2011/2012 Beach & Yacht FAQ, Part IV- DO NOT POST- see new 2012 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel so loved here! :love:
Since the ToT race is the 1st weekend of F&W, it's especially awesome to be at BC. I think with the race discount my view is limited but it's not a big deal. And I'm still hoping for an even better AP discount before the trip.

Amanda

Are you at the BC or BCV? So glad you are coming "home".

Does anyone have a picture of the current Bounceback offer in the room? If so, please send to me or post.

Or if you are going soon, can you take a picture for me? Pretty please???

TIA!

lynn46356 had a photo of the 2012 Bounceback!!! I'll post this on Page 1.

Thanks, Lynn!

IMG.jpg

Now next question--Pixarmom (and others) have made me feel better about doing a signature. We are booked for Father's Day at Yachtsman but the reviews are not very good. We have a Ruth's Chris close by so we can get that kind of dining experience at home. Is Flying Fish a better choice? Any other favorites close to BC?

My personal experience with Yachtsman has been mixed. First time, it was okay. I expected a little more, but it wasn't bad just not as good as I thought it would be.

Decided to give it another shot the following year. Loved it! So good. Glad to have gone again and felt it was best meal of trip.

Went back the following year. Not good. Very disappointed in my meal. Had to send my cold steak back. Yes, it was cold. It took quite awhile to come out so I guess it sat for some time. Gentleman at nearby table was complaining to manager and I was kinda rolling my eyes, thinking he sure had a lot to say and how could it be that bad. Well .... I guess he had it right.

Same trip we went to Shula's Steakhouse in the Dolphin. It was the best! Prior to that, I would have said I only had a steak that good at The Palm in Vegas. Theirs was just as yummy. And the dessert (key lime pie) was amazing.

I don't know that I will return to Yachtsman, although it is convenient. I would prefer to go to Flying Fish ... have always had a very good meal there each year. And looking to return to Shula's this summer. Both of those restaurants are just a short walk away.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

My personal experience with Yachtsman has been mixed. First time, it was okay. I expected a little more, but it wasn't bad just not as good as I thought it would be.

Decided to give it another shot the following year. Loved it! So good. Glad to have gone again and felt it was best meal of trip.

Went back the following year. Not good. Very disappointed in my meal. Had to send my cold steak back. Yes, it was cold. It took quite awhile to come out so I guess it sat for some time. Gentleman at nearby table was complaining to manager and I was kinda rolling my eyes, thinking he sure had a lot to say and how could it be that bad. Well .... I guess he had it right.

Same trip we went to Shula's Steakhouse in the Dolphin. It was the best! Prior to that, I would have said I only had a steak that good at The Palm in Vegas. Theirs was just as yummy. And the dessert (key lime pie) was amazing.

I don't know that I will return to Yachtsman, although it is convenient. I would prefer to go to Flying Fish ... have always had a very good meal there each year. And looking to return to Shula's this summer. Both of those restaurants are just a short walk away.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I've been getting lots of really great and really bad reviews of Yachtsman ... probably the last two years it has been a real rollercoaster. On the other hand, I got two bad reviews in the last few months about Shula's which surprised me because before that, I had heard nothing but good. I've also been getting good and bad "service" reviews from Canada. And the other one I've been recently receiving good and bad about is Narcoosee's. It seems on the ones I just mentioned that it is either over the top super good and then really bad (service and/or food). Seems funny there is such an inconsistency. I'd sure like to know what's up. I hate to recommend restaurants anymore!

We will be eating at the Yachtsman for our first meal of our trip on March 10. We love a good steakhouse so we are all looking forward to it.

I will be sure to post my review once we return home.

Dee I followed the instructions, but my ticker is cut off :confused3

I think the reason for this is because of all of the other things (past trips) you have listed in your signature. You only get a certain amount of space for signature stuff. My ticker cut off too when I first made it, so I had to make the links to my trip report smaller. If you put some of the past trips on the same line, you should be good.

Now next question--Pixarmom (and others) have made me feel better about doing a signature. We are booked for Father's Day at Yachtsman but the reviews are not very good. We have a Ruth's Chris close by so we can get that kind of dining experience at home. Is Flying Fish a better choice? Any other favorites close to BC?

If you've done Ruth's Chris often the Yachtsman won't be a big deal. DW and I have enjoyed the two dinners we've had at Yachtsman. Having said that, I wouldn't make a special effort to get there but if you are staying YC/BC it is so darn convenient that it is hard to ignore. We did Flying Fish a few years ago. I have had better meals at Red Lobster. Could have been the kids running around that didn't help any. But I will say that I think the fish I had at Artist Point in WL was much better than what I had at Flying Fish, but to get to WL vs. walking over to Flying Fish, well, talk about your convenience factor. Narcoosee's at the GF was a very good experience for us in 2010 but I really think that at any of the restaurants a lot has to do with the wait staff, their attention to you and your meal, and the people that are around you at the time. I'd stay with Yachtsman and decide on your own. Then the next time back you can chose, but chose wisely.

If you've done Ruth's Chris often the Yachtsman won't be a big deal. DW and I have enjoyed the two dinners we've had at Yachtsman. Having said that, I wouldn't make a special effort to get there but if you are staying YC/BC it is so darn convenient that it is hard to ignore. We did Flying Fish a few years ago. I have had better meals at Red Lobster. Could have been the kids running around that didn't help any. But I will say that I think the fish I had at Artist Point in WL was much better than what I had at Flying Fish, but to get to WL vs. walking over to Flying Fish, well, talk about your convenience factor. Narcoosee's at the GF was a very good experience for us in 2010 but I really think that at any of the restaurants a lot has to do with the wait staff, their attention to you and your meal, and the people that are around you at the time. I'd stay with Yachtsman and decide on your own. Then the next time back you can chose, but chose wisely.

Thanks Katesdad.....We will be trying Yachtsman for the first time in June as our date night. Had thought about Shula's but decided to stick with Yachtsman.

I could have written the rest of your review word for word. Same experience at Flying Fish. We had a screamer next to us. His parents took him into the candy shop next door to calm him then brought him back out. Didn't work. We will give another try sometime though.

Thoroughly enjoyed Artist Point and Narcoosee's.

Are you at the BC or BCV? So glad you are coming "home".

I'll be at BC for both trips. In August we're staying in a deluxe room - so CL. For the race I'm staying in either a standard or garden view room (I have to check the email). I booked that through WDW-IRUN and they have special race weekend discounts. I wasn't given a choice of what room I wanted.

Amanda

My DH and I had an excellent meal at Yachtsman but it was 2 years ago. I've read several good reviews of Flying Fish recently and we're hoping to get the Chef's Table in August.
My parents had a fantastic meal at Shula's in January. We're all New Yorkers and they are definitely steakhouse snobs. They said everything was wonderful - service, food, wine, etc. We also really like Bluezoo, especially for fish. We've eaten there twice, including once with our 3 young children, and thought the food and staff were excellent! (I ate there the night before the marathon and they had created a special pasta dish that was supposed to be an ideal composition for pre-race. :confused3 )
Enjoy!

Amanda

It has come to my attention that Mickey and the skiff Ariel may be missing from Fittings & Fairings, the Yacht Club gift shop:

fittings.jpg

file photo by Cinderumbrella

Can someone who has been to the resort recently, or who is going soon, please confirm or deny this situation?

Bonus points if you can find out if he is coming back...

Thanks!

Dee

We ate at Yachtsman in 2007 & had a bad experience. We've eaten at Shula's three times since then & have enjoyed every meal very much!

I made an ADR for Yachtsman for our upcoming April trip. I thought we should give it another try but DH didn't want to so I changed it to Shula's.

I think the reason for this is because of all of the other things (past trips) you have listed in your signature. You only get a certain amount of space for signature stuff. My ticker cut off too when I first made it, so I had to make the links to my trip report smaller. If you put some of the past trips on the same line, you should be good.

Hmmm- I'm going to have to play around w/ mine- the ticker has been cut off at the bottom, and I couldn't figure out why....thanks for the tip!

It has come to my attention that Mickey and the skiff Ariel may be missing from Fittings & Fairings, the Yacht Club gift shop:

fittings.jpg

file photo by Cinderumbrella

Can someone who has been to the resort recently, or who is going soon, please confirm or deny this situation?

Bonus points if you can find out if he is coming back...

Thanks!

Dee

I have heard on the boards that the boat needed to be refurbished and that it was too expensive so it wasn't coming back. I have also seen it speculated that they wanted the room for more merchandise.

What did I win?

Also I will be making an appearance THIS MONDAY NIGHT :banana: :banana: :banana: at The Captain's Grille for dinner with a celebrity/ mystery guest from these very boards :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:.

When I'm there I plan on doing a quality control assessment as to the fit and finish of the food. If it's not up to par I plan on personally STORMING THE KITCHEN WITH A SHRIMP FORK AND VOICING MY CONCERNS! Fear not people as I have every confidence in the wonderfulness of said establishment.

While dining at the Yacht Club/Beach Club area I also shall pick the brains (in my zombie voice "Ummm BRAINS....") of the CM's at the Marketplace to determine all the scuttle butt as to the "wear"-abouts of the resort specific merchandise. Then I shall scuttle my butt back to All Stars Movies and reside in relative squalor when compared to the luxurious Beach Club! (Ack!)

The weather is looking fine here for take off early Monday morning so it looks like all that worrying about the snow storm of the century the day I have to be at an airport was for naught!

I have packed my suitcase and some of my 8 hundred tons of camera equipment. By the time I arrive in the world I shall have biceps like Popeye from carrying that stuff around.

I also have given up hope that DH and DS will not "go feral" in my absence and I realize that any fresh fruit or veggies that I may purchase for them in my absence will be moldering in the fridge when I return. I probably should just go to the wholesale club and buy the giant box of "Hot Pockets" and be done with the 2 of them!

So that's the latest. I've been watching all the various weather forecasts for the Orlando area next week and let's just say that it's like listening to "Sybil" and all her personalities. They can't make up there mind(s) so I guess I will just have to wait and see when I get there!

~Marlton Mom
PS. remind me to pack a shrimp fork!

The weather is looking fine here for take off early Monday morning so it looks like all that worrying about the snow storm of the century the day I have to be at an airport was for naught!remind me to pack a shrimp fork!

So happy the storm of the century won't interfere with your take off.... I have that same fear only it will be the storm of the century March 15th!! Wishing an amazing get away just you and your camera! I look forward to seeing all the amazing pics you get! Enjoy Monday din with the celeb!!

~Nannette

PS don't forget the shrimp fork!!

natebenma Dee, I apologize for making you change my trip AGAIN

After lots of budgeting...I couldn't stay away from a deluxe if only for 1/2 the trip. My plan was to surprise DH (his birthday), and DD is also turning 6 on Memorial Day...the girls picked BWI CL, but SAB kept calling me....and I was going to switch and do YC GV, but after calling....I stuck with CL, so now.................

May 28th-Jun 1st YC GV CL (2 rooms) coming from Pop century :woohoo:

If I leave the reservation alone for 3 months, I will have a record:laughing:

Martlon Mom Safe travels, hope the Spring weather stays put in Jersey for awhile....LOVE IT!

nannette How is your tootsie feeling (I haven't been here for awhile)?

When I'm there I plan on doing a quality control assessment as to the fit and finish of the food. If it's not up to par I plan on personally STORMING THE KITCHEN WITH A SHRIMP FORK AND VOICING MY CONCERNS!~Marlton Mom

I do not fear for the safety of the cooks at the Grille for I have never had a bad meal there. I hope you and the celebraty who shall go nameless here have a great meal. I'm really looking forward to the pictures upon your return. Hope you have great weather and an enjoyable solo-vacation.

natebenma Dee, I apologize for making you change my trip AGAIN

After lots of budgeting...I couldn't stay away from a deluxe if only for 1/2 the trip. My plan was to surprise DH (his birthday), and DD is also turning 6 on Memorial Day...the girls picked BWI CL, but SAB kept calling me....and I was going to switch and do YC GV, but after calling....I stuck with CL, so now.................

May 28th-Jun 1st YC GV CL (2 rooms) coming from Pop century :woohoo:

If I leave the reservation alone for 3 months, I will have a record:laughing:

Not a problem!!! I'll just remember to put your listing in a non-permanent font this time! Glad you are sticking with the YC (for now...)

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter