2022 DIS CON Weather Planning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, like others, am trying to figure out a way to make this trip work. My husband can’t call out of work at the drop of a hat. So we’re just kinda watching the storm and hoping we can make it down either the day we planned (Thurs), the night before, or possibly on Friday. At some point, it almost becomes not worth it. Not that I still don’t want to attend, but there is no saying that everything will be a go if we do make it down. A flight down on Sat am, flying back on Sun, sounds less than desirable. The airports will be almost guaranteed to be backed up with flights by then. Just a mess, and I don’t blame GKTW for this. They are stuck in the same logistical nightmare. Hoping to see all of you still….trying to remain optimistic🤞🤞🤞

Hello DISers! I hope you're enjoying a lovely cuppa chamomile, vervain or whatever calming libation brings you a moment to simply breathe and be.

The NHC has issued their advisory, and one of the main takeaways for me is the uncertainty of the path 4-5 days out. I have to make my go/no-go call by Monday night. Unless we get an update about the con, Tuesday morning I'll be on a plane and planning to ride out whatever may come. I'm bringing materials for 2-3 days without running water, power, etc. Basically, with the uncertainty, I'm treating it like I'm back in my home parish in Louisiana and hoping not to be a burden to the local services. (Although, cause I'm flying I'm not going to have the water situation handled in advance.)

Here's some items that you might find helpful for riding out a storm:
- Wet wipes for when shower/water pressure goes out. Dry shampoo or a blend of arrowroot & orris powder.
- Clorox wipes for cleaning hands before eating and no running water.
- Flashlights, extra batteries, battery radio.
- Lightweight clothes if power goes out and it's mid80 or warmer in the hotel. Cooling towels/ fast dry towels. (laundry maybe impacted.)
- Tear open food packets, ziplock bags, water and more water. Compostable utensils (see Clorox above).
- Non-harmful tape to seal tub for extra water on hand to flush commode, if it will flush with power out. (I'm a little ignorant on large hotel commode flush functionality.)
- Your best practices for sheltering in place for 1-3 days.

PS. JetBlue finally posted their weather waiver: https://www.jetblue.com/travel-alerts#tropical-storm-ian-florida-fee-waiver

At some point, it almost becomes not worth it. Not that I still don’t want to attend, but there is no saying that everything will be a go if we do make it down. A flight down on Sat am, flying back on Sun, sounds less than desirable.
This. I was annoyed at one Disney board for saying "make sure your vacation has enough wiggle room to handle a day or two of flight delays!" Like many others I'm sure, I come down after work on Thursday and need to fly out first thing Monday morning. If I can't get down there until sometime Saturday, there's almost no point in going. :( I'm hoping we get more news soon.

Last edited:
My plans significanly changed last week when my parents aren't able to travel to their camper in Daytona, so I went into action to see if I was able to swing a weekend trip to get to the EPCOT after party. I worked it out that I am flying into Sanford on Friday evening and leaving on Sunday.

After following the the National Hurricane Center (nhc.noaa.gov), I have the option of changing my flight until Saturday and flying out Monday. Tomorrow (Tuesday) is my drop day to change everything...i.e. rental car, hotel.

I am hoping I don't have to change it, but I still have time...not much but some.

I'm not sure how they are looking at the timeline that's required to put on the convention, or ways they are mitigating planned experiences or events if they cannot be set-up in time. Here's what I would love as an attendee, learning from conventions having to very quickly pivot during the pandemic.

I would love an announcement that lays out the circumstances that would require them to postpone or cancel. Is it:
- we'll run if only xx% of panelists, staff and exhibitors attend
- we'll run regardless of panelists or exhibitors attendance
- we'll only cancel if local city, state or host hotel require us to cancel due to storm emergency regulations
- other criteria, etc.

Some conventions can only cancel when the liability clause is met. For example, conventions during the pandemic waited until there was a "Force Majeure" so that they would not be liable for downstream financial consequences cancelling on their own. When the city required that there were no large event gatherings, the liability clause was met and they promptly cancelled.

So considering the very wobbly nature of a hurricane, especially Ian, it would be helpful to know what sort of criteria the team is looking at for confirming go/ no-go for DIScon. This wandering cone is like me tottering through a shop of adorable Figment knick-knacks. Oh! Shiny! :cutie:
You said it perfectly. As an attendee, I would simply like some information, versus silence. I was thinking about the presenters - they have to get to Orlando and I'm certain they weren't planning on landing 1 hour before their presentation .. many of them must be planning on overnight stays. Airlines are going to be cancelling flights. It seems to me that this is going to be a big fat mess. As far as me, I'm driving so I'm just doing a "wait and see" and hoping that everyone stays safe. Again, getting there is going to be an issue I think for anyone who isn't local or semi-local.

Well….matters just got stickier. Went to extend my reservation to get there tomorrow and there is nothing available. DVC was loaded with availability last
night. Either Disney has blocked the rooms or locals/others had the same idea as me. What a difference a day makes.

Well….matters just got stickier. Went to extend my reservation to get there tomorrow and there is nothing available. DVC was loaded with availability last
night. Either Disney has blocked the rooms or locals/others had the same idea as me. What a difference a day makes.
That was my plan as well once we got word whether the con was a go or no-go or "other." If I reserved DVC now without having the hurricane policy in effect, my points would be in holding and must be used by this Friday 09/30. I prefer to stay on Disney property, so I'm bummed to hear about the DVC availability. I saw wide availability like you yesterday. My backup Hampton Inn plan goes into major penalty/fee if I don't cancel tonight. So no matter what, if I'm coming down for DIScon by flight, the call has to be made today. :(

Yes, I checked yesterday for Wednesday. There were rooms at All Star for $150 a night. There was a lot of availability. Today, only the Grand is available for pocket change, $717 a night. I still plan on coming up on Wednesday though, I'll probably stay off property for the 1 night then move to CS on Thursday morning.

That was my plan as well once we got word whether the con was a go or no-go or "other." If I reserved DVC now without having the hurricane policy in effect, my points would be in holding and must be used by this Friday 09/30. I prefer to stay on Disney property, so I'm bummed to hear about the DVC availability. I saw wide availability like you yesterday. My backup Hampton Inn plan goes into major penalty/fee if I don't cancel tonight. So no matter what, if I'm coming down for DIScon by flight, the call has to be made today. :(
Yeah….great minds think alike and we’re in the same quandary. We’re checking out the other local hotels but not terribly crazy about staying off property either😕

I live in the Tampa area and know a lot of locals that booked in the Disney/Orlando area after the 11PM update last night. I myself just switched my reservation yesterday from Coronado Springs to the Ft. Wilderness cabins so I could bring my dogs.
In hindsight, I probably should have seen this coming. Between locals and workers who may have to stay onsite this was probably bound to happen

Yes, I checked yesterday for Wednesday. There were rooms at All Star for $150 a night. There was a lot of availability. Today, only the Grand is available for pocket change, $717 a night. I still plan on coming up on Wednesday though, I'll probably stay off property for the 1 night then move to CS on Thursday morning.
Yeah…I saw that room at GF and didn’t even mention it to my husband. As delightful as I’m sure that it is, I‘m somehow sure it isn’t $717 delightful

They really need to say SOMETHING. Doesn’t matter WHAT, just ACKNOWLEDGE it. I commented on the DIS Con FB page “any updates regarding weather?” And my comment was promptly deleted.
I’m due to fly in Thursday afternoon (leaving New England at 10:48 am) and stay at Saratoga (DVC points)
This is a terrible look for them.

I called Disney Signature Services to understand what's gonna happen Thursday, since many of us have check-in dates for Thursday. Basically, as I understand it, if the city or state has put out a "shelter in place" curfew, meaning that no one should be on the roads but emergency responders, they will not check people in or allow entry. For example, I would not be able to move from my hotel to free up the room on check-out day and wait for a room at Coronado. If a shelter-in-place order is given, then I have to hang tight at the room of the hotel when the order is given. Now, who knows if such an order will be given by local officials, but if it is, it could be impactful to check-out/check-in folks, as well as just getting into the resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter