2013/2014 Beach and Yacht FAQ, Fun & Friends ~ Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec & Jan ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning! Does anyone know if the Crew Cup lounge is currently serving dinner (sandwiches, snacks, etc.)? All Ears said it is seasonal. We are looking for a light bite Sunday night (arrival day!) and always enjoy relaxing there! Thanks!

What am I going to do!!!! I feel "that" itch again. You know the "oh my god, I have to plan a vacation" itch! We are in the stages of buying a house. We are unsure what our finances will be next year so we are probably not going again until 2015. But I can't take it every picture posted on FB or Instagram of Disney is pure torture! Even my sister said the same thing this morning our vacation this August was the best vacation we had. Even compared to growing up as kids, this trip to the YC blew them away.

So here is my dilemma..... Try & sneak one in maybe next summer, go cheaper and stay value. Or wait until 2015 and do it right and stay @YC again. The area can not be beat! Loved being so close to Epcot. Ugh! What to do what to do!

Good morning! Does anyone know if the Crew Cup lounge is currently serving dinner (sandwiches, snacks, etc.)? All Ears said it is seasonal. We are looking for a light bite Sunday night (arrival day!) and always enjoy relaxing there! Thanks!

Yes they are.

Woohoo! Just found out I'll be at the YC for Marathon weekend! A mommy/DD only trip.

Arriving Wed 1/8, departing Sunday, 1/12.

So excited!!!:goodvibes

They were open when I went by earlier this month.

HBGdancermom, per your request this is your notification that I have started my trip report. I will be updating as often as I can and should have it done before you leave for your trip on the 20th. Also for anyone else who may be interested.

It is called Our Best Disney Vacation Yet, featuring BCV and BC CL.

I'm glad you enjoyed my dining report. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Good Morning!

Saturday 9/21 was our 4th day at BCV's! This was our AK day... the day started at rope drop and took us directly to Everest!! DH convinced me that he would be fine on this ride even though all the other coasters he had been on caused his heart rate to go up, make him turn lovely shades of color, sweat and just be uncomfortable!! I said ok... fine... and off we go!! We walked right on and when it was over he was a lovely shade of green and very sweaty :crazy2: after sitting to calm down and gather ourselves we headed to dinoland and rode Dinosaur (which he was fine on)! Then it was off to a Bugs Life... another one of those rides that you just have to do! I wanted him to ride the Safari Ride the regular way so he could compare what he was going to see later!!! This was probably the best Safari Ride ever!! We got to see all three lions on the rock they were playing and very active!! It was awesome!!!

I had us booked for 11:45 the Wild Africa Safari Trek (which is why I wanted DH to go on the Safari Ride first)! I had done this tour in November 2011 and loved it! They give you lunch halfway through the tour, but we were a little hungry so we stopped at a quick service and had a breakfast sandwich before heading over to the meeting location for the Trek. The trek has changed a bit since I took it, which is why I love to take the tours over and over because each one is different each time! We checked in and were weighed and then harnessed and buckled in, given a water bottle to fill and a sunglass strap for our sunglasses and then given a locker to place everything else in while we were off on the tour. The tour starts off on stage and then moves backstage. There is a photographer with the group who takes photos of all the animals and your party which is really nice! You get to see a lot and do a lot on this tour including getting up close and personal with the hippos and the crocs and even cross over the crocs on the rope bridges... SO MUCH FUN!! Once the backstage portion of the tour is completed you load into a private safari truck for a more in depth look at the animals. We did not get to see the lions because they were hiding, which is why I wanted DH to go on the Safari Ride first!! Good idea on my part!! Just before the elephants the truck goes up a hill to an outdoor patio area on the Savannah where you are served lunch. The lunch is prepared special for this safari and consists of a mess kit filled with African delights!! Very yummy indeed! Once lunch is finished they take a few more pictures of your party and then head back out onto the Savannah to complete the safari. My DH really loved this tour and got a lot of information out of it!!

Having really seen a lot of the AK it was time for DH afternoon nap!! He napped in the room and I napped at the pool :beach:

For dinner I had a reservation for House of Blues which DH decided he did not want to eat at, so we decided to have a drink at Paradisio 37... I've had dinner there once and had a horrible experience, but DH really liked the menu... I tried to convince him that this was not going to be good and we should go look at House of Blues menu :thumbsup2 After walking over and looking he was HELL BENT on Paradisio 37:confused3 We were seated outside right in front of the really bad band that was playing... we could not hear anything but the band, so he asked that we be moved, which we were... down to the bottom (not looking good right???). So we sat there for what seemed like forever before someone came and took our drink order and food order. FINALLY the food came... no drinks... no utensils... no napkins... just us looking like well ok now!! We asked the person who brought us our food for things to use to eat it and what about those DRINKS (they were really good)!! FINALLY our waiter came and we said... DRINKS and things to use to eat this would be great! BAD BAD BAD!!!! They don't get a third chance with me!!! Anyway DH made up for this BAD experience by suggesting we have ice cream from Ghirardelli!! I am all about a chocolate sundae!!!

I decided that I should return the rental car that night so we could sleep in on Sunday... LAST DAY!! So we did that and then had a nice walk back to BCV's.

Tomorrow will bring us to our last day at Disney always a sad sad day for me!

~N

I had us booked for 11:45 the Wild Africa Safari Trek (which is why I wanted DH to go on the Safari Ride first)! I had done this tour in November 2011 and loved it! They give you lunch halfway through the tour, but we were a little hungry so we stopped at a quick service and had a breakfast sandwich before heading over to the meeting location for the Trek. The trek has changed a bit since I took it, which is why I love to take the tours over and over because each one is different each time! We checked in and were weighed and then harnessed and buckled in, given a water bottle to fill and a sunglass strap for our sunglasses and then given a locker to place everything else in while we were off on the tour. The tour starts off on stage and then moves backstage. There is a photographer with the group who takes photos of all the animals and your party which is really nice! You get to see a lot and do a lot on this tour including getting up close and personal with the hippos and the crocs and even cross over the crocs on the rope bridges... SO MUCH FUN!! Once the backstage portion of the tour is completed you load into a private safari truck for a more in depth look at the animals. We did not get to see the lions because they were hiding, which is why I wanted DH to go on the Safari Ride first!! Good idea on my part!! Just before the elephants the truck goes up a hill to an outdoor patio area on the Savannah where you are served lunch. The lunch is prepared special for this safari and consists of a mess kit filled with African delights!! Very yummy indeed! Once lunch is finished they take a few more pictures of your party and then head back out onto the Savannah to complete the safari. My DH really loved this tour and got a lot of information out of it!!

Thanks for the report for this! It looks really amazing. Was the rope bridge scary? I saw folks on the harnesses for that. So cool!

Thanks for the report for this! It looks really amazing. Was the rope bridge scary? I saw folks on the harnesses for that. So cool!

Hmmm... Not that it's scary, but if you have short legs like me you have to take long steps because they make it like it's an old bridge that has gaps in it. You are harnessed and there is a net under you, so there is no way you are falling into anything, but you could fall I guess, but maybe not because of the wire that is attached to your harness and the wire above you.. if that makes sense! I never worry about these things because well it is Disney after all!! It's a lot of fun like all the tours are! I love them!!

~N

We usually have a meal at CC. It is pretty good

Good Morning!

Saturday 9/21 was our 4th day at BCV's! This was our AK day... the day started at rope drop and took us directly to Everest!! DH convinced me that he would be fine on this ride even though all the other coasters he had been on caused his heart rate to go up, make him turn lovely shades of color, sweat and just be uncomfortable!! I said ok... fine... and off we go!! We walked right on and when it was over he was a lovely shade of green and very sweaty :crazy2: after sitting to calm down and gather ourselves we headed to dinoland and rode Dinosaur (which he was fine on)! Then it was off to a Bugs Life... another one of those rides that you just have to do! I wanted him to ride the Safari Ride the regular way so he could compare what he was going to see later!!! This was probably the best Safari Ride ever!! We got to see all three lions on the rock they were playing and very active!! It was awesome!!!

I decided that I should return the rental car that night so we could sleep in on Sunday... LAST DAY!! So we did that and then had a nice walk back to BCV's.

Tomorrow will bring us to our last day at Disney always a sad sad day for me!

~N
The safari sounds awesome!

Hmmm... Not that it's scary, but if you have short legs like me you have to take long steps because they make it like it's an old bridge that has gaps in it. You are harnessed and there is a net under you, so there is no way you are falling into anything, but you could fall I guess, but maybe not because of the wire that is attached to your harness and the wire above you.. if that makes sense! I never worry about these things because well it is Disney after all!! It's a lot of fun like all the tours are! I love them!!

~N

So you're saying that you couldn't, say jump off the bridge and bounce into the net like a trampoline and then bounce back on to the bridge???

(Looks sad) Well then, I guess that is NOT the 'up close and personal' tour with the animals that I was looking for.....

~NM
;)

What am I going to do!!!! I feel "that" itch again. You know the "oh my god, I have to plan a vacation" itch! We are in the stages of buying a house. We are unsure what our finances will be next year so we are probably not going again until 2015. But I can't take it every picture posted on FB or Instagram of Disney is pure torture! Even my sister said the same thing this morning our vacation this August was the best vacation we had. Even compared to growing up as kids, this trip to the YC blew them away.

So here is my dilemma..... Try & sneak one in maybe next summer, go cheaper and stay value. Or wait until 2015 and do it right and stay @YC again. The area can not be beat! Loved being so close to Epcot. Ugh! What to do what to do!

I vote for YC in 2015 if that played a major part of your great vacation. No bad decision though. :-)

HBGdancermom, per your request this is your notification that I have started my trip report. I will be updating as often as I can and should have it done before you leave for your trip on the 20th. Also for anyone else who may be interested.

It is called Our Best Disney Vacation Yet, featuring BCV and BC CL.

I'm glad you enjoyed my dining report. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Thanks for letting me know. :-)

Nannette
Where did you get info for the behind-the-scenes safari trek?
Thx much'

Disneyworld.com under things to do.. events and tours.

The safari sounds awesome!

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

So you're saying that you couldn't, say jump off the bridge and bounce into the net like a trampoline and then bounce back on to the bridge???

(Looks sad) Well then, I guess that is NOT the 'up close and personal' tour with the animals that I was looking for.....

~NM
;)

Lol! Nope sorry no jumping off!!

I'm staying at YC at the end of next month for the first time :cool1:. I'm worried I won't be able to get out of that pool long enough to enjoy the parks :goodvibes.

Just checking in! :wave2:

It's been a very long time since I've stopped by. :blush: Crazy busy and so needing a vacation - luckily, we'll be at the BC in just 26 days!! :)

I have to say, though, that I've been a little nervous about the CL part of our stay. I posted on the CL board that I got a strange message welcoming me to BC CL, and asking me to send any requests. But I'd already sent all of them months ago and even had a few conversations over the phone. I did get a note back with an apology, telling me that everything was now set, but it made me doubt our decision to pay the extra money for CL. Thinking I may call just to be sure that everything is really in place.

Other than that, I'm so excited to get there! Even DS9 who hasn't been as into Disney lately is starting to get really excited. Last night, I left MDE up and running on my iPad. When I came back to it, he was exploring the Epcot map and couldn't wait to tell me that he'd found Illuminations and the little shop where we'd bought warm blankets on the very chilly night we were there to watch them a few years ago. My sweet boy - that Disney magic is finding it's way back. :love:

Just checking in! :wave2:

It's been a very long time since I've stopped by. :blush: Crazy busy and so needing a vacation - luckily, we'll be at the BC in just 26 days!! :)

I have to say, though, that I've been a little nervous about the CL part of our stay. I posted on the CL board that I got a strange message welcoming me to BC CL, and asking me to send any requests. But I'd already sent all of them months ago and even had a few conversations over the phone. I did get a note back with an apology, telling me that everything was now set, but it made me doubt our decision to pay the extra money for CL. Thinking I may call just to be sure that everything is really in place.

Other than that, I'm so excited to get there! Even DS9 who hasn't been as into Disney lately is starting to get really excited. Last night, I left MDE up and running on my iPad. When I came back to it, he was exploring the Epcot map and couldn't wait to tell me that he'd found Illuminations and the little shop where we'd bought warm blankets on the very chilly night we were there to watch them a few years ago. My sweet boy - that Disney magic is finding it's way back. :love:

I wouldn't worry. We are in the middle of changing everything around because of all the magic bands and my Disney experience stuff ... something probably got crossed on a desk. As long as you have confirmation numbers for everything, you should be all set.

...from our Sep 18-25 Trip, and all went pretty well. Since I spent so much time on the Yacht and Beach Club thread, I thought it made sense to share a few perspectives.

I had the privilege of chatting with Teena during one of the days when she was on duty and she seemed genuinely pleased to meet a Disboards Y&B thread reader, and I shared many of these same observations with her. Very nice lady!

Location, Location, Location
First, my wife was so glad that I persuaded her that we should stay at the Beach club. Her favorite park of the park was World Showcase, and she liked the fact that we could get to and from Epcot in a VERY short stroll, and that Hollywood Studios was a short boat ride away. Bus rides to the other parks were reasonable in length, although my wife dreaded the trip to and from Magic Kingdom, which was the longest. The proximity of the Boardwalk was also nice for Breakfast and Late Night Pizza. I can tell you that after this trip, I can't imagine that if we return that we could ever stay off the property. Disney transportation was so easy and reliable.

Dining
We ate at Beaches and Cream twice, and the staff there was quite delightful, and the food very good "Malt Shop" food. Ice Cream and Shakes were quite tasty. Captain's Grille, I'm sorry to say, was just not good for us. Slow service, limited menu and poorly prepared food. It wasn't even as good as Red Lobster. Cap May Cafe Buffet was pretty good, and they were very nice about bringing our son some French Fries that weren't on the Buffet, but if it wasn't on our Dining Plan, we would never have thought it was worth the retail price. The "MarketPlace" food wasn't bad at all, but pretty limited. We preferred walking to the Boardwalk Bakery, where the selection was just slightly larger for Baked goods. I never did get the chance to enjoy Hurricane Hanna's and the mysterious Sunken Treasure.

Overall, Dining across all parks was really never more than adequate. We happen to live in the NW suburbs of Chicago in an area rich with good, mid to high priced restaurants of all ethnic flavors, and we never had a dining experience that really wowed us, and we suspect that the cleanliness of some of the restaurants could be better, as each of us came down with major stomach trouble during our trip.

Swimming
My son is Autistic, and Stormalong Bay was something he had to warm up to. We had no problems with crowds or finding chairs, but it was all rather disconnected. Lots of closely adjoining pools rather one really connected pool. My wife wasn't wild about wearing a swimsuit in such a public setting either - she's sensitive about some pounds she added. So, we didn't spend much time there, BUT, we did spend a few hours in the Quiet Pool and Hot Tub near the Epcot side. My little guy liked that quieter environment more. We were never alone in the pool, but it was just a much calmer setting and experience, and it was open later, which was nice for us as we tended to come back late.

Arcade
Lafferty Place is someplace I thought we'd spend a bit more time at, but since we didn't spend much time at SAB, we didn't spend much time in the Arcade. It's fairly well stocked with Games, but don't expect any breakthrough experiences or gameplay. Nice place to burn some time on rainy days, but not a destination (which many Parents are no doubt grateful for).

Room
Our room was fine, clean and in good condition. We had a Garden View (4585) that looked out into the Courtyard near the Volleyball court, which was just about perfect in terms of proximity between lobby/transportation and the exit to Epcot, especially after we found the 2nd elevator near the quiet pool on Day 2. Our refrigerator wasn't working well, and we called to have it replaced, which it was, in less than 15 minutes, which was great, but it was replaced with one that hadn't been cleaned, and in which we found a melted/refrozen ice cream bar in the the freezer the next day, which took away a bit from the service experience.

As Rooms go, it was comfortable. The sheets were smooth, not rough at all, and the mattresses firm but soft. Wifi connectivity was fast and consistent. Shower and Bath? A bit tight, but clean and the water pressure was hot and firm. We heard no noise at all from nearby rooms or from the hallway outside, which one of our walls shared.

Service
Overall, everyone was very pleasant and quick to provide any assistance you required with a smile and patience. Not more than I've come to expect at many good hotels, but still, it was indeed good service.

However, Day 1 was our 20th anniversary, and every time I had called up Disney Travel to book, ask questions, etc. they asked if we were celebrating any special occasions, and I always said, yes, it's our 20th Anniversary, and the agent would say something like "Well, we'll see if we can do something special for you!". However, when we checked in, it didn't come up as a question or a comment, even though I saw a staff member walk up holding what I later realized was an Anniversary Pin and talk with the front desk staffer. I figured there might be a small greeting or something in the room - nope. I figured there would be some small dessert at the reservation at Tutto Italia. Nope. I figured there would be something, based upon what Disney Travel had consistently said, but no. So, my wife was a little bummed because I had told her that we could expect ~something~, but there was nothing. I went down to the Front Desk that night and said "I'm not looking for special treatment, but if there's an expected treatment we should have gotten, I'd like to make sure we get it for my wife's enjoyment." The staffer, Roya, looked a little troubled and asked "Did you at least get your Anniversary Pins?" and I said, "No.", at which point she sprang into action, got us our Pins and said she would have something sent up. I expected to get Flowers, but the next day we got a lovely Happy Anniversary White Chocolate Mickey Statue with a card and 4 chocolate covered Tuxedo cherries.

When I spoke to Teena about this, she said that what the Travel Agency enters doesn't always make it to the Front Desk's system, so I guess the moral of the story is that if you are celebrating a special event, you need to tell the front desk about it when you check in.

There were a couple of other service bumps (an unexpected bug problem) but I guess the main thing is that whenever there was an issue, if I asked for it to be addressed, it was, quickly and courteously.

Atmosphere
The Beach Club overall had a "happy busy" kind of feeling. There were a lot of families with kids, but all were well behaved and very happy to be there. It was generally bright and those elevators were some of the fastest I've seen outside of large skyscrapers. The lobby could be a bit "boomy" when it was full of people, making it hard to hear those at the Front Desk, but most times it was just fine.

Overall
We probably plan to go back again to Disney World at least one more time, to repeat some of the experiences we enjoyed and get to some of those that we didn't find time for, and if we do, we will stay at the Beach Club. Why? For us, the central location simply can't be beat. My wife couldn't believe you could literally walk to the park and when she found that we could, she fell in love.

As for the hotel itself? It was a good, friendly experience, although my wife like the Grand Floridian's "grand" feel very much. It's a good hotel, and a nice hotel, but despite the enthusiasm of many on this board, I can't say that it was a really stunning, incredible 4 star experience. I have had to travel quite a bit for work and family, and have stayed in some hotels that cost less per night that are significantly better than the Beach Club, which is showing it's age, despite ongoing maintenance and care. I think that after the planned refurbish that others have been written of, it has the potential to be something really special, but for me, it was a very comfortable and pleasant hotel experience, that wasn't quite worth the price we paid.

But we'll be back! Thanks again to the loyalists on this thread - we learned very much from all of you, and that made our stay at the Beach Club much more predictable and enjoyable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter