5/13/19 Alaska Princess Cruise floatplane excursion has mid-air collision with another floatplane

I booked that one Monday after hearing about the crash. I have a non-refundable floatplane excursion booked but I don’t think I can go through with it.

Go for it. 35,000 people were killed in vehicle accidents just in the United States last year. That hasn't stopped many people from driving. Nor should it.

But will you get into a car? I would rather fly in a float plane than drive though all of that construction on I-5 from the Tacoma Mall to the Puyallup River bridge. How many crashes have their been at the sharp curve at the I-5/SR 16 interchange?

Go for it. 35,000 people were killed in vehicle accidents just in the United States last year. That hasn't stopped many people from driving. Nor should it.

I will take driving over a floatplane. Driving you have a chance if you’re in an accident. Flying, the chance is tiny.

Car accidents aren’t almost automatically fatal. Can’t say that for planes.

There is NOTHING accessible by a floatplane that I want to see that badly. Nothing.

That is out of a much larger number of people who drive, though. Floatplanes in Alaska are a relatively dangerous mode of transportation. This is speaking as one who made the educated decision to fly in one anyway last year, but I was aware of the risks and chose the operator very carefully. Those risks should not be minimized.

For anyone interested, here is an article about floatplane flights in Alaska thst features an interview with Randy Sullivan from Mountain Air Service:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.adn.com/alaska-news/2019/05/15/both-risky-and-rewarding-floatplanes-offer-ticket-to-remote-alaska/?outputType=amp-type

Last edited:

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter