4/10-18, table food service has definitely take a turn for the worse

Waldorf_Statler

Earning My Ears
We recently stayed 4/10-18 and our overall experience is table dining is worse than past years, from wait staff issues, to wait staff looking like they had too many tables to deal with, and chef inconsistency from previous years. I would say food at the Springs was definitely better than the "Disney Owned" restaurants.

Breakfast
2 x at Kona cafe - Good wait staff, got tonga toast both times was made well, wife's food first time eggs watery, second time grits were over salted not able to finish it.
Olivia's cafe - Good wait staff and meal
2 x Whispering Canyon - Good wait staff and ok meals
Wave - Ok wait staff, Ordered ham and cheese omelette, got cheese just draped over top like they forgot about putting it in, wife went with safe bet and got fruit/oatmeal.
Grand Floridian Cafe - Wait staff was good but he had too many tables, food overall good.

Lunch
Chef Art Smiths Homecoming - Wait staff was great, food was amazing, had friend chicken and the mashed potatoes, wife had grilled chicken salad.
Beaches and Cream - Wait staff was great, got ice cream was good, wife had gluten free french dip which was great

Dinner
Raglan road - Wait staff good, food was good, AC was not working, hotter inside than it was outside, was sweating during our dinning time there
Trattoria - Wait staff was great, Chef was told of dietary restrictions for my mother, food comes out with item specifically told couldn't have all over the top of entree. Mozzarella cheese appetizer made fresh, was like a piece of rubber sent back., Chef a bit condescending during ordering.
California Grill - Wait staff horrible, inattentive and never around, finally had to ask the manager to bring my drink over, when she realized this tells me she has no idea where she is right now. My steak was not cooked well and over salted, wife's food contained gluten when told would not making her ill over the next day.
Wave - Wait staff below average, food brought out at wrong times, drink orders forgotten, food was ok.
Chef Art Smiths Homecoming - Wait staff was great, food was amazing, had friend chicken and the mashed potatoes, wife had braised short rib that was amazing.

Stand out good experience - Chef Art Smiths homecoming was amazing both times we visited, food was great and so was wait staff.
Stand out worst experience - California grill, if you have been there in years past you know how excellent the wait staff is and the food, will not be returning for some time.

California Grill was severely lacking in service during out visit two weeks ago as well. Our server never said he word he just came and stood at our table. Like literally not even a hello. I finally was like "okay for drinks we'd like..." and same thing for the entrees. And he'd write them down and turn around and leave. No communication whatsoever. Food took forever as did drinks. The beer my husband ordered was room temp and served with a warm glass. Unacceptable that the bar couldn't tell the were sending out a warm beer in a can to someone at a signature restaurant. Every other place during our visit had cold beer and/or cold glass to put it in. Food was okay but the entree portion of the menu right now is just odd. My halibut was well cooked but the sides were just weird, and didn't pair well or even really taste good. We love CG and don't plan on skipping it but once you get the bill it does feel life a rip off if you've had a bad experience.

I think WDW as a whole is in a weird in between time where crowds have grown but the bean counters are hesitant to approve additional hiring.

Kudos for having room for Homecomin' twice in one week. I can barely move after eating there once. Made me chuckle that you ordered the same thing twice, must have been good!

Last edited:
Holy cow! I'm shocked to hear about poor service at CG.
I know everyone has bad nights, but to not even speak? I hope you reflected this behavior in his tip.

We had the most wonderful server there in February, we felt like we were his only table.
So sorry to hear this.

I am not sure if I could have stayed in RR with no A/C this time of year, kudos to you.

Two strikes here, now, i’m Leaning towards cancelling our upcoming CG
ADR.

Two trips since end of February, IMO the service & food quality declined even more the last trip (ended 5/8)

Fond ourselves eating offsite more than usual. It’s rather sad when the CS place at your resort produced some of the best food of the trip...Roaring Forks. Everything generally there is made to order, simple fare but fresh & well-prepared.

Beaches & Cream was good the two times we’ve eaten there this year. Think that having less tables has upped the service & their hot food seems better prepared than in the past.

We had a server who was working there/training his first day. Had worked at one of the MK TS & was so happy to be called back to work, anywhere. A real keeper, full of enthusiasm!

Had our first “off” meal at one of our more recent favorites - Art Smith’s last week. :confused3 Never a great start to not be seated until almost an hour after your ADR.

Always get the fried chicken & donuts & split the entree. The donuts Were great, chicken tasted as tho the seasonings were missing & it was rather dry. Insult to injury, my moonshine watermelon drink had a very weak pour. That led me to mention it to server, who just shrugged it off.

We’ll be taking a break there for the first time in ages during our upcoming July trip. Hope they can get it together.

Insult to injury, my moonshine watermelon drink had a very weak pour. That led me to mention it to server, who just shrugged it off.

"Sir -- I wasn't looking for a hug or a shoulder to cry on. Please replace this is what you should have done". CS is WDW crown jewel too :( I wonder if the new replacements are just that.

We had dinner at CG 2 weeks ago. We had a wonderful experience. Our server was attentive and informative. Maybe he was trying harder as he was just recalled from furlough. The food was excellent and well cooked. We were so glad we went.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter