A bit bored at the Studios

With RD, eating at Mama Melrose, and doing TSM, GMR, and Star Tours in 2017 we still had time to take a 2hr nap at the resort and make it back for Little Mermaid, explore Launch Bay and M&Gs, and watch Star Wars fireworks. Granted DD8 wasn't sure about RnRC or ToT that time, is wasn't an extremely long day. I will say shows ending earlier in the day makes midday breaks a bit harder. The last hour was spent just sitting around waiting.

'Toddler Rides'? Alien Swirling Saucers and........?

I hate to tell you, but if you think Toy Story Mania and Slinky Dog are 'Toddler Rides', then you will likely be disappointed in all of the Disney Parks. Toddlers are not even allowed on TOT, RNR, and Star Tours.
I think you named 2 good rides . I’m referring to Disney junior , frozen song along, Lightning McQueen, alien saucers etc. For reference , we have been to WDW dozens of times including opening day MGM so we do know the parks very well and currently DHS is underwhelming . I have no doubt that once GE opens this will change but there is too much construction in this park to make it overly worth my families time. I’m totally willing to concede other families mileage varies .

DHS has always been a lower key park for us, which was often a welcome break after a crazy busy day at MK, for instance. :) We've always plugged DHS into our schedule wherever we thought we'd have an extra busy day the day before and/or after it. Now, since we haven't yet seen TSL, and SWGE will be open by the time we go next year (as well as hopefully Runaway Railway, too) we're probably not going to be able to count on DHS as our "easy park day" as much.

I agree with OP. It's a half day park for us even with TSL open. I really dislike the dance parties (seems like a cheap 'attraction' and they've often been poorly attended when we've passed by them). We don't do Meet & Greets - lots of time spent standing in lines - unless we have star struck kids with us who really want to do it. Shows have been the same for years so no great appeal there. SDD FP was a no go when we tried for it, same for the Alien Swirling Saucers. And, the food choices at this park are 'meh' (we miss Starring Rolls, Writers Stop...). So we do a few things, look around and say, 'On to another park!'
Maybe GE will help extend our stay next year.

We used to love DHS as well and are now struggling to find enough to fill a day. We will have a few half days there, but only because my kids want to ride TSMM as much as possible. The attractions are limited, even more so now that some things are closed. Hoping we can get some good FPs for TSMM and get some extras once we use our three, but not holding my breath.

Didn't know Beauty and the Beast was closed- anyone know when it will reopen?

Have to agree with the OP. We rope-dropped in August and saw all of TSL before the park "opened". My two older kids and I then rode the other 3 rides (RnRC, ToT, ST) in about an hour as the crowds arrived. We then met back up with my wife and younger daughter at the entrance to TSL...and decided to take a DVC tour because we were running out of things to do. We then went back to the hotel pool, then came back to the park, had lunch and saw everything else. At that point we then toured around and did all the meet and greets (lines are non-existent for all M&G's later in the day BTW).

So to be fair, we didn't wait in any of the lines when they got long so could have done that and re-rode the rides, and I don't think we say the IJ show, but certainly could have fit that in easily if we hadn't left for 1/2 the day. Let's get real here though; most people also are not doing ALL of the M&G's and I know we would have skipped them if we had not gotten bored. We did get our holiday card pictures from that day so we did make the best of it.

For those clamoring for a 5'th gate, sorry, but Animal Kingdom and Epcot aren't much better.

I wouldn't say that. You just have to appreciate HS, AK and EPCOT at a different pace. Until at least one of these parks is a legitimate, multi-day park (say 15-20 rides), I just don't see the need for a 5'th park.
Disney parks have always been this way to a degree though. It's about the ambiance, food, impromptu "on stage" performances outside, shows/night time spectaculars. They never really jam rides in left and right. It's not meant to be a Six Flags type of place. That being said, I completely agree that Epcot and HS are currently incomplete in their current state. Howecver, I do think a 5th gate would be better than adding more attractions to existing parks. Obviously Epcot Future World needs a complete overhaul and HS needs to get GE and Runaway Railway open. After that though, I think the parks would feel pretty complete. I feel like AK is okay though? Interesting that you brought that park into this conversation (I totally understand Epcot and even HS).

Agree, but it depends on the ages of those in your party. My husband and I are going to do EMM for Toy Story land and then do FPs on RNRC, Star Tours, and watch Indiana Jones at 11:30 and then we’re out. The other shows and meet and greets hold zero appeal for us (while they would to others, of course). We’ll head over to World Showcase and spend our afternoon sampling the food and beverages there.
This is exactly what we did. Left by noon and felt like we hit everything we had any interest in. Now we did hop back over one night about 7:30 with our 4th fast pass for RNR and had great luck refreshing and getting both TOT and RNR.

It's also a half-day park for me. I liked DHS better in its earlier (MGM) years, and really miss the Great Movie Ride. Now I go mainly for Sci Fi Dine In, TSMM, and sometimes Walt Disney Presents. Not into Star Wars, and there just aren't a lot of things in this park that appeal to me.

For what’s its worth, I’m a vegetarian (mostly!) and I had the no meat spaghetti and meatballs at 50’s Primetime and it was excellent
I'm not vegetarian, but I once had that dish there and it was awesome! Recently I haven't seen it on their menu anymore. Have they brought it back? I'd visit 50s Prime Time again if they would have that!

I feel like AK is okay though? Interesting that you brought that park into this conversation (I totally understand Epcot and even HS).

I like AK, but I do feel that it could use a few more rides, and a better nighttime show than Rivers of Light. Maybe the new version is better, but I was very underwhelmed by the original one.

Disney parks have always been this way to a degree though. It's about the ambiance, food, impromptu "on stage" performances outside, shows/night time spectaculars. They never really jam rides in left and right. It's not meant to be a Six Flags type of place. That being said, I completely agree that Epcot and HS are currently incomplete in their current state. Howecver, I do think a 5th gate would be better than adding more attractions to existing parks. Obviously Epcot Future World needs a complete overhaul and HS needs to get GE and Runaway Railway open. After that though, I think the parks would feel pretty complete. I feel like AK is okay though? Interesting that you brought that park into this conversation (I totally understand Epcot and even HS).

Isn't it really only WDW that has parks like that though? HS, AK, and Epcot are the 3 lowest ride count parts for Disney if I am not mistaken. Possibly Studio's Park in Disneyland Paris has less?

That being said I agree that a 5th gate would be better than overfilling the existing parks without major changes to the park layouts. I also think the sky gondola is going to help with allowing people to get from AK to HS more easily (if they do the expansion).

If the attendance goes up like they expect the 5th gate will also help spread out the crowds as well.

RNRR
ToT
Beauty and the Beast
Lightning McQueens Racing Academy
Frozen Sing a Long
Star Tours
Indiana Jones
Launch Bay (3 meet and greets and a video attraction)
Disney Jr. meet and greets
Disney Jr. Dance Party
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Meet Mike and Sully
Slinky Dog Dash
Alien Saucers
TSMM
Meet Toy Story characters
Incrediberg Dance Party (and num num cookies)
Muppets

Assuming you spent 30 minutes at each one, that's an 9 hour day
Add in Fantasmic, the Star Wars stage shows, meal breaks, longer lines, shopping, bathroom breaks, I do not see how this is a 1/2 day park, unless you are just intentionally skipping half of the park

I actually think your post proves his point that it’s essentially a meet and greet park right now. IMO, taking pictures with characters is not an attraction, and they’ve added those in place of actual rides/shows.

We’re going to RD it, leave for a swim break midday and then come back for Fantasmic. In that time, we can hit all the actual rides.

I agree with OP. We are all adults now and do not do meet and greets.
We like rides and rarely watch shows. Even so, we have seen most shows here enough. I love RnR and the kids (grown ones) like ToT. We all like TSM and usually do Star Tours because we are there and it is easy to do without a FP., so why not? And then we are done and it is time to go eat lunch somewhere else. lol. We will do SDD someday, I am sure. Going at the end of August for basically a long weekend, so will not go anywhere near then Studios since we arrive the night the SW stuff opens. I love the things I like in this park, but if ToT or RnR breaks down while we are there I always swear I am never wasting a park day on HS when I am do not have hoppers. :-)

RNRR
ToT
Beauty and the Beast
Lightning McQueens Racing Academy
Frozen Sing a Long
Star Tours
Indiana Jones
Launch Bay (3 meet and greets and a video attraction)
Disney Jr. meet and greets
Disney Jr. Dance Party
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Meet Mike and Sully
Slinky Dog Dash
Alien Saucers
TSMM
Meet Toy Story characters
Incrediberg Dance Party (and num num cookies)
Muppets

Assuming you spent 30 minutes at each one, that's an 9 hour day
Add in Fantasmic, the Star Wars stage shows, meal breaks, longer lines, shopping, bathroom breaks, I do not see how this is a 1/2 day park, unless you are just intentionally skipping half of the park

Plus the Citizens of Hollywood!

I could easily spend a day just watching Evie Starlight,Jack Diamond and the rest of the gang!

AK needs another land, I choke on saying zootopia, but it could be done in a great way and face it dinoland never took off. Still waiting for an Indy land! Since the original mythical beast idea was stolen (makes me sad), there’s no chance that comes up. I’m with Rohde though, you don’t have to shovel IP to make great product.

Epcot still needs some love but I feel most of the magic there is in the world showcase and the rest is for side entertainment. There’s a couple great rides but it’s billed more as the cultural melting pot that can be experienced without a passport.

Also with HS they need one more land above TSL that connects that area to RnR. That would complete the flow in the park.

I agree with the original poster. We were bored in HS by about 2pm on our last trip. We may be at just the "wrong age" for the park, but the attractions seem pretty thin on the ground. At 9 and 10, my kids have no interest in the preschool stuff or meet and greets, and the shows are okay, but not spectacular. They remembered them from our last trip 2 years ago and there was nothing they were begging to do again. Everything else had long waits, so once we were done our fastpasses, it was either stand in a line or wander around a not terribly visually appealing park.

Epcot has the World Showcase, and since we've been to all the countries there we can easily fill a day poking around the pavilions and exploring. Just chatting with the cast members from different countries can be fascinating. Animal Kingdom has the animal side to it; if you've done all the rides you can spend hours doing all the Junior Ranger activities or even just talking to the keepers and learning about the animals. The two big shows at AK are also far superior to any of the offerings at HS as well.

Sorry HS fans, we'll see what Galaxy's Edge brings to the table, but for now our family considers HS to be one big dud.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter