao: I didn't think the food was that spicy, actually. And the service was great, I'm sure they'd alter anything to your taste.

My next review is going to be very short, as I totally forgot to take pictures! We had lunch at Sunshine Seasons on our final full day in Disney (wahhh!). We had eaten here our last trip and loved it-- would it hold up this time? Unfortunately, no…

We both ordered the Mongolian beef, Zach with rice, me with the noodles. My first complaint comes with the reduction in portion--you used to get two sides at the Asian station! I had previously ordered the noodles AND stir fried veggies, which were crisp and delicious and made me feel “healthy.” We both found the beef very sweet, like sickeningly so. Also, there was that intense corn starchy gloopiness that comes along with poorly done Asian sauces. Zach thought his rice was okay, but no where near as fresh and google as the rice at Yakitori House. The noodles were just okay, too.

Sunshine Seasons gets a 4 from both of us. We’ll stick to WS CS options from now on.

And here we come to our final review :-( Technically, this was not our last meal, as we had breakfast the following morning at Roaring Fork. (Here’s a quick review of that: Decent. Would go there again the next time we stay at Wilderness Lodge. Pancakes and waffles were fluffy. Sausage was a bit greasy.) However, it was our final night at Disney, which is always sad!

As we like to spend our last night in the MK, we made a 6:05 ADR at Tony’s Town Square. This place typically gets so-so reviews, which you wouldn’t know from the lobby when we arrived ten minutes before our ADR It was PACKED!

This is the only ADR where we were seated way after our ADR-- we weren’t seated until 6:30. Crazy! We were lead to a corner and my first impression of the restaurant was that it was pretty and casual:

Our waitress was nice enough. We didn’t need to long to look at the menu, and quickly ordered. Not five minutes after we placed our order, our food came out. Augh.

Zach had the spaghetti with meat sauce and sausage:

I should explain something. We are kind of snobs when it comes to Italian food. When you live in the tristate, as we do, you expect good pizza/pasta wherever you go. Not to mention, Zach’s family is Italian and we’re a big fan of Sunday dinner-- Zach makes a big old pot of sauce, which we eat with pasta and bread. It’s wonderful (and lately, has been accompanied by an episodes of The Sopranos!). HOWEVER, while we know good Italian food, we can certainly eat less authentic/more sweet sauces. Thus, Zach thought this was decent.

I had the cannelloni, which is stuffed with cheese and meat, with red sauce and alfredo poured on top:

Can you see how dry those edges are?? I mean obviously, with how quickly our food came out, both dishes were sitting under a heat lamp. It seems like mine was definitely there for longer, however! If I had to use one word to describe this dish, it would be dry: The pasta was dry, as was the filling. Every bite had to be smothered in sauce, which was unfortunate, because the red sauce was a bit too sweet for my liking. I did very much like the alfredo however. I remember reading in someone’s review (not sure whose) that their husband or son got the chicken parm, but with alfredo sauce only. If we go back to Tony’s I think I’ll definitely do that-- not only will I get more of that garlicky, creamy alfredo sauce, but since it’s a custom order, I can guarantee it’ll be freshly made!

We both got the chocolate hazelnut cake for dessert:

I thought again, this was incredibly dry with no discernable hazelnut taste. Zach says he didn’t think it was dry and he enjoyed it.

Zach and I diverge pretty greatly in Tony’s. He’d give it a solid 6-- he did enjoy both the entree and dessert. I’d stick it closer to a 3; pretty much the only thing I realllly liked was that alfredo sauce. That being said, since Zach was a fan and MK restaurants are so limited (already been to BOG and LTT and don’t feel like returning in the near future. No desire to try the Plaza, CRT, or CP), I can imagine trying Tony’s again. Like I said, I’d definitely order something different, however!!

Annnnnd that brings us to the end of our reviews! I really enjoyed sharing with you all. Please stick around for a wrap-up post, which will contain rankings, our favorite courses, etc.

Tony 's is hit or miss sometimes. We haven't been for a while, but last time (whatever I had) was pretty good. LoL

Sad this is almost over ( except for your wrap up!) :(

Tony 's is hit or miss sometimes. We haven't been for a while, but last time (whatever I had) was pretty good. LoL

Sad this is almost over ( except for your wrap up!) :(
That's why I'm willing to give Tony's another try-- I have heard of people loving certain things!

Wrap-Up Post!!

First I want to say thank you to everyone who read and commented on my DR! This is my favorite section of the DIS and I love reading others’ reviews, so I hope mine were somewhat enjoyable!

This post is going to be kind of a hodgepodge of info. If you have any questions about anything, please let me know!

Favorite Snack:
Zach: Upside down caramel macchiato at Main Street Bakery, Magic Kingdom
He’s so happy to get his favorite Starbucks treat in Disney now!

Kylie: Hazelnut ice cream in a waffle cone at L’Artisan de Glaces, Epcot
This was refreshing and had the perfect flavor. A must-do from now on!

Favorite Counter Service Entree:
Zach: Feast at Three Broomsticks, Islands of Adventure (Universal)
The portion was huge for the price and everything tasted fresh and well-seasoned.

Kylie: Pork nachos at Captain Cook’s, the Poly
The scallops at Cooke’s of Dublin a very close runner up, but I loved the uniqueness of this dish, how it fit the theme of the Poly, and all of the contrasting flavors.

Least Favorite Counter Service Entree:
Zach: Mongolian beef at Sunshine Seasons, Epcot
Kylie: Mongolian beef at Sunshine Seasons, Epcot
Way too sweet/processed tasting.

Favorite Counter Service Dessert:
Zach: Chocolate cake at Pecos Bill, Magic Kingdom
We both love these rich, moist little cakes!

Kylie: Dole Whip at Captain Cook’s, the Poly
Yum! I love that I was able to get a Dole Whip without using a snack credit!

Least Favorite Counter Service Dessert:
Zach: Chocolate chip cookie at Cooke’s of Dublin, Downtown Disney
Kylie: Chocolate chip cookie at Cooke’s of Dublin, Downtown Disney
To be fair, we didn’t eat these. However, anything that completely soaks a paper bag to the point of translucence in the span of 20 minutes can’t be good!

Favorite Counter Service, Overall:
Zach: Three Broomsticks, Islands of Adventure (Universal)
He loved his food and the great atmosphere. A total home-run.

Kylie: Captain Cook’s, the Poly
I hate to be repetitive, but I really enjoyed myself here! The food was fantastic, the theming was nice, and I love visiting the Poly!

Least Favorite Counter Service, Overall:
Zach:
Sunshine Seasons, Epcot
Kylie: Sunshine Seasons, Epcot
The cutting back to one side, plus the poor food quality has bumped this to the bottom of list. The ample AC’d seating is pretty much the only plus.

Favorite Table Service Entree:
Zach:
Pork from the carvery at Biergarten, Epcot
The carver gave Zach his favorite part of a roast-- the crispy end bit. It was crackly, salty, and delicious!

Kylie: Sauerbraten at Biergarten, Epcot
This was just delicious. Super tender with a great, rich sauce.

Least Favorite Table Service Entree:
Zach:
Serious Steak at Raglan Road, Downtown Disney
He says that while cooked to order, this steak was dry and of poor quality.

Kylie: Cannelloni at Tony’s Town Square, Magic Kingdom.
This was incredible dry and clearly under a heat lamp for too long. Ick.

Favorite Table Service Side:
Zach: Chorizo at La Hacienda, Epcot
I’m not sure if these count as a side dish necessarily, but that’s what he says. He loved them!

Kylie: Truffle mac and cheese at Yachtsman Steakhouse, Yacht Club
I only wish I could have finished this deliciousness. Super creamy, with pungent cheeses, the perfect textural different with the fried onions, and just enough truffle oil. Honorable mention goes to the truffle fries from the same meal!

Least Favorite Table Service Side:
Zach: Mashed potatoes at Raglan Road, Downtown Disney
These had a weird texture/taste.

Kylie: Spatzle at Biergarten, Epcot
These just taste mushy and flavorless to me-- I don’t know what I’m missing, as I know a lot of people love them.

Favorite Table Service Dessert:
Zach:
Chocolate trio at Yachtsman Steakhouse, Yacht Club
He loves desserts with peanuts or peanut butter and this was great, although not as good as the chocolate trio he had here in 2009. Honorable mention goes to the almond cake at Raglan Road.

Kylie: Bread pudding at Raglan Road, Downtown Disney
This put my previous favorite Disney dessert, Ohana's bread pudding, to shame. So rich and delicious!

Least Favorite Table Service Dessert:
Zach: Cupcake at Be Our Guest, Magic Kingdom
This was just sort of blah. Not special in any way, although not bad. Zach got lucky and really loved most of his desserts!

Kylie: Chocolate hazelnut cake at Tony’s Town Square, Magic Kingdom
Dry with no real hazelnut taste.

Favorite Table Service, Overall:
Zach:
Biergarten, Epcot
Kylie: Biergarten, Epcot
Pretty much everything about this meal was perfect.

Least Favorite Table Service, Overall:
Zach: Raglan Road, Downtown Disney
Zach wasn’t a fan of the service or food beyond the dessert or appetizer

Kylie: Tony’s Town Square
The long wait for a table, plus the dry food made this meal pretty eh in my book.

Best Drink:
Zach: Butterbeer at a kiosk in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Islands of Adenture
This is a butterscotch-y, cream soda like drink that’s super delicious and nowhere near as sweet at LeFou’s Brew!

Kylie: Hog’s Head Brew at Hog’s Head Pub, Islands of Adventure
This was super hard! I loved both flights I got (Biergarten & Raglan Road), but this beer gets its for its uniqueness. The fact that I can only get it in the WWoHP makes it extra-special. It was so delicious!

Best Service:
Zach: Sandra at Biergarten-- she was super sweet and great at refilling his coffee without him even needing to ask.
Kylie: Stewart at Trout Pass Bar-- I didn’t cover this here, but we stopped at Trout Pass for drinks twice. Stewart was the most delightful Brit who made an AMAZING grand margarita. He was so much fun to talk to!

Best Morsel Eaten:
Zach: Dalkey Duo at Raglan Road, Downtown Disney
This was an OOP appetizer and totally worth the expense. The batter was peppery and crispy, and the sausages were piping hot and perfectly cooked through. (Zach didn’t eat the Dalkey mustard, but I dipped the sausages in it and it was delicious!!)

Kylie: Nudel gratin at Biergarten, Epcot
It’s a struggle between this and the mac and cheese at Yachtsman, but this was soooo good! The perfect comfort food!

Counter Service, Ranked by Zach:
1. Three Broomsticks
2. Katsura Grill
3. Cooke’s of Dublin
4. Pecos Bill
5. Captain Cook’s
6. Pizza Planet
7. Sunshine Seasons

Counter Service, Ranked by Kylie:
1. Captain Cook’s
2. Cooke’s of Dublin
3. La Cantina de San Angel
4. Pecos Bill
5. Three Broomsticks
6. Pizza Planet
7. Sunshine Seasons

Table Service, Ranked by Zach:
1. Biergarten
2. Yachtsman Steakhouse (based on food only!)
3. Be Our Guest
4. La Hacienda de San Angel
5. Tony’s Town Square
6. Raglan Road

Table Service, Ranked by Kylie:
1. Biergarten
2. Yachtsman Steakhouse (again, based on food ONLY!)
3. La Hacienda de San Angel
4. Raglan Road
5. Be Our Guest
6. Tony’s Town Square

Definite Repeats: Biergarten!
Maybe Repeats: La Hacienda de San Angel, Tony’s Town Square
Never Again (or not for a really, really, really long time!): Yachtsman Steakhouse, Be Our Guest

Annnnd that’s it, folks! Thank you all so much for reading!

Ah - so sad your reviews are over. :(

Sorry your final Disney meal was less than stellar. I am always tempted to try Tony's, but the reviews are never great. It looks so pretty from the pictures that I suppose we will try it one day for the atmosphere and to stifle a pasta craving if nothing else. :laughing:

Just starting to read dining reviews again, yours was great, thanks!!! :thumbsup2 Just reminds me again the DH and I have to make it back to the world!

Really enjoyed your food report - this is the first one I've read! :goodvibes

Emma princess: x

Ah - so sad your reviews are over. :(

Sorry your final Disney meal was less than stellar. I am always tempted to try Tony's, but the reviews are never great. It looks so pretty from the pictures that I suppose we will try it one day for the atmosphere and to stifle a pasta craving if nothing else. :laughing:

Thank you for all your reviews and your wonderful final post. :goodvibes

Just starting to read dining reviews again, yours was great, thanks!!! :thumbsup2 Just reminds me again the DH and I have to make it back to the world!

Thanks for the great reviews. We ate at most of the same restaurants last month that you did and enjoyed them all.

Thank you so much, everyone!! It was a pleasure to write this DR, so I'm glad some people read and enjoyed it!

Nice reviews :)
Helps put meals/places I've never eaten at in a perspective of trying them or not :)

Three Broomsticks looks so good! With the cm's preventing you from sitting without food and then seating you, does it make it less crowded in there? It was so crowded everywhere in Hogsmeade! I know it's done so well and HP is so great...but it was hard to enjoy it all bumping elbows with everyone all over the place! Although, since it was so hard to browse, it probably saved me quite a few galleons! ;)

Also...what exactly is in a cornish pasty? Is it just the ground beef or are there a few other things? I'm not too familiar with meat pies, except chicken pot pies so I don't know what would really be inside!

Sounds like you really hit it out of the park with your Epcot CS choices! I'm glad they were all successes!

The Rosita looks very pretty! But unfortunately I'm not into floral flavors very much either. I love margaritas...I love that there's so much you can do with them, but the standard ways are pretty great! The rest of the meal sounds like it was great! I feel like Mexican can be done so well or so cheaply and so I'm usually pretty scared to try new places, but it sounds like we may have to head over there sometime!

Love your reviews! So sad it's over! When's the next trip? :lmao:

Nice reviews :)
Helps put meals/places I've never eaten at in a perspective of trying them or not :)
I love reading about place I've never considered-- that's how we decided on Artist Point in 2011. It wasn't on my radar until I read a review that had a pic of the glorious pork belly-- I was sold, and it ended up being our favorite meal of the trip! Just one of the many reasons I love these boards!

Three Broomsticks looks so good! With the cm's preventing you from sitting without food and then seating you, does it make it less crowded in there? It was so crowded everywhere in Hogsmeade! I know it's done so well and HP is so great...but it was hard to enjoy it all bumping elbows with everyone all over the place! Although, since it was so hard to browse, it probably saved me quite a few galleons! ;)

Also...what exactly is in a cornish pasty? Is it just the ground beef or are there a few other things? I'm not too familiar with meat pies, except chicken pot pies so I don't know what would really be inside!

Sounds like you really hit it out of the park with your Epcot CS choices! I'm glad they were all successes!

The Rosita looks very pretty! But unfortunately I'm not into floral flavors very much either. I love margaritas...I love that there's so much you can do with them, but the standard ways are pretty great! The rest of the meal sounds like it was great! I feel like Mexican can be done so well or so cheaply and so I'm usually pretty scared to try new places, but it sounds like we may have to head over there sometime!

Love your reviews! So sad it's over! When's the next trip? :lmao:
Hogshead didn't feel too crowded, but Three Broomsticks did, if only because the tables are just SO close together.
The cornish pasties were just fried meat pies with ground meat and minced potatoes/herbs. So simple and so yummy!
Yeah, the Rosita was a case of a drink looking a lot prettier than it tasted. Zach is SUPER picky and he loved La Hacienda, so I'd definitely give it a try!
Thanks for reading, girl!

i know this is late but i just stumbled upon your reviews. i have to ask, how is the upside down caramel macchiato made??

i know this is late but i just stumbled upon your reviews. i have to ask, how is the upside down caramel macchiato made??

Hi! So the idea with the upside down caramel macchiato is that the shots of espresso are in the bottom of the cup, instead of poured on top. According to Zach, this means you taste the espresso all the way through/it mixes better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter