2013, February 24 - Disney Dream

I hope to finish in under 3 hours and get back to the hotel by 10, then we have bkfst at 11. We are renting a car because the services I found were expensive. What service are you using?

We are staying in one of the AllStars, I forget which, but we are getting a regular magical express transfer! We let them know we were running in the Princess and they said they have a later pick up time for us! I'm not sure what hotel we may be picked up from, but that's the plan!

We are going back to Disney at Coronado after the cruise for a few days in the parks too!

I hope to finish in under 3 hours and get back to the hotel by 10, then we have bkfst at 11. We are renting a car because the services I found were expensive. What service are you using?

Tiffany Towncar. We've used them in the past and they have been great. DH doean't want to deal with driving, so I'm not really sure how the cost compares to renting a car. I know it is close in cost to using Disney Transfers, plus we get a store stop and don't show up at the exact same time as 50 other people.

I was a little worried that my girls would be the only "older" kids on the ship and felt mildly guilty for taking them out of school, so I'm glad to see there will be some others!
We decided today for our family to run the Family 5k on Saturday so I'm sure we will all be wearing our medals. I have seen both yes and no for the 5k on Castaway Cay...

I just booked the dream cruise onfeb24th am on the right right thread? Can't really figure out how to navigate this site? Interested undoing fe?s can u help.

I just booked the dream cruise onfeb24th am on the right right thread? Can't really figure out how to navigate this site? Interested undoing fe?s can u help.

Send me your info. We are cutting off the FE on 1/24. Welcome aboard!!

Just a reminder. We will be closing the FE on 1/24/13 so that everyone has enough time to buy/make their gifts.

Our cruise documents arrived today. :cheer2:

I know it's just luggage tags and a booklet with information I already know, but I'm still excited! :banana:

hi everyone...

just hung up the phone from finalizing our late booking on the Dream on 2/24 for 4 nights!

it'll be myself (ellen), hubby (jimmy) and our son, 12 yo (billy)...I dont know what the DH,DW,etc stands for ...sorry.

i am grateful I made it on before the 24th cutoff as we really would love to join the FE!

one question..the FE is left on our door and we put gifts in all the families different FE's..right? Not sure if we can join as we are in the concierge section and it claims you need a room key to enter the hallway???

we've never cruised before although have stayed at WDW numerous times. we'll be staying at Contemporary when we get back.

I will email my info in hopes that we can still be included!
thanks
ellen

counting the days.............yippee

hi everyone...

just hung up the phone from finalizing our late booking on the Dream on 2/24 for 4 nights!

it'll be myself (ellen), hubby (jimmy) and our son, 12 yo (billy)...I dont know what the DH,DW,etc stands for ...sorry.

i am grateful I made it on before the 24th cutoff as we really would love to join the FE!

one question..the FE is left on our door and we put gifts in all the families different FE's..right? Not sure if we can join as we are in the concierge section and it claims you need a room key to enter the hallway???

we've never cruised before although have stayed at WDW numerous times. we'll be staying at Contemporary when we get back.

I will email my info in hopes that we can still be included!
thanks
ellen

counting the days.............yippee

Welcome aboard!

DH - Dear Husband
DW - Dear Wife
DD - Dear Daughter
DS - Dear Son

Email me your info for the FE!!

I think we had a concierge level before as part of a previous FE and I know we managed to get them their gifts. I'll have to ask my hubby later.

How many are in the FEW now? Still trying to decide - we are traveling with another family who will not participate and I don't want their kids to feel left out. Thanks!

For FE, I have info from:

Sageeise (3 adults, 1 - DD (5))
Aimbo84 (3 adults)
reagansmom (3 adults, 1 - DD (6))
Prnces810 (4 adults, 1 - DD (6)) - Celebrating 6 year old's b-day!!
GirlieGirl (2 adults, DD (11), DD (9))
katpalen (1 adults, DS (7)) - Celebrating DS's 8th birthday!
FlotsamLovesJetsam (4 adults, DS (6), DD (3)) - First Disney Cruise!
cruisekris (2 adults, DD (6), DS (4)) - First Cruise!
ellensfamily (2 adults), DS (12))

I will send the participants a spreadsheet with more info.

Cut-off will be 1/24/13!!

Here is the info I have so far for the FE. If you are not on this list and want to be, please send me your info!

Just decided to book this cruise w/ DD24 :-). We will be at WDW for Princess race weekend (I am doing my 5th 5K race - :cheer2: that's far enough for me!) then will drive to the cruise port after Sunday brunch at Chef Mickey! Older DD doing the 1/2 but not free to cruise :-( with us this time. Maybe, since I will be in race mode, I will finally do the CC 5K (I said, "maybe")...:rotfl2:

DD24 is hoping that she gets to Castaway Cay as our first Disney Dream trip did not make it there due to high winds (same time of year so fingers crossed and sending pixiedust: to the captain)

I love/live to cruise and look forward to meeting many of you! I have been on all 4 Disney ships (favorite is the Disney Magic) and 4 days is far too short, but short is better than no cruise, right? :thumbsup2

Hey all...just booked this cruise yesterday on a VGT. Was on the fence for a few weeks and just decided to do it. I think the 10 degree days here in NY finally convinced me we had to get away this winter.

Just hubby and I this time. We usually cruise with tons of people but not this time. Kids (DD28, DS27 and DD24) all have job commitments and can't come (though they are jealous!)

Going to West Palm Beach first for a few days before and then head over to Port Canaveral for the cruise.

For those that have not been on the Dream yet...she (and the Fantasy) are just breathtakingly gorgeous. Can't wait to get on the Dream again. This will be cruise #29 on DCL so if anyone has any questions I can answer feel free to ask away. We were lucky enough to be on the MV of the Dream and this will be our 5th Dream cruise. Also cruised the Magic (MV) and Wonder several times.

One month from today and we will be sailing!!!

MJ

Hi welcome,

This is very 1st cruise ever! So excited...my main concern is seasickness..:(.

I figured it can't be bad cuz all these families wouldn't bring their little children on the boat if everyone was sick.

Others have told me you don't feel it , the motion that is..it's like a hotel...I'm soooo praying its true..but every once in awhile I hear a post abt missing a port due to high winds, etc...and I get terrified..

Please chime in anyone!

Thanks ellen

I get pretty sick on boats in general, but these cruise ships are just so big, you barely feel the movement! That being said, I still get a little bit of an "off" feeling. I used to take Dramamine, but it also makes me feel weird. I found those SeaBands things a couple years ago. Just wristbands that push on pressure points, and I swear they work. I'll be sporting my radical wristbands the entire cruise! I think it just completely depends on how sensitive you are to motion sickness. I happen to be very sensitive, but like I said, on cruises I just get a slight bad feeling. So, unless you're in my category and keep barf bags in the car, just in case, you'll probably be fine.

mmouse37 said:
Hey all...just booked this cruise yesterday on a VGT. Was on the fence for a few weeks and just decided to do it. I think the 10 degree days here in NY finally convinced me we had to get away this winter.

Just hubby and I this time. We usually cruise with tons of people but not this time. Kids (DD28, DS27 and DD24) all have job commitments and can't come (though they are jealous!)

Going to West Palm Beach first for a few days before and then head over to Port Canaveral for the cruise.

For those that have not been on the Dream yet...she (and the Fantasy) are just breathtakingly gorgeous. Can't wait to get on the Dream again. This will be cruise #29 on DCL so if anyone has any questions I can answer feel free to ask away. We were lucky enough to be on the MV of the Dream and this will be our 5th Dream cruise. Also cruised the Magic (MV) and Wonder several times.

One month from today and we will be sailing!!!

MJ

I just booked this cruise last week sort of spur of the moment- doing it with a girl friend and our two youngest children- 7 and 9. Leaving husband and two teenagers at home. Any and all helpful tips/suggestions greatly appreciated. Never cruised dcl or with children before????

I just booked this cruise last week sort of spur of the moment- doing it with a girl friend and our two youngest children- 7 and 9. Leaving husband and two teenagers at home. Any and all helpful tips/suggestions greatly appreciated. Never cruised dcl or with children before????

First of all don't let any of the dress code threads on the main board scare you. DCL is pretty laid back and you don't have to get all fancy if you don't want to. We are on a 4 night so there is a dress up optional night. You can go all out or just wear jeans and a nice top....or anything in between. As long as you don't look like you just rolled out of bed you should be fine. I am packing less this cruise. Capris/nice tops.

Encourage the kids to attend the clubs the first day/night...this is when most of the bonding takes place with other kids.

DCL allows you to bring your own alcohol onboard but it must be brought on in your carryons, not your checked luggage. You will be responsible for keeping your carryons with you until rooms are ready at about 1:30 or so. I always bring a rolling type of carryon to make it easier. I also keep with me my camera, cruise docs, medications...basically anything you can't do without until your luggage gets delivered (anytime up until 6:00 pm) but usually much earlier.

On the Dream, when you board, you will have the option of eating lunch at two places...Cabanas up on the pool deck (deck 11) or Enchanted Garden on Deck 2. Cabanas will have more variety. If you do opt to eat in EG know that while kid friendly foods like mac and cheese, hotdogs, etc. are not on the buffet for lunch you can ask your server for them and he/she will get them.

Have the kids do the Midship Dectective Agency scavenger hunt...it is a ton of fun.

If you want any pool time get there early in the mornings as mid-day (especially sea days) the pool area gets very crowded.

If you guys want to go on the Aquaduck you can bring your swimsuits in your carryons bag and change as soon as you board and have lunch or even wear your suits under your clothes. The AD is usually open as soon as you board and the lines are short then.

The cabins have real fridges (small but real) built into the desk so you can keep things cold if you bring anything onboard with you or want a yogurt from the buffet to keep in there for later.

The cabins also have a real full sized hair dryer so no need to pack one unless you are attached to your own. On the desk there is a special round outlet that fit the hairdryer. Do not plug anything else in there.

The ship is beautiful, the shows are wonderful..don't miss the Golden Mickeys..love that show!!!

There is complimentary 24 hour room service onboard so you want a bowl of soup or some cookies and milk at 2:00 am...no problem. Call RS and order. also, it is not on the RS menu but you can get Mickey Ice cream bars (like at WDW) free through room service. Just ask. Customary tip for CM delivering RS is $2 or so..more if you order a lot. I always bring singles with me for this purpose.

In the dining rooms you can order as much as you care to. Want two apps and 2 entrees and five desserts..no problem. You servers are there to please so ask them questions and they can recommend the best dish on the menus for that evening. The dining rooms are beautiful (my fav is Royal Court).

Explore the ship...get to know where things are. The adult lounges are very nice...there is one on the very top of the ship with fantastic views.

Walk all the way forward to the bow of the ship on Deck 13 and feel the wind in your hair. Deck 4 is a great place to relax away from the crowds. They have the old fashioned teak deck chairs (put out after the safety drill) and sitting there feeling the ocean breeze is wonderful. Deck 4 is also the running/walking deck.

The snacks in the Cove Cafe (deck 11) and Vista Cafe (deck 4) (coffee bars) in the glass cases are complimentary. Just ask the CM and they will get you what you want. They have different things at different times of the day. pastries, desserts, etc. They also have great specialty coffees (for a fee). If you like a Starbucks type coffee drink this is the place to get it. Ask for the punch card. buy 5 drinks and the next one is complimentary. they will punch the card each time you buy a drink there.

Get in line for character meets early. You can find out in the daily Navigator (ship newsletter) when/what characters will be out...also carry it around with you during the day so you know what is going on around the ship...very helpful.

One of my fav things to do while onboard is go see a movie!! The movie theatres is beautiful and we tend to go late at night. I like to bring chicken fingers and a soda with me. I also bring a few boxes of movie theatre sized candy with me onboard to bring to the show or movie (they do sell movie snacks but they are costly). Our grocery store usually has 10 boxes for $10. Love my Milk Duds or Junior mints!!! LOL!!

So much to do!!! Feel free to ask any specific questions if you have them. Just have fun and don't expect to be able to do everything in one cruise.

MJ

Hi welcome,

This is very 1st cruise ever! So excited...my main concern is seasickness..:(.

I figured it can't be bad cuz all these families wouldn't bring their little children on the boat if everyone was sick.

Others have told me you don't feel it , the motion that is..it's like a hotel...I'm soooo praying its true..but every once in awhile I hear a post abt missing a port due to high winds, etc...and I get terrified..

Please chime in anyone!

Thanks ellen

This is the reason we've never been on a cruise. We're going to take the plunge on Feb 5th. I'm getting patches that you wear behind your ear. I used them and rode in the back of a safari vehicle for two weeks and was not bothered at all. Usually, I get sick just riding a few miles in the backseat of a car. They are so worth a trip to the doctor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!