21 nights in WDW+DXDDP =over 300 food pics!! (& a huge weight gain!)COMPLETED 11/30!

what a wonderful report! I can't wait for your next trip! Will it also be DxDDP, and do you have any idea what restaurants you will be visiting??

what a wonderful report! I can't wait for your next trip! Will it also be DxDDP, and do you have any idea what restaurants you will be visiting??

Thank you very much. Yes we're getting the dxddp again next time, for another 14 nights, I can't wait.

We'll visit a lot of the same restaurants, ie all the signatures again but there's a few new places I want to try. So far these are Boatwrights, The Plaza, ESPN, Olivias, Turf Club and GF Cafe. It's probably quite sad that my trip is 9 months away and I already have a rough plan of where we want to eat!!

I think we're also going to go back to V&A which I'm really excited about!

I'm so sad your report is over! I loved checking in to see where you went next. Thanks for posting them.

V&A looked so good.

Great review of US restaurants. I have eaten at other Hard Rocks but never there.

Thanks for the reviews.

V&A looked so good.

Great review of US restaurants. I have eaten at other Hard Rocks but never there.

Thanks for the reviews.

V&A was fantastic. Thanks, I'd never eaten at a Hard Rock Cafe before but I really enjoyed our meal there. It's definitely one we'll return to next time.

I am VERY late to the party, and only on page 7, but I am loving your reviews!:goodvibes

Thank you very much, hope you enjoy the rest of them.

I just followed a link to this thread and all I can say is ... WOW! Your reviews make me want to do the DxDDP next time but I am afraid that we would not be able to fit in our airline seats on the way home!

I just followed a link to this thread and all I can say is ... WOW! Your reviews make me want to do the DxDDP next time but I am afraid that we would not be able to fit in our airline seats on the way home!

Thank you very much. We loved the dxddp but the weight gain is definitely the downside!!

what a great report, probably the most thorough and complete i have seen so far. The pics were great quality, i look forward to next year. I wish your husband would have tried the cheese though, its quite good. ;)

Just spent my evening reading your reviews. Wow. Thank you so much for your generosity in sharing with us. We will be AKL CL in January and have the Sunrise Safari booked. Question about the falafel- was it actually spicier at Boma and from room service than at Mara or do you think it was all the same stuff? We love falafel, just wondering. My DH will be in heaven having falafel available so readily.

what a great report, probably the most thorough and complete i have seen so far. The pics were great quality, i look forward to next year. I wish your husband would have tried the cheese though, its quite good. ;)

Thank you very much. And :rotfl: about the cheese!

Just spent my evening reading your reviews. Wow. Thank you so much for your generosity in sharing with us. We will be AKL CL in January and have the Sunrise Safari booked. Question about the falafel- was it actually spicier at Boma and from room service than at Mara or do you think it was all the same stuff? We love falafel, just wondering. My DH will be in heaven having falafel available so readily.

Thank you very much, hope you enjoy AKL concierge and the sunrise safari (we loved both!). The falafel seemed different from the Mara as opposed to Boma/Room Service. The Boma falafel was very crispy on the outside and small balls of it, while the Mara falafel was softer, larger patties of falafel, with a bit less kick to them. I enjoyed both but prefered the falafel pita from The Mara.

I'm just now finishing reading your wonderful trip report and wanted to thank you for all the incredible pictures! You've certainly helped me decide on a few meals! :)

I'm just now finishing reading your wonderful trip report and wanted to thank you for all the incredible pictures! You've certainly helped me decide on a few meals! :)

Thank you very much. And I'm really glad my review helped you out, hope you enjoy the restaurants you've picked.

Thank you so much for your great reviews - I have enjoyed reading them so much. :goodvibes

:goodvibes
Ok, I've finally got the first lot of pictures uploaded and resized so I'm ready to go.

Our journey actually began the day before we flew to Orlando, as we had to get down to London Gatwick to catch our flight. As it wasn't disney food, I didn't bother capturing pics of what we ate this day, but we did pay a visit to Europe's longest champagne bar (located in London St Pancras station).

I'm a real cocktail fan (as you'll see throughout this review), and I decided that while we were near by we'd have to try a champagne cocktail from the bar. They were very good, but very expensive. It came to £22.50 for the 2 drinks, which given todays exchange rate is just over $38! Definitely the most expensive cocktails of the holiday!
CHP_bar.jpg

The next day our flight was due to leave at 12:45. I've never taken pictures of airline food before, but we were flying Virgin Upper Class for the first time, and the food definitely wasn't your typical airline food (they even set the your tray table with a tablecloth and everything!!).

To start it was Cauliflower Cheese soup. Nice but a little bland.
Upp_soup.jpg

For my main I had chicken stuffed with feta and spinach, served with lentils. This tasted better than it looked (it was a weird shade of green inside the chicken)
upp_main.jpg

For dessert I chose rhubarb mousse which was nice and light.
upp_pud.jpg

Later on the flight we were served afternoon tea, which was some tasty sandwiches and a scone with cream and jam.
upp_snack.jpg

We had a Boma reservation for 8:30 that night, which should have been plenty of time. However our flight was delayed around an hour and a half, and we were stuck in the slowest immigration queue ever, so it was after half eight by the time we arrived at the lodge. We decided just to get room service instead, and shared a meal as neither of us were particularly hungry.

For an appetiser we got the cheese plate. This was absolutely huge, consisting of Brie, a very good creamy, garlicky cheese, 2 hard cheeses and plenty of lavosh bread, grapes and strawberries. A few of the grapes were mouldy but aside from that it was a nice appetiser.
akrmserv1_cheese.jpg

For main we shared the Vegetarian taste of Boma. This was a reasonable substitute for missing our Boma reservation, and included cous cous (nice), fufu (I just love that stuff, it's is very sweet but I have a real sweet tooth), potato wedges (ok, not particularly flavourful), rice which was ok, falafel (quite spicy), roasted veg and I think some pap at the back, which was like plantain.
AKL_rmser_1.jpg

For dessert I picked the Giant Zebra Dome!! This was really good, and was just a mega sized version of the ones served in Boma. You could really taste the amarula, and had a nice creamy texture. It was served with a pot of mango coulis, which overpowered the zebra dome slightly, but was tasty when eaten by itself.
ak_rmser1_pud.jpg

So that was our first days eating, with not too much Disney food due to our late arrival time.

Stay tuned for tomorrow when it's WDW food all the way, and I'll update with Sci Fi diner and Yachtsman. Thanks for reading.

the zebra dome looks delicous.what is it?It looks like white chocolate.

Thanks for sharing all of your wonderful reviews and pics. It was great fun reading about your adventures. I look forward to your next trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter