3rd Annual We are "NEVER" going to Disney in the summer again"

I would say since you are already going to be in Orlando, and everyone wants to go to Disney so badly then I would spent 1/2 day at the Magic Kingdom! It sounds like you do have a lot planned, but this trip to Orlando will be so different than all your others. I know you said you weren't doing a PTR, are you considering doing a TR when you get back?

Thanks, everyone!!!

The only Sea World our kids have seen was the one in San Diego (2003). They were 10 and 12. DH and I went to the Orlando Sea World a LONG time ago (1988).

Oh and regarding my son...I'm sure I will have more 'scatterbrained' stories before his semester is done mid-May!!

Kerry

That's just about the ages of my boys! They will be 13 and 10 on this trip. Ben is really into marine animals and science in general. We do a lot of local programs offered by a friend of ours who used to work for the New England Aquarium.

Our best "marine" vacation was Atlantis- we went in 2009- that is one amazing destination!

Dee -

I totally understand the draw to spend a day at Disney. Certainly think you should spend a day at MK! There is just something about the place.

I don't think I could be that close without driving on Disney property, visiting a park (or maybe two), visiting my favorite resort (even just for dinner) and visiting my favorite greeter (if she was working, which I understand your vacation time she will not). Then I might walk around Epcot and stay for Illuminations....."if you give a mouse a cookie"....

;) Rebecca

I love the give a mouse a cookie comment!

The biggest hurdle for us will be the transportation. We do not plan on renting a car, so we would have to figure out how to get to MK- there are options, and I will make sure I have all the info I need in case we need to pull the trigger.

I have promised Teena that I would take her and Bob to Cape May for dinner if she is around, although I know that is unlikely due to Jeanne being due :)

Sorry for multi posts but check out the unlimited multi park seaworld/aquatica tickets from AAA for $106

I am looking for LESS to add to the agenda!

My family is afraid we won't have enough to do but personally I think we will be fine! Unlike Disney, pool hopping is allowed between the 3 Universal resorts, so I am looking forward to some afternoon pool time. Plus, we could easily enjoy City Walk (think DTD) or strolling around one of the parks in the evening.

They need to Do The Math!!! :teacher: We have 3 full days, 2 half days and we will have 6 admissions to theme parks! I will just graciously accept the "You were right, mom!"-s when they are given. Yeah, right!

BTW- WTH is up with the Sox???

I would say since you are already going to be in Orlando, and everyone wants to go to Disney so badly then I would spent 1/2 day at the Magic Kingdom! It sounds like you do have a lot planned, but this trip to Orlando will be so different than all your others. I know you said you weren't doing a PTR, are you considering doing a TR when you get back?

Yes, definitely writing a trip report when we get home. Lots of ideas swirling in my head... It seems like many of the rides at US/IOA have counterparts at Disney so I will do a comparison in terms we Disney-philes can understand. I also want to write about Seuss-land in the style of Theodore Geissel.

I'll try to sneak it onto these boards in addition to the US TR forum. That one does not get much action.

Of course, if I am not careful, I may accidentally end up writing a PTR :laughing:

Are you kidding me?? OF COURSE you should go to Magic Kingdom... listen to your husband. You are in Orlando after all! If nothing else... at least a little trip to DTD for a bit of a Mickey Mouse fix! ;)
:lmao:

Q

I would leave the evening at MK as an "open option." By that I mean I would plan the logistics and then see if everyone is truly up to it at the time that you would go.
It sounds like you're making some good plans!

Amanda

Hi Dee!

Tough question! As you may recall, we're staying at BWI before our August Disney cruise and BC after the cruise. But we're not doing any parks for two reasons: 1) cost; and 2) I promised my husband we would take a break from the parks after our APs expired. :)

Have you considered adding a BC night to the end of your trip? During our non-park stays in August, we'll spend time at SAB (while at BC) and Luna Park (while at BWI) and we have ADRs at Yachtsman, Flying Fish and Jiko for dinners and Cape May for breakfast. Lots of Disney - lower cost than the parks.

Would you consider non-expiring tickets so that you could just use one day and then use the rest on a future trip? I thought about that for us, but we've become addicted to the AP discounts so when we return to the parks, we'll plan two trips within a 12-month period and then get the TIW card. But my parents just bought 10-day non-expiring tickets last fall and they love the flexibility!

Ok, I am still a ways away from getting to the "other orlando"...aka the dark side part of our trip BUT I will say this.

Having done both last trip, stayed at both, pool hopped at Orlando etc.....given the length of your trip and adding Seaworld in....to me it seems crazy expensive to do just a half day at Disney. You will have plenty to do on the dark side. We did 3 full days there +2 half days, quite happily and probably could have used more down time.

That said, we did not do the hoppers so did 2 days at IOA and one at US, and then 2 half days at the resort/Citywalk.

It's doable but I guess what I'd ask myself is...

is the 1/2 day really worth the expense and even if so, will a half day feel more like a tease than anything?

Very happy to provide any info on the dark side, just PM me (or FB mail, either is good)

Are you kidding me?? OF COURSE you should go to Magic Kingdom... listen to your husband. You are in Orlando after all! If nothing else... at least a little trip to DTD for a bit of a Mickey Mouse fix! ;)
:lmao:

Q

That is my husband's argument- we are already in Orlando so it is "relatively" cheap to make a visit to MK compared to if we were to fly down tomorrow to visit to the World.

I would leave the evening at MK as an "open option." By that I mean I would plan the logistics and then see if everyone is truly up to it at the time that you would go.
It sounds like you're making some good plans!

Amanda

That is definitely my plan. See if it makes sense at the moment.

I think I have about $60 in points/Disney dollars on my Visa. That doesn't quite get us to a one-day ticket! I typically use my Discover card for purchases (and pay off the balance each month) because the money you earn there is not restricted for use on Disney products. The Visa is the backup card

Hi Dee!

Tough question! As you may recall, we're staying at BWI before our August Disney cruise and BC after the cruise. But we're not doing any parks for two reasons: 1) cost; and 2) I promised my husband we would take a break from the parks after our APs expired. :)

Have you considered adding a BC night to the end of your trip? During our non-park stays in August, we'll spend time at SAB (while at BC) and Luna Park (while at BWI) and we have ADRs at Yachtsman, Flying Fish and Jiko for dinners and Cape May for breakfast. Lots of Disney - lower cost than the parks.

Would you consider non-expiring tickets so that you could just use one day and then use the rest on a future trip? I thought about that for us, but we've become addicted to the AP discounts so when we return to the parks, we'll plan two trips within a 12-month period and then get the TIW card. But my parents just bought 10-day non-expiring tickets last fall and they love the flexibility!

Mark would like to do you one better... "You know, if we added on a day stayed at the Beach club before and after our trip to Universal, we could use Magical Express! We would only be changing rooms a couple of times!"

Hmmm, hadn't thought of the non-expire option. We don't mind fronting the money for something we would use later. We don't mind spending money, we just can't stand the idea of wasting money.

The problem with this may be that I believe you need to get at least a one-day ticket if you are trying to book the meal plan, and we really like this, so if we got the NE, we would still need to purchase one day ticket on a future trip- is my understanding of that correct?

I don't think we would ever do the annual passes- don't want to commit to making multiple trips in a year. Unfortunately, that rules out the TIW card for us- it is very appealing to me- I can see the advantages over the dining plan.

Ok, I am still a ways away from getting to the "other orlando"...aka the dark side part of our trip BUT I will say this.

Having done both last trip, stayed at both, pool hopped at Orlando etc.....given the length of your trip and adding Seaworld in....to me it seems crazy expensive to do just a half day at Disney. You will have plenty to do on the dark side. We did 3 full days there +2 half days, quite happily and probably could have used more down time.

That said, we did not do the hoppers so did 2 days at IOA and one at US, and then 2 half days at the resort/Citywalk.

It's doable but I guess what I'd ask myself is...

is the 1/2 day really worth the expense and even if so, will a half day feel more like a tease than anything?

Very happy to provide any info on the dark side, just PM me (or FB mail, either is good)

Thanks for the offer to provide info. Were you at one of the Universal resorts- please refresh my memory! I will definitely PM you if I have some specific questions.

Good to hear that your impression is that there is plenty to do in the time we will have. I am particularly looking forward to some resort/pool time since we never seem to find time to do that at Disney, even when we have SAB at our disposal!

OOPS!!! I didn't realize that when you COMPLETE a trip report, it means nobody else can post! Silly me!

I wasn't planning on writing a Pre-Trip report, but I decided to take some of the stuff from the past few pages and post that, and I will sporadically add information as I continue to plan the Universal/Sea World Trip:

Here is the link to: Slipping Disney a Mickey- we have Dates with Harry and Shamu http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2703929

Feel free to post any comments over there!

Mark would like to do you one better... "You know, if we added on a day stayed at the Beach club before and after our trip to Universal, we could use Magical Express! We would only be changing rooms a couple of times!"

Hmmm, hadn't thought of the non-expire option. We don't mind fronting the money for something we would use later. We don't mind spending money, we just can't stand the idea of wasting money.

The problem with this may be that I believe you need to get at least a one-day ticket if you are trying to book the meal plan, and we really like this, so if we got the NE, we would still need to purchase one day ticket on a future trip- is my understanding of that correct?

I don't think we would ever do the annual passes- don't want to commit to making multiple trips in a year. Unfortunately, that rules out the TIW card for us- it is very appealing to me- I can see the advantages over the dining plan.

I'm with Mark regarding Magical Express! That was part of the equation when we booked Disney resorts before and after the cruise - we'll hop on Magical Express to and from the airport! (Our youngest still doesn't understand how we could possibly stay at a "Disney hotel" and not go on the "Donald Duck Mexico ride." I have a few months to work on that with him!) We'll need a car to get to Kennedy Space Center, but I've read great things about car rental from the Dolphin - looks very easy.

Yeah, the whole non-expiring thing doesn't work as well if you want a dining plan. I've read reports from those who cost it out and can still make it work, but it didn't make sense for us.

As for the APs, we really didn't plan to take so many trips in one year! We initially purchased the APs to cover our March 2010 trip and our February 2011 trip. So we needed to commit to spring trips in two consecutive years to make them cost effective. (Then it got a bit out of control with cheap airfares and AP discounts.) TIW was perfect for us and the AP discount for merchandise was up to 20% off. It will be a while before we get APs again, but if we go in early July 2013 and then in late June 2014, that would work.

So back to the pre-Universal BC stay and the post-Universal BC stay - sounds good!

Just read your post about 4 parks in one day. If only you had ridden the monorail, you would have done the 4 types of transportation too! :)

Just read your post about 4 parks in one day. If only you had ridden the monorail, you would have done the 4 types of transportation too! :)

This is a blast from the past! :rotfl2:

Thanks so much for reading.

I hadn't noticed that about the transportation. Thanks for pointing it out.

:goodvibes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter