• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm back as well - I agree with GrannyMinnie MK was too :jumping1: it was elbow to elbow and 60 minutes plus everywhere. We stayed at YC as we were there for just a quick F&W flyby. That was good, but also very crowded.

We did swing through the lobby of the GF to listen to the band and then had drinks at Narcossees.

Back again in February. This time not cheat, staying GF and FW.

Tom

Hi, GF "buds"....I'm back, and had such a good time at the Grand! :goodvibes She continues to be the queen of them all, in my opinion. Relaxing, beautiful, quiet (even tho at full capacity, I was told) and easy to get around, what more could you want?? :thumbsup2 :lovestruc

We stayed a couple of nights at Downtown Disney before going on the property and were pleasantly surprised at how nice the new B Resort was. It used to be the Royal Plaza, for anyone familiar with the hotels over there. We use them "pre-Grand" almost every trip.

I thought MK was very :crowded: !! Thank goodness we had fastpasses for the mine train or we would never have ridden! At least a 75 min. wait every time we tried to do standby. :faint: Obviously the new has not worn off yet.

The GF orchestra sounded wonderful as usual. We consider an evening well spent if we are in the lobby enjoying them! :cloud9: Chris is back at the piano, but not as often as he has been in the past, and he does not look good at all, I'm sad to say. :worried:

We had a great corner room in Boca! I would ask for it in the future if we were not in club level. :thumbsup2

The weather was nice, by the way....cool evenings and mornings......:cloud9:.... with just one really warm afternoon.

Will add any tidbits later as I think of them....

Welcome back :goodvibes. I'm sorry the parks were crowded, but glad you had another great stay at the Grand. Sounds like the weather was perfect :).

I'm back as well - I agree with GrannyMinnie MK was too :jumping1: it was elbow to elbow and 60 minutes plus everywhere. We stayed at YC as we were there for just a quick F&W flyby. That was good, but also very crowded.

We did swing through the lobby of the GF to listen to the band and then had drinks at Narcossees.

Back again in February. This time not cheat, staying GF and FW.

Tom

Welcome back to you, too, Tom :). Glad you had a nice quick trip for F&W. It won't be long before you're back to the World :wizard:.

We returned from the Grand yesterday. First I’ll apologize for the lack of pictures. I spent yesterday morning before check out taking tons of pictures but neglected to put the memory card back into the camera!

The concierge staff in the main building is incredible. If you are park centric or change your plans frequently, the text service is mandatory. Simply text your request and within minutes (assuming it is in their operating hours of course) it magically appears! Definitely a plus for Club Level.

Our room was on the 2nd floor, a deluxe king. The view of the castle and fireworks each night from the balcony was breathtaking. I wish they would pipe the music to the Gaspy area as well as the docks. They did for one night for an event on the terrace so it CAN be done.

The main building Club Level is so different from Sugarloaf. It was always quiet and not crowded in the least when I was there. Breakfast exceeded my expectations for offerings. I loved making sandwiches from the salmon spread or ham. There was always a healthy choice available. I loved the scones at High Tea but the trifle was absent all days I visited except 1 which was disappointing. It was replaced with breads. I was told they serve seasonal offerings so the Chocolate Covered Strawberries would only be in the spring. I will go into more detail further down on the food offerings. Never once when we asked for something not out did we get any bad vibes!

DH and I both visited the spa for reflexology. I recommend this for sore feet! It was INCREDIBLE and actually saved the trip!

We visited every restaurant at the Grand. DH and I both felt Citricos was not AS good as it was last year. Sadly my favorite (the Filet) is no longer on the menu.

Victoria and Albert’s was so far beyond our expectations. I was concerned I would feel uncomfortable because it is so upscale, but the staff almost immediately made me feel at home. The Queen Victoria Room serves a 10 course meal not including 3 bread courses followed by coffee and chocolates. I managed to eat most everything except the bread courses (I tasted each but wanted to not “fill up” on the bread!) The way they make coffee is AMAZING. It was like an apothecary by our table and was delicious! The chocolates were beyond what I could eat and we brought them home with us.

Victoria and Albert coffee maker!

Excluding Victoria and Albert’s, Narcoosee was our 2nd favorite restaurant (Artist Point won the favorite for us.) We managed to eat here twice! The first night our party was 4 and of course nothing is sacred on our table. I sampled the salmon, halibut, shrimp fettuccine and seared tuna. Appetizers were cheese and calamari. There was simply no wrong choice, it was all incredible! On the second trip, we tried the Filet and again the halibut with PEI mussels and Chilled Shrimp as appetizers. The Filet was good but not as good as Artist Point so going forward we will stick to seafood here.

Breakfast at Grand Floridian Café is my favorite and of course the Tea Room is as good as always. The Café Vanilla French Toast was crowned our winner for all breakfast restaurants! Yesterday we had our last breakfast at 1900 Park Fare and I finally got the Strawberry Soup I seemed to always miss in the Lounge.

Now to the not so awesome stuff.

I was really disappointed in the Dessert Selection in the club lounge. It was EXACTLY the same all 11 nights. While I loved the Fruit Tart, the one I remember had a very light chocolate coating brushed inside the pastry shell then had custard and fruit added. That small detail made a big difference.
With the exception of Breakfast, the offerings were on small plates and were definitely not a meal replacement but a “starter” but some treated it as a meal. I saw several tables with multiple stacks of the small plates 8 to 10 high.

We were on the Clarendon Level and again the view was purely MAGICAL! However I would not book this category of room again. The access to these rooms is the opposite of magical! These rooms are a perfect example of you can’t get there from here. I use an activity tracker and even on our down days I far exceeded my goal of 7000 steps just walking back and forth to the lounge! The closest route to the bus stop was going behind Gaspys and between the GF and the convention center. The work vehicles don’t always stop for pedestrians! The trip to the monorail involved a walk down the hall, up in the elevator to 3rd or 4th floor, walk down another hallway either through concierge or club food level, down THAT elevator to the 2nd floor and out to the monorail. WHEW!

If I didn’t know these rooms were refurbished the end of July I would never have guessed it. Several of our electrical outlets were either cracked or broken off. The bathroom had some kind of access door under the sink that was hanging open. The bathroom with the tub didn’t seem to have been painted and the grout around the tub was only partially redone. It was smeared all over the wall in places. The whirlpool tub didn’t work. The bed was reasonably comfortable though. I do agree with everyone who has said the new common areas carpet was a very poor design choice for the GF.

The room and the Clarendon hallway were FREEZING. The vents in the hallway were always blowing VERY loudly. There was an odd (non Grand Floridian) smell in the hallway sometimes too. I think that is why there was also the overpowering Grand Floridian scent other times! Our first night there I ended up trying to take a bath at midnight to warm up and no whirlpool! Mousekeeping would turn the thermostat down to 68 each time they cleaned the room so it was always cold to me.

Mousekeeping was fine with the exception of taking the robe I used and not replacing it. I had to ask for robes 3 times during our stay. Our chocolate welcome gift was so disappointing to DH I ordered the box off the private dining menu.

Keep in mind that platter will hold a small turkey!

Lastly, Transportation….Of all the things Disney does well, transportation is not one. The monorail was working normal hours during our stay. That was a plus! I don’t want to even get into the strollers for 12 they seem to be making now that NEVER have children in them taking up entire cars on the monorail!

Disney has been doing MNSSHP for a few years now and you would think they would be prepared for the exodus OUT of the park at 7 pm party nights. We were at the October 16th MNSSHP when I broke a strap on my shoe at 8 pm. I figured I would pop over to GF, change shoes and be back in 45 minutes or so. BOY was I wrong. There were lines for both the boats and Monorail but I chose Monorail since it carries more. Again wrong decision! It too me an hour and a half to get to GF from Magic Kingdom. The car I boarded had issues with the doors not closing so we had to get off and wait for the next. THEN they decided to pull the broken one out of service which shut down the monorail completely for 30 minutes while they did this. Of course I’m halfway between Contemporary and TTC when they decide this and am stuck. I arrive at GF just as the fireworks start (9:30) and of course I have the hike to my room. By the time I had changed it was almost 10 pm and I decided to forgo going back. We did have another MNSSHP with the Villains Soiree later in the stay. It was one of those magical experiences for any that have one planned!

Long story longer! It shouldn’t be a surprise how many people leave the park on party nights. Nor should it be a surprise how many use the Extra Magic Hours! What is a surprise is why Disney isn’t more prepared for those rush times. Why would a bus that is completely full from Wilderness Lodge even stop at the Grand Floridian? Why do each of the Deluxe Resorts not have their own dedicated bus first thing in the morning to alleviate the sardine packed buses? Of the 4 cores of Disney I think Transportation fails on all 4: Safety, Courtesy, Show and Efficiency!

Even with the minor annoyances, it was still 12 days in Disney and 11 nights in the Grand Floridian. Pure Magic! The Grand was as cheerful and bright as I remember it. I can’t wait to start the planning process over again!
How can it not be with views like these!

Liz

Thanks for the great trip report, Liz. You hit two of my trifecta of favorite restaurants -- Artist Point and Narcoossees go head to head every trip with Shulas over at the Dolphin. Artist Point made my day by combining the Buffalo Strip with the Cold Water Lobster -- I had to struggle before with which to order!

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip (except for a few annoying hiccups). I agree with you on the exudus from MK on MNSSHP -- we were there during Hurricane Sandy 2 years ago and wanted to run back to the run to get into costume for the party -- I think our boat trip took 45 minutes and I wondered, is everyone from the GF at MK today?

Tom

Loved your TR, Liz, and those gorgeous pictures! Wish I could post pix but I will have to be content viewing those like yours! :goodvibes :thumbsup2

We had transportation issues even on our short trip. One night the monorail was down and there were not enough boats to get people back to the GF and Poly. :confused3 I was glad that we were not leaving MK at the very end of the night, when the entire park was emptying out! Disney needs to plan better for these situations, as you said.

I'm going to have to plan a V&A meal one of these days....your description of that coffee service alone has me intrigued! :lovestruc

Did they make a recommendation for 1900 PF ADR time? We have 6:40pm and want to make 9pm fireworks at MK.

They didn't, but if you can get earlier I would - that place was a mad house and I think your success at timely character meets is all luck of the draw and where you fall into the rotation.

So after our great stay at GF we decided to punt our Disneyland plans for spring and go back to GF in January and spring for club level given the AP discount came out cheaper than what we paid 2 weeks ago for garden view!

Just booked 1/28/15-2/4/15 Sugar Loaf Club level room. I have a feeling I would love Main Building's RPC better, but the upcharge from a GV to sugar loaf is only 80/nt which is beyond worth it as we spend more than that on food/drinks daily, but the upcharge to the main building was 230/nt which I couldn't justify in services. I also am not a huge fan of the bustle of the lobby. I MIGHT change the res for 3 nts in Main and 4 in SL but I'm not sure I want to move mid-trip.

Last time we did Club at AKL I didn't really use the IPO services. Can anyone tell me if they are able to make ADRs when something is all booked on the regular system? Otherwise I can just handle those myself. Also, what do they do with FP+? Do they make those as well? Or are they better suited to be used while at the resort for last minute changes rather than pre-planning....

Also, I see SL doesn't have a washer/dryer :confused3 where is the closest facility? This was one of my favorite features about Big Pine Key!

TIA!

DH and I stayed at The Grand for the first time October 15-17, before moving to the BWI. We were able to get a great room only discount so we stayed RPC. Absolutely the best stay we've ever had! For those two days we just enjoyed the resort and some down time before we hit the F&WF hard!
While we only rode the monorail during that timeframe to the surrounding resorts, and only took a bus to DTD, we had no transportation issues. And we're the couple that ALWAYS gets on a bus when the driver is changing over, or the monorail breaks down for 45 minutes with screaming kids everywhere. Maybe this was a sign of good transportation to come!
I thought the rooms were beautiful. We stayed on the 3rd floor, across from the concierge area in a King Bed room with views of the monorail and Alice Splash Pad. The bathroom area was a little snug with that hamper, but from what one of the CM's told me, our room was smaller than most because they messed up during the remodel!
As for food/snacks, I was a little disappointed. We only stayed CL once before at Beach Club, and really didn't take advantage of what they had to offer. So I made an effort to check it at RPC and really wasn't wowed. The staff was great, but I felt bad always having to ask for beers and water. There has to be a better system (and larger bottles of water!) Moving onto BWI CL after, I found walking up to grab a beer much easier and less judgmental. But they only give out big glass Evian bottles of water! I also felt the food selection at BWI to be much better - that coleslaw with mandarin oranges is to die for!
Back to GF - We loved the beauty, relaxation, and overall feel so much that we joined DVC, with our Home being VGF!
We probably won't be back until next fall, but that gives me plenty of time to plan. If anyone has advice for the villas, or the best rooms/areas to request, please let me know! We're leaning towards the first or second week of November 2015. How often does Disney offer specials on Annual Passes for DVC Members? In a perfect world we would want them right before our fall stay in '15 and book our fall '16 stay a little earlier to use them. And I'll probably head down for a weekend somewhere in between. I am so excited!!
Thanks for listening!! I have some beautiful pictures and will try to post them this week!

DisneyLover, congrats on your DVC purchase! :thumbsup2 I have no info on rooms at VGF but others will come along and give you hints. :)
How awesome to own a part of that beautiful resort! :love:

Smellyia, the nearest laundry facility to SL is Conch.

Great job on the new thread!

Hi everyone, just checking in as I've been away from the boards for a while. Perusing the disney site looking for a room for May 2015; my sister got a PIN...again! Wish I could go now!

:)

Hi everyone, just checking in as I've been away from the boards for a while. Perusing the disney site looking for a room for May 2015; my sister got a PIN...again! Wish I could go now!

Good luck to your sis booking a deal for a future trip! :thumbsup2 We just got back last week and I'm already looking for my next trip! No ticker yet, but I won't be able to live without one for too long! :rotfl2:

Hi, Trish....are you packing yet? Won't be long for you~:goodvibes

:wave2: Hi
Hi, Trish....are you packing yet? Won't be long for you~:goodvibes
I have the suitcase out. However with November weather (I go often) I won't know if I need shorts, capris or jeans until at least 10 days in advance.

Please shorts, please shorts, please shorts:yay:

And I get to meet BLUE :banana: (and dd and da)

I got my mom Splash, Thunder and SDMT in the dark one night , then the next day all 3 in the light of day. :cool1:

Just finishing up my plans. Only 3 days to pack in a lot without wearing her out. It's a very fine line________________:tiptoe:

Definitely making time to visit the Grand though:woohoo:

Hey Ladies and Gents of the ever so awesome GF thread, have you seen the thread on Bed Bugs? All this bed bugs talk has got me super paranoid! :crazy2: have you ever encountered any at the Grand? I'm staying in the main building in 22 days and that thread has got me worried so bad. Maybe I should stop reading it huh....lol..I think I'm driving myself nuts.

~~Gina

Hey Ladies and Gents of the ever so awesome GF thread, have you seen the thread on Bed Bugs? All this bed bugs talk has got me super paranoid! :crazy2: have you ever encountered any at the Grand? I'm staying in the main building in 22 days and that thread has got me worried so bad. Maybe I should stop reading it huh....lol..I think I'm driving myself nuts.

~~Gina

The grand just had a refurb this year so I would relax!

You are going to love RPC:goodvibes

We returned from the Grand yesterday.

The concierge staff in the main building is incredible.

Thanks for your review :). Glad you had a nice stay in RPC. I agree about the RPC staff, I found everyone to be very friendly and accommodating.

So after our great stay at GF we decided to punt our Disneyland plans for spring and go back to GF in January and spring for club level given the AP discount came out cheaper than what we paid 2 weeks ago for garden view!

Just booked 1/28/15-2/4/15 Sugar Loaf Club level room.

Last time we did Club at AKL I didn't really use the IPO services. Can anyone tell me if they are able to make ADRs when something is all booked on the regular system? Otherwise I can just handle those myself. Also, what do they do with FP+? Do they make those as well? Or are they better suited to be used while at the resort for last minute changes rather than pre-planning....

TIA!

Congrats on booking another GF stay :goodvibes.

Unfortunately, IPO doesn't have any pull when it comes to getting ADRs, so if something is booked, they have just as much chance of looking/finding availability as you do. With that said, you could always give them your choices and have them look along with you. If you happen to get a duplicate, you can cancel one. I don't know about FP+, but hopefully others will be able to answer :flower3:.

DH and I stayed at The Grand for the first time October 15-17, before moving to the BWI. We were able to get a great room only discount so we stayed RPC. Absolutely the best stay we've ever had! For those two days we just enjoyed the resort and some down time before we hit the F&WF hard!

Back to GF - We loved the beauty, relaxation, and overall feel so much that we joined DVC, with our Home being VGF! We probably won't be back until next fall, but that gives me plenty of time to plan. If anyone has advice for the villas, or the best rooms/areas to request, please let me know! We're leaning towards the first or second week of November 2015. How often does Disney offer specials on Annual Passes for DVC Members? In a perfect world we would want them right before our fall stay in '15 and book our fall '16 stay a little earlier to use them. And I'll probably head down for a weekend somewhere in between. I am so excited!!
Thanks for listening!! I have some beautiful pictures and will try to post them this week!

Glad you had a great time and enjoyed RPC, it really is amazing :wizard:.

Congrats on your DVC purchase :thumbsup2. I can't help with the villas, but I'm sure others will be along to give some input.

~~Gina

Have a great trip, RPC is amazing and I'm sure you're going to love it :wizard:.

:wave2: Hello fellow GF fans!

I know that its been a bit....but I was away for a few days...at the GF!!! :cheer2: It was pretty much a last minute trip...and I was surprising a dear friend...who occasionally reads these boards..so I could not share my excitement here ....:upsidedow

But...back to reality....:sad:... for a few more weeks...cause soon enough DD and I will be Poly princesses and we get to meet up with Trish and her mom...princess::cheer2: Cant wait!!!

Liz Didn't realize that you were still at the GF...bet we crossed paths in the lounge...I would have loved to have been able to say HI!!!

Raya Sorry that we did not cross paths...I was hoping that we would have....I was on the lookout :3dglasses...lol... Its really so nice to get to say to Dis friends in person...

~This was my first stay at the GF since the renovation...so I will share some observations.....the rooms really are very lovely :cloud9: ( yes k&a&c'smom I really did just say that...surprised myself at the observation..)..the colors are growing on me....not as victorian or Disney as I would have liked...and def prefer previous refurbs...but still very, very nice....:thumbsup2 The mickey heads on the shears..and on the back of the desk chair are both very nice touches... And the carpet in the rooms is a pretty blue and tan pattern...and... to me...the wall paper behind the headboards which is a deep tan..looks like a bunch of hidden Mickeys! :earsboy: ...

As for the lounge....:crazy2: ...not so much....the carpet is awful...and I am not a fan of the reduced seating in the tv area....or the colors that they chose to cover the furniture with.. as previously reported replaced the missing tables and chairs...so there is no longer a shortage at breakfast or really any time...if you would like to sit and have a bite.... And since its always about the food...this is important :thumbsup2..lol...... The wall paper is a soft grey with a while floral pattern on it...and very nice...too bad it does not match with the carpet...which is tan, blue, red and gold...:faint: ....

Regardless of the less than lovely carpet and just ok furnishings...there is still tons of amibiance in the lounge areas....the beautiful railing...the views out over the main lobby...the gorgeous mosaic ceiling decor...the music and the large widows that showcase the gorgeous GF grounds all do come together to make it so....:flower3:

It was a quick stay so I don't have much to say about the food offerings...lol...Did I just say that??? ;) At tea time they did put a wonderful fall touch on the trifle...pumpkin and poached apple....YUM!! is all that I have to say...some of the evening hot and cold appetizers... beef and spicy mustard on small toast triangles...tuna a la vera cruz (no idea what this is...lol...but it looked good)..buffalo chicken salad...spring rolls, pork bites, on another nite sushi, spanakopita, scallops wrapped in bacon, chipolte chicken salad,gazpacho ( in cute little bowls!)..some of the cheeses were brie, cheddar and swiss...everything is presented so beautifully too...lots of nice plates and garnishes... forget what was on the other nite that I was there...:upsidedow sometimes it is all about the parks....::yes:: lol....

On another note ( a musical one...;) ..lol..)..Christian is back..limited days and hours ..but still...I know that his many fans will be happy to hear that....:goodvibes I know that I am...

Well I just meant to share some thoughts...but this is turning into a mini review...lol...so I think that I need to stop now...

All in all...short and sweet stay as they say...

grannyminnie Welcome back...So happy that you had yet another grand stay!!! :goodvibes

MickeyNut I did some visitng over at your happy Poly place...lots going on...but certainly not looking as awful as I have heard..IMO......think that its going to look terrific when its all done...

Trisha Thank you so very much for the heads up about more FPP availability for the 7DMT :goodvibes....We were able to get the exact days and times that we wanted...and were not able to get at the 60 day mark!!! Thanks again..so thoughtful of you!!! :thumbsup2

Hope that you are all having a wonderful Wednesday.... princess: preppy GF gal who is so happy to have gotten a GF fix!!! :cloud9:

Blueskies: Don't you hate having to operate in stealth mode on here? I have family members who discovered the board and love to see where my ticker has me going, in hopes they are stowing away in the suitcase. And, as a matter of fact -- they are on the current tickers!:rotfl2:

Tom

~~Gina

:crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :faint: :faint: :faint:

Stop reading!!!! lol...Im itching just thinking about them...We never get settled in a hotel room anywhere with out doing a bed bug check....

I am sure that will have a GRAND vacation!!! :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter