2010: A Year of Wine and Disney Trip Report- Victoria and Albert's Part 2 6-7!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoying your reviews. As a past band chaperone at disney, all I can say is being solo is much more fun. :lmao:

Looking forward to more reviews. :goodvibes

Thanks for reading along. While I'm not sure what this upcoming trip will hold, rest assured it will be very different from a solo trip ;)

I'm the manager of an adult community band and we play at Disneyland every year, I can't image chaperoning kids! :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

It will be an adventure for sure. It will also be exhausting. We are bussing down overnight Friday, check in at the hotel when we get there, and then the kids are free to go to a park of their choice. We meet up for dinner at Epcot at one of the event areas so we can also watch Illuminations, then bus over directly to Magic Kingdom for Grad Night. I'm guessing I will hit bed around 5am :) Then they can go to another park of their choosing the next day before bussing back Sunday night overnight. Still not sure if I will actually sleep at all that weekend :)

I'm enjoying your reviews! Do you have TS dining planned for Grad Night?
You'll need your stregnth, don't cha know!:cool1:

I'm enjoying your reviews! Do you have TS dining planned for Grad Night?
You'll need your stregnth, don't cha know!:cool1:

Well we are having the Illuminations buffet style dinner at Epcot pre-Grade Night. Since I have no clue what my duties will entail I will not be making any ADRs for this trip :) I may see if I can do a walk up at Boma for breakfast after Grad Night, but who knows how I will be feeling.

I do hope the Disney geniuses decide to keep Aloha Isle open for Grad Night. I plan to keep my strength up with a constant stream of Dole Whip floats. :yay:

Ok, time for one of my favorite meals of the trip, Jiko - The Cooking Place. I decided to put the full name there as that is where I sat, the Cooking Place show kitchen. I think this is the perfect place to sit if you are eating solo. You could occupy your time watching delicious appetizers being concocted. Or, if you are lucky as I was, have two other solo diners on either side to enjoy in conversation as well as eating the wonderful food. Here is a picture of one of the chefs at work, crafting my appetizer in fact:

One interesting note was that I wasn't given a tour of the restaurant as I have heard from others. My guess is because I asked to sit at the Cooking Place they decided it wasn't necessary.

I knew that this meal was going to be based around whichever entree I chose. By that I mean that I was going to ask for a wine that paired well as well as choose an appetizer that I felt would work well with the entree. I have read and heard so much about the filet with mac and cheese. However, I also knew that I would be getting the filet at LeCellier later in the week. I wanted more variety in my meals for the week so I ended up deciding on the Short Rib and the rest fell into place from there.

To start I had a glass of Warwick Pinotage. The wine was a full bodied red, but with a nice smoothness. Choosing an appetizer was very difficult, especially as I watched a number constructed in front of me. One choice was the Chef's specialty flatbread. On this day it was a Cranberry and Applewood smoked bacon flatbread. It looked really good with thick slices of bacon. I just felt it was too big for me. It did get a thumbs up from the gentleman sitting next to me. :) I decided to stay with the beef theme of the meal and had the Tibs Watt in Pannekoeke - Braised Beef Rolled in “Crepes” with Peppadew-Olive Tapenade:

You are given three of these tasty morsels, but they were so tempting one was already down the gullet before I remembered the photo :) These were a perfect start to the meal. Enough to get my appetite ready for the main course, but not overly filling. The beef was dominate, as I think it should be, but was tempered nicely by the tapenade which gave it a slight tartness.

The appetizer was then followed by the main course, Barbecue Beef Short Ribs with Potato, Mushroom Pave:

The online menus show this served with Onion Garlic sauce, but I'm not certain that was the case this evening. The short rib was so tender and flavorful I had to make sure I was remembering to breath :) The barbecue sauce was a nice mix of tart and sweet without being overpowering, and I made sure to sop up any stray vestiges of it with the fall off the bone meat. Peeking out behind the short rib you can see some type of leafy vegetablely product. I'm going to say it was wilted spinach and sauteed and wilted is how I like my leafy vegetables. However, I have to think it was there to make people feel good about themselves after stuffing themselves with beefy potatoey goodness. The pave was a great accompaniment. Very thin layers of potato surrounding a layer of mushroom. Very delicious and enjoyed the click of my fork as it plunged through the layers to take a bite.

While appetizer and entree were excellent I made sure to pace myself as to allow room for dessert. I figured I would try to maximize my tasting abilities and chose the Jiko Trio - Flourless Chocolate Cake, Caramel Ice Cream and Chocolate Mousse:

Jiko has a nice selection of teas, so I paired this with some Organic Roobis South Africa. A nice herbal tea that can be an excellent substitute for coffee. It also helped cut the sweetness of the dessert when needed. This was the perfect end for a wonderful meal. The flourless chocolate cake made a slide into third, trailing some caramel with it ;) Very rich and decadent I would eat a bit of this with some of the caramel ice cream. The ice cream is in the center, winking at you with it's chocolate eyelash. The creaminess of the ice cream was perfect with dense chocolate cake. The mousse was also very nice, but the cake and ice cream are what would make me come back for more of this.

So after a somewhat disappointing lunch, this dinner just blew me away. I am continually looking over my June trip plans to see if I might be able to fit in Jiko to the plans. If it doesn't work out, I will definitely be back here for my October trip.

Coming up next - Mama Melrose!

Enjoying your reviews. I had to laugh when I read about your Lapu Lapu experience (or lack of). On the evening we were at the Poly for our Kona ressie, my son ordered a Lapu Lapu and the bartender said he had gotten the very last pineapple. I didn't look at your dates but this was Mar 11. Same day?

We also love seating at the Cooking Place at Jiko. IMHO, next to Cali Grill I think Jiko has the next best wine cellar on property.

Enjoying your reviews. I had to laugh when I read about your Lapu Lapu experience (or lack of). On the evening we were at the Poly for our Kona ressie, my son ordered a Lapu Lapu and the bartender said he had gotten the very last pineapple. I didn't look at your dates but this was Mar 11. Same day?

We also love seating at the Cooking Place at Jiko. IMHO, next to Cali Grill I think Jiko has the next best wine cellar on property.

Hi bgdiznee, thanks for following along. :)

I was on the search for a Lapu Lapu on March 12th, so your son can be spared my lack of pineapple drinking apparatus wrath ;) These were definitely extremely popular drinks.

I have an ADR at Cali Grill on my June trip and I'm looking forward to a nice glass of wine to go with my meal.

Ok, better get back to this report or I will still be working on it in June. And I would actually like to be completed by the time the Grad Nite trip comes around, which is under 3 weeks. Seems almost crazy that I will be back at the World that quickly.

After an amazing dinner at Jiko the day before my DHS day was a little more pedestrian. This was the only rope drop I missed in my first four full days, mostly because the busses were awful that morning (I won't blame it on lagging at waking up :)). So after a quick run on TSM, a few drops on ToT and my first ride of Star Tours in almost 20 years it was time for lunch. I really flip-flopped on this one a few times while planning the trip. I had booked 50's prime time but decided at the last minute to see if I could switch to Mama Melrose. I figured this would be a good trip to try a new place.

My ADR was for 12 noon which I believe is the first time available for lunch. I was a little early so I waited at the small bar area by the lobby with a few other families until they were ready to start seating.

They started to rapidly seat us when they were ready and I was placed at a nice two top in the middle of the restaurant. While I perused the menu, I was served some bread and some olive oil and spices/herbs.

While I always am up for some butter, I do like having olive oil instead at times for variety. The bread was a simple roll, but warm and flaky. Seeing the oven on the way in made me seriously consider one of the flatbreads, but I stayed with my original plan...pasta.

This is Penne alla Vodka with Pancetta and Sweet Onion finished with Tomato Basil Sauce, Cream, Vodka, and Pecorino Romano. A very nice, simple pasta meal, perfect for a lighter lunch. When I first received the bowl, I thought to myself, that it was nice to have a smaller portion for lunch. I still had a lot of the day ahead of me and didn't want to be weighed down with a ton of pasta. This bowl was deceiving as it seemed the pasta never ended :)

The pasta was al dente and the sauce was flavorful if not all that complex. I did like the small amount of onion and pancetta added for some variety.

I did not finish the whole thing, but only because I was full, not because I disliked the meal. I know that there are definitely mixed feelings on the board regarding Mama Melrose, but I really enjoyed the meal and would definitely go back.

Excellent Reviews! And your photos are gorgeous!

May I ask, how'd you shoot the fireworks one you posted (P1)??

It's a life goal of mine to get a GOOD fireworks shot. Not sure why I just can't seem to get it right :confused3

Thanks! And can't wait for more! :goodvibes

I'm completely enjoying your review. I live off the reviews of others while waiting for July to start booking our next trip's ADRs.

Excellent Reviews! And your photos are gorgeous!

May I ask, how'd you shoot the fireworks one you posted (P1)??

It's a life goal of mine to get a GOOD fireworks shot. Not sure why I just can't seem to get it right :confused3

Thanks! And can't wait for more! :goodvibes

Thanks for following along. Hope to get a few more reviews up shortly.

I'm glad you like the photos, it's one of my hobbies. As to how I got the fireworks shot I posted I think its a mixture of a few things. First, I have been taking photos for a number of years so experience definitely helps. Second, at the school I previously worked at I sat in on some photo classes to learn more. It didn't hurt that our photo teacher has some of her work in the permanent collection at MOMA :) so having a great mentor helps. And finally, I am thankful to have access to some great equipment. I have a Canon 7D body and, in the case of the photo posted, was using a 24-70 f2.8 lens so those two combined can take great photos under low light. One hint is that I use full manual exposure and tweaked settings til they were where I wanted them. I also think it helped that during this particular volley of fireworks they were very bright and close to a bright castle so the camera was getting a lot of light.

Hope that helps a little and thanks again for following along :)

I'm completely enjoying your review. I live off the reviews of others while waiting for July to start booking our next trip's ADRs.

Thanks for following along. I'm glad you are enjoying the reviews. Hope you get all the ADRs you hope for in July :)

Sorry for the late thank you - but I appreciate your advice for getting those firework's shots!! :goodvibes

Hope more reviews are coming soon!!

HellOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! did the grads make you walk the plank???pirate:
Looking foward to the rest of your reviews!!::surfweb:

I just noticed you're from Nashville, I hope you're not in the flooded area my DIL's family lives there and I know it's hard for you all.WE'RE PRAYING FOR YOU ALL!!

I just noticed you're from Nashville, I hope you're not in the flooded area my DIL's family lives there and I know it's hard for you all.WE'RE PRAYING FOR YOU ALL!!

Hi Godnana,

Thanks for the well wishes. First, the grads did great on the trip, but there was definitely nothing relaxing about the trip for me :) I did have lunch at Sanaa and will definitely be looking to return there in the future.

Second, I live in the Bellevue area of Nashville that was particularly hard hit, though thankfully my apartment was fine. Our high school sits at the confluence of the Harpeth and Little Harpeth rivers and all our athletics fields as well as the bottom floor of our Athletic center flooded. They are now in the process of replacing the gym floor. But in the grand scheme of thing, that is a minor loss compared to the homes in the area. We had around 6 faculty members as well as some family members have major flooding. Thankfully we have a strong community and are working to help out where we can.

I hope to get some more reviews up shortly. Obviously things got crazy :)

Thanks again for checking in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter