7/9/11 - Summer Magic in the Med

MaryJaneP. I hope you decide to join us. Everything you buy through Disney on the ship including shore excursions is in dollars. Everything you buy while on shore is going to be in euro's. I'd estimate the number of euro's you'll spend and get from a bank here before your trip.

Everywhere off the ship is Euros except for Tunis I forget what they use. We just guessed at how much we needed the first time and then when we got back in Atlanta we exchanged the Euro's back for dollars.
MaryJaneP I hope you join us on this cruise. Our first cruise was on the Magic the first time they went to the Med and it was a wonderful experience and the reason that we fell in love with DCL.

Melissa

Thanks for replies. $ is obviously a concern. Our travel agent also said some of the excursions are physically taxing (Rome = 11 1/2 hours) as well as expensive. If you had to rate excursions 1st, 2nd, etc, how would they fall and are there any particular reasons (cost, exhaustion)?

Airfare is finally up for the length of time we needed. More days for us this time do to pre and post stays but airfare is less than half what it was in 07. I am thinking about shipping our luggage over this time. Avoid any chance of it getting lost and extra fees if we go over the one checked bag per a person which I know we will. At least with Fed Ex I got confirmation that it is delivered.

Excursions are exhausting and expensive. We know in Rome alone we are looking at a 13hr day. Our favorite saying is we can sleep when we are dead right now we are too busy living. We nicknamed the last med cruise the butt crack of dawn cruise because we were up before the sun. To keep things inexpensive we are only doing 4 whole day excursions Best of Rome, Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri, Florence and Michelangelo and, Monaco, Eze and Monte carol. for the other ports we will be on our own or will do a half day trip which are a lot cheaper. You could do all the ports on your own or arrange excursions with a company other than Disney and this would also make them less expensive.

Melissa

oh wow I didn't realize it could be THAT long...it will be hard for me to keep our trip relaxing, which is why we love cruising, and see all that I want to see! My oldest DD, Taylor and I could be on the go all day, my DH and youngest DD, Preston and Paige, tend to like a slower pace and are content watching movies and eating room service :teeth: i say 'divide and conquer!'

on airfare -- I would really appreciate advice...when to book? expected costs? expected flight durations? we will be flying out of columbus, ohio

Jeff -- how do you prefer to get family photos? email? should i post like on photobucket?

oh wow I didn't realize it could be THAT long...it will be hard for me to keep our trip relaxing, which is why we love cruising, and see all that I want to see! My oldest DD, Taylor and I could be on the go all day, my DH and youngest DD, Preston and Paige, tend to like a slower pace and are content watching movies and eating room service :teeth: i say 'divide and conquer!'

on airfare -- I would really appreciate advice...when to book? expected costs? expected flight durations? we will be flying out of columbus, ohio

Jeff -- how do you prefer to get family photos? email? should i post like on photobucket?

I've been told on airfare to wait till after Christmas because people are buying tickets for Christmas gifts. That has been true with our trips to Europe. Prices seem to get better after the holidays. I'd be glad to add it to our airfare watch page on the website if you'd like. What airport are you flying from?

On the photos - just send them to me in an instant message.

Thanks
Jeff

On airfare we will be waiting till at least February the prices seem to go down then. Last time we booked right before the cruise because we booked the cruise last minute and even though we paid a lot for our tickets compared to others we still got them cheaper.

Melissa

OhMom, our daughters were 15 and 13 when we went to the med in 07 and they both absolutely loved it. My wife and I were worried about them getting too tired, but they both did great. We choose this trip for the sea day in between Rome and Spezia. It is a nice catch up day. We're excited to introduce our 18 year old to Palo's as well. We should find a way to get them talking. My daughter is a 4th year Spanish student and would have loved that trip to Spain.

Jeff

Hello all! Just booked this cruise tonight!
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Sooooo exicted...will write more later! Can't wait to get to know you all!!!

O.k. we are booked. Looking at airfare, it is going to be a pricey cruise.

I am Dawn and my daughter is 13. We are excited about traveling in Europe on Disney. I just booked this cruise while sailing on the Wonder.

I need to go back and read all the older posts.

It's exciting to have more disboard memebers.

Dawn - What current incentives were offered to book on-board?

Thanks
Jeff

:welcome: newcomers!

we will be flying out of Columbus, OH -- CMH --:thanks:

will get some pics soon...i'm on wrong compputer now :teeth:

Welcome everyone new!:wave2:

We are planning on flying out of Atlanta. It is a 4 hour drive from here but has the cheapest airfare so far and is the closest place for us to get a direct flight. I would really like for my luggage to actually make it to Barcelona and fear connecting flights.
1o more months to go!

Melissa

It's exciting to have more disboard memebers.

Dawn - What current incentives were offered to book on-board?

Thanks
Jeff

They offered 20% off Platinum discount and onboard credit. No where does it state the amount I was told. I am trusting the guy that booked it onboard for me. We are doing a back to back on this cruise.

Can't wait to start looking at airfares and hotels pre cruise. So far, everything seems quite expensive.

Thanks for the info. You're doing back to back med cruises? That would be awesome.

I am pretty excited about it. I can't wait to start checking out and researching the ports we are stopping in.

I'm hearing that traveling over on the same day as embarkation is not the best because of jet lag. Suggestions vary from arriving one (1) up to even three (3) days ahead to reset the body clock.

Your thoughts on this?

Also, where have people stayed and do you recommend?

Thanks

I think it depends whether or not you are used to traveling long distances or not. Last time we went over one day ahead and it was not early enough. Not enough time to see what we wanted to see and not enough time to get over the jet lag. I would not wait until the day to get there for ne it is cutting it to close and too many things can go wrong. Last time we stayed at the Grand Marina which was very nice this time we are staying at the Hilton becasue all 3 of us can stay in one room.

Melissa

ohmom.... I got your pictures and will get them added to the website soon.

Thanks
Jeff

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter