2012 Destashing Thread

I cleaned out 3 drawers yesterday looking for my camera charger.I got 1 bag of trash, a few things for goodwill and no battery charger

I cleaned out 3 drawers yesterday looking for my camera charger.I got 1 bag of trash, a few things for goodwill and no battery charger

Unintended consequences, of the good kind? :) Hopefully, the charger will appear soon, but congratulations on the de-stashing.

I posted on the other thread about how to start destashing but I thought I would post my experiences here as well. My DH is in negotiations for a job in Florida and we would have to move from Wisconsin. Destashing is all we do these days. I have made 9 trips to Goodwill this week and I am preparing another load for today. We have given many things away to family with more to come. It was very difficult to get started and even more difficult to get rid of some thiings, but once we got past giving up all the unused stuff it was very freeing. Our families have asked us how we could give up so much stuff and I describe it as a sort of cleansing. Except for a handful of sentimental things and our family photos it really is just stuff.

Did Knex, more playmobil, toy, and my son's desk. 3 hrs. of cleaning. I miscounted. We have 13 tubs of legos. Hitting those tomorrow. Then toy closet cleaned except my stuff and I will hit that 1 night this week. Then move to my son's room on Friday night.

Finished the shelves in the toy closet with my stuff. I have a box of craft stuff to donate to a women's prison ministry and more stuff for the yard sale. Moving to our computer cabinet next time.

I spent my sunday destashing. I have been working so much that everything got piled up again. I cleaned out my closet again since I have gone down another size. Plus I cleaned out kitchen cupboards and took 4 bags to goodwill this morning on my way to work.

Cleaned out the shelves in my son's closet this evening. Can't do anything tomorrow night but am hitting the DVD collection the next night.

Finally finished YDD's room and have a couple giant bags to drop at goodwill. Also cleaned out the linen closet of the flat sheets since the kids dont use them.

I'm about done my destashing for 2012. I leave on Sunday for WDW and wont be back until the new year. I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday and new years celebration!

Cleaned out the shelves in my son's closet this evening. Can't do anything tomorrow night but am hitting the DVD collection the next night.

Straightned all the DVDs and even got rid of some. My husband cleaned up his collection too. Moving to son's closet with toys tomorrow. We are doing great.

Dh went through all his clothes and has a huge bag to drop at goodwill.tomorrow. Next week he'll have a large bag of work clothes to toss too since they reek of restaurants. I'm proud of him for actually getting rid of things he doesn't wear anymore. :)

We have slowly working on decluttering our house. Donated alot to our church yard sale. Now I am in a shutdown overwhelmed mode. DH is an only child and just recently lost last surviving parent. His parents had lived in the same house for 50 years They were depression era people who never threw anything out. I threw out a kitchen size trash bag that had nothing but grocery store plastic bags & plastic vegetable bags. I don't even know where to start .....clean out or remove the collectables that we want to keep.

We have slowly working on decluttering our house. Donated alot to our church yard sale. Now I am in a shutdown overwhelmed mode. DH is an only child and just recently lost last surviving parent. His parents had lived in the same house for 50 years They were depression era people who never threw anything out. I threw out a kitchen size trash bag that had nothing but grocery store plastic bags & plastic vegetable bags. I don't even know where to start .....clean out or remove the collectables that we want to keep.

Shanan, I understand exactly how you feel. I have been working thru my parents' home, where they had lived since 1967. Definitely you have some *hugs* from me. I just started with the closets. My Dad was a pack-rat and never threw away stuff, either. I have found tax returns from the 1950's! One positive: it has given me the incentive to de-clutter my own house, though. :)

As far as the collectibles v. clean out: I have found I am finding things where I thought I would only have Goodwill stuff. If your in-laws were Depression babies, I think there is a good possibility there might be $ somewhere hidden, too (I know there was with my in-laws.)

After Christmas and a child's birthday right after Christmas, I feel like my decluttering efforts have been destroyed! I cannot imagine how much worse my house would be had I not decluttered what I did in this past year. I even just got rid of a three drawer chest today.

Here's to decluttering being on my New Year's Resolution list for 2013!

We've done a lot of decluttering since Christmas. Decided to get rid of things in the kids rooms as they were finding room for their new stuff. They were very receptive of letting things go :thumbsup2

I dropped some clothing off at Goodwill on Saturday and will have a few more things tomorrow. Just glad I saw this thread to give me some incentive when I needed it. Thanks, everyone!

My grand plans for a complete overhaul were derailed by everyone getting the flu. Sadly DH's 2 weeks of vacation were a complete waste.

So we are refocusing our efforts for 2013.

Has anyone started a new thread yet?

To the OP. Thanks for the 2012 Destash thread. Our home has hugely benefited from this in 2012. :thumbsup2

Please start a destash thread for 2013.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter