2017 Epcot International Food and Wine Festival: August 31, 2017 - November 13, 2017

Home from food and wine and back on the salad and water diet while we detox!:rotfl2: In addition to my previous Wednesday post on what we have tried, we can add cheesy bread in Brazil, street taco in Mexico (both very yummy!) and pistachio cardammom cake in India ( cakes could have been served warm which would have made it better as it tasted cold and stale.

Ernie Els Chardonnay in South Africa was so so, citrus thistle in Scotland good but overly sweet, blackwater porter from flavors from fire good and I thought a slight chocolate taste and white sangria inislands of the Caribbean also just so so.

We did not do the sample tabs this year as we weren't doing food or drinks for the most part over the break even point. We did load up a gift card which was must less of a hassle than paying every time and/or charging to our room and getting 14 pages of charges at checkout :rolleyes1

I think we have attended our last Party for the Senses. We were so underwhelmed last night. We found the set up to be horrible. We kept being bumped by people as we sat in our reserved seat. The problem was having vendors in the middle with tables too close to them as well as way too many people. There were not as many entree dishes and a lot of deserts. The DJ was good, but the main entertainment of violin players playing current music did nothing for us. We left at 9 and more than half the people had already left. I truly feel like we wasted our money. I'm sorry this is the case because we look forward to it ever year and this was our 8th.

I think we have attended our last Party for the Senses. We were so underwhelmed last night. We found the set up to be horrible. We kept being bumped by people as we sat in our reserved seat. The problem was having vendors in the middle with tables too close to them as well as way too many people. There were not as many entree dishes and a lot of deserts. The DJ was good, but the main entertainment of violin players playing current music did nothing for us. We left at 9 and more than half the people had already left. I truly feel like we wasted our money. I'm sorry this is the case because we look forward to it ever year and this was our 8th.
I am so disappointed to hear this, but this was similar to our experience the previous Saturday. We are really unsure if we'll be back.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sorry to hear it was so underwhelming. I'd have been very disappointed with a dessert-heavy menu too. Maybe they could make it a "sweet treat" theme night so guests would at least know what they were getting when they signed up. As for the set-up, I'd really hoped seats for all would be a good thing but seems like it's proving to be a challenge. For me, personally, I thought the dance floor was wasted space, but I'm not sure that's enough to alleviate the congestion. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!!

Remember the 3d Dessert Discovery Party? It was dessert themed and was one of my favorites. It was also 1/3 of the price.

Remember the 3d Dessert Discovery Party? It was dessert themed and was one of my favorites. It was also 1/3 of the price.
Yes, one of my favorite F&W events. I was disappointed when it was cancelled.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sorry to hear it was so underwhelming. I'd have been very disappointed with a dessert-heavy menu too. Maybe they could make it a "sweet treat" theme night so guests would at least know what they were getting when they signed up. As for the set-up, I'd really hoped seats for all would be a good thing but seems like it's proving to be a challenge. For me, personally, I thought the dance floor was wasted space, but I'm not sure that's enough to alleviate the congestion. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!!
I agree on all pints and we are having a great time.

Hope you write guest services, as your 8th party you certainly know what to expect with regards to entrees:desserts ratio! Sounds like it's unusual for people to leave that early?

@gottalovepluto when is your party?
Last one on Nov 11. We're Reserved Seating. This thread pretty much dies out if I remember right the last week or two of the festival but I'll report back on our experience for those looking to see if anything changed and for those looking for party reviews when deciding for next year! As a first timer I would definitely be able to observe something like "people were banging into my seat all night" but I wouldn't have a clue if they were subbing out entrees for desserts. I wonder who decides that anyway? The chefs or Disney?

Still quite looking forward to my first party! I'd just decided to wear a nicer dress (it being a party and all!) but the idea of someone bumping into my seat and correspondingly dumping their food or drink on me has me re-thinking this...

Curious about the Light Lab. I've seen a picture online somewhere that has a counter serving the draft beer (beer flights?) outside of the actual light lab, can I take my drink I get there into the Light Lab to drink them? I'm interested in trying one of the flights but would enjoy seeing the inside of the lab.

Curious about the Light Lab. I've seen a picture online somewhere that has a counter serving the draft beer (beer flights?) outside of the actual light lab, can I take my drink I get there into the Light Lab to drink them? I'm interested in trying one of the flights but would enjoy seeing the inside of the lab.

Yes, you can take whatever you want with you into the "lab" room.

Thanks for posting your experience - I really hate to hear this. We are attending the party next Saturday and I am getting a little nervous with all the negative comments I've been hearing. Most of our party has been before so we know what to expect but we do have a couple of new attendees. PFTS has always been a must do for us so I hope it lives up to expectations.

We attended the What's Cooking with... Geoffrey Zakarian.
We were served brunch, then Geoffrey Zakarian made shrimp and grits and we were served that too.
IMG_2977.JPG
IMG_2976.JPG
IMG_2975.JPG

IMG_2973.JPG
My meatless plate was served with something I did not taste.
IMG_2974.JPG
My shrimp and grits were served with a meatless item..
IMG_2971.JPG

Last edited:
The Mix It, Make It, Celebrate It we attended was Tiramisu. All the ingredients were ready for us. The Chef demonstrated and walked us through making it.
IMG_2879.JPG
I'm a great chef!!
IMG_2878.JPG

We also received a cute Food and Wine Festival trivet as a gift.

This was my first F&W festival. I'm looking forward to returning next year, later though so it isn't as hot. I'll definitely do Party for the Senses (reserved), the Italian Lunch, What's Cooking with..., and Mix It, Make It again next year. I also enjoyed the French breakfast, but I'm not sure I'll do it again.

Last edited:
At Epcot now. Almond Orchard have run out of the Moet & Chandon Brut Rose Imperial Champagne. Forgot to ask if/when they are expecting more in. Will try to remember to ask when I walk past later.

Got back from our trip last night. Spent a good deal of time at Food and Wine. It was our first time at the festival, and I really enjoyed it. Will definitely go back again.

Here's my assessment of the food I tried:

Active Eats: Roasted Verlasso salmon (very good), cucumber and lemon-lime hard sparkling water (very good, and actually packed a punch, unlike some other alcohol offerings I could name).

Coastal Eats: Baked shrimp scampi dip (very good; brought extra bread (had a baguette from France in my bag) which was good as they do not give you nearly enough bread), seared scallops (OK, scallops not really my thing but someone offered me a few bits and I wasn't about to say no).

Chocolate Studio: Liquid nitro chocolate-almond truffle (very good! plus who can resist the chance to try something prepared in such an unusual way?).

Cheese Studio: Cheese trio (quite good if a bit small; very pleasantly surprised by the strawberry macaron with pepper cheese, as I was skeptical about this).

Australia: Bush berry shrimp (very good; shrimp nicely cooked and sauce had just a bit of heat to it), Lamington (good though I'm not a coconut fan; however, I'd heard this cake mentioned in a book set in Australia and felt I should try it).

Patagonia: Beef empanada (tasty but not amazing).

Hawaii: Spam Hash (very good and something different, really enjoyed it), pineapple wine (refreshing!), and grilled tuna tatami (only got one bite of someone else's but I liked it a lot).

China: Roasted duck bun (a bit disappointing but I want to try it again and see if I just got a "meh" one. Liked the texture of the bun.)

Africa: Jam Jar Sweet Shiraz (liked this a lot. I like sweet wines and it's so hard to find a good sweet red. Definitely getting a bottle at BevMo.)

Italy: Frozen margarita with limoncello and tequila (tasted nice but had absolutely no punch to it).

Morocco: Mimosa royale (possibly my favorite beverage of the festival, light and refreshing).

Belgium: Waffle with chocolate ganache and whipped cream (om nom nom nom).

Brazil: cheese bread (delicious! and the cookbook has the recipe), crispy pork belly (the only flat-out disappointment; it was not nearly crispy enough, and the fat part was just an inedible blob).

France: warm goat cheese pudding (delicious!), croissant aux escargot (really good, snails were not too chewy), and passion fruit martini slush (second-favorite beverage).

Ireland: irish cheddar and stout dip (tasted good even though it's not visually appealing, but I've made cheddar and stout fondue and there's no way to make it nice looking. Have extra bread helped).

Scotland: Potato pancake with smoked salmon (very good. Pancake was crispy and paired very well with generous amount of smoked salmon and the sour cream).

Canada: cheddar cheese soup (delicious as always, soup had lots of bacon in it), filet mignon (tender and with excellent flavor), apple ice wine (always love this but the serving was tiny!).

Also got Dole Whips at Refreshment Post, because it was hot out.

Didn't see any of the fabled roving drunkards at the festival, but I was having mobility issues thanks to spraining my foot badly a few weeks back, and I was too busy watching where I was going to do much people watching.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter