23 Nights, 40 ADRS, too many food pics to count!! COMPLETED 01/22!

Best dining review I've read in a long time. Best descriptions, pictures all came through, well organized, thoroughly enjoyable! You are so kind and gracious to share them with us! Blessings to you always.

Hi
I really enjoyed your reviews!!! They were great reviews and so detailed. I loved reading them. Thanks for taking your time to do this.

Best dining review I've read in a long time. Best descriptions, pictures all came through, well organized, thoroughly enjoyable! You are so kind and gracious to share them with us! Blessings to you always.

Ditto! Also can't wait for V&A review.

Granfan - Hiya neighbor! Just up 49 from you outside of Hattiesburg!

The snapper was very good, hope you enjoy it.

No I'm not a big football fan really, it's normally on in the background though as DH watches every match he can. He's going to the Man U game tomorrow night, I imagine Newcastle are going to lose that one!

OH is still smiling to his bit self after the result :cool1:

Paige cant wait to try Bubba Gumps, she is prawn mad lol

Emerils looks really good VFM I think we will have to give it a go.

I have really enjoyed your dining reviews! I am so jealous that you got to stay at Disney so long! We are going next month but are only at WDW for 4 days then we move on to a cruise. Hopefully our next trip we can plan some more time and restaurants! We have the regular dining plan during our stay and are really looking forward to it! I hope to read your next trip/dining review soon...Thanks!

Thank you so much. I know, we're very lucky to be able to take such long trips. Hope you enjoy your cruise, I've always fancied trying a Disney Cruise but the dates have just never worked out for me. May be next year!

I have loved reading your reviews!! I can't believe how many places you ate at. I can't wait to read about V & a's.. Looking forward to the rest!!

Thank you. V&A review is coming up now!

Thank you so much, that's really sweet of you to say.

Hi
I really enjoyed your reviews!!! They were great reviews and so detailed. I loved reading them. Thanks for taking your time to do this.

Thank you very much.

Ditto! Also can't wait for V&A review.

Granfan - Hiya neighbor! Just up 49 from you outside of Hattiesburg!

Thanks, V&A review coming up today.

OH is still smiling to his bit self after the result :cool1:

Paige cant wait to try Bubba Gumps, she is prawn mad lol

Emerils looks really good VFM I think we will have to give it a go.

DH was the same, I can't believe they won to be honest!
Hope you enjoy Emerils and Paige likes Bubba's it's the perfect restaurant for a prawn fan!

Great reviews and pics. Thank You!

Thank you very much.

Today we were heading back to Disney for the last three nights of our trip. We went to HP at 8am which was lovely and quiet, saw Ollivanders show, rode Forbidden Journey twice and explored all the shops. We went back to room at nine to pack and checkout, then came back to parks to ride our favourites one more time.

We had a lunch reservation at Mythos for 12:30. When we checked in they were taking walkups with 20 minute wait, we were seated within a couple of minutes. The restaurant very busy and we were sat at a nice four top table. Our server was ok here, he was obviously very busy, but the meal wasn’t paced well and we just felt very rushed.

To drink I ordered the orange Dreamsicle which was todays special cocktail for $5. It was very sweet but tasty, and good value at only $5. DH had some kind of beer, which looked strangely similar to fanta but he actually enjoyed.
IMG_1643.jpg

We shared the shrimp tempura sushi roll to start. This was good, I wasn’t expecting the whole roll to be tempura, I thought it was just be the shrimp. There was plenty of tasty shrimp,the rice was nicely cooked, but it was little bland, definitely not the best sushi of trip. As we were finishing the last pieces our entrees arrived.
IMG_1644.jpg

DH had crab cake sliders, these were really good. Hot and tasty crab cakes served in soft white buns. The potato salad it was served with was creamy, and the melon salsa was refreshing and light.
IMG_1645.jpg

I had the buffalo chicken wrap. The wrap very soft and nice and warm, smothered with a thin layer of mashed potatoes, the chicken was hot and tasty but was a little spicy for me. It was served with fries which were not good at all, they must have been the end of a batch or something as they were just lukewarm and hard. If I could have found our server I would have asked for new ones, but he was always running around and was hard to flag down, so I just shared some of DH’s potato salad.
IMG_1646.jpg

We finished the meal with two dessert shots, Creme Brulee and Chocolate mousse. The Creme brulee was more like custard as it had no burnt sugar topping, but it was a nice smooth custard topped with a light caramel sauce. The chocolate shot was good, creamy chocolate mousse, layers of soft chocolate sponge topped with cream, yum!
IMG_1647.jpg

We really liked this restaurant last time, but this time I would rate it as just ok. The sushi was nice but not fantastic, and the crab sliders were good, whereas my wrap was one of the poorest entrees I had on the trip. I do think it’s good value, but they seemed to rush just as much as Disney does at some of their 1 TS restaurants. Last time we ate later and may try that again, as it was quieter and they seemed less concerned with turnover. Overall we had a reasonably cheap lunch, and may come back but it’s no longer a must do for me.

After lunch we finished up at the parks and took a cab to the Contemporary to check in for the last segment of our holiday. Now I could not decide where to spend these last three nights and I think I booked about 7 different hotels in the course of deciding including Swan/Akl/GF and WL!! I was happy with a club level stay at WL which is a hotel I’ve wanted to try for a while, but then Disney released a new discount and CR was included. DH really fancied staying here and I loved the idea of getting a MK view so booked it and spent the next three months dreaming of watching Wishes from our Balcony and seeing the MK come alive in the morning.

We arrived at check in and were told the hotel was overbooked so we’d been downgraded to a Bay View room, but not to worry as it was still in the main building! I would never have switched from WL Club Level for a Bay View room and wasn’t very happy. The CM could see I was upset and went to get a manager, who explained we’d be refunded the difference in price, and she would give us access to club level. This was nice but we weren’t upgraded properly to club as we were only on the 10th floor so it made it a bit awkward using the lounge and I just really wanted the room I’d booked months previously.

This probably sounds spoilt given the fabulous vacation we had, I do know how lucky we are to be able to afford to holiday like this but I never expect upgrades or pixie dust, but I do expect to be given the room I worked hard all year to pay for. This was a really sour start and I although I loved the room and size of the balcony here, I don’t think I’ll stay at the CR or book any MK view at the other monorail hotels again.

After unpacking enough for the three nights, we went up to the lounge for drinks and appetisers, these were good but I thought the lounge would be bigger than it was. Saying that even though it was busy we were always able to get a table when we needed one. Later we popped down to the Contempo Cafe and shared a cheese flatbread. This was good it had a tasty wholemeal base and plenty of cheese on top (sorry I forgot to bring the camera). I liked the touchscreen order system here and the flatbread was ready quickly.

We browsed round the fourth floor and got a brownie from fantasia marketplace. This was a little hard, we liked oreo topping but we didn’t finish it.
IMG_1656.jpg

We attended EMH at MK (this is where staying at CR really comes into it’s own) which was quite crowded then monorailed to poly for our Kona reservation at 9:30.

We normally have very early breakfast reservations and are used to mostly empty restaurants, but I guess this is more like peak breakfast time as it was busy, looking around 3/4 full. We were sat quickly and our server greeted us and took our drinks orders. I ordered lilkoi juice and we shared the press pot. The press pot very good but the juice not as good as that served at ‘ohana, I think it may have been the end of bottle, as it was a bit watery at top.
IMG_1686.jpg

To eat I ordered the samoan, this was very nice, loads of pulled pork, potatoes and croutons, topped with two perfectly poached eggs and hollandaise sauce. The balance was slightly off for me with too much pork and only a handful of potatoes, but I enjoyed it.
IMG_1687.jpg

DH ordered tonga toast with fruit, instead of meat. When it arrived it had bacon on it and DH really hates to eat food where meat has been touching it. He asked for fruit instead but the food runner couldn’t understand why he wouldn’t just eat that one and he’d bring him some fruit separately. Eventually he got a dish with just fruit on which he really enjoyed. I had a few bites and it was so good, crispy sugary crust, with soft bread and banana filling, very sweet but delicious.
IMG_1688.jpg

We enjoyed breakfast here again and would definitely return.

We took the monorail to Epcot, rode some rides and headed to world showcase around 12:30 when we saw some F&W festival booths up and running for the soft opening. Not all booths were open, but very quiet, no queues at any of booths yet so it was a good time to experience some of the festival offerings.

We stopped in mexico to get a shrimp taco, I thought the salsa on this was spicy and it was too hot for me, DH thought it was fine and enjoyed this.
IMG_1689-1.jpg

Next was the Cheese booth to share a fondue. I really liked this, it was one of my favourites from the festival. Smooth, creamy cheese fondue served with a warm breadstick for dipping, what’s not to like!
IMG_1690-1.jpg

Next was Germany for a sausage pretzel roll. The sausage was too big for bun, but the sausage was good and I loved the soft pretzel roll.
IMG_1691.jpg

In Canada we tried maple glazed salmon on lentil salad. We both really enjoyed this, the salmon was nicely cooked, worked well with the maple flavour and lentils.
IMG_1692.jpg

At Australia we tried the Lammington as we both used to watch Neighbours when we were young and used to hear them mentioned on the programme, so wanted to see what they were like. It was soft sponge, coated in chocolate and coconut,the flavours reminded me a bit of snowball without the marshmallow filling.
IMG_1693-1.jpg

We wanted to sample more but it was now around 1:15, and wanted to be hungry for our 6pm dinner at V&A.

This was the meal we’d been looking forward to all trip. We’d eaten at V&A twice before but DH decided he’d like to try the Queen Victoria Room this time. V&A confirmed they were happy to provide a vegetarian/seafood QVR menu for DH so we booked it. We arrived by monorail around 5:55 and were greeted by Israel and taken to table next to the fire in Queen Victoria Room. There were two other couples already sat and the last table remained empty most of the night.

We decided to do the wine pairings so were given a glass of Pommery Royal Brut champagne to start.

We were presented with copies of the menus to see the food we were be served tonight and to make sure we were happy with all the dishes. We confirmed we were, and the feast began.

First we were served the Amuse bouche. This consisted of a poached quail egg topped with Galilee Caviar, which was very nice, perfect runny yolk complementing the caviar, Ahi tuna served rare with a delicious ginger dressing. Jamon-wrapped Shrimp served with an athena melon sauce which had an incredibly intense melon flavour, and Butternut Squash soup which was absolutely delicious, so creamy, yet the flavour of squash wasn’t diluted at all.
DH had the same dish except his shrimp was served without the ham. We both agreed this was a fantastic start to the meal.
IMG_1696.jpg

The next course was Heirloom tomatoes, octopus, Iberico ham croutons Burrata cheese with yellow tomato gazpacho, again DH was served the same dish minus the ham. For this course you chose the oil and salt you wanted the croutons toasted in, and they were toasted table side by our server. DH chose Himalayan salt and walnut oil, I chose Brittany salt and mild olive oil.
IMG_1697.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

The tomatoes were so ripe they literally burst in your mouth, and the octopus was perfectly cooked and worked well with the tomato flavours. The gazpacho was thick and again had an incredibly intense tomato flavour, which was complemented by the soft creamy cheese.
IMG_1698.jpg

My next course was cold smoked Nimin Ranch lamb with Fuji apples and curry dressing. This was served with dry ice in the bottom of the bowl and when the apple cider was poured over the dish it created smoke, an impressive effect. I don’t normally enjoy lamb but this was incredible and was one of my favourite dishes of the night. The lamb was served medium rare but was so tender it melted in your mouth. The curry sauce had tons of flavour but wasn’t too spicy, and worked well with the radish and sweetness of the apples.

IMG_1700.jpg

DH had almost the same dish but with cold smoked Gulf Shrimp rather than lamb. The dish was paired with a Riesling which worked very well with the slightly sweet and spicy flavours.

The next course was Alaskan King Salmon cooked tableside on a heated Himalyan Salt Rock. We were given wasabi root served on shark skin boards to pair with the dish. This is the traditional method for grating wasabi root, and the root isn’t anywhere a near as spicy as the paste it’s traditionally served in. The salmon was cooked medium rare by Israel table side and was absolutely delcious. It was served with rice, wild mushrooms and edamame, the rice was perfectly cooked and the mushrooms worked very well with the salmon. This course was paired with ‘Bride of the Fox’ sake which I’m not a huge fan of, it was a very smooth sake and I had a little but it was my least favourite pairing.
IMG_1701.jpg

My next course was Roasted Quail with asian pears and serrano ham jus. The quail was nice and moist, served slightly pink. It paired well with the salty ham and sweet pear but I felt it wasn’t quite the knockout dish that the previous courses had been.
IMG_1702.jpg

DH had vegetable ratatouille in calamarata pasta. This was nice but was DH’s least favourite dish of the night. He said the ratatouille was delicious, really bringing out the flavours of the vegetables, the pasta was nicely cooked but DH felt it was over salted.
IMG_1703.jpg

Next for me was Veal Sweetbreads and shank with chanterelle mushroom ragout. This was veal cheek and sweetbreads, served with gnocchi (which was amazing), truffle foam, mushrooms and pieces of truffle. This was my least favourite dish of the night which I don’t think is anything to do with V&A, just my own food preferences. I’m not a huge red meat fan and I’d never actually eaten veal before, I’m sure it was cooked perfectly it just wasn’t my sort of dish really.
IMG_1704.jpg

DH had Truffle gnocchi, with chanterelle mushrooms and truffle foam. He said this was lovely, the gnocchi was incredibly soft and light, working well with the earthly mushroom and truffle flavours. Another winning dish.
IMG_1705.jpg

Wine pairing for main served in the biggest wine glass I’ve ever seen. I remembered to take a picture of this but totally forgot to take a picture of the food.
IMG_1706.jpg

This dish was probably the simplest of the night but was delicious, Australian kobe beef served rare, so good again it melted in your mouth served with elephant garlic potato puree, this was creamy and had a nice but not overpowering garlic flavour.

DH had Roasted Alaskan Sablefish with Arugula Pudding. I’m afraid I also forgot the picture of this but he must have enjoyed it as he cleared the plate!

They presented us a with huge cheeseboard and given a 15 min break before serving which was much needed at this point!
IMG_1707.jpg

We were served four different types of cheese, an english stilton, caveman blue, pecorino, and a Dutch edam.
They were served with range of accompaniments including poached pear, cinnamon nuts, date bread and cherry toasts. This was a very nice selection, but I would have preferred one soft cheese for a little more variety.
IMG_1710.jpg

Next the coffee brought out to brew, I love these coffee makers, they take a while to make the coffee but it tastes so good.
IMG_1711.jpg

Our first dessert was orange panna cotta with chartreuse pineapple sorbet with a tarragon twirl and pistachio sugar crisp. The panna cotta was so smooth but had a good orange flavour, a thin biscuit base adding a little crunch, along with the pistachio cookie. The Sorbet had an incredibly strong pineapple flavour which was very refreshing, the tarragon twirl added a unique slightly savoury taste to the dish but worked so well with the other components.
IMG_1712.jpg

Next was our second dessert, I was so full by this point I really struggled with this but what I did manage was amazing. Mocha-scented tanzanie chocolate mousse timbale served with a chocolate cocktail. The cocktail was warm with a chocolate orange taste with a hint of alcohol. The creamy chocolate mousse was rich and smooth served on a chocolate cauldron. The melon salsa added a lighter aspect to the dish and the white chocolate arch was coated with edible gold. Another fabulous dish but I wish I hadn’t been so full as I couldn’t enjoy it properly.
IMG_1713.jpg

Our server then came round with tray of chocolates, thy all looked amazing but I was too full. He insisted i try one so I asked for a mimosa one and he gave me two. These were very good chocolates, with a nice orange centre.
IMG_1714.jpg

Dh was also stuffed by this point, he asked for two and got three. I can’t remember what they all were but one was a chocolate covered cherry filled with brandy which he said was good.
IMG_1715.jpg

We settled the bill and I was given a rose, and a little bag with our menus and a loaf of orange date bread for breakfast. We actually didn’t open the bread until we got back home a couple of days later but it was fabulous, soft and moist with a good orange flavour.

IMG_1717.jpg

Overall this was probably the best (and most expensive!!) meal we’ve ever had. The food was amazing, service fantastic and the QVR has such a serene and calm atmosphere. We’ll definitely return to V&A and although I’m glad we tried the QVR I may go back to the main dining room next time. It was too much food for me and I quite enjoy being able to choose dishes from the menu that are more to my tastes (for example I would never had chosen veal from a menu), but it was definitely worth splurging for our anniversary!

Thanks for all the reviews and good photos! We are semi-vegetarians who eat a vegetarian diet plus most seafood, so it was really helpful to see DH's meals everywhere to know what to expect. We will be visiting WDW in May 2012 and are going to several of the restaurants you reviewed. We are looking for a picture of the vegetarian jambalaya at Boatwright's at POR but can't seem to find one on the boards. It is a new menu item that we are looking forward to trying! Anyway, thanks again. We enjoyed looking at your pics all morning. Now it's time to do some weekend chores.:laundy:

Overall this was probably the best (and most expensive!!) meal we’ve ever had. The food was amazing, service fantastic and the QVR has such a serene and calm atmosphere. We’ll definitely return to V&A and although I’m glad we tried the QVR I may go back to the main dining room next time. It was too much food for me and I quite enjoy being able to choose dishes from the menu that are more to my tastes (for example I would never had chosen veal from a menu), but it was definitely worth splurging for our anniversary!

My sentiments exactly. DW and I ate in the main dining room during our last trip and we were so full by the end of the meal, I cannot imagine eating the additional courses provided in the QVR (not to mention all the extra adult beverages!). For most people, V&A is an experience like no other. We really enjoyed it and will go again. Loving your TR and all the pics. I sure wish someone would invent a computer screen that has a scratch and sniff button!

I've just caught up :)
Wow V&A looks amazing
It's great to see your DH's options as i have always worried that not eating meat would mean a below par meal but his dishes look wonderful :)
Shame about the room at BLT
I just don't understand how they can overbook - just not fair
Looks like it all worked out well in the end though :)

Your "culinary" tour of WDW is to be commended! I don't know how you can eat all that food in a day though!!! (and I'm not just talking about the V&A day!). Whew! Maybe when I was like 19 or 20 could I pack down that amount of food, but definitely not now in my 40s! Just looking at your photos made me full :worship:

What a fantastic food "journey" you had while visiting the WDW resort!!! Amazing! And thanks so much for sharing!

We’d been given voucher for free piece of banana cream pie, so I chose that for dessert. This was so good, creamy pie with a strong banana flavour and big of chunks of sweet banana hidden inside, thick graham cracker base, topped with cream and caramel sauce. This was a huge slice which turned out to be a good thing as DH didn’t like his dessert so shared mine.

OMG that banana cream pie looked heavenly!!!!

I am literally **blown away** that you guys were able to eat like that for so many days in a row!!!

Your food pics are awesome, great commentary too. I feel like I've been around the (WD)World!!

Did you just go home, put on your expandable clothes and have a PB&J? I think I would have forgotten how to cook. Please tell me you put on a couple pounds. I think I did just going through this. You guys are hardcore--impressive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter