2020 Point Charts

I just pulled out the point chart from when I bought in 1999. I originally planned 6 nights at OKW in May and 6 nights at BWV (Standard) in December, both 1 bedrooms.

OKW - 148 then, 167 in 2020
BWV - 122 then, 134 in 2020

So an extra 31 points a year needed. I don’t follow this pattern anymore because circumstances changed. Now I mostly stay in studios, varying times of year.

Looks like BLT's 1br and studios took the brunt of the increase. For my typical dates in February, I'm looking at an increase of 14 points per week for a studio. I guess I'll have to budget for another 25 point purchase in 2019 to maintain my 10 night yearly vacation.

I can only hope that next year they again raise the studios, but then also lower the 1 bedrooms. It boggles my mind as to why 1 brs were raised. Now a 2 bedroom in some cases are only 6 points more than a 1 bedroom (BWV standard view Adventure and Choice).

Laura

I don’t understand it either, especially when a studio sleeps 5 and a 1 bedroom 4 at BWV. 1 bedrooms are usually the last left.

I just went thru a comparison of 2019 and 2020 points for BWV. I was told that although points can be reallocated between seasons and room types , the overall points must remain the same. Based on the charts I got from here, the 2020 point chart for BWV is 136 more points needed for 2020 versus 2019. This cannot stand if my math is correct as it would fly in the face of what everyone was told about points not increasing per year just reallocating. Points needed across the board in every season would be 10382 pts in 2020 while in 2019 we only needed 10246pts. Check it out and see if my math is correct.

Definitely makes me more likely to choose a 2 BR over "squeezing" our family of 4 into a 1 BR. Surely I can't be the only one. Wonder what they were thinking?

I just went thru a comparison of 2019 and 2020 points for BWV. I was told that although points can be reallocated between seasons and room types , the overall points must remain the same. Based on the charts I got from here, the 2020 point chart for BWV is 136 more points needed for 2020 versus 2019. This cannot stand if my math is correct as it would fly in the face of what everyone was told about points not increasing per year just reallocating. Points needed across the board in every season would be 10382 pts in 2020 while in 2019 we only needed 10246pts. Check it out and see if my math is correct.
BWV is difficult to determine because the points needed for a 2BR is not the same as 1 studio + 1 1BR. And EVERY 2BR is a lock-off, so it could be booked either way.

I haven't done any math, but wanted to point out that something similar happened in the past. One of the regulars here on the DIS (sorry, can't remember who) called MS about it and was told that the classification of some units that face the Village Green was changed from Preferred to Standard, thus reducing the total number of points needed for Standard view villas by the amount of the increase elsewhere.

Essentially, without knowing how many villas of each size there are in each booking category (which can be changed), it's difficult to calculate the total points for the year.

Do your calculations take into consideration the how many of each unit type exists for the resort?

Are you calculating the point totals based on the units (Studio, 1BR, 2BR) weighted costs as a percentage of all the units?

You also have to multiply by the number of rooms in each category.

But there is a normal year-to-year variation in point totals because not every year has the same number of weekend days. And 2020 is a leap year.

Far more owners using studio and 1-bedroom units than renters. It would be like using a grenade to kill a housefly... while it’s at the dining room table... with the people who live there eating.
:rotfl2:

Like I said, it was a tinfoil hat moment. However, I'm struggling to reconcile why studios and 1BR rates were raised. I'm open to hearing all conspiracy theories! :D

The total number of points to book the whole resort has to be the same, so taking into account also the different amount or rooms in each category. Also a change in view category might happen, so while it could seem that all the charthas gone up, the whole resort points are the same because now there are more cheaper rooms (like it happened at BLT when more rooms were reclassified as standard). So looking just at the point chart, sum everything and compare the total doesn't work.

I can only hope that next year they again raise the studios, but then also lower the 1 bedrooms. It boggles my mind as to why 1 brs were raised. Now a 2 bedroom in some cases are only 6 points more than a 1 bedroom (BWV standard view Adventure and Choice).

Laura
That’s really mind boggling, mine at least.

Not sure how you did your calculations, but I know the reallocations depend on the year you use for a base. My understanding is that there is a base year (I don't know what year it is) that is used to do the calculations. This would be necessary because there are differing numbers of weekend nights each year.

AFAIK, there is also a small +/- deviation allowed, but I do not know what that is, either.

No I only totaled the weekly amounts in each category or rooms across the board for each season and then added all seasons together for 2019 then did same thing for 2020 and got a 136 point difference. I don't remember there being a difference before of that much but then again I have been a member for 20 years and I never saw such a large adjustment In early years it would balance out. Like I said I'm not a math whiz but it doesn't look right to me. Leap year could account for difference

:rotfl2:

Like I said, it was a tinfoil hat moment. However, I'm struggling to reconcile why studios and 1BR rates were raised. I'm open to hearing all conspiracy theories! :D
Don’t have a conspiracy theory, but I have a cynic’s theory. It’s because of this:
Definitely makes me more likely to choose a 2 BR over "squeezing" our family of 4 into a 1 BR. Surely I can't be the only one. Wonder what they were thinking?
This was one of my first thoughts as well and we’re just a family of 3. Imagine all the families of 4 and 5 who used to “spread out” in a 1BR.

The smaller that gap gets, the nicer it sounds to have that second bedroom instead of slummin’ it like a peasant in a measly 1BR... I’ll just need more points.

:sad2:

I haven't done any math, but wanted to point out that something similar happened in the past. One of the regulars here on the DIS (sorry, can't remember who) called MS about it and was told that the classification of some units that face the Village Green was changed from Preferred to Standard, thus reducing the total number of points needed for Standard view villas by the amount of the increase elsewhere.

Essentially, without knowing how many villas of each size there are in each booking category (which can be changed), it's difficult to calculate the total points for the year.
That is not something I took into account and does affect my calculations. thank you

Don’t have a conspiracy theory, but I have a cynic’s theory. It’s because of this:

This was one of my first thoughts as well and we’re just a family of 3. Imagine all the families of 4 and 5 who used to “spread out” in a 1BR.

The smaller that gap gets, the nicer it sounds to have that second bedroom instead of slummin’ it like a peasant in a measly 1BR... I’ll just need more points.

:sad2:
Yes. It’s all about selling more points. More to those who unfortunately just bought enough for a studio week, more for new purchasers, more for those of us who’ve squeezed into a 1 bed with 5 people. Getting very cynical over here, but with reason I think.

Summary table for weekday studios via DVC News is below. Like others, I find it baffling that they would raise the cost of one bedrooms when they are the last to book.

b_1200_800_0_10_images_stories_features_WDW_Studio_2019_2020c.png

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts