2014 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ: Vacationing in Grand Style!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, all my GF friends!!:grouphug: I have been remiss in my DIS posting lately, things have been very busy at our house; Mom has been in and out of the hospital and I've had a lot going on.

I've been working on the new FAQ, nearly finished but I have several new photos I want to add before we go live. We've got a few more pages left before we hit the 250 mark, so bear with me. I'll post the link to the new thread as soon as I get it polished.:)

Hope everyone has been enjoying their planning and/or trips to the Grand.pixiedust:

A very large hug to you, k&a&c'smom. :grouphug: I have a DM who has had a couple of serious health issues. I know a little of the impact it can have on your emotions and your time. I do hope your Mom is improving and feels much better very soon. I can't thank you enough for the work you do on this thread. But, Moms come first! So, please take your time on the next GF pages. We can wait. Really, we can! :)

Just wanted to pop in and say hi and that 60 days from now we will be checking into the beautiful Grand Floridian!!!!! Booked our FP+ last night and was able to score Anna & Elsa and 7DMT.

Sunday is our bonafide princess day with BBB, CRT, and our meet and greet with A&E.

Cannot wait to see the look on my daughter's face when we drive under the Walt Disney World sign and she realizes where we are. Looking forward to spending a week at the beautiful GF during the most wonderful time of the year. Fingers crossed we all stay healthy!:cool1::):yay:

You will be there before you know it :yay:.

Congrats on getting Anna & Elsa and 7DMT :thumbsup2.

14 days from now we will be on our way to the GF!! I'm so excited! We are (and will be until we leave) trying to upgrade to RPC (we stayed there last time - ooh la la). Has anyone had any luck doing that when checking in?

If not, we're hoping to be back in Boca Chica. Either way it's going to be incredibly fun! I'm just so excited and I knew you all would understand!

How exciting....14 days will go by fast :cool1:. I can't help with upgrading at check in, but good luck with getting RPC. I'd keep checking, though, every day until you do get there as you never know if/when it might become available before you arrive :wizard:.

If RPC doesn't become available, Boca Chica is a great choice for outer building :goodvibes.

MickeyNut Great chatting with you yesterday!! :hyper2: Lots of plans to make...and things to do.. princess: princess: princess:

I enjoyed chatting, too :goodvibes.

Yes, we have lots of plans to make. August is quite a ways away, but I know the time will go fast, especially once the holidays come and go ::yes::.

:) How long will GF hold my stroller without it being a problem? We are shipping my double stroller down UPS ground... and we don't want to get there before the stroller gets there. So, we were thinking of sending it soon- so it will be there by Halloween.pirate:
Any other info about shipping items to GF will be appreciated!
Thanks!
:cheer2: 19 days to go until our first time in Disney!!! I honestly think I am more excited than my kids...

Yay for just 19 more days.....it will be here before you know it :dance3:.

I can't help with the shipping as we've never shipped anything to a resort, but hopefully someone else will be able to give some information on that :flower3:.

:wave:
You guys are always so thoughtful:goodvibes

BTW, the "test" ends 10/25 because TL will close 10/26 - 1/3/15 for it seasonal rehab.

Thanks, KOOK, you are very thoughtful and helpful yourself :goodvibes.

Hi :wave2: to WishesQueen, bethclayton, MommyGina, followthatmouse, grannyminnie and anyone else I forgot.

Hope everyone is having a good morning :coffee:.

I scrolled through a few pages but can't scroll through hundreds--lol! We are staying here for the 1st time next spring. Booked an Outer Bldg--Garden View room. Are there certain building(s) I should or should not be requesting or are they all pretty much equal? TIA :)

I scrolled through a few pages but can't scroll through hundreds--lol! We are staying here for the 1st time next spring. Booked an Outer Bldg--Garden View room. Are there certain building(s) I should or should not be requesting or are they all pretty much equal? TIA :)

I've been Garden View in Conch and had a beautiful room looking onto the Marina. I've been Garden View in Big Pine Key and had a lovely view of the back of the pool house bar. It really could be almost anything for a garden view room.

Tom

It depends on what you want. If you want to be closest to the pools and the main building, then likely Big Pine Key will be your best bet. If you want to be closest to the buses or the convention center, then Sago Key would be a good choice.

Boca Chica has nice views on both sides, either the pool or the lagoon (but no Theme Park view). I just stayed there. It's close to the bigger pool, but more of a walk to go to the monorail or boats.

:wave:
You guys are always so thoughtful:goodvibes

BTW, the "test" ends 10/25 because TL will close 10/26 - 1/3/15 for it seasonal rehab.

Thanks KOOK..right back atcha! :thumbsup2

peaches I see that Alice and KKTom have both answered your question very thoroughly..and as I'm sure that you can see by their responses that each outer building has its pluses in the GV room category....:goodvibes The one thing that I wanted to add is there is a map right at the beginning of this thread..and it will give you a good idea of where each building is located and their proximity to each other on the property...::yes:: The resort is pretty compact and grounds are lovely... and I am sure that you will love your very first GF stay! :goodvibes

MickeyNuts More time to make more plans...:surfweb: lol...

Hey Wishes and MommyG...Good to "see" you both! :goodvibes

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans are having a :wizard: magical Monday... :earsgirl: preppy GF gal who finally got 7DMT FPP for the beginning of our trip!! :woohoo:

Thanks KOOK..right back atcha! :thumbsup2

peaches I see that Alice and KKTom have both answered your question very thoroughly..and as I'm sure that you can see by their responses that each outer building has its pluses in the GV room category....:goodvibes The one thing that I wanted to add is there is a map right at the beginning of this thread..and it will give you a good idea of where each building is located and their proximity to each other on the property...::yes:: The resort is pretty compact and grounds are lovely... and I am sure that you will love your very first GF stay! :goodvibes

MickeyNuts More time to make more plans...:surfweb: lol...

Hey Wishes and MommyG...Good to "see" you both! :goodvibes

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans are having a :wizard: magical Monday... :earsgirl: preppy GF gal who finally got 7DMT FPP for the beginning of our trip!! :woohoo:

Hi Blue: I would like to add that I once found, and can't find at the moment, a map that also listed room numbers for the GF -- I literaly asked for a specific room in Conch and they were able to put me in it -- it was a room that only "shared" the balcony on one side. If I can find it, I will post.

I found part of it!

Good (and Not-So-Good) Rooms at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort
The resort is spread over a peninsula jutting into Seven Seas Lagoon. In addition to the main building, there are five dispersed rectangular buildings. Most rooms have a balcony, and most balconies are enclosed by a rail that affords good visibility. Dormer rooms, just beneath the roof in each building, have smaller enclosed balconies that limit visibility when you’re seated. Most dormer rooms, however, have vaulted ceilings and a coziness that compensates for the less-desirable balconies.
If you want to be near the bus and monorail stations, most of the restaurants, and shopping, ask for a room in the main building (all concierge rooms). The best rooms are 4322–4329 and 4422–4429, which have full balconies and overlook the lagoon in the direction of the beach and the Polynesian Resort. Other excellent main-building rooms are 4401–4409, with full balconies overlooking the marina and an unobstructed view of Cinderella Castle across the lagoon.
Of the five lodges, three (Conch Key, Boca Chica, and Big Pine Key) have one long side facing the lagoon and the other facing inner courtyards and swimming pools. At Conch Key, full-balcony rooms 7228– 7231, 7328–7331, and 7425–7431 offer vistas across the lagoon to the Magic Kingdom and castle. Less-expensive rooms in the same building that offer good views are 7211, 7311, and 7411; 7413, 7415, 7417, 7419, and 7421; 7212, 7312, and 7412; and 7414. (Grand Floridian room numbers are coded. Take Room 7213: 7 is the building number, 2 is the floor, and 13 is the room number.) In Boca Chica and Big Pine Key, ask for a lagoon-view room on the first, second, or third floor. Many garden-view rooms in Big Pine Key, and a few in Boca Chica, have views obstructed by a poolside building. These are the worst views from any Grand Floridian room.
The two remaining buildings, Sugar Loaf Key (concierge only) and Sago Key, face each other across the marina. The opposite side of Sugar Loaf Key faces a courtyard, while the other side of Sago Key faces a finger of the lagoon and a forested area. These views are pleasant but not in the same league as those from the rooms listed previously. Exceptions are end rooms in Sago Key (Rooms 5139, 5144, 5145, 5242–5245, 5342–5345) that have a view of the lagoon and Cinderella Castle.

Tom

Packing is finally done and we leave tomorrow! If all goes well I hope to post some pictures on Wednesday. I will wait until k&a&c'smom has opened up the new FAQ though.

First stop after GF is BoG for cupcakes! YUM! Then DH wants to head back to GF to check out the tea offerings followed by a walk to Poly for a Dole Whip. What a way to spend check in day :banana::banana:

Hope everyone has a Grand Week!

Liz

Packing is finally done and we leave tomorrow! If all goes well I hope to post some pictures on Wednesday. I will wait until k&a&c'smom has opened up the new FAQ though.

First stop after GF is BoG for cupcakes! YUM! Then DH wants to head back to GF to check out the tea offerings followed by a walk to Poly for a Dole Whip. What a way to spend check in day :banana::banana:

Hope everyone has a Grand Week!

Liz

We walk over to the Poly for a Scorpion Bowl at the Tambu Lounge lol! Enjoy your trip -- it won't be long until we are at F&W! Can't wait. I love sampling all the foods!

Tom

Hi Blue: I would like to add that I once found, and can't find at the moment, a map that also listed room numbers for the GF -- I literaly asked for a specific room in Conch and they were able to put me in it -- it was a room that only "shared" the balcony on one side. If I can find it, I will post.

I found part of it!

Good (and Not-So-Good) Rooms at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort
The resort is spread over a peninsula jutting into Seven Seas Lagoon. In addition to the main building, there are five dispersed rectangular buildings. Most rooms have a balcony, and most balconies are enclosed by a rail that affords good visibility. Dormer rooms, just beneath the roof in each building, have smaller enclosed balconies that limit visibility when you’re seated. Most dormer rooms, however, have vaulted ceilings and a coziness that compensates for the less-desirable balconies.
If you want to be near the bus and monorail stations, most of the restaurants, and shopping, ask for a room in the main building (all concierge rooms). The best rooms are 4322–4329 and 4422–4429, which have full balconies and overlook the lagoon in the direction of the beach and the Polynesian Resort. Other excellent main-building rooms are 4401–4409, with full balconies overlooking the marina and an unobstructed view of Cinderella Castle across the lagoon.
Of the five lodges, three (Conch Key, Boca Chica, and Big Pine Key) have one long side facing the lagoon and the other facing inner courtyards and swimming pools. At Conch Key, full-balcony rooms 7228– 7231, 7328–7331, and 7425–7431 offer vistas across the lagoon to the Magic Kingdom and castle. Less-expensive rooms in the same building that offer good views are 7211, 7311, and 7411; 7413, 7415, 7417, 7419, and 7421; 7212, 7312, and 7412; and 7414. (Grand Floridian room numbers are coded. Take Room 7213: 7 is the building number, 2 is the floor, and 13 is the room number.) In Boca Chica and Big Pine Key, ask for a lagoon-view room on the first, second, or third floor. Many garden-view rooms in Big Pine Key, and a few in Boca Chica, have views obstructed by a poolside building. These are the worst views from any Grand Floridian room.
The two remaining buildings, Sugar Loaf Key (concierge only) and Sago Key, face each other across the marina. The opposite side of Sugar Loaf Key faces a courtyard, while the other side of Sago Key faces a finger of the lagoon and a forested area. These views are pleasant but not in the same league as those from the rooms listed previously. Exceptions are end rooms in Sago Key (Rooms 5139, 5144, 5145, 5242–5245, 5342–5345) that have a view of the lagoon and Cinderella Castle.

Tom

I remember reading this as well Tom! I think the room finder is from Touring Plans? It shows where each room number is located in the buildings by category. My mind is mush this afternoon so I could be completely mistaken so ignore me if I'm wrong!

Liz

We walk over to the Poly for a Scorpion Bowl at the Tambu Lounge lol! Enjoy your trip -- it won't be long until we are at F&W! Can't wait. I love sampling all the foods!

Tom

It's all about the food with us as well! Since the kids won't be in until early evening, we planned a late dinner at Artist Point. We may still have to do some sharing if we follow DH's plan ;)

Liz

It's all about the food with us as well! Since the kids won't be in until early evening, we planned a late dinner at Artist Point. We may still have to do some sharing if we follow DH's plan ;)

Liz

I thought that Artist Point had taken one of my favorites off the menu -- the Buffalo Strip Steak -- but it appears they have added it to a Surf And Turf! How can you go wrong with Cold Water Lobster? My next post is going to make your day!

Tom

Good Evening :wave2:

Sorry I've been MIA.......
Lot's of stuff going on, caught a nasty :sick: from a friends son I'm finally starting to feel better but not 100% yet....Then last week week had to make a hard decision regarding one of our :cat: :(:worried::sad::sad1:
So I was planning a faux trip but no matter the date or resort there was nothing available......Anyone know when the 2015 planning DVD's will be out?

k&a&c'smom :hug: Hope your DM is doing better now

Congrats to all the GF first timers and repeater that have booked trips recently...Safe travels to all that are traveling soon!

BlueSkies MickeyNut WishesQueen grannyminnie & Maxie
Hi

I thought that Artist Point had taken one of my favorites off the menu -- the Buffalo Strip Steak -- but it appears they have added it to a Surf And Turf! How can you go wrong with Cold Water Lobster? My next post is going to make your day!

Tom

It was indeed on the menu in July! DH ordered it and I only got a small taste! It isn't often he doesn't share but I had the Filet so I forgave him :goodvibes Sorry for the WL :offtopic:

Thanks to TinkerBelleLiz for reminding me where I had seen it -- attached is the link to the interactive room selector.

Find a building you like and you can click on it and get the exact room number!

Tom

http://touringplans.com/hotel_maps/...on_distance]=3&filters[ug]=&filters[view]=334

Whew! I am glad I wasn't mistaken. I lurked on Touring Plans for a couple of years before I discovered DIS this past summer!

Lot's of stuff going on, caught a nasty :sick: from a friends son I'm finally starting to feel better but not 100% yet....Then last week week had to make a hard decision regarding one of our :cat: :(:worried::sad::sad1:
So I was planning a faux trip but no matter the date or resort there was nothing available......Anyone know when the 2015 planning DVD's will be out?

I am so sorry about your kitty. :sad: Furry kids are such a big part of the family! I hope you feel better and your faux trip becomes real soon! pixiedust:

k&a&c'smom I hope your mom is doing better. Take care of yourself and her!

:drive: I'll check back on Wednesday. :wave2:

Liz

Congrats to all the GF first timers and repeater that have booked trips recently...Safe travels to all that are traveling soon!

BlueSkies MickeyNut WishesQueen grannyminnie & Maxie
Hi

Hi, ahcupcake :wave2:......I was just thinking about you yesterday, wondering where you were! Hugs to you....keep planning that trip! :flower3:

Liz, I imagine the suitcases are about packed! Happy travels! :goodvibes

Hope everyone has a magical day! :wizard: Stormy day here, but we can use the rain, so no problems....that is, until I have to get out in it!

Thank you for all of the information about the Grand Floridian. We may be staying here August of 2015. I found a lot of helpful information. Thanks again! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter