6 or 7 for reservation

herdadditions

Bluegrass Mama Mouse
We are technically a party of 7 but my oldest daughter (23) tends to do her own thing. She may or may not join us at any given moment and trying to get her to commit to meals is just not happening. Should I make reservations for 6 and just try to add her if and when she shows up or make reservations for 7 and often be only a group of 6?

We are technically a party of 7 but my oldest daughter (23) tends to do her own thing. She may or may not join us at any given moment and trying to get her to commit to meals is just not happening. Should I make reservations for 6 and just try to add her if and when she shows up or make reservations for 7 and often be only a group of 6?
As I understand it Disney has a child swap option, how committed are you to this daughter? Or has she aged out and is now yours whether you like it or not?

Make the booking for 7.

It is very hard to find reservations for 7. I would book for 6, when you check in (which you can do on the MDE app) you can add up to 1 person. Problem solved.

I would book for 8, unless 7 is an option. It is much easier to drop a person from the ADR than to add one. I have seen multiple times groups told they couldn't add on our last trip. It was easier to do this when the parks were not as crowded and the restaurants were not at full capacity.

Since she wants to do her own thing and is unwilling to commit, I'd book for 6, and if she decides to join you and the restaurant can't accommodate her, then she can go eat somewhere else. It's hard enough finding ADRs for a party of 6, let alone 7. My opinion might be harsh, but it seems silly to me to have to go through the frustration of booking for 7 when she won't give you the courtesy of committing to any meals.

It is very hard to find reservations for 7. I would book for 6, when you check in (which you can do on the MDE app) you can add up to 1 person. Problem solved.

You can’t always add a person. It very much depends on the restaurant & how booked they are at the time of your ADR. We have been to WDW 4 times this year, with table service at least once every day. I have definitely gotten the “You may add ’0’ guests” when checking in. The website even says every guest should be counted when making an ADR.

Op, if you don’t want to worry & stress about it later, when your daughter decides to join, make the ADR for 7 or 8 as other posters said. Or have a plan if the extra guest gets turned away. Because that might happen. Especially with the way things have been going with ADRs .

Disney dining rule of thumb is don't ever purposely book for fewer people than you might want to show up with. You are always taking the chance that the people you didn't book for won't be admitted. Post covid closure, it is often difficult to find reservations for more than 6, so do it only if you are OK with the possibility that she won't get in.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter