2014 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ: Vacationing in Grand Style!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I scrolled through a few pages but can't scroll through hundreds--lol! We are staying here for the 1st time next spring. Booked an Outer Bldg--Garden View room. Are there certain building(s) I should or should not be requesting or are they all pretty much equal? TIA :)

Others have answered your question, but I thought I'd chime in as well. The GF really isn't all that spread out and while some outer buildings are closer to the main areas than others, nothing is really that far away. With that said, Big Pine Key and Boca Chica are my favorites for GV and are great choices if you want to be next to the courtyard pool. Big Pine Key is closer to the main building and beach pool, but Boca Chica is just a few more steps. Sago Cay and Conch Key are over by the marina and are closer to Gasparilla's and the buses, with Conch being right by the boat dock. With all of that said, none of the outer buildings are bad choices as they all have great views, it just depends on if there's a particular area you want to be closer to. Also, as KonaKaiTom mentioned, there are some "less desirable" views in Big Pine Key as some rooms overlook the back of the pool house, but even those aren't horrible, IMO. If BPK is one you'd like to request, you could also request "higher floor, 4th or above" to avoid the pool house view. Have a great trip and enjoy the GF :wizard:.

MickeyNuts More time to make more plans...:surfweb: lol...

Let the planning begin :thumbsup2.

Packing is finally done and we leave tomorrow!

Safe travels. Have a great trip :).

Since the kids won't be in until early evening, we planned a late dinner at Artist Point.

Artist Point is one of our favorites, enjoy :goodvibes.

Good Evening :wave2:

Sorry I've been MIA.......
Lot's of stuff going on, caught a nasty :sick: from a friends son I'm finally starting to feel better but not 100% yet....Then last week week had to make a hard decision regarding one of our :cat: :(:worried::sad::sad1:
So I was planning a faux trip but no matter the date or resort there was nothing available......Anyone know when the 2015 planning DVD's will be out?

BlueSkies MickeyNut WishesQueen grannyminnie & Maxie
Hi

Hi ahcupcake...good to "see" you back :flower3:.

I'm sorry about your kitty, it's so hard to lose a pet. I hope you're doing ok :hug:.

Good luck with your faux trip, I hope everything works out and you are able to book something and get back to the GF :wizard:.

I'm not sure when the next year's DVDs come out, but hopefully someone else will be able to help with that ;).

Hope everyone has a magical day! :wizard: Stormy day here, but we can use the rain, so no problems....that is, until I have to get out in it!

Your trip is so close, just 5 more days :cool1::cool1:.

It's rainy and windy here, too. I'm with you, I can handle this weather as long as I don't have to go out in it ;).

Thank you for all of the information about the Grand Floridian. We may be staying here August of 2015. I found a lot of helpful information. Thanks again! :thumbsup2

Welcome to the GF FAQ :flower3:.

I'm glad you are finding the information you need. I hope a GF trip works out for your trip next year :wizard:. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have, the posters on this thread are very friendly and always willing to help :goodvibes.

Good Evening :wave2:

Lot's of stuff going on, caught a nasty :sick: from a friends son I'm finally starting to feel better but not 100% yet....Then last week week had to make a hard decision regarding one of our :cat: :(:worried::sad::sad1:
So I was planning a faux trip but no matter the date or resort there was nothing available......Anyone know when the 2015 planning DVD's will be out?

Congrats to all the GF first timers and repeater that have booked trips recently...Safe travels to all that are traveling soon!

BlueSkies MickeyNut WishesQueen grannyminnie & Maxie
Hi

Hi right back to you ahcupcake!!.... :hug: So sorry about the kitty...I know that pets really become members of the family...Glad that you are feeling better tho...and continuing your virtual planning!! :goodvibes

Thank you for all of the information about the Grand Floridian. We may be staying here August of 2015. I found a lot of helpful information. Thanks again! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Welcome to the GF FAQ! :goodvibes Glad that have you found the info to be helpful...Lots of friendly and knowledgable posters around here! :thumbsup2

Hi!! Tom :wave2: Thanks for adding that room specific information..and TP link too...all very helpful for deciding which outer buidling to stay in! :thumbsup2

grannyminnie :woohoo: Almost time!!!!!

MickeyNut My persuasive Poly pal....lol....check out my siggie!!!! :dance3:

Hope that everyone is having a terrific Tuesday... :cutie: preppy GF gal whose MBs will be shipping very soon!!! :teleport:

Thanks everyone for your input on Garden view rooms at the GF! I don't think I care about location too much, since it doesn't sound like the resort is all that spread out. What does concern me is getting one of these rooms w/ a view of the back of the pool house! So, should I just request to NOT have one of those upon check-in? It is also my birthday. What are the chances they would upgrade me? I know it is based on availability, but just wondering if that has happened to anyone! Thanks so much!

If you are booking a garden view, which is what I always book, just don't request Big Pine Key or Boca Chica -- I did have one of the "bad" views in BPK -- it looked right at the back of the poolhouse building. However, when on the deck, if I looked between the buildings I could see the castle.

I would stick with the garden view and request Sago or Conch. Upgrades don't have a ryme nor a reason -- if you get one, you got some pixie dust, if you don't, you are still staying in the flagship resort of the happiest place on earth -- how can that not be wonderful?

Tom

Tom, thanks, great way to think about it! So would I request one of these buildings upon checkin?

You can request them in on-line checkin or wait until you get there. You might be in another building when you go to check in in person and you could ask to be put in either.

Tom

MickeyNut My persuasive Poly pal....lol....check out my siggie!!!! :dance3:

Love the ticker :thumbsup2. I'll get mine in my siggie soon :goodvibes.

Thanks everyone for your input on Garden view rooms at the GF! I don't think I care about location too much, since it doesn't sound like the resort is all that spread out. What does concern me is getting one of these rooms w/ a view of the back of the pool house! So, should I just request to NOT have one of those upon check-in? It is also my birthday. What are the chances they would upgrade me? I know it is based on availability, but just wondering if that has happened to anyone! Thanks so much!

You could always put a request of "any building other than Big Pine Key" on your reservation if you really don't want to be in that building but wouldn't mind any of the others. Or you can wait until you check in at the resort and see what building you are assigned and where your room is located and if you do have a view of the pool house, you can request a different room or a different building all together. It's not guaranteed that they can move you, but the CMs are usually very accommodating and will do everything they can to help :).

As far as upgrades, those happen more for maintenance issues, overbooking, etc. and don't happen as often as it might seem from posts on these boards, but that's not to say it won't happen ;).

so random question.....I just switched resorts from WL to GF!!!! pixiedust:

My DD has always wanted to stay there since she was 4 and saw the Full House episode where they stayed at the GF.....she's 26 now, so lifelong "dream" princess:

I want to surprise her and her not know until we roll up to the resort...question is what resorts share the same Magical Express bus, does WL and Contemporary use the same busses or lanes are GF? Since she thinks we are at WL - if they share the same "route" then I can hold off on the surpise until we roll up :)

Thanks in advance :flower3:

My DD has always wanted to stay there since she was 4 and saw the Full House episode where they stayed at the GF.....she's 26 now, so lifelong "dream" princess:

I want to surprise her and her not know until we roll up to the resort...question is what resorts share the same Magical Express bus, does WL and Contemporary use the same busses or lanes are GF? Since she thinks we are at WL - if they share the same "route" then I can hold off on the surpise until we roll up :)

In our past experience staying at the Poly (our first GF trip coming up in 11 days! :bitelip:), the Poly, GF and CR have usually shared buses.

so random question.....I just switched resorts from WL to GF!!!! pixiedust: My DD has always wanted to stay there since she was 4 and saw the Full House episode where they stayed at the GF.....she's 26 now, so lifelong "dream" princess: I want to surprise her and her not know until we roll up to the resort...question is what resorts share the same Magical Express bus, does WL and Contemporary use the same busses or lanes are GF? Since she thinks we are at WL - if they share the same "route" then I can hold off on the surpise until we roll up :) Thanks in advance :flower3:

We have taken magical express to the grand Floridian quite a few times. We have usually been with cr and poly or just poly

Thanks so much everyone!!!! I will just spring it in her as we approach the Magical Express lanes :)

My trip last February the first stop was WL, the next was CR, then GF, it was going on to Poly next. So, maybe??? We came in late at night -- 930pm so maybe that was why?

Tom

Thanks for answering all my questions so wonderfully. With 10 days left to go, I'm sure I'll stop worrying sometime... here's today's debate:

We have a outer building lagoon view room. I called at the 30 day mark and made my three requests: balcony, not the first floor, quiet building.

I realized this week that if I get a balcony there's no way I can be on the first floor, so I called last night to switch. The CM had no clue about requests. She put me on hold and seemed to figure it out. My three were: lots of sunlight, balcony, quiet building. She told me that 'all outer building rooms have a balcony' which sounds physically impossible and that the sunlight thing didn't make sense to her. I tried to explain that I want to relax and watch sunrises or sunsets from my balcony.

This morning I got the email with the hotel's direct line. Should I call there to confirm/remake my requests or assume that everything is in place?

All of a sudden I am having a moment of panic.. We just chose the GF over the Poly for our early March trip mainly b/c the Poly pool will still be closed. What are the chances they would close the GF pool in March for refurbs? I can't imagine they would have that pool AND the poly pool closed at the same time would they? Does anyone know when the GF pool was last updated? TIA!

All of a sudden I am having a moment of panic.. We just chose the GF over the Poly for our early March trip mainly b/c the Poly pool will still be closed. What are the chances they would close the GF pool in March for refurbs? I can't imagine they would have that pool AND the poly pool closed at the same time would they? Does anyone know when the GF pool was last updated? TIA!

I think you would know by now about the refurbs for March but unsure. I do know that the courtyard pool had major renovations about a year and a half ago. I also think with the newly opened villas within the last year they would not be closing the beach pool until the newness of the GF DVC wears off. Just a guess though! Hope this helps!

Regardless, it's quite a mess over at the Poly right now not just with the pool but the lobby and other stuff as well that I believe that the GF is a good choice on the whole!

Thanks, Asher! Think I just read somewhere too that the Beach pool was closed in May of last year for refurbs, so hoping that means I'm in the clear although with Disney you never know. Thanks for the tips!:thumbsup2

Thanks to everyone who asked about Mom, she is home and currently doing pretty good, considering.:grouphug: Sorry if I missed quoting anyone, I did a quick scroll.

Well, the new FAQ is finished, I'll probably continue to tweak it but wanted to get it going as soon as possible. I'm still looking for some outer bldg. deluxe room photos, I just know someone posted them but haven't found them yet. If anyone knows where they are, let me know the page number and I'll get them on the first page.

Here we go...everybody, please head over and start posting on the new thread: FALL 2014 FAQ Enjoy!

As I was scrolling through I noticed some very interesting discussion going on - didn't have time to read it, but I'm definitely going to as soon as I get a chance.:coffee:

Sorry to see this, I hope you didn't have a question that got lost - sometimes, it takes a re-post or bump for everyone to see it.:blush: If you do have a question, try again, I know someone will be happy to answer.

We really appreciate what you do here! Take your time, and take care of Mom.

Very sweet of you, thanks.:hug:

Hope your mom is doing better. I know how stressful that can be, take care of yourself too

:hug:

Good to "see" you back.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, I hope she's ok.

I agree with grannyminnie, take your time with the FAQ.

Thanks for the hugs.:hug: I did take my time, I should have been finished long ago.:laughing:

The Magic Kingdom hotels will be testing a new bus route from 10/12-10/25/14. The bus will run between the Contemporary Resort, Grand Floridian Resort, the Polynesian and Typhoon Lagoon. This will fix the problem of all Typhoon Lagoon guests having to transfer at Epcot after 2:00pm.
~DIS Updates

How is your mom doing now? I'm sorry she's been hospitalized

Your re-post comment reminded me that the BWI/BWV thread is getting close to re-post time:hourglass:badpc:. Looking forward to your new photos

BTW, the "test" ends 10/25 because TL will close 10/26 - 1/3/15 for it seasonal rehab.

Thanks for the info, I need to get that on the first page. And, thanks about mom.:hug:

BTW - I still plan to do a YC review. The FAQ stole all my extra time, but now that it's finished (are they ever, really?!) I should have more time.

Hello there my friend...:hug: Hope that your mom is getting better...so sorry to hear that she has been in and out of the hospital...

No worries on the new thread....we will be here waiting ..patiently...

Thank you.:hug: Good to see everyone, I've missed all of you.

I don't get to visit often, I am sorry to hear about your mom. Take good care of her!!

Very sweet of you, thanks.:hug:

k&a&c'smom, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom! i hope she is ok!

So good to hear from you! Thanks.:hug:

k&a&c's mom - sending hugs and prayers your way. Hope things getter better soon.

You are all so sweet.:hug: How's your boy doing in his first semester?

A very large hug to you, k&a&c'smom. I have a DM who has had a couple of serious health issues. I know a little of the impact it can have on your emotions and your time. I do hope your Mom is improving and feels much better very soon. I can't thank you enough for the work you do on this thread. But, Moms come first! So, please take your time on the next GF pages. We can wait. Really, we can!

Aww, thanks.:hug: Sorry to hear your DM has had health issues, too, it is hard, isn't it?

Packing is finally done and we leave tomorrow! If all goes well I hope to post some pictures on Wednesday. I will wait until k&a&c'smom has opened up the new FAQ though.

First stop after GF is BoG for cupcakes! YUM! Then DH wants to head back to GF to check out the tea offerings followed by a walk to Poly for a Dole Whip. What a way to spend check in day

Hope everyone has a Grand Week!

Liz

Oh, shoot! I missed your send off.:headache: Hope you had safe travels and are enjoying the Grand. Love your check in day plans, can't wait to see your photos - got the new one up just in time.;)

Good Evening

Lot's of stuff going on, caught a nasty from a friends son I'm finally starting to feel better but not 100% yet....Then last week week had to make a hard decision regarding one of our :cat: :(

k&a&c'smom Hope your DM is doing better now

Thanks about Mom.:hug: So sorry to hear about your illness, and the kitty. Hugs to you, must be very stressful.:rose:

k&a&c'smom I hope your mom is doing better. Take care of yourself and her!

:drive: I'll check back on Wednesday.

Liz

:wave: It's ready!!

Good Evening from a very rainy PA! :wave2:

I am so sorry about your kitty. :sad: Furry kids are such a big part of the family! I hope you feel better and your faux trip becomes real soon!

Liz
Thank You Liz. Yes they are, still have 3(2 Disney named dogs &1 cray cat)...I hope it becomes real soon too!

Hi, ahcupcake :wave2:......I was just thinking about you yesterday, wondering where you were! Hugs to you....keep planning that trip!

Hope everyone has a magical day! :wizard: Stormy day here, but we can use the rain, so no problems....that is, until I have to get out in it!
Thanks Granny! I see you have a trip coming up soon, so if I don't make it back before you leave Safe Travels!

Hi ahcupcake...good to "see" you back :flower3:.

I'm sorry about your kitty, it's so hard to lose a pet. I hope you're doing ok :hug:.

Good luck with your faux trip, I hope everything works out and you are able to book something and get back to the GF :wizard:.

I'm not sure when the next year's DVDs come out, but hopefully someone else will be able to help with that ;).
:wave2: Thanks MickeyNut....I'm hanging in there.....Oh me too! In the mean time I'll hang out here and beg friends that are going to text me some pics :-).....I'll just keep checking their website, even though it'll probably be the same as last years

Hi right back to you ahcupcake!!.... :hug: So sorry about the kitty...I know that pets really become members of the family...Glad that you are feeling better tho...and continuing your virtual planning!! :goodvibes
Thanks Blue. She was the sweet friendly kitty. I still have a little bit of the yuckiness left......LOL yep still "planning" a trip for the birthday none of us like.

YAY for your upcoming stay at the GF:cool1:.....We always use DME and all 4 MK resorts share the same bus( at least for every trip we have taken). This is the order we have seen WL Poly GF & CR BUT there was one trip that there was no one staying at WL so they went to the CR first then took the back way around the MK to get to the GF....Hope this helps

Thanks to everyone who asked about Mom, she is home and currently doing pretty good, considering.:grouphug: Sorry if I missed quoting anyone, I did a quick scroll.

Well, the new FAQ is finished, I'll probably continue to tweak it but wanted to get it going as soon as possible. I'm still looking for some outer bldg. deluxe room photos, I just know someone posted them but haven't found them yet. If anyone knows where they are, let me know the page number and I'll get them on the first page.

Here we go...everybody, please head over and start posting on the new thread: FALL 2014 FAQ Enjoy!

Thanks about Mom.:hug: So sorry to hear about your illness, and the kitty. Hugs to you, must be very stressful.:rose:

:wave: It's ready!!

So glad to hear your DM is doing better...........:cool1::cheer2::banana::woohoo::yay:YAY for the new GF FAQ.........Thank You! :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter