2012 - OLYMPIC FREE TOUR - Day 18 - Discovery Cove

DISWolves

Dreams really can come true !!!!
Day 18 – Discovery Cove

TODAYS VIDEO ***Discovery Cove Dolphin Interaction***

Today turned out for me, to be one of the highlights of the entire holiday. Martin had yet again kindly offered the chance to purchase discount tickets via his SeaWorld Annual Pass. Our friends Margaret, Geoff and family by sheer coincidence, had also arranged to visit DC on the same day. We had only learned of this a few weeks before we travelled and so we decided to all join up for a grand gathering. We met up with Martin, Wendy and family and left OKW at around 7:10. When we arrived at DC car park, our other friends were already there. Check in was swift and soon we were heading out into the park.

DSC00057_zpsbfe67dd7.jpg

We stopped for the complimentary group photo before continuing on to be kitted out with wetsuits and snorkels.

DC2012Group1_zpsae5c7d26.jpg

We chose a row of loungers near to Serenity Bay and then deposited our valuables in some nearby lockers. Next up was a visit to Laguna Grill, where we all had breakfast.

DSC00066_zps54c01a23.jpg

DSC00064_zps0a168c90.jpg

The girls decided on some time in the water whilst the rest of us set up camp on the loungers.

DSC00063_zps3ae620f5.jpg

P1040567_zps6d52909c.jpg

The Dolphin Encounter was scheduled at 9:25 from the Sand Dollar Cabana.

DSC00070_zps19c4d813.jpg

This was our sixth visit to Discovery Cove and so decided to leave out the dolphin interaction. Taking part in the swim today was Emma, Wendy, Craig, Abi, Margaret, Jess, Hannah and Katie.

DSC00075_zpsb36436be.jpg

The rest of the party watched from the rocks nearby.

m082212_00_6651_zps4e32082d.jpg

m082212_00_6672_zpsef6650fa.jpg

With the Dolphin Encounter over, Craig and the girls headed over to the Grand Reef whilst we returned to the loungers to collect our snorkel equipment, before making our way back to join them. As usual, the water was absolutely freezing, however this was counteracted by the masses of colourful fish and the majestic rays.

DSC00166_zpsc3454ea8.jpg

After a while we returned to the much warmer waters of Serenity Bay and the Wind-Away River. The first circuit of the tropical river included myself, Sue, Emma, Martin, Abi, Craig, Jess, Hannah and Katie. Margaret and Geoff had decided to visit the birds in the aviary and as we were passing through, Margaret joined us in the water. This was our sixth visit here and yet, for the first time, we met up with a park photographer who was taking photographs with underwater equipment.

m082212_00_1642a_zps78a90376.jpg

m082212_00_1647a_zps2d2e0c48.jpg

m082212_00_1731a_zps2743a150.jpg

DSC00214_zps88ec83d7.jpg

DSC00216_zps7f4d58c5.jpg

DSC00221_zps7c18492a.jpg

DSC00225_zps5f1b73e2.jpg

On completing the full circuit, we returned to our loungers and whilst chilling out, Hannah and Jess spotted the British actor Warwick Davis, who appeared to be with his family and friends. We saw him a number of times during the day, but did not wish to disrupt his enjoyment.

DSC00235_zps804e04c4.jpg

We all re-grouped and made our second visit of the day to Laguna Grill for lunch. Sorry but I had eaten my main meal before remembering to take the photos!

Nigel: Prawn Salad - Teriyaki Chicken with Fries – Cheesecake – Apple Juice.
Sue: Hotdog with Fries – Carrot Cake – Cheesecake - Diet Coke.
Emma: Hotdog with Fries – Chocolate Cake – Fruit Pot – Diet Coke.

DSC00191_zps5575f60e.jpg

DSC00192_zps2bd48c19.jpg

DSC00193_zps9a75f5a3.jpg

DSC00194_zpsf5ca3d63.jpg

We managed to rearrange the tables to seat all of our party and listened to the calypso band whilst chatting and enjoying our lunch.

DSC00198_zps40441cfc.jpg

DSC00189_zps31084f78.jpg

Continued in next post ……

Suitably fuelled up, Emma and Katie headed back into the Wind-Away River whilst the rest of us returned to the loungers. Dark clouds were approaching and we feared the worst, however the weather still remained dry for the remainder of the day.

DSC00201_zps6235f43c.jpg

We decided to head towards the aviary, sampling a few cocktails along the way. Martin and myself also sampled a few packets of our favourite snack – Planters Trail Mix, of which we gathered a few extra bags to accompany us home to remind us of this wonderful place during the long winter months.

DSC00182_zps9335ed93.jpg

We also visited the Freshwater Oasis, where we spent quite a while watching Marmosets and Otters. Geoff returned to the loungers for a quick nap whilst the rest of us found some concrete benches in the water where we chilled out for a while.

m082212_00_2562a_zpsc0f50b0c.jpg

Returning back to our base camp we all commented on what a wonderful day it had been. At around 4:30 we decided to start packing up and made our way back to Guest Services. Since we were a large group, we had decided to purchase the photo CD and split the cost. Also included, as part of the CD was the official photographs that had been taken during the day around the park by the DC photographers. On exiting the lobby/check in building, we noticed Warwick Davis was a few yards behind us. Despite being a big Harry Potter fan, Jess would not ask for an autograph, so I led the way, followed by Jess and Craig, towards his vehicle. All I can say is what a wonderful person he is. He happily signed autographs and posed for photographs whilst in his car. He said he was a regular visitor to Discovery Cove when visiting Orlando.

DSC00239_zps1adba6b5.jpg

On leaving the park, we said our goodbyes to Margaret, Geoff and family whilst the rest of us headed back to OKW. We then made a quick visit to POR for some food.

Nigel: Make your own pasta – Ice cream - Monster energy drink.
Sue: Hot Dog with fries – Cherry Cobbler with ice cream – orange juice.
Emma: Cajun Chicken sandwich with fries – Cheesecake – Monster energy drink.

DSC00242_zps793041f4.jpg

DSC00243_zps5a86e131.jpg

DSC00244_zpsca4e7519.jpg

DSC00245_zpscd20af2a.jpg

We returned back to OKW at around 7:30 where we ended the day with a glass of wine and reflected on what a memorable day it had been.

Coming up next – Magic Kingdom EMH – Manny's (4) – Hollywood Studios

Return to INDEX

Wow, what's wonderful day, your trip so ar has just been amazing. How nice to meet Warwick :goodvibes

Warwick genuinely looks pleased to talk to you ...... Dale Winton stood in front of us in KB toys in the Premium Outlets and kept shooting daggers as if to say don't dare talk to me! Can understand these guys are on holiday and appreciate some respect, just saying how nice it is when a personality goes that extra mile ...... Well done Warwick!

It's been many years since we last went to DC - now I really want to go back ! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter