8/17 Solotrip-DL and DCA in 1 day

angiepharm

Earning My Ears
I've posted on the forum for about the past month, after deciding to do a solotrip to DL, while in California for a friends bday in Hollywood. I arrived on Thursday night on 8/16 into LAX. I initially was going to ride uber of lyft, from LAX to Anaheim, but the prices were ~$80 one way. I ended up coming across a supershuttle stand, who was heading down to DL hotel, and was only $19. Took supershuttle, and I was the 2nd drop off point. I met another solo DL visitor, who was visiting from Malaysia, and was nervous. during the ride, i shared the pointers I'd learned from my research. He was concerned about his phone, and data, and needing a sim card. I discussed buying a prepaid card, the sucky wifi, and about getting a prepaid credit card also. he seemed grateful for the help, and it made the time go by quick.

I stayed at the four points Sheraton hotel, after getting a priceline deal for $101. No issues with check-in, even though I arrived around 1030pm. The outside, pool, and lobby were very nice. However, upon arriving to my room, there was standing water in the bathroom. I had to travel back down, to be reassigned a different room. The rooms were "okay". no real issues, no bugs, they were very motelish though. but since I just needed someone to sleep it was fine. I got out my clothes, and prepared for the next day. I wanted to do rope drop, so I planned to be there ~8am.

I ended up waking up at 5am, and was able to lounge around and take my time. I called a lyft to bring me to the DL gates, due to a knee injury/pain from ~2 weeks ago while exercising. The lyft was quick, but didn't know where to drop me off so he took me to the garage/parking area. This was actually a good idea, b/c we took the trams to the park entrance, so minimal walking. I'd bought my ticket on the app the prior night, along with park hopper, and maxpass, so I could get the pics. No lines to get in, I arrived, ~855am, and heard the announcements. I got delayed trying to purchase the rose gold mickey ears and her seeing my wdw passholder card and trying to get me a discount. the lady would not let me leave. :-(, she wanted to figure out a way to get me the discount and we had to wait on the supervisor. I appreciated her tenacity, but I told her it was fine, and I would pay the regular price, but she wouldn't let it go. this delayed by about 10 minutes.

I wanted to ride alice first, but it was down, I ended up riding mad tea party, mr toads, pinnochio, and snow white. the last 3 are essentially the same ride with different themes to me, and not appropriate for small kids. I was scared with mr toads, it was very "intense", and the little girl behind me on snow white, was crying and screaming half way through. I was done with my fantasyland rides ~950am. I then got a 1010am fast pass for Indiana jones, and decided to try out pirates. Pirates was okay, I don't get the hype, but im glad I experienced it. I LOVED INDIANA JONES!! that is easily my fave Disney ride period. the fast pass line went pretty quick. by this time it was ~1115am, and I decided to head over to DCA to see Black Panther. I took the train to main street, which was a nice experience. I tried to see captain America first, but was told the line was cut off, and he wouldn't return until 1245pm. I was a bit upset, b/c it was only 1120am, and per his time slots, he was supposed to be there 1115-1145pm. it wasn't a super long line, so I wasn't sure why they cut it off after 5 minutes. so now, I had 40 minutes to burn waiting for BP. I decided to sit and wait, while listening to the childrens choir perform. I was the first in line for BP, at 12pm, then headed towards bugs land, rode the lady bugs, then returned to wait on captain America. He was late, and didn't arrive until ~110pm. Then decided, I might as well wait for spiderman, who was scheduled to come at 130pm. I then returned to bugs land to ride heimlichs, and then go to radiator springs at cars land. I had a 230pm fastpass for radiator springs. I decided to ride maeters and luigis first, then headed to radiator springs. that was super fun, and along with Indy are my top 2 fave rides.

I then headed over to Pixar pier, to catch the incredibles, b/c this was their last times of the day. I got in line for mrs incredible, but they'd cut off her line a few people in front of me. I ended up seeing frozone, mr incredible, and edna mode back to back. I then headed back to radiator springs, did single rider line this time, and then indy for the 2nd time. those are the first rides I've ever done back to back on. by this time, its around 6pm, and time for me to go. I called the uber, headed back to my hotel, to catch the supershuttle back to the airport to meet my friends who were arriving. they were picking up a rental car, so it was easier and cheaper to meet them back at the airport.

All in all, I had a lot of fun. I got my must see characters for pics. I didn't get everyone I wanted, but that's fine. I rode ALL the rides I wanted to ride. so I think it was success. I also used the tip about the tiki room dole whip, even though its closed, everyone was standing in the one line, while the otherside was empty. I also tried a churo, and ate at the Mexican resteraunt. I wanted to try the lemon ice cream, but the line was toooo long.

also being that I have more experience with WDW, being that I live in florida. California was still hot! lol I was confused seeing people with long sleeve shirts and jackets, b/c I was sweating bullets. lol. Also, I can see the laid back feel, which for some I can see being offputting. I'd read a couple of stories of Wdw vets complaining about the Cast members, and I could see the difference. it wasn't bad, just noticeable. most of the characters I saw were very very late. like, some like captain America were ~15-20 minutes late. black panther and spiderman were late as well. I did notice many of the cast members huddled together talking and joking among each other, and a few complaining about other co-workers. Also, I think WDW transports you to being immersed in Disney, so you would typically not see that. also, I noticed all the construction going on, and it just looked like a construction zone in many areas. Im not sure I have ever noticed that at wdw. anyways, just noticeable differences.

Thanks for your trip report. Indiana Jones is one of my favorites. Radiator Springs Racers is another one of my favorites. I'm glad you had a fun trip.

Sounds like a really great time. I am thinking my first DLR attraction will be Mr. Toad!

The more I learn about DLR churros, the better they sound. Did you enjoy them??

Sounds like a really great time. I am thinking my first DLR attraction will be Mr. Toad!

The more I learn about DLR churros, the better they sound. Did you enjoy them??
They were okay. I like to experience things for myself, but they were okay. They didn’t wow me but they weren’t bad either if that makes sense. Mr toad was an experience, again something I’m glad to say I did but I can’t say I would ride again. I absolutely loved Indiana Jones and radiator springs. Like I could’ve done those two all day long lol the other two cars rides were super fun also

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!