• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2021 Disney Vacation Club Member Cruise to the Western Caribbean! June 12, 2021!

After being told by one rep a couple of weeks ago, before my billing cycle closed, that the purchase would qualify, the response to my request for a correction after seeing the statement said it did not qualify. They listed qualifying purchases and DVC was not included, yet their website says DVC is included.

They’ve referred me, and several others here, to their Terms & Conditions. I’ve already requested a copy of those be sent to me, since those are not posted online. I should receive them sometime next week. I’m thinking I will wait until I get those before pushing back to them again. Things do change, and their website also says those are subject to change,

Something is wrong somewhere, both with the inconsistent replies from the reps and the inconsistent handling of the charges compared to their website wording. However this ends up, they need the feedback so it doesn’t happen again.

I think it’s helpful we are sharing our experiences here, as I think it would be tougher going solo. In our convos with Chase we can share that our own situation is not unique and there is a bigger overall problem.

For the five of us who’ve been posting the experiences with Chase - I’ve gone back through all comments since @maburke first posted on 8/29. An observation- when the contact is a call, they are told by Chase the charge Would/should qualify, but the promised written confirmation says it does not qualify. However, those whose contact is email, the email response is that it does not qualify. I’m the one exception to the first contact email - my first email response from Chase said it would, now their email says it does not.

^ so true. We were told initially that it would qualify, and since then it’s been negative, but we have not been given a valid reason. We were told at one point no, because it was a timeshare purchase, which it is not, and yet timeshare purchases in the past have gotten the 0% promotion.

Tom has sent a detailed letter to someone at Chase. We hope for a positive outcome.

For the five of us who’ve been posting the experiences with Chase - I’ve gone back through all comments since @maburke first posted on 8/29. An observation- when the contact is a call, they are told by Chase the charge Would/should qualify, but the promised written confirmation says it does not qualify. However, those whose contact is email, the email response is that it does not qualify. I’m the one exception to the first contact email - my first email response from Chase said it would, now their email says it does not.

I mentioned that in my email to Chase. One answer from the rep on the phone but another in written response.
I received a generic response today which outlined how the APR promotional rate works which did not answer the question about why it doesn't qualify.

I’ve received the official and entire Terms and Conditions from Chase. Caveat - I have the Premier Visa so don’t know If these would be different for the regular Visa as the letter says these are specific to my account.

Here is the entire section on the promotional financing - and I note there are no dollar parameters as some of us have been given in the email responses From Chase. Also note that DVC is included, which some Chase responses have talked about only vacation packages being eligible with no mention of DVC.

1EC20433-96F2-4589-A88A-5A42552F0FDA.jpeg

I received a generic response today which outlined how the APR promotional rate works which did not answer the question about why it doesn't qualify.
Same here - it does not qualify with no reason why. Going back to them today with their T&Cs, asking for clarification.

Same here - it does not qualify with no reason why. Going back to them today with their T&Cs, asking for clarification.

I responded that they still didn't answer the question and provided the specific transaction info and the following:

"This transaction should be listed under the Qualifying Promotional Financing section of my billing statement. It was not. All previous DVC travel transactions were qualified promotions. Why wasn't this transaction? I have called about this issue once and this is the second message about it. I would like my billing statement updated to reflect that the DVC transaction is a qualified transaction. Please let me know when to expect my updated billing statement. Thank you for your time."

Awaiting their response.

I’ve received the official and entire Terms and Conditions from Chase. Caveat - I have the Premier Visa so don’t know If these would be different for the regular Visa as the letter says these are specific to my account.

Here is the entire section on the promotional financing - and I note there are no dollar parameters as some of us have been given in the email responses From Chase. Also note that DVC is included, which some Chase responses have talked about only vacation packages being eligible with no mention of DVC.

View attachment 525524
That is very helpful. I think this statement near the endmakes it quite clear: "All Disney Cruise Line packages...qualify."

We just need to find out who has the authority to fix this. I am going to follow up with the marketing department, as that's what the rep I spoke to said makes the determination.

That is very helpful. I think this statement near the endmakes it quite clear: "All Disney Cruise Line packages...qualify."

We just need to find out who has the authority to fix this. I am going to follow up with the marketing department, as that's what the rep I spoke to said makes the determination.
Please share contact info for the marketing dept as I’d like to speak with them as well. Thanks!

I received the following response via Chase. Maybe we'll finally get an answer.

"I forwarded your message to the appropriate department for review. You should receive a response within two business days. We appreciate and value your banking relationship. It is important to us that we address your needs as a Chase customer. "

@islandsnoopy should get a response in two business days; my latest reply from Chase Received today says the appropriate department will respond within five business days,

Received response below: Chase is throwing this back to DVC. Anyone know who in DVC to kick this up to? Terri Schultz?

" to qualify for the 0% Disney Vacation Promotion, it is based upon how the merchant processes the transaction. At this time the information provide by Disney for the Disney Vacation does not meet the qualifications for the promotion. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. "

Received response below: Chase is throwing this back to DVC. Anyone know who in DVC to kick this up to? Terri Schultz?

" to qualify for the 0% Disney Vacation Promotion, it is based upon how the merchant processes the transaction. At this time the information provide by Disney for the Disney Vacation does not meet the qualifications for the promotion. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. "
I think that’s the same response @bobbiwoz received, and when Tom went back to DVC, DVC said they hadn’t keyed if any differently. Quite the stand-off between the two.

I’ve received the same response from Chase. Time to do some research on past DVC MC charges before I go back to them. I plan to start with Chase to try to get more specific information from them on the past MC charges vs this one, to get them to explain in detail what is different on their side about this year’s charge,

I think that’s the same response @bobbiwoz received, and when Tom went back to DVC, DVC said they hadn’t keyed if any differently. Quite the stand-off between the two.
Yes, the supervisor Tom spoke to says they did not key in the charge any different than in the past.

I wonder if we can find someone who has recently paid points and cash for a DCL Cruise, one not a DVC Member Cruise. That would shed some light on the situation. Perhaps DVC is being thrown out of the “valid travel agency” category. I think THAT would not be right, but it could be a reason.

I already e-mailed Terri Schultz and she is looking into. I will keep you posted.

Here is the result of my statement research and convo this morning with Chase -

Looked at my prior MC charges going back to 2014. On the statements for 2014-2019, the DVC MC charge shows DVC with a 407 area code phone number. The 2020 DVC MC charge shows with an 800 area code phone #. The charges were all categorized as Travel, so maybe there is something internal to Chase to see them differently as Chase is saying.

Called Chase to ask for specific detailed info on how the charges look on their side, what is different between the 2019 charge and the 2020 charge. I need that detail to go back to DVC.

Chase explains each charge has a Merchant Category Code which determines how Chase sees the charge and whether the charge will qualify for the 0%. I asked for the different category codes on the 2019 and 2020 charges, to take back to DVC as DVC said the charges had been keyed the same on their side (thanks @bobbiwoz for that info!).

Chase looks up the merchant category codes, and finds that those codes are the same code for both the 2019 charge and the 2020 charge. And she says category code is valid for the 0% promo in 2020. So, the charge should have been categorized under the 0%. And she can’t figure out why it didn’t process to the 0%. She has opened an escalation ticket on their side to research why a charge with a 0% promo-eligible merchant category code was not processed with the 0% promo on their side.

Stay tuned....

Eagerly awaiting Schultz's response @poohj80! Hoping it's resolved real soon.

Thanks to all for sharing your experiences dealing with this issue!
She was not aware of the issue but, initially, also not sure what they might be able to do to rectify it. She said they would reach out to Chase so hoping she has better contacts than we do.

Thank you @Mathmagicland for those details!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter