35 Things We Learned on Our Trip to WDW

Very fun!! I really enjoyed reading this as I haven't been to WDW since I was a young teen(am now in my upper 30's) but, am taking my first family trip next year!:goodvibes...You now have me wanting to get ds into HP!:rotfl2: because I love HP but, he is only 5!

Thanks for all of the fun tips! We leave in 30 days and this made me smile and even more excited for our trip if that's possible. SO looking forward to staying at an Epcot resort and being able to walk to the park. Epcot is mine and DH's favorite park so we are super excited. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip!

THANKS for taking the time to write this out. I loved reading all the tips. This thread actually kept my attention. Most do not.

I read your post and was nodding at the comments.. and thinking.. yep that is so true!!

1) We discovered Pixie Hollow after talking with our tablemates at the Biergarten...really cool if you love Tink! It's just passed the Adventureland sign on the right.

2) Beach Club Marketplace has all the food and provisions you would ever need (not necessary to stop at a grocery store or have it delivered to the room from an outside vendor).

3) The Beach Club is better than advertised (if that is possible). The pool is truly unbelievable.

4) The Secret door near Room #1500 wing is REAL. And you truly are a 3 minute walk from EPCOT. Our room (#4534) was directly above that area and we thought the Illuminations fireworks were being shot off of our balcony.

5) EPCOT RD was a dream. We left the Beach Club at 8:41, and got a FP for Soarin and were on the ride by 9:06.

6) For Soarin at RD, while following the CMs thru The Land don't go down the escalator with the mob to the left, but veer to the right and go down the stairs and you'll be first in line at the FP machines.

7) For Soarin, try to get in the front seats...you won't see the feet hanging.

8) Biergarten is a cool place to eat. Get an 8:40 ADR because the Oompa Band ends at 9:00pm...just enough time with that Oompa Band.

9) The boat to DHS was wonderful and timely...no need to walk.

10) I could have sworn there was a bus from BC to DHS. Our group walked out to the Bus Stop at 7:55am and there was a bus with DHS on it. We attempted to get on but the driver said that there was no bus service, only the boat and the walkway. Our group of nine looked dejected and glum. The driver said, "get in, I'll give you a special lift." We got a private ride to DHS from this wonderful guy. We tried to give him a tip, but he declined and told us to have a great day. We were at DHS at 8:10. my group couldn't believe we were there 50 minutes early, but we bided our time and were right at the turnstiles and the front of the line at RD. Clearly we were the first wave to TSM, while I went to RnRC for FP. My party met me at ToT which we rode Standby (13 minute wait) and then used the FP for RnRC and then FP it again.

11) 50's Primetime is absolutely adorable. The decorations are perfect and the attitudes of the staff are hilarious. Plus, when one of the kids didn't eat their string beans, the waiter came back with the string beans covered in Whipped Cream and nine cherries...one for each of us.

12) Wishes from Narcossees' deck is beautiful.

13) Narcoossees is over-priced!!!!

14) I can't spell Narcoosses correctly or consistently.

15) For a quick adult treat, try the pub at Rose 'n Crown: A Delicious Cheese plate and a glass of Cabernet (for two).

16) We found a great place for our DD15 and her BFF15 to get beautiful henna tattoos in Morrocco.

17) Get an 8:30pm ADR at Tokyo Dining and watch Illuminations from their deck at 9:00.

18) We gained a greater appreciaton for EPCOT, being so close and with such easy access. We had a lot of time to really explore the countries instead of just walking by, and glancing in. Walk over to BWI too!

19) Germany had many upscale items for sale, chrystal, steins, cookoo clocks.

20) The Akershus Princess Banquet is not worth the money. We felt very rushed and it cost $46/person (four of which were teenage girls).

21) I'm not cheap, but I don't understand tipping 18% (group of nine) at a buffet where I get up from my seat and serve myself the food. 10% would be more than enough, especially since the Cape May Cafe breakfast is so over-priced.....just saying.

22) Boy, it's really hard to keep nine people, all with different senses of urgency, on the same page. Ranging in age from 11 to 55 (me).

22a) Always tell the members of your group: "Let's meet at 7:30am" when you really want to meet at 8:00am. Especially when 5 of them are teenage girls!!!

22b) Have your UT WDW tickets added to your room keys. And maybe even allow the older teens have charging ability.

23) We spent 2 1/2 days at the Royal Pacific at Universal. FOTL passes are almost unfair, I felt guilty walking past all those people all the time, but I loved them.

24) The Harry Potter Forbidden Journey ride was incredible, nothing like I have ever experienced. Rode it at RD and then again in the single rider line. Get to IOA at 7:40am.

24a) Skip the Hippo-dippo-graff ride at HP...30 seconds and then "is that it?"

24b) And really listen to me: Skip the Wand thing at Ollivanders (sic), or whatever the heck it's called. Absolutely wasted an hour of my life from 9:00-10:00pm in a line that snails along, and then your in a little room for what seems like 2 minutes to hear an old guy talking about...whatever the heck he was talking about..and then it's over, and then they have the gall to usher you through a shop to buy these wands for $30. Yikes...stay far, far away from this. If you don't you will only say afterwards "I should have listened to redc !!!"

24c) Get the non-frozen Butterbeer. It is pretty good...like cream soda...but better.

24d) Take in all that the Hogwarts scenery has to offer...it is truly exquisite.

24d) Don't bring carry bags to IOA or US. You will need to secure them in a locker to ride most attractions. What a hassle. Fanny packs are OK, but be ready to be made fun of. WDW allows carry bags on the rides.

25) Let the 15-year-olds explore on their own. Gives them freedom and confidence. Gives you and your Lady a little time together both in the parks and at the BC!!!

26) Don't eat a heavy meal just before riding RnRC. Wow!

26a) Ride Everest as many times as you possibly can. Maybe my fave at WDW.

26b) Ride Kali RR in a torrential rain storm...it answers the "will you get wet?" question conclusively.

26c) Bring extra walking shoes...see 26b.

27) Get an 8:05am ADR at Crystal Palace. At 8:55, have a runner (me) scurry across to get Space Mtn FPs. Then ride BTMRR and Splash Mtn standby.

28) Innocently step on the toes of people who sit in the middle of every theater instead of going all the way to the end. Make sure you say "Oh, I'm sorry." Gets your aggression out, believe me.

28a) Don't let more than one person pass you in line so they can "get to their group up ahead"...especially teenagers. Say "I'm sure your party will wait for you up ahead."

29) Stay at the BC. My love was always WL, but now I am one of the converted.

30) Don't ride Space Mtn more than once or you will surely need a chiropractor. Front or middle seat is better than the rear!!!!

31) Go on the Safari at AK. Saw a lot of cool animals, more than I remembered from last visit.

31a) Ride Test Track single rider. We rode 3 times without waiting and always got to sit in the same car with my Lady. Ask for an ODD number lane and get the front seat.

32) Don't forget your backpack in the netting at your seat on DINOSAUR! Oiy!

32a) Bring water bottles and PB&J sandwiches to the parks for lunch...eat cereal breakfast in the room.

33) Bring ponchos if there is a threat of thunderstorms (it rained every afternoon at about 4:00).

33a) Don't expect Jasmine or Aladdin to hang around during a meet-and-greet when thunder cracks closeby. Never saw two humans in silky clothing run so fast in my life.

33b) Run past the Stitch Escape travesty and DON'T GO IN!!! Thank God we didn't wait long for that!!!

34) Raise your arms over your head and scream while riding the Hulk, Dragon's Challenge, Test Track, Everest, BTMRR, Splash Mtn, Space Mtn, RnRC and...you'll feel like a teenager again!!

35) Ride IASW and sing....because you can.

36) Have fun....redc

Awesomesauce!!! Thanks for sharing! What a great way to start our day!

Aww, this makes me want to stay at BC! Maybe if DH and I ever take that couples' trip.

We did not spend enough time appreciating Epcot last time because I was hell-bent on listening to as many storytellers as I could. Major mistake.

Love the tip on R&C.

Was considering Narcoosee's as a back-up for CG. Is the food good, at least?

6) For Soarin at RD, while following the CMs thru The Land don't go down the escalator with the mob to the left, but veer to the right and go down the stairs and you'll be first in line at the FP machines.

Thanks for posting this! We have never been to EPCOT but will be there in less than 2 weeks. Will a newbie get lost following these directions?

Awesome post! :) I have always wanted to stay at the Poly when I can afford a deluxe, but you may have just converted me. :thumbsup2

I have to agree that the people who just plop in the middle of the theater while the CM's are trying to fill the seats in order drive me nuts.

I have to agree that the people who just plop in the middle of the theater while the CM's are trying to fill the seats in order drive me nuts.

Me too and my DH tries to do it all the time! I just walk off & leave him & he gots all irritated & has to get up & come to me!! Lol. Follow directions ppl you learned it in elementary school!!!

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & BWI Sept 8-15, 2013

Loved your post and I agree wholeheartedly about the tipping. Even 10% of the ridiculous prices they charge for buffet would be a gracious plenty of a tip for what the servers! One can certainly understand why some of them have been there for over 20 years!

24b) And really listen to me: Skip the Wand thing at Ollivanders (sic), or whatever the heck it's called. Absolutely wasted an hour of my life from 9:00-10:00pm in a line that snails along, and then your in a little room for what seems like 2 minutes to hear an old guy talking about...whatever the heck he was talking about..and then it's over, and then they have the gall to usher you through a shop to buy these wands for $30. Yikes...stay far, far away from this. If you don't you will only say afterwards "I should have listened to redc !!

Except when you do it and your 19 and 16 year olds are selected by Ollivander! Granted we went early and there was minimal line...but they were both chosen (and yes we bought two wands) but it was great when the older kids get back into the magic of HP!

One thing we learned was don't skip the line at HP and the FJ. We were in line, doo dee doo dee doo, and then there was a fire alarm. We had to get back out and when it was safe to go back we were waiting at the area where you go into line for my DH. A "cast member" asked what we were doing, and we explained and they said "Go in <this other way> and told them that <CM>" sent you. We thought "great! we get to skip the line (as we had already waited once before)"
We went on that ride again later in the trip and went through the line...it was so awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts