2013 Beach and Yacht FAQ, Fun & Friends: Don't Post Here- New Thread Started

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add me to the Be Our Guest list again please! :) We will be there January 9, 2014 for 4 nights in a one-bedroom villa at BCV! :cloud9: We might come down before the Marathon and add a few days at the YC too. :)

The Magic Bands are still in the development and testing process. It is all speculation now because Disney hasn't made any definitive announcements yet. Potentially, everyone who checks into a WDW resort will be issued a Magic Band. It will contain an RFID chip which will have your room key and park tickets programmed to it. You would just tap your band to the RFID device instead of using the current KTTW card. I believe there still might be an option to have a card instead of a band, but I'm not sure on that.

In addition to the Magic Band, they also want to roll out a reservation system, called Fast Pass +, which will enable you make reservations for rides and events, like preferred viewing for parades, in advice. The rumor is that you would be able to make a limited number of fast pass + reservations, replacing the current fast pass system. The advantage would be that you could reserve a day and time for Test Test or TSMM, for example, ahead of time, and you wouldn't have to race to the ride the minute the park opens.

The Disney developers are having a hard time getting this new system to work. Until people are able to make normal dinner reservations online without problems, I don't see how they can begin their fancy Magic Band system. I am hoping they are out for our December trip, but I wouldn't be surprised if they still weren't ready yet.

I think the issue I'm having with the bands is I don't believe it will do anything I heard them say they can do. "My experience" has been great in theory, hasn't worked correctly at all.

I would love the whole FP idea, we are traveling the end of August. Only time will tell. Not sure how I would like to wear a bracelet in the heat though

I think the issue I'm having with the bands is I don't believe it will do anything I heard them say they can do. "My experience" has been great in theory, hasn't worked correctly at all.

I would love the whole FP idea, we are traveling the end of August. Only time will tell. Not sure how I would like to wear a bracelet in the heat though

I'm hooking mine to my belt loop or on my purse - too hot for the summer. From what I've been told, you can make three FP reservations per day.

We are doing the Wishes dessert party on 8/27. Anyone else going to be there with us? I've never been, so I'm pretty excited about it.

Hunclemarco has a thread on the Dining Boards where he lists guests who have notified him that they have Dessert Party reservations, so you can see some of the other DISers who might be there at the same time.

:thumbsup2

Here is the site Dee is talking about.... if you click here
At the moment there are 4 other DIS families that notified me that they will be there when you are.
I've added your name... if you wish, let me know the number in your party :thumbsup2

Hello! Welcome to the BC! The BC is my favorite place in all of WDW! Garden view rooms aren't necessarily far away from everything. There's a link on page 1 that has an older resort map that shows the categories for the rooms. It's not exact since the resort changed room categories after this map was made, but it will give you a general idea of where the different view rooms are located.

If a full balcony is the most important request, then the YC might be a better resort choice for you. Most (if not all) of the rooms at YC have full balconies.

There are many QS food choices at BC. The Marketplace has several food options as does Hurricane Hanna's located at SAB. We've enjoyed several meals from both restaurants.

The bus to and from the MK is a non-issue in my opinion. We never had a long wait for a bus either departing or heading to BC. MK is about a 10 minute ride.

For your room request, you need to decide which request is most important to you. If having a daybed is the most important to you (which it is to us), then list that first on your request. List your requests in descending order of importance. If close to the lobby is most important (since the Marketplace and buses are in that general area), then that should be listed first. Same goes for a full balcony.

I hope these suggestions are helpful.....

Hello BC/YC friends! :wave2:

Welcome back, Mickey T!

Thanks for sharing the mini meet photo, Dee! (Although I'm going to be pouting most of July, missing not one but TWO BC/YC meets.) :sad2:

Welcome, Wendy!!! We've stayed at BC many times over 20+ years and I'm happy to address some of your questions. Our favorite garden view room was on the second floor and VERY close to the lobby. We had a full balcony in that particular room and it overlooked the courtyard with a little slice of the lake and SAB beyond. Our request from now on (when staying garden view) will be "full balcony, close to lobby, please." Our boys (ages 13, 12 and 6) easily ranked that room their favorite non-CL room at BC. It was literally just a walk around the corner and down the stairs to BC Marketplace and the lobby - super easy for refill mugs!

So, to answer #1, garden view definitely does not mean you'll be far away from everything!

Regarding #2, it's true a full balcony is not guaranteed, but in all of our BC stays over many years, we've always had a full balcony whether we requested one or not. When you check in, ask if you have a full balcony. If not, talk to the CM about your willingness to wait for a room with a full balcony to be ready later in the day.

Regarding #3, we don't use quick service a ton because we prefer TS. But when we do use quick service, BC Marketplace is now our favorite in all of WDW. BC Marketplace has all the basics, it's close and in the same building, and it's about as non-chaotic as a quick service location can possibly be. As for other options, there are so many quick service locations in the Epcot resort area - Picabu (extensive menu - open 24 hours), Hurricane Hanna's, BC Marketplace, the brand new Boardwalk Bakery. And if you have park hoppers, you won't get a better food court than World Showcase! The new bakery in France - Les Halles - is outstanding, and just through the International Gateway and to the left. We did a take-out lunch from Les Halles on our departure day this year and LOVED it.

As for #4, I've timed the bus to MK from BC. It's approximately 15 minutes before rope drop without the BWI stop. And if you hop on the bus to MK during less busy times (midday, for example) and it stops at BWI, that's about 18 minutes. On the way home, the bus does stop at S/D and YC, but that doesn't bother us a bit. Funny thing is that the last time we stayed at Poly (which we also love) and headed "home" after Wishes, the monorail was mobbed, the boat dock was mobbed, and it took us 1.5 HOURS to get from MK to our room at Poly. That was during value season. Now, that's certainly not the norm, but we were looking over at those buses to BC and BWI thinking it would have been nice to hop on a bus!

The Cape May breakfast is fun. My girls enjoyed it.

We took an early bus to MK yesterday for our breakfast reservation at the Crystal Palace. Start to finish, I think it took about half an hour, maybe 25 minutes.

Thanks, everyone!!

DH & I have gone back & forth & back & forth.

DH has been leaning toward FW for 2 reasons: 1) The boat to MK as opposed to the bus at the Beach Club & 2) If we stay at FW, we'll probably try Hoop Dee Doo, which has been on our Disney "to do" list for several years now.

And I've been leaning toward the Beach Club for 3 reasons: 1) No internal buses like at FW & 2) the theme-ing & 3) walk to EPCOT.

I told him what y'all said about the busses - how they're really not bad. I also reminded DH that we've always wanted to try an EPCOT resort since, previously, we've always stayed around the MK.

And, since we're stopping at the beach now before we get to WDW, the Beach Club kinda goes w/ our theme - this is a beach trip! LOL!

So, I think I convinced him, & I've emailed our AAA agent to book Beach Club for us. I requested a room close to the lobby & w/ a full balcony.

I hope we like it, & I hope the busses are okay - or DH isn't going to like it very much.

Our last 2 trips were very much alike - we tend to eat the same places, so I'm thinking I really do want to try Cape May instead of Chef Mickey's for breakfast. It'll be hard not going to Chef Mickey's though... it's one of our "must do" meals.

And, when I look at our current plans, I'm not sure when we'll have an opportunity to ride the monorail, so we'll miss that too. If we kept Chef Mickey's, we could ride the monorail back to EPCOT.

Okay, I don't look for a few days and I have like 25 pages of catching up to do?!

I've been researching special order celebration cakes on the official cake thread. Any BC/YC experts have any advice about ordering from the resort bakery?

We are celebrating son's birthday, wedding anniversary, and daughter's birthday so I thought ordering a neat cake from the resort and having it delivered to our room one night might be kind of fun?

We also have dinner at Narcoossee's one night, so that's another cake option (though from a different bakery).

Help!!! Too many choices!

What fun! Chip and Dale are so much fun here! The last time we went, Chip saw that Donald Duck wrote #1 in our DD's autograph book, so he turned the page and wrote Chip #1. When Dale saw that, he crossed it out and wrote Dale #1. The two went back and forth quite a bit in the autograph book. It was quite funny and our DDs ate it up!

By the way, the salad is awesome too! We try to eat here every time at Disney World as it's the most relaxed character meal. Hope you have a great time!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Awesome! I can't wait to try it out now!

~N

Solo trip ? I may be there during those dates as well . Don't think that DH will make it. I have done solo before and WDW is awesome to solo travelers

YES a solo trip!! I've done a few of them now and like them a lot!! Let me know if you end up being there at the same time... would love a mini dis meet!!

~N
We are thinking of Garden Grille for next January trip, never eaten there yet either.

I'll let you know how it is, but from what we've read it looks to be really fun and good!!

~N

Hi Gang,

Just an FYI: My new hours (10 hour days) start this Sunday: 8:00 AM to 6:30 PM. That means I will probably take a 15 minute break around 10:30, then take my 45 minute lunch at 12:45, then a 10 minute break at 4:00 PM. I'll leave the lobby around 6:20 PM.

Wow those are some long hours!!! Hope your feet don't have a lot of issues.... tylenol!!!

~N

Here is the site Dee is talking about.... if you click here
At the moment there are 4 other DIS families that notified me that they will be there when you are.
I've added your name... if you wish, let me know the number in your party :thumbsup2

Thank you! We are a party of 4.

Okay, I don't look for a few days and I have like 25 pages of catching up to do?!

I've been researching special order celebration cakes on the official cake thread. Any BC/YC experts have any advice about ordering from the resort bakery?

We are celebrating son's birthday, wedding anniversary, and daughter's birthday so I thought ordering a neat cake from the resort and having it delivered to our room one night might be kind of fun?

We also have dinner at Narcoossee's one night, so that's another cake option (though from a different bakery).

Help!!! Too many choices!

How does one go about ordering a cake from the resort, is there I formation on the boards? My sister will be celebrating her birthday and I want to do something nice for her as it will also be her first time at Disney EVER!!

I'm hooking mine to my belt loop or on my purse - too hot for the summer. From what I've been told, you can make three FP reservations per day.

Totally agree about this...not only that, what kind of plastic/rubber are they made out of.

Simba's Girl said:
Totally agree about this...not only that, what kind of plastic/rubber are they made out of.

It's a soft spongy material. I don't think you have to use the magic bands. When we were switching our paper APs to the card, I chatted with a family who has an autistic son with sensory issues.

Lots of things going on. Tomorrow we hit double digits!!! 99 days we can't wait. The movers are coming tomorrow. Starting us off on the next journey. We got word yesterday that one of our dearest friends was killed in Afghanistan. We could use some Beach Club and Disney. We will be doing our double digit dance in the morning!!!

So sorry for your loss.

One more night sleep (if you can call it that)!

All packed, one more REALLY long day at work, a few trip preps and then a glass of wine or two before I try to sleep! I want to thank everyone for all of there help on our adventure with a new resort!

I am looking forward to (and in no particular order):
1. A nap on the beach
2. A Sunken Treasure induced nap on the beach
3. Meeting Teena
4. Walking to EP and maybe DHS
5. Watching my kids excitement for SAB
6. Yachtsman Steakhouse
7. Beaches & Cream
8. Hopefully a beautiful view

It's been a rough year and we really need this! Plus celebrating DS13s graduation last night. I promise to try to post daily from our 10 days at BC. Let me know if anyone has any requests I'm an early riser with insomnia!!!!

Have a great trip!!!

The Magic Bands are still in the development and testing process. It is all speculation now because Disney hasn't made any definitive announcements yet. Potentially, everyone who checks into a WDW resort will be issued a Magic Band. It will contain an RFID chip which will have your room key and park tickets programmed to it. You would just tap your band to the RFID device instead of using the current KTTW card. I believe there still might be an option to have a card instead of a band, but I'm not sure on that.

In addition to the Magic Band, they also want to roll out a reservation system, called Fast Pass +, which will enable you make reservations for rides and events, like preferred viewing for parades, in advice. The rumor is that you would be able to make a limited number of fast pass + reservations, replacing the current fast pass system. The advantage would be that you could reserve a day and time for Test Test or TSMM, for example, ahead of time, and you wouldn't have to race to the ride the minute the park opens.

The Disney developers are having a hard time getting this new system to work. Until people are able to make normal dinner reservations online without problems, I don't see how they can begin their fancy Magic Band system. I am hoping they are out for our December trip, but I wouldn't be surprised if they still weren't ready yet.

Thanks for info. I was wondering how the magic band worked as well. Are they removeable? Or are they on the while trip?

Hi Gang,

Just an FYI: My new hours (10 hour days) start this Sunday: 8:00 AM to 6:30 PM. That means I will probably take a 15 minute break around 10:30, then take my 45 minute lunch at 12:45, then a 10 minute break at 4:00 PM. I'll leave the lobby around 6:20 PM.

Can't wait to meet you in October!

Hi Gang,

Can't wait to meet you!! Still 1 year away....

Thanks, everyone!!

DH & I have gone back & forth & back & forth.

DH has been leaning toward FW for 2 reasons: 1) The boat to MK as opposed to the bus at the Beach Club & 2) If we stay at FW, we'll probably try Hoop Dee Doo, which has been on our Disney "to do" list for several years now.

And I've been leaning toward the Beach Club for 3 reasons: 1) No internal buses like at FW & 2) the theme-ing & 3) walk to EPCOT.

I told him what y'all said about the busses - how they're really not bad. I also reminded DH that we've always wanted to try an EPCOT resort since, previously, we've always stayed around the MK.

And, since we're stopping at the beach now before we get to WDW, the Beach Club kinda goes w/ our theme - this is a beach trip! LOL!

So, I think I convinced him, & I've emailed our AAA agent to book Beach Club for us. I requested a room close to the lobby & w/ a full balcony.

I hope we like it, & I hope the busses are okay - or DH isn't going to like it very much.

Our last 2 trips were very much alike - we tend to eat the same places, so I'm thinking I really do want to try Cape May instead of Chef Mickey's for breakfast. It'll be hard not going to Chef Mickey's though... it's one of our "must do" meals.

And, when I look at our current plans, I'm not sure when we'll have an opportunity to ride the monorail, so we'll miss that too. If we kept Chef Mickey's, we could ride the monorail back to EPCOT.

We stayed at the WL for the first time after many, many stays at the BC. We loved the boat the MK, but really missed the convenience of being able to walk into Epcot and HS. And we never really missed the monorail, since we would frequently ride it back from MK to stroll through Epcot on our way back to the resort. The BC buses are nothing compared to the buses that you would have to take from FW. Besides the internal bus, the FW park bus has to share with WL. We never really appreciated how nice the bus system for BC was until we stayed at WL and had to take buses to three parks, instead of the two we had when staying at the BC. We are going back to WL for Christmas, but then returning to BC once again for spring. :)

Your DH should like the Epcot resort area, especially since there are so many things to do within walking distance.

ETA:

Thanks for info. I was wondering how the magic band worked as well. Are they removeable? Or are they on the while trip?

They are adjustable and removable. There is more information and pictures of the band in this thread:

http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/05/17/first-look-disneys-mymagic-magicband/

They aren't very attractive. :(

We have our trip for August all set. We have stayed at the BW and BC in the past. We really like the location of everything, so we decided on YC this time in a garden view room. Are there any pros/cons to requesting a room close to the hotel lobby? TIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!