2011/2012 Beach & Yacht FAQ, Part IV- DO NOT POST- see new 2012 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here goes nothing......................

DisneyTrip2011128.jpg

OMG!!! I really did it!!!

This is my first official picture post to the DIS. And let's see, I've only been a Dis board member for ....how...many....years....:rotfl:

The directions were perfect!!!!!

So, I pretty much have our touring plans nailed down, and naturally, as we are staying at BC, we have alot of meals scheduled in WS. We are getting hoppers, so I was wondering....
Several nights, we will be going to MK, but have dinner at WS...based on past experience...I do not think that the walk from WS to the monorail at the front of the park is too bad...probably about 10 minutes, right??
Well, wouldn't it be quicker for us to finish dinner and just head to the monorail to get to MK, instead of walking back to the resort bus station, waiting for bus and getting over there??? Correct me if I'm wrong.

It probably depends where you are in the WS. If you are in Mexico, Norway, China, Germany, Italy, it is probably quicker to go to MK using the monorail. If you are in Japan or Morocco or Canada, it is probably a wash. If you are in France or UK, it is probably slightly quicker to go back to the BC to take the bus, assuming a very short wait for the bus.

Since there is noo way of knowing in advance how long you will have to wait for a bus, if I was in the WS heading to MK, I would definitely take the mono. It is such an enjoyable ride.

P.S. I know it wasn't a BC or YC picture, sorry about that, I was just using that pic as a trial!!!

This is my first official picture post to the DIS. And let's see, I've only been a Dis board member for ....how...many....years....:rotfl:

Yay you did it!!:yay:

Great directions Dee!!:thumbsup2

Congrats!!! What a great looking family.

OK- here is your next lesson...

You can customize your uploads so they all upload at the same size. I think the default is full size. I have all my uploads the pictures in a large size:

On the page where you get the green button that says

"Select Photos and Videos"

There is a place where Facebook Twitter and Myspace are listed

Below that there are very small blue letters that say

"Customize your upload options"

When you click on the link you get a box that says

"Choose a setting for websized copies of your photos to link and share"

I use the LARGE setting (640x480)

You just need to do this once, not every time you upload.

I sent a PM to cruisingkat last week to make arrangements for the noodle swap but haven't heard back yet. I was hoping if I posted in here, they would hopefully see the post and get back to me since they are leaving in a few days. If not, I will just head to bell services and have them look under Mrs. Noodle. Should I be going to bell services at the BC or YC?

You should start giving lessons...............Teena could set you up in the solarium during your BC visits!!!

This was so easy, I can't believe it's taken me so long to get the nerve up to ask.

In Oct. we took a taxi from DTD & then back to POR & it was around $18.00 total. It was a rainy morning & a great day for shopping. Got some great buys!:goodvibes

Great to know. Thanks!

I've got my husband interested in visiting the mall too, so now I just have to keep that momentum going for the next trhee weeks. :)

It probably depends where you are in the WS. If you are in Mexico, Norway, China, Germany, Italy, it is probably quicker to go to MK using the monorail. If you are in Japan or Morocco or Canada, it is probably a wash. If you are in France or UK, it is probably slightly quicker to go back to the BC to take the bus, assuming a very short wait for the bus.

Since there is noo way of knowing in advance how long you will have to wait for a bus, if I was in the WS heading to MK, I would definitely take the mono. It is such an enjoyable ride.

Thanks!!! That's what I think I will do!!! And, our meals in WS are in Germany, Japan, Norway, and Canada. :goodvibes I think the monorail is the best bet!

Sent my flight info to the other family that is traveling with us and no email in reply. I'm not sure what's up with them... We love them, but I can only plan for my own family, KWIM? All my ADRs are for 8, and I know they wanted to do CRT (no princess fans in my house so not a priority for us!) but I'll bet they haven't booked anything. Maybe I'll gently suggest Akershus... I'd hate their DD to be disappointed. SNIP!!!! ... They are going to get quite a jolt if they follow me around!!! LOL

I'd just thought I would throw in here. That being said Don't mind me and my advice...

First Having done CRT AND Akershus I can say that Akershus is Waaaay better because the food is better, the atmosphere is better since the space is not so cramped like in the Castle and I think the princesses are not as rushed as they seem to be in the Castle.
~ Now see below for Ole Marlton Mom's advice about traveling with other families.

Another family might be going for our June trip and I am so worried. I am just going with that we will do our best but since they are taking so long to decide, I am not going to mess up our plans on a maybe. I hope your friends decide soon!

IMO There are two basic types of Disney vacationers. Those that know how to work the system to their advantage and then there is everybody else. Guess which camp those of us reading this board fall into?

So it's only natural that when you are traveling with another family they also will fall into one one of the above two categories. The ironic part about the whole deal is that in order to have a great time at the parks... It Doesn't Matter Which Of The Two Camps one falls into.

Still there is the problem of trying to do things together with another family. Chances are, what's important to your family will not be that important to them. Therein lies the rub. The key is to make sure everybody gets to vacation at Disney the way that THEY want to.

I have found that there are two things that you can do together at Disney that will not drive people insane. The first is to have a meal together after touring the parks separately. The two (or more) families can go around the parks on their schedule with out the pressure of the "You're doing TOO MUCH/TOO LITTLE/ NOT WHAT I WANT TO DO" problem that will in all certainty pop up when touring with a group.

The second thing is to meet at the pool in the afternoon for a break. Set a time zone and say "we will be at the pool from X to Y. If you'd like to meet us there that would be great but if not no worries."

There is nothing worse than being dragged around WDW on somebody else's agenda. Resentments are sure to surface and people aren't going to be happy. If you are painted into a corner because people think of you as the expert and they want you to do all their thinking FOR THEM then wiggle your way out by saying "you need to do the research (and here are the sites) to determine what your family would like, but really you don't need to plan LIKE I DO to have a great time".

Leaving the ball in their court takes the pressure off of you and puts the responsibility for their vacation happiness right back in their lap, which is where it belongs.

Yeah sure, we all love our friends and family and we really want to help them, but is that going to be at the expense of our own families enjoyment of the vacation? The bigger the group, the more waiting you wind up doing, especially if you are traveling with people that don't truly appreciate the need to be on time or get with your program

Believe me, it takes awhile to understand the advantages of touring the parks a certain way and when you are traveling with people who are new to that and don't quite get it,~ or ~ may not be good candidates for touring that way, disaster is only a fast pass away.

The other bug a boo is that when making ADR's at certain restaurants there is now a penalty for no shows. To me this is a HUGE Disadvantage, even if I am traveling just with my own family, let alone trying to coordinate a group and having them get there on time. Reports are surfacing that some of these restaurants are dumping your reservation and tacking on a fee if you are late. Traveling with another family that doesn't get this can really be a problem. In light of this new complication be sure to either plan on no penalty meal locations or be sure the other traveling companions understand the need to be there for sure.

If you do find yourself in that conundrum where people insist on following you around, let them know that you have a schedule to keep and if they can't make the times that you need then you will meet them there. Don't make the mistake of waiting for them. That is a losing proposition and will only build resentment because you are missing out while you sit around and wait for them. Cellphones are great so use them to communicate meeting spots and times.

As long as you are able to have good communication and let your traveling companions know that there are certain things that they have to get right like making an ADR time and if they are touring with you, they have to stick to your plan, which includes being on time, things have a chance to work out.

Also emphasize that it's ok to split up and meet up later. Be honest, tell them that you like to go full throttle at WDW and that might not suit them. Tell them they have the choice of following you or splitting up and that either choice will lead to a great vacation for everybody.

Good luck and try not to stress. Be sure to communicate with the other family what your concerns are and encourage them to communicate theirs. Hopefully everything will work out... but if they still don't seem to get it then limit what you're willing to do with them. Sometimes it's best to just say see you at the hotel!

~Marlton Mom

I agree with MM!!!

Stick with your family for the day and meet the others either during the Pool break, or dinner that evening.......then say "see you guys at the pool tomorrow!!"

I'd just thought I would throw in here. That being said Don't mind me and my advice...

First Having done CRT AND Akershus I can say that Akershus is Waaaay better because the food is better, the atmosphere is better since the space is not so cramped like in the Castle and I think the princesses are not as rushed as they seem to be in the Castle.
~ Now see below for Ole Marlton Mom's advice about traveling with other families.

IMO There are two basic types of Disney vacationers. Those that know how to work the system to their advantage and then there is everybody else. Guess which camp those of us reading this board fall into?

So it's only natural that when you are traveling with another family they also will fall into one one of the above two categories. The ironic part about the whole deal is that in order to have a great time at the parks... It Doesn't Matter Which Of The Two Camps one falls into.

Still there is the problem of trying to do things together with another family. Chances are, what's important to your family will not be that important to them. Therein lies the rub. The key is to make sure everybody gets to vacation at Disney the way that THEY want to.

I have found that there are two things that you can do together at Disney that will not drive people insane. The first is to have a meal together after touring the parks separately. The two (or more) families can go around the parks on their schedule with out the pressure of the "You're doing TOO MUCH/TOO LITTLE/ NOT WHAT I WANT TO DO" problem that will in all certainty pop up when touring with a group.

The second thing is to meet at the pool in the afternoon for a break. Set a time zone and say "we will be at the pool from X to Y. If you'd like to meet us there that would be great but if not no worries."

There is nothing worse than being dragged around WDW on somebody else's agenda. Resentments are sure to surface and people aren't going to be happy. If you are painted into a corner because people think of you as the expert and they want you to do all their thinking FOR THEM then wiggle your way out by saying "you need to do the research (and here are the sites) to determine what your family would like, but really you don't need to plan LIKE I DO to have a great time".

Leaving the ball in their court takes the pressure off of you and puts the responsibility for their vacation happiness right back in their lap, which is where it belongs.

Yeah sure, we all love our friends and family and we really want to help them, but is that going to be at the expense of our own families enjoyment of the vacation? The bigger the group, the more waiting you wind up doing, especially if you are traveling with people that don't truly appreciate the need to be on time or get with your program

Believe me, it takes awhile to understand the advantages of touring the parks a certain way and when you are traveling with people who are new to that and don't quite get it,~ or ~ may not be good candidates for touring that way, disaster is only a fast pass away.

The other bug a boo is that when making ADR's at certain restaurants there is now a penalty for no shows. To me this is a HUGE Disadvantage, even if I am traveling just with my own family, let alone trying to coordinate a group and having them get there on time. Reports are surfacing that some of these restaurants are dumping your reservation and tacking on a fee if you are late. Traveling with another family that doesn't get this can really be a problem. In light of this new complication be sure to either plan on no penalty meal locations or be sure the other traveling companions understand the need to be there for sure.

If you do find yourself in that conundrum where people insist on following you around, let them know that you have a schedule to keep and if they can't make the times that you need then you will meet them there. Don't make the mistake of waiting for them. That is a losing proposition and will only build resentment because you are missing out while you sit around and wait for them. Cellphones are great so use them to communicate meeting spots and times.

As long as you are able to have good communication and let your traveling companions know that there are certain things that they have to get right like making an ADR time and if they are touring with you, they have to stick to your plan, which includes being on time, things have a chance to work out.

Also emphasize that it's ok to split up and meet up later. Be honest, tell them that you like to go full throttle at WDW and that might not suit them. Tell them they have the choice of following you or splitting up and that either choice will lead to a great vacation for everybody.

Good luck and try not to stress. Be sure to communicate with the other family what your concerns are and encourage them to communicate theirs. Hopefully everything will work out... but if they still don't seem to get it then limit what you're willing to do with them. Sometimes it's best to just say see you at the hotel!

~Marlton Mom

We went with another family last year. We are planners, they are not. :scared1: In the course of discussing the trip, it became clear that we were at odds with each other. I settled it by handing them a copy of our itinerary (an excel spreadsheet that is laminated and color coded...) and telling them to text us if they are near us and want to hook up! :thumbsup2 It actually worked out great, we ended up meeting for parades, and some rides, but it didn't turn out to be stressful at all that way.

I sent a PM to cruisingkat last week to make arrangements for the noodle swap but haven't heard back yet. I was hoping if I posted in here, they would hopefully see the post and get back to me since they are leaving in a few days. If not, I will just head to bell services and have them look under Mrs. Noodle. Should I be going to bell services at the BC or YC?

The Noodle family live in the BC bell services closet.

Thank you MM! We can make a two family trip work. I know we tour similar (since I helped her plan her first trip :cool1:) our biggest issue is they love the values so if they decide to come, they will be at Movies making pool time impossible. We will figure it out though!

Now next question--Pixarmom (and others) have made me feel better about doing a signature. We are booked for Father's Day at Yachtsman but the reviews are not very good. We have a Ruth's Chris close by so we can get that kind of dining experience at home. Is Flying Fish a better choice? Any other favorites close to BC?

Can anyone tell me if the clocks that are in the rooms iPod docks? Trying to figure out how to charge the iPods while we're there for our flight home.....:goodvibes

Here's a picture of the iClock in the rooms:

clockihomedock.jpg

Hope that helps.

Has anyone used this to charge up their iPods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!