52 week money challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to finish out this year putting away whatever I think I can afford each week, and start the challenge over again in 2019. I’ve been putting the money from the 52 week challenge, and from other sources, in a vacation account. I still need almost $2700 by June 2019 to meet my goal, so I need every dollar I can find to save!

Im trying really hard to stay on track BUT my car died yesterday hopefully it's something simple :(

Week 41 = $34 (I marked off $19 & $15)

$1378 total - 52 Week Money Challenge goal met!

With 11 weeks left on my chart, I haven’t decided if I’ll keep saving random amounts of money for the remainder of the weeks, or if I’ll start a new chart this weekend.

Week 42 = $50
Week 43 = $40
Week 44 = $40
Week 45 = $40

$1548 total

For October, I deposited $164 from this challenge & $186 from other sources (birthday money, Ibotta, WalMart Savings Catcher, etc.). I have $3379.73 saved for our June 2019 trip. It would probably be less if this challenge wasn’t providing an extra push to save!

I suspect I’ll have to slow down now as holiday expenses start up.

Week 42 = $50
Week 43 = $40
Week 44 = $40
Week 45 = $40

$1548 total

For October, I deposited $164 from this challenge & $186 from other sources (birthday money, Ibotta, WalMart Savings Catcher, etc.). I have $3379.73 saved for our June 2019 trip. It would probably be less if this challenge wasn’t providing an extra push to save!

I suspect I’ll have to slow down now as holiday expenses start up.

Week 46 - 48 = $40 each

$1668 total

For November, I deposited $160 from this challenge & $90 from other sources (Ibotta, Walmart Savings Catcher, ebates, Achievement, etc.). I have $3630.94 saved for our June 2019 trip.

So far, I’ve stayed in budget with holiday spending but if I slip, I’ll have to cut back on vacation savings.

Week 46 - 48 = $40 each

$1668 total

For November, I deposited $160 from this challenge & $90 from other sources (Ibotta, Walmart Savings Catcher, ebates, Achievement, etc.). I have $3630.94 saved for our June 2019 trip.

So far, I’ve stayed in budget with holiday spending but if I slip, I’ll have to cut back on vacation savings.

WOW!!! you are doing so great!! after my car repair I haven't be able to get back on track and I so want to :( can you tell me what is Ibotta and Achievement please? Thanks! and keep up the great savings!!!

WOW!!! you are doing so great!! after my car repair I haven't be able to get back on track and I so want to :( can you tell me what is Ibotta and Achievement please? Thanks! and keep up the great savings!!!

I’m sorry the car repairs were so costly. I know in my house, it can take awhile to bounce back to saving after an unpexected expense. What I liked about this challenge was that I was able to put away just a couple of dollars and feel like I was still doing something during tougher weeks. Once I could see the savings adding up, I was even more motivated to save.

Ibotta is an app that gives cash back (rebates) for in store and online purchases. I treat the offers like coupons, so it takes a small amount of effort when I’m shopping to make sure an offer is really a good deal for me, but I usually get back about $20/month. I know that with Walmart Savings Catcher, Ibotta, & ebates I’m just getting my own money back, but that money has already been accounted for in my household budget, so when it comes back, it’s extra to me If you decide you want to try Ibotta, I suggest doing a quick online search for a referral code. Sharing referral codes is against Dis board policy, but there are lots floating around that will earn you, and the referrer, a small amount of bonus cash.

Achievement is an app that allows you to earn cash for linking it to a fitness device. You earn a small amount of cash based on how many steps you take and logging health activities. It’s generally a slow earner and previously took me a year to earn $10, but right now I’m participating in a survey where I’m earning a ton of extra points each month. Once again, if you have a fitness app and want to try it, there are referral codes out on the internet that will help get to your first bonus faster.

I should probably share that part of the “other sources” are challenges I have with myself. I pay myself $1 each day I leave school by 4:30, $1 each day I exercise, & $5 if I keep my weight under a certain amount for a week. I have learned that a Disney dollar is a good motivator to get me out of school at a decent time 3-4 days a week & to think about what I’m eating, but not enough to exercise or lose any more weight because I told myself it’s $10/week if I get to my next weight goal, and that hasn’t happened yet :rolleyes1

Hi, everyone!

It’s been a loooooong time since I posted on this thread. Back in June, I took all the money I had saved from this challenge so far this year and used it as spending money in Disney. When we returned from our trip, I had all intentions of continuing with the challenge, but never did.

I have plans to do this challenge again in 2019. My hope is to save this money for our big, two-week Disney trip we are planning to celebrate my 40th birthday in summer of 2020.

To those of you that stuck with this challenge, congratulations to you!

Week 46 - 48 = $40 each

$1668 total

Week 49-51 = $40 each
Week 52 = $12

$1800 total

For December, I deposited $132 from this challenge & $43 from other sources (Walmart Savings Catcher, a small rebate check, etc.). I have $4182.26 saved for our June 2019 trip.

Holiday festivities definitely slowed down my savings in December, and I suspect January will be down also. I feel like this challenge pushed me to set aside more than I normally do, so I plan on starting it over in 2019.

Week 49-51 = $40 each
Week 52 = $12

$1800 total

For December, I deposited $132 from this challenge & $43 from other sources (Walmart Savings Catcher, a small rebate check, etc.). I have $4182.26 saved for our June 2019 trip.

Holiday festivities definitely slowed down my savings in December, and I suspect January will be down also. I feel like this challenge pushed me to set aside more than I normally do, so I plan on starting it over in 2019.

Awesome job!!!

I started a thread for 2019. It’s down a little ways on the budget board. Keep up the good work!

Here’s the link:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/52-week-money-challenge.3726218/

Hello all I have been away for a bit but i'm back! lets continue this again this year I'm still on my old challenge I want to finish it. who's in again??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!