$40 a Day for Dining at Disney

It was very interesting reading the postings. Actually makes me want to try some of the places I have never tried in 20+ years of many visits to WDW.

Let's see how I do:

AK:
Kusafiri Coffee Shop & Bakery.... Muffin and Juice $5.18
Tusker House Lunch.... $20.99
Flame Tree BBQ.... BBQ Pork Sandwich and Soda $10.68

Total for the day.... $36.85

MK:

Main Street Bakery...Egg, Ham & Cheese Croissant & Orange Juice $8.38
Tony's Lunch.... Baked Ziti and Soda $16.68
Cosmic Ray's.... 1/2 Rot. Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and Veggies and Soda $12.18

Total $37.24

Did you just say "alcoholic beverages ruin the entire thing" ? Blastphemy Nala!

I say lets do a thread where $40 alchoholic budget for a day and let food "ruin the whole thing"! :cool1:

Don't you just hate that "food" thing interfering with you getting your drink on? :rotfl:

I'm going OOP for meals next month; so I'll have to try this $40 a day thing.
But I do have a "slush fund" for my alcoholic beverages. :thumbsup2

Don't you just hate that "food" thing interfering with you getting your drink on? :rotfl:

I'm going OOP for meals next month; so I'll have to try this $40 a day thing.
But I do have a "slush fund" for my alcoholic beverages. :thumbsup2

Wouldn't that be a "lush fund"? ;)

Tyme4wdw,

Alas, your pricing on AK did not include tip for the table service, nor tax for the two counter service. With those added costs, the price for the day rises to$41.38

You have three drinks for the day, so you could swap soda for water at Flametree and hit the $40 magic number.

In the Magic Kingdom, with tax and tip, you totals come to $42.67 which is still less than the cost of the dining plan, and includes the tip.

Feeding a child at Disney is expensive, and trying to do it for less than the cost of the kids DDP is seemingly impossible if all meals are eaten at a restaurant.

The kids DDP is $11.99 for counter service or standard. The price only jumps a dollar for the standard DDP during peak.

If you have several Disney kids, it may work out financially to get the DDP for the family as the cost savings of OOP for the adult meals can be quickly lost to kids meal costs.

Here is my plan for $20.00 per day with three meals, one of which is table service, and a snack. As always prices reflect tax and tip, as appropriate.

AK: $20.03
Rainforest Cafe. Tuki's oatmeal, brown sugar, fresh fruit and drink. $6.21
Harambi market snack. Pickle. $1.27
Pizzafari kids Mac and cheese meal, includes drink. $5.23
Tamu Tamu adult sized cheeseburger basket with apples or chips, water. $7.23

DHS: $19.56
Kouzzina All American. Bacon, eggs, muffin and drink. $8.08
Starring Rolls mini pastry for dessert. $1.38
Studio Catering. Kids peanut butter and jelly meal. $4.78
Rosie's Cafe. Kids chicken nugget meal. $5.32

MK: $19.37
Grand Floridian Cafe. Kids egg, bacon, toast, and drink. $7.58
Casey's for snack. Crackerjack bag, $1.59
Diamond Horseshoe. Kids hand carved ham sandwich meal, with drink. $5.31
Sleepy Hollow. Mickey shaped waffle with cinnamon. Water. $4.89

Epcot: $19.87
Sunshine Seasons. Kids French toast with sausage and drink. $4.68
La Hacienda. Kids beef taco meal, drink, churro for dessert. $9.65
Liberty Inn. Kids grilled chicken wrap meal with drink. $5.32
Snack at Germany's Karamel Kitchen. Single piece of Werther's soft candy. $0.22

Alright! I'm back with more plans!

I've posted the way I like to eat at Disney and now I'm done finding food for DH (or any "three square meals a day" eaters) for each of the parks for under $40. I challenge anyone to consider this not enough food. The thought of eating all of this makes me feel slightly :sick: but that's just me!! If I actually showed this eating plan to DH he'd be on :cloud9: .

I followed the "rules" set out by eyeore'swife exactly this time and the only time I deviate from a full "meal" for breakfast is with the Main Street Bakery Cinnamon Bun...but let's face it...that thing is HUGE so even the hungriest tummies should be able to go until lunch on that thing (or at least fairly close to it!!).

So...without further ado...

AK
Rainforest Café Tonga Toast $12.44
Ice water
Flame Tree BBQ Beef or Pork Sandwich $9.04
Coke $2.33
Yak and Yeti Orange Beef $11.70
Coke $2.33
Kusafiri Cookie $2.12
Daily Total: $39.97

HS
Fairfax Fare Egg and Cheese Muffin $6.38
Tea $2.23
Sci Fi Burger $17.42
Ice Water
Backlot Express Chicken Breast Nuggets $8.40
Coke $2.33
Writer's Stop Carrot Cake Cookie $3.14
Daily Total $39.90

MK
Main Street Bakery Warm Cinnamon Roll $4.25
Chocolate Milk $2.33
Tony's Meatball Sub $14.93
Tea $2.98
Cosmic Ray's Chili Cheese Dog $8.62
Large Coke $2.55
Aloha Isle Dole Whip Soft Serve $3.40
Daily Total $39.04

Epcot
Sunshine Seasons Adult Breakfast Platter $6.70
Tea $2.33
Rose and Crown Fish and Chips $19.91
Ice Water
Kringla Bakeri Ham and Apple Sandwich $7.34
Milk $1.37
Promenade Refreshments Chocolate Chip Cookie $2.12
Daily Total $39.77

Tyme4wdw,

Alas, your pricing on AK did not include tip for the table service, nor tax for the two counter service. With those added costs, the price for the day rises to$41.38

You have three drinks for the day, so you could swap soda for water at Flametree and hit the $40 magic number.

In the Magic Kingdom, with tax and tip, you totals come to $42.67 which is still less than the cost of the dining plan, and includes the tip.

I came close, but not close enough! You rock Eeyore's Wife! :worship:

An alternative to the MK day for those that like a little protein first thing in the morning (I didn't have it in my first MK plan because it was the same breakfast as the day at HS and I was trying to mix things up.)
Main Street Bakery Egg and Cheese Croissant Sandwich $6.38
Chocolate Milk $2.33
Tony's Meatball Sub $ $14.93
Tea $2.98
Casey's Hot Dog Meal $7.02
Coke $2.33
Aloha Isle Dole Whip Soft Serve $3.40
Daily Total $39.36

This is a great thread. Just returned a few weeks ago from a great trip doing four nights on DxDDP and four nights on DDP. DxDDP was definitely too much food, but we were able to try so many new places that I have no regrets.

I am taking another trip this summer for 6 nights and keep debating back and forth whether to do DDP or OOP. OOP seems to be winning right now. We are staying at SSR and will have a few days where we will be relaxing at the resort and DTD. EOS and WPE have really great selections and are reasonably priced. I am also a Landry's Select and RFC Safari Club member.
As a DVC member, there is a 20% at Chef's de France at lunch and a 10% discount at several others.

I am planning on allotting $100 per day for me and my nephew(17).....this will include snacks and drinks. We should have no problem even with a couple of character meals.

Thanks for the great advice so far :)

Thank you all for these ideas!!!!!

We have always gotten the dining plan. Got it free once (well, had to upgrade to the basic) and actually paid for it once.

You all have convinced me to just go without for our next trip--unless we get it free :) Free dining is probably worth more than any value resort PIN I would ever get. But if we don't get it free I think just winging it with cash might actually work out better for us--especially since one kid is an "adult" but doesn't eat like one.

Amy

Stayhomemom77,

My, what great big meals you have! .. . . . .The better to woo a man with.

What great combinations. Someone who is looking for ideas for three squares a day is going to be thrilled. You even managed to fit in the carrot cake cookie. My husband would love this, and probably you, too:rotfl2:

This thread is great!! We always get the DDP (just like the freedom of it) but this is all still so interesting to see! This is proof that you CAN do Disney on a budget! :thumbsup2

Eeyore's Wife: I noticed in the post about pool hopping, you have the day beginning at the BC and also the pool at BLT. However, not even DVC members can hop to Stormalong Bay or Bay Cove Pool at BLT, as well as the Uzima Pool and Samawati Springs Pool at AKL Jambo House and Kidani Village, and the Beach Club Villas leisure pool. Only guests staying at those resorts may use the pools there. This plan could easily be changed to accomodate another resort though. How about the Poly with a breakfast at Kona, then a hop over to the CR with lunch at Contempo Cafe, the GF with lunch at Gasparilla's, or the WL with lunch at Roaring Fork, and then a hop over to SSR with dinner at Artist's Palette and a boat ride to DTD for a treat at Ghiradelli's? That could probably be made under $40. :)

this thread proves that you can definetly feed yourself for $40.00 or less per day. But as you can see, it takes work and planning. Also as a PP stated it is impossible to match the kids price of the DDP. With that being said it proves to me even more that the DDP is well worth the $. You have to really work and plan to get less than $40 a day. I would rather pay the extra $6 and plan ADR's, eat at very nice venues and not have to worry about menu selections. You will have plenty of leftovers and if you have kids 9yrs old or less you definetly cannot beat that bargain on the DDP. Dont fight it just go with the DDP flow and make your ADR's. Great thread though, and to each his own, but I enjoy my ADR's, its part of my vacation enjoyment. I dont eat out much at restaurants when at home, so it is nice to have sit down reservations. But there are cheaper ways to eat in WDW.

this thread proves that you can definetly feed yourself for $40.00 or less per day. But as you can see, it takes work and planning. Also as a PP stated it is impossible to match the kids price of the DDP. With that being said it proves to me even more that the DDP is well worth the $. You have to really work and plan to get less than $40 a day. I would rather pay the extra $6 and plan ADR's, eat at very nice venues and not have to worry about menu selections. You will have plenty of leftovers and if you have kids 9yrs old or less you definetly cannot beat that bargain on the DDP. Dont fight it just go with the DDP flow and make your ADR's. Great thread though, and to each his own, but I enjoy my ADR's, its part of my vacation enjoyment. I dont eat out much at restaurants when at home, so it is nice to have sit down reservations. But there are cheaper ways to eat in WDW.

But what you (and a few others) don't seem to get is: This thread is an exercise, as in a "take off" (hope others understand that expression) of Rachel Ray's $40/day show. It's not about if you like the dining plan, or if it's a good value for your family. It's about can a WDW guest eat well on the amount set by the Rachel Ray show. I see many posters have demonstrated that you can.

What an awesome thread!!! We do the DlxDP and love it...but I also like to see the possibilities for future trips when my DD9 is older and not in need of 3 meals per day.

What a fun way to do it!!!!!:dance3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter