$40 a Day for Dining at Disney

I get a cobb salad for lunch often. Usually a martini with it though - not tea. One order could definitely be a full meal for one person (unless that person really likes to eat large amounts).

I was on the deluxe plan last trip, so this was the appetizer minus the martini of course. By the time they brought the entree out, I had no appetite left and still half my salad to go. This thing is a monster, so I am not sure why it is only an appetizer. Boy, it is good though. Cannot wait to do it again. The lodge at the mountains by my house serves the same thing, but it is nowhere near as good.

Eeyore's Wife said:
Breakfast Pollo Campero: Cuban Chorizo and Egg Sandwich, Sweet Plantains, and REAL coffee.

You had me at the REAL coffee! Menu didn't look appealing, but I will try it now.

Loving the ideas!

It's a rainy day here, so I decided to take a crack at this.

However, I did not include a snack for two reasons:
1. If I'm eating 3 meals a day, I don't need/want a snack.
2. I chose a few of the more expensive meals as that was what I was in the mood for today.

AK DAY
Pepper Mkt breakfast Pecan Cinn Roll 3.95 Cappuchino 3.69 w/tax total 8.14
Yak/Yeti CS Orange Beef 10.99 Froz Lemonade 3.59 w/tax total 15.53
Calif Grill for Wishes Chef's Garden Flatbread 13.00 w/tax&tip total 16.19
TOTAL 39.96

MK Day
Main St. Bakery Apple Turnover 2.39 Coffee 2.09 Total 4.77
Plaza Chicken Strawberry Salad 12.99 Ice Cream Float 4.49 Total 21.77
Columbia H. House Anchors Aweigh Sand 8.09 Veg Chilli 4.49 Total 13.40
TOTAL 39.94

Epcot Day
Sunshine Seasons B/E/Ch Croissant 5.99 Yogurt 2.69 Total 9.24
Tokyo Dining Tempura App 8.50 Garden Salad 5.95 Hot Green Tea 2.25 Total 20.79
Sommerfest Brat 6.69 Soda 2.49 Total 9.78
TOTAL 39.81

Studios Day
Starring Rolls Bagel/Cream Cheese 2.29 Cappuchino 3.19 Total 5.84
Mama Melrose Penne Alla Vodka 16.99 Total 21.15
Fairfax Fare Beef Brisket 9.99 soda 2.19 Total 12.97
TOTAL 39.96

Waterpark/Resort Day
Captain Cooke's Tonga Toast 5.19 Caribou Coffee 3.19 Total 8.92
Typhoon Lagoon Bacon Dbl Chburger 8.59 soda 2.19 Total 11.48
The Wave Black Bean Chilli 6.99 Avocado Citrus Salad 7.49 Total 18.02
TOTAL 38.42

So, is not having a snack okay with all I'm eating???

This was a lot of fun and made me wish I was there to fulfill it!!

Yes cooking on vacation is out of the question for me but then bringing nutri grain bars or granola bars from home is not cooking either.
"Since bakery items seem to be the theme for your breakfast why not get a pastry at your resort and make coffee in your room. That would save some $$. We usually pack nutri grain bars or special K breakfast bars to have in our room.

This experiment simply included the main parks as they are accessable to anyone whether on site or off. Not every Disney guest is on site. Many local hotels do not have food on site.

As to the idea of making breakfast in the room, that would negate the whole premise of eating three meals and a snack at restaurants, in a specific park, for under $40. There have been many threads on how to eat cheap at Disney, and my family happily uses many of them, but for many people, not cooking is a big part of vacation.

As to coffee in the room...coffee makers are not provided in value resorts and not every fridge swap has them, and with the added costs of luggage for most air lines, bringing them from home, for fliers is problematic.

I really wanted to explore ideas that anyone at Disney could use inspired by the Rachel Ray $40 a day challenge.

While I can happily eat a resort muffin and drink coffee in my room, it just does not compare to sitting in France eating my croissant and sipping my coffee. It was better back in the days of World Showcase opening with the front of the park.

While my breakfasts may be a bit heavy on baked goods for breakfast, that is a reflection of the fact that I do not eat those when at home in the real world, and I look forward to them with an abiding yearning. Yet, I did include one sit down breakfast, which was a hot meal and not a baked item.

Inspired, I think I might put together a couple menus for around the resort, like a monorail loop plan or a tour around the boardwalk area.

Alright, I'm in! I :love: this idea. It really makes you think about whether the DDP is right for you. DH eats the way the DDP is designed...I do not. So, I decided to imagine I had only myself to consider and arranged my meals accordingly.

I think I followed all the same rules as you did with the exception of the drink rule. I am a water drinker and it's rare that I choose to have anything else...even at TS places. The exception is the Minute Maid Light Lemonade. I like to get one of those per day when at Disney. I usually eat lighter (and by that I mean smaller meals more often) on the go in the parks so I added in an extra snack and you'll see my TS lunch consists of an appetizer and a side.

So far I've only done AK but I'm going to keep working on this (it's so much fun!!) and post as I go.

So...AK including tax and tip!

Kusafiri Breakfast Bagel with Cream Cheese $2.76
Yak and Yeti Pork Egg Rolls $9.95
Chicken Fried Rice $6.84
Flame Tree BBQ BBQ Chicken Salad $8.30
MM Light Lemonade $2.33
Snack Cart Mickey Bar $3.50
Harambe Fruit Market Jalapeno Cheese Pretzel $4.57

Grand Total $38.24

Alright...I've finished up the other three parks as well as a DTD day.

I tried to choose things I would actually eat (many of these items/snacks I've never tried before) and I don't believe I'm eating the same thing twice. I do have one hot dog meal and one veggie burger meal but otherwise they are fairly varied.

This was so much fun!! Thanks for starting this thread. I think I really need to take a solo trip now so I can put this "plan" into action. :rotfl:

Hollywood Studios
Fairfax Fare Egg and Cheese Muffin $6.38
Backlot Express Hot Dog and Fries $7.23
MM Light Lemonade $2.33
Mama Melrose Mozzarella and Tomatoes $9.95
Vegetable Minestrone $6.84
Starring Rolls Brownie $3.50
Writer's Stop Carrot Cake Cookie $3.14

Grand Total $39.37

I think this is my favourite day. I've had the carrot cake cookie but everything else would be a new experience for me. YUM!!

Magic Kingdom

Main Street Bakery Cinnamon Roll $3.72
Liberty Tree Tavern Pilgrim's Feast $18.66
Golden Oak Outpost Chicken Breast Nuggets $7.55
MM Light Lemonade $2.33
Aloha Isle Dole Whip $3.40
Storybook Treats Fudge Brownie Sundae $4.25

Grand Total $39.91

This is slightly unrealistic because I wouldn't likely eat so many sweet treats all in the same day but I've never tried the sundae or the cinnamon roll so I couldn't eliminate them and...isn't it against the law to enter the MK and NOT get a Dole Whip when you love them?

Epcot
Sunshine Seasons Mixed Berry Yogurt $2.86
Rose and Crown Fish and Chips $19.91
Liberty Inn Veggie Burger $7.23
MM Light Lemonade $2.33
Kringla Bakeri School Bread $2.12
Sommerfest Pretzel $4.57

Grand Total $39.02

I took a lot of time over Epcot. So many options means tons of scenarios to run. I like this itinerary a lot though. I've had the fish and chips at the fast food place before but otherwise everything else would be a first time trying.

DTD
WPE Smoked Bacon Pizza $11.21
Raglan Road Priscutto & Chicken Sandwich $16.19
Earl Of Sandwich Original 1762 $6.38
Brownie Sandwich $2.65
Goofy's Single Dip Pretzel Topped $3.14

Grand Total $39.56

The DTD day TOTALLY rocks because it's really like having 2 TS meals and one CS meal for less than $40! And to be honest...this would likely be too much food for me. Once again, all new experiences with the exception of the brownie sandwich from Earl. DELICIOUS!!

Now, if I didn't have to "conform" to the pattern of the Rachel Ray guideline, my Epcot day would look like this:

Kringla Bakeri School Bread $2.12
Biergarten Lunch Buffet $32.36
Boulangerie Patisserie Ham and Cheese Croissant $3.46
Sunshine Seasons Wt Choc Macadamia Cookie $1.91

Grand Total $39.84

After such a big lunch I'd need something light for dinner and really it's one meal and a bunch of snacks but I know it would work perfectly for me!!

"Since bakery items seem to be the theme for your breakfast why not get a pastry at your resort and make coffee in your room. That would save some $$. We usually pack nutri grain bars or special K breakfast bars to have in our room.

This experiment simply included the main parks as they are accessable to anyone whether on site or off. Not every Disney guest is on site. Many local hotels do not have food on site.

As to the idea of making breakfast in the room, that would negate the whole premise of eating three meals and a snack at restaurants, in a specific park, for under $40. There have been many threads on how to eat cheap at Disney, and my family happily uses many of them, but for many people, not cooking is a big part of vacation.

As to coffee in the room...coffee makers are not provided in value resorts and not every fridge swap has them, and with the added costs of luggage for most air lines, bringing them from home, for fliers is problematic.

I really wanted to explore ideas that anyone at Disney could use inspired by the Rachel Ray $40 a day challenge.

While I can happily eat a resort muffin and drink coffee in my room, it just does not compare to sitting in France eating my croissant and sipping my coffee. It was better back in the days of World Showcase opening with the front of the park.

While my breakfasts may be a bit heavy on baked goods for breakfast, that is a reflection of the fact that I do not eat those when at home in the real world, and I look forward to them with an abiding yearning. Yet, I did include one sit down breakfast, which was a hot meal and not a baked item.

Inspired, I think I might put together a couple menus for around the resort, like a monorail loop plan or a tour around the boardwalk area.

:teacher:Awesome!!
I understand exactly. So many times people think they will be deprived or sticker shock without the DDP. You are portraying a way of dining that still gives you the full dining out experience of being on the plan. Not necessarily a budget, but showing you dont have to eat cake/brownie in a cup every meal to have a good time! LOL!

I loved that show! The only thing I was not comfortable with, were her tips. Her totals were so low, her tips were less than $2 sometimes. I always round up.

For the way I eat and drink, the DDP does not always work for me. Like F&WF, I like to eat and drink at several booths. Last year I budgeted $30 a day and that worked great. Had lots of money left over for shopping at DTD.

Some people like the ease of the DDP, but eating what you want, when you want can be a great plan too.

Great ideas everyone!

Totals are a little low...need to add 6.5% tax on all of that...so it's all over $40. The tax man cometh, even in magical Disney...Gotta pay Mickey AND the guv'mnt, lol.

Nope, I included 6.5 tax on everything and 20% tip on the CS meals. :D

Here is a vegetarian plan for the parks. Prices reflect tax and tip where appropriate.

DHS: $39.75
Breakfast Fairfax Fare. Cinnamon bun, hot tea. $5.41
Lunch Studio Catering. Greek Salad, apple juice. $8.93
Snack Starring Rolls. Butterfingers Cupcake. $4.25
Dinner 50's Prime Time. Artichoke Pasta + water. $21.16

Animal Kingdom: $39.52
Breakfast Rainforest Cafe. Forest Combo + coffee. $14.31
Lunch Flame Tree BBQ. Fruit Plate with yogurt, onion rings, lemonade. $14.14
Snack Safari Egg Rolls. Veggie egg roll. $2.02
Dinner Pizzafari. Veggie Pizza, salad, water. $9.05

Epcot: $39.13
Breakfast Sunshine Seasons. Oatmeal with raisins, coffee. $5.31
Lunch Rose and Crown. Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie, water. $18.66
Dinner Taqueria Del Lago. Quesadillas, Large Coke $11.98
Snack Tangerine Cafe. Baklava. $3.19

Magic Kingdom $39.94
Breakfast Main Street Bakery. Cinnamon Roll, coffee. $5.85
Lunch Liberty Tree Tavern. Declaration Salad, Tavern Fried Cheese, water. $13.67
Dinner Columbia Harbor House. Lighthouse Sandwich, tea. $11.06
Snack 1: Aloha Isle. Dole Whip. $3.40
Snack 2: Sleepy Hollow. Mickey waffle with strawberries and whipped cream. $5.96

For my MK day I did a very light sit down lunch, but one I have actually ordered and LOVED. That fried cheese includes cheese curds which are amazing and I adore the strawberry dressing on the salad. In addition, this day is much heavier on snacking and resembles one of my long days in the park where I stay until the wee hours of the morning. Mickey Waffles, Dole Whip, fried cheese, and a hummus sandwich. This represents serious vacation indulgence for me!

Awesome looking Veggie plan ... My DW is trying to incorporate more veggie meals into the mix - these are great suggestions thanks.

The days I hit DHS are usually split with Epcot. I started this thread following the Rachel Ray show. Here is a three meal plan which leaves out a snack. I wanted enough money to add in a glass of wine with dinner. Frankly, given the sizes, I would not want a snack.

Breakfast Starring Rolls. Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcake, Choc Milk. $6.58
Take boat to Yacht Club for Lunch. Soup & sandwich combo. Yummy shrimp salad on a croissant with a bowl of clam chowder, water. $14.93
Take boat to Epcot for dinner at Tangerine Cafe. Lamb Shawarma Platter, glass of house wine. $18.04

The total for the day comes in at $39.55

I could have had a soda with dinner to free up the money for a snack, bit gosh darn it, I just wanted some wine with my lamb.:rotfl:

Here is a plan to "Stir the Pot!"

How about a pool hopping plan. Obviously, this would only be for those happy members of the DVC who are allowed to hop.

Start out the day at Beach Club Marketplace. Cheese omelet croissant and milk. $7.14 after scampering around Storm Along Bay head over to . . . .

Old Key West and Olivia's. Soup and Sandwich. Roast Beef and Conch Chowder with an iced mocha. $19.15

Enjoy the sand castle slide and then head over to. . . .

Bay Lake Tower and the cove pool. Delight in the fiber optically lit slide and enjoy the Cove's Vegetable Summer Rolls with sesame green beans and a glass of sangria. $13.46

The day of pool hopping, water slides, play grounds, and dining comes to $39.75

Healthy eating at Magic Kingdom can be daunting, but here is a day filled with yummy foods on a $40 budget.

Breakfast at Auntie Gravities. Non-fat fruit smoothies, coffee. $6.69
Lunch at Pinocchio's Village Haus. Mediteranian Salad, tomato basil soup, large diet Coke. $14.46
Dinner at The Plaza. Vegetarian sandwich, tea. $16.41
Snack at fruit stand, Granny Smith Apple. $1.07

This day of fruit, vegetables, whole grain, yogurt, and drinks with each meal runs to $38.62

Alright, I confess it...I'm an addict!!

When I came up with my DTD day and found out that I was able to do 2 TS meals (counting WPE as a TS) I wondered whether or not it could be done in the parks. A QS snack breakfast, and TS lunches and dinners INCLUDING snacks and guess what? I did it!! Again, because I'm a water drinker...I didn't put in any beverages but I did have enough left over for all but the Epcot day for 2 snacks so a trade could be made for those who like soda, juice or milk with their meal.

So, here's what I came up with...

ANIMAL KINGDOM
Kusafiri Bake Shop Bagel with Cream Cheese $2.76
Yak and Yeti Lettuce Cups $16.17
Rainforest Café Pita Quesadillas $12.44
Snack Carts Mickey Bar $3.50
Harambe Fruit Market Jalapeno Cheese Pretzel $4.57
Daily Total $39.44

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
Fairfax Fare Cereal with Milk $3.40
50's PT Café Stacked Sandwich $14.93
Mama Melrose Cheese Flatbread $14.93
Starring Rolls Brownie $3.50
Villans in Vogue Carrot Cake Cookie $3.14
Daily Total $39.90

MAGIC KINGDOM
Main Street Bakery Croissant $2.44
Liberty Tree Tavern Vegetarian Pot Pie $16.17
Plaza Plaza Club $14.31
Aloha Isle Dole Whip $3.40
Snack Carts Popcorn $3.46
Daily Total $39.78

EPCOT

Chefs Des France Quiche Lorraine $16.12
Rose and Crown Fish and Chips $19.91
Snack Carts Mickey Bar $3.50
Daily Total $39.53

Now, as you can see...this Epcot day has no breakfast and only one snack but if you were to head to Beaches and Cream for dinner...the Epcot day would look something like this:

EPCOT
Sunshine Seasons Bacon Egg and Cheese Croissant $6.38
Chefs Des France Croque Monsieur $17.37
Beaches and Cream Chicken Sandwich $15.55
Kringla Bakeri Lefse $2.12
Sommerfest Pretzel $4.57
Daily Total $39.61

Man that was fun! I think a summer trip with this much air conditioning and these lighter options would be just the ticket for me. In fact, it might be too much food unless I was sharing!

:worship:WOW!!! I am making a copy of this.:cheer2: Thank Thank Thank you for all your hard work. You are SUPER!!:worship:

Stayhomemom77,
I noticed that your two table service meals, on the AK day were both appetizers with water. Would that be enough food for you?

On a couple plans, and in real life, I will get two appetizers instead of an entree, but other than the Cobb salad at Brown Derby (which used to be listed as a lunch entree when they had a lunch menu) I do not know of any appetizers large enough to be a complete meal for an adult.

Yet, you could be like my Aunt Ady who eats like a bird.:rotfl2:

I loved your Magic Kingdom day that managed two sit down meals, breakfast and two snacks. Amazing! Gotta love those Dole Whips.

Stayhomemom77,
I noticed that your two table service meals, on the AK day were both appetizers with water. Would that be enough food for you?

On a couple plans, and in real life, I will get two appetizers instead of an entree, but other than the Cobb salad at Brown Derby (which used to be listed as a lunch entree when they had a lunch menu) I do not know of any appetizers large enough to be a complete meal for an adult.

Yet, you could be like my Aunt Ady who eats like a bird.:rotfl2:

I've never had the Pita Quesadillas at RFC so can't say for them, but I love the lettuce cups at Yak & Yeti and could easily make a meal on them. That platter is huge! I'm a big eater, but still never finish them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter