A Delightfully Complicated Situation

TheSilverTherapist

The Geekiest Guy You've Ever Met
In September my wife and are going to WDW with my family. They're DVC members and are springing for the room. We just have to pay for our own airfare and tickets, which is awesome.

The one problem revolves around the dining plan. My parents are not intending to get the DDP and were informed by DVC that either everyone in the room has too get the dining plan or no one can. And clearly we can't do a package with the dining plan since we're only buying tickets from Disney, not a room.

Is there any way for just my wife and I to get the DDP? There are a bunch of restaurants we'd like to try that we otherwise can't afford.

The DDP has to be purchased as part of a package, i.e. room + DDP. You can't get the DDP without the room. But if you really want to do the DDP that much, and you want to be the most beloved member of your family, you could offer to buy the DDP for everyone. That way you get what you want and you pay them back for the use of the room. :)

The DDP has to be purchased as part of a package, i.e. room + DDP. You can't get the DDP without the room. But if you really want to do the DDP that much, and you want to be the most beloved member of your family, you could offer to buy the DDP for everyone. That way you get what you want and you pay them back for the use of the room. :)

Dvc members do not have to buy a Disney Pkg, or even tickets. Members can just purchase the dining plan .OP as far as I know if the Members don't want the DP then there is no way for you to get it.

If there are 4 of you that want the DDP you could book a Free Dining package at a value resort for less then what the DDP costs.

Couldn't you pay for everyone to be on the DDP and then just use the credits for yourselves. All the credits should be on everyones KTTW card.

You would end up with a lot of credits, but then you could also do 2 TS meals a day.

when in sept are you going? if you opted out of the family's offer to put you up in their dvc room and stayed at a value you could get the dining plan for FREE! it would save you money to do it that way if there are more than just the two of you... for two adults it's almost break-even...

A Value room for two people, with Free Dining, would cost $92.20 per night.
The Dining Plan for four people would cost $156 per night.
The Dining Plan for two people (for reference only, OP not eligible under existing conditions) would cost $78 per night.
But the OP states that the Dining Plan is the only way he and his wife can afford to eat at the restaurants they want. That's not necessarily true. Careful spending can probably allow them to eat at all the restaurants they choose, combined with eating some meals in the DVC unit, for WELL under the $78.

If you're all on the same reservation you all have to get the dining plan. The plan can't be purchased for just a couple of people on the reservation.

You'd have to have your own reservation to get the plan. Were your parents planning to have everyone in a 2 bedroom or something, or can they book you a studio on a separate reservation? Or, do what the previous posters have suggested...bow out of the DVC room share and get yourself a free dining package at a value resort. But then you might incur the wrath of the parents for turning their offer down.

What I was saying is to book a value room for 4 people. Check in at the value but stay at the DVC.

What I was saying is to book a value room for 4 people. Check in at the value but stay at the DVC.

I've heard of people doing this. But if there's only two of them, they should either book the room for two people or probably make sure they bring four people with them to check in. Most reports are that Disney randomly requires all guests be present at check-in during free dining to keep people from booking rooms with phantom children between ages 10 and 17 (who get adult dining credits but don't pay the extra adult in the room charge) to get extra free dining credits. And they'd still have to buy at least a one-day ticket for everyone they register.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter